1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,716 Posts
    Hey guys, when my computer comes back from repair, I want to install Ubuntu on it. I know that I can do that from a CD/flash drive but I'd like to know how, along with the following questions. Please don't tell me to do a Google search, I want information from people who have used it.

1. How do I put Ubuntu on a CD so I can install/uninstall it whenever? Please explain the whole install process.
    2. Do I need Linux to run Ubuntu?
    3. Is it possible to run certain programs (such as Steam or Windows games) on Ubuntu?
    4. Is Ubuntu a good replacement for Windows?
    5. Am I able to use ATI/Realtek drivers with Ubuntu? (As my computer came with those in them already.) If not, any free drivers I can download?
    6. Is it possible to use a Linksys wireless USB Internet connection with the Ubuntu?
    7. Do I need a keyboard/mouse for Ubuntu or can I use the Windows keyboard/mouse?
    8. What antivirus software is available for Ubuntu?
    9. Post any other comments/answers if you want.

Thanks in advance, guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2

October 2009
    4,686 Posts
    3. Is it possible to run certain programs (such as Steam or Windows games) on Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance, guys.
    I'm not really savvy in linux\unbutu, but I know for a fact that the bolded will not work out well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,716 Posts
    There's one answers, thanks. Any others?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    4,071 Posts
    To put it on a CD/Flash Drive:

1)Insert Flash drive or Cd into PC
    2)Go to wherever it is your downloading Ubuntu from and press download
    3)Select the download location as the disk or flash drive.
    4)Wait for the download to complete
    5)Party

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,716 Posts
    After that, do I install it on the computer & it goes from there (ie, automatically runs)?

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    4,071 Posts
    After that, do I install it on the computer & it goes from there (ie, automatically runs)?
    I don't know from there. Id guess you'd boot from the disk or something. Wait for CombineGuru to check the forums.

7. Post #7
    Facepunch iSeries!
    November 2007
    4,363 Posts
    1. How do I put Ubuntu on a CD so I can install/uninstall it whenever? Please explain the whole install process.
    Look at previous posts or check out unetbootin
    Ubuntu is Linux
    Possibly, Check http://appdb.winehq.org/
    Depends what you're going to use your computer for.
    5. Am I able to use ATI/Realtek drivers with Ubuntu? (As my computer came with those in them already.) If not, any free drivers I can download?
    Ubuntu will most likley support your things 'out of the box', If it finds any updates it will tell you.
    6. Is it possible to use a Linksys wireless USB Internet connection with the Ubuntu?
    Most Likley, yes.
    7. Do I need a keyboard/mouse for Ubuntu or can I use the Windows keyboard/mouse?
    Any regular input device works fine.
    You don't need any!
    http://ubuntuforums.org/ You'll need it at least once...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,726 Posts
    Hey guys, when my computer comes back from repair, I want to install Ubuntu on it. I know that I can do that from a CD/flash drive but I'd like to know how, along with the following questions. Please don't tell me to do a Google search, I want information from people who have used it.

Thanks in advance, guys.
    1. Download IMGBurn, download the ubuntu ISO and burn the ISO to an empty dvd or cd using IMGBurn.
    2. No
    3. It is possible to run several windows games through windows emulators such as Wine, but they will decrease performance and many games do not work that way. If you play a lot of games you should stick with windows, or have dual boot.
    4. Depends on what you want to do with it. If you're a gamer it's not a good replacement. If surfing the web/writing documents/listening to music/watching movies on the computer is all you do then its a good replacement, since Ubuntu doesn't slow down the system as much as windows, thus these tasks will be smoother in Ubuntu.
    5. No idea
    6. No idea
    7. You can use the windows mouse/keyboard.
    8. Many. Check this site out: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

9. Post #9
    August 2008
    1,261 Posts
    You need a CD burner (most PCs come with them) and any CD burning software. Load the ISO file in to the burner (don't put the ISO file ON the CD, you need to load it so all the files INSIDE the ISO are burned to the CD). Then you need to insert it and restart your computer. If no install prompt comes up before Windows boots, come back here as I'm not going to explain how to fix this in this post.*

Ubuntu is Linux.

There is a program called WINE that can emulate some apps but there's a good chance that the apps won't work without tweaking.

Not if you rely on Windows apps. It's good to have Ubuntu and Windows on the same computer so you can run your windows applications.*

You can't use Windows drivers on Linux as they aren't compatible. Linux has a lot of drivers already but it's graphical drivers that you want to be worried about.* (For more info, specify your graphics card and ask for more information.)

Not the drivers that come with the CD, but I'm sure Linux has the drivers built in. Again, a good reason to not install Linux and remove Windows incase of problems.

Nearlly all keyboards and mouses work for Ubuntu. There's a very small percentage that doesn't.

There's some basic virus scanners for Ubuntu and AVG is avaliable for Ubuntu, but the virus threat is very low.

Candles.

*I'm not going further in these subjects in THIS post. Ask for more information because it's totally another box of issues. Especially the graphics drivers, in that case, post your graphics
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,959 Posts
    Side note, check out these if you don't want to use wine:
    http://www.cedega.com/
    http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    There is a program called WINE that can emulate some apps
    Nope, Wine can't emulate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

12. Post #12
    August 2008
    1,261 Posts
    Nope, Wine can't emulate.
    And Ubuntu isn't Linux.
    I'm trying to be general to this new user and not confuse them with technical talk.
    I know WINE isn't an emulater, it just translates Windows calls to native ones.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,716 Posts
    I'm just gonna post my graphics card here.

ATI Radeon HD5750, not sure if it's gonna have a new card or not when I get it back, this thing hasn't been signed over to me yet.

14. Post #14
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    June 2007
    1,658 Posts
    I would suggest you try wubi first, it basically allows you to try out ubuntu from within windows.

http://wubi-installer.org/

Then if you like it, you can go ahead and do a proper installation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    August 2008
    1,261 Posts
    Yeah, try Wubi and as for your card, the Linux community is still working on getting good 3D drivers for the newer cards (atleast using the open source drivers)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,716 Posts
    I heard that Dell sells computers with Ubuntu on them. Anywhere I can get one of them?

Also, how would I dualboot?

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,109 Posts
    Also, how would I dualboot?
    Ubuntu gives you the option to install beside your existing OS and will automatically set up the dual boot for you. Afterwards when you boot you'll see a menu which will let you choose between Windows and Ubuntu.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,716 Posts
    Oh, sweet. Definetly going for it then.

Edited:

Thanks everyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    I'm just gonna post my graphics card here.

ATI Radeon HD5750, not sure if it's gonna have a new card or not when I get it back, this thing hasn't been signed over to me yet.
    With that card you'll need to use the proprietary Ati driver, which sucks on Linux. If you had a slightly older card like a 4870, you could use the open source driver which is much less painful to set up and use. And the open source one rapes the proprietary driver at 2D performance.

The only thing it can't really do is good 3D, but it's getting there.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2008
    17,590 Posts

someone else will have to explain this, because I'm too lazy.
    Ubuntu is a version of Linux
    don't count on it always working, but wine does that
    It's pretty decent, but there are other distributions
    Not Realtek, but Ubuntu will be able to use audio without special drivers. ATI drivers, yes. You'll get a popup saying it wants you to install proprietary drivers.
    yes
    there is no special keyboard/mouse for ubuntu
    clamav, but it's not really necessary. Last virus I knew of to infect any Linux system happened in 2002
    don't install programs for the website, install from the Synaptic package manager

Thanks in advance, guys.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,109 Posts
    I highly recommend making a separate partition for /home, that way if something major breaks you can just reinstall without losing your files. It makes the installation a little more complicated but it's worth it in the long run.

22. Post #22
    June 2009
    867 Posts
    i recommend dual-booting windows(pick your favorite, i don't care), but only if you have a kill switch/can reach your power cable pretty damn fast. i'd only do it for the games, if i were you, as most everything else has a linux/open-source clone. if you got no need for games, pull up ubuntu(if you're concerned about your graphics card, get 9.04 instead of 9.10, since there's a good configuration trick for 9.04 that doesn't work with 9.10). i use ubuntu almost 100%, only using windows or macs when i am called upon for help.

anyways, if you're good and computer savvy, get ubuntu(or another, faster and lighter form of linux. ubuntu is just one of the easiest to install). you will be happier, your computer will have less viruses, and no BSoDs(:psyduck: weird, isn't it?) i find that even windows 7 is laughable in the face of ubuntu, but i've been laughing at windows for too long to change my opinion. (superbar? wtf?) also, it's a lot nicer to your wallet, since it's free and open-source.

just the opinion of an ubuntu user. take it or leave it.

edit: i said 'ubuntu' way too much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,716 Posts
    You're saying I should have both an Ubuntu disc and a Windows disc in case I need to reinstall Windows or can I have only Ubuntu? I used to game a lot but not much now. There are free games for Ubuntu, I heard, so I'll be fine with those and a Steam game or two.

24. Post #24
    August 2008
    1,246 Posts
    And Ubuntu isn't Linux.
    I'm trying to be general to this new user and not confuse them with technical talk.
    I know WINE isn't an emulater, it just translates Windows calls to native ones.
    Ubuntu is Linux, and WINE can't emulate.
    Regardless of him being a new user, it's a basic concept people should understand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    August 2008
    1,261 Posts
    Ubuntu is Linux. and WINE can't emulate.
    Regardless of him being a new user, it's a basic concept people should understand.
    Ubuntu uses Linux as its kernel. Ubuntu is a GNU/Linux distro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    August 2008
    1,246 Posts
    Ubuntu uses Linux as it's kernel. Ubuntu is a GNU/Linux distro.
    Ubuntu is Linux.
    I fail to see why you posted.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,429 Posts
    You know I think you're starting on the wrong foot. From your questions you strike me a someone who has never used anything other than windows OS's, and you're expecting Ubuntu to behave identically to Windows. You know how to install drivers in windows, you know how the windows filesystem works, etc etc, but you're missing just how much is different in not just what's going on in the screen, but the changes in how you're going to organise your files, aquire software, the revelation that files aren't bound by their file extension like in windows, learning to embrace the CLI . I suggest you do some reading first on the big differences between the two. Read about what Linux is and what Ubuntu is and understand what they are as individual entities and how they work together. And then definitely try Wubi for at least a week or so so you can actually gain an understanding about how you approach a linux distro as opposed to Windows.
    You'll get much more out of it for sure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    December 2009
    976 Posts
    I highly recommend making a separate partition for /home, that way if something major breaks you can just reinstall without losing your files. It makes the installation a little more complicated but it's worth it in the long run.
    I didn't have the foresight to do this on my copy of Ubuntu on my second external drive. Whoops.

Anyway,

Just get the LiveCD from the main site and burn the ISO.
    See what other people have said.
    Everyone seems to downplay Wine as being near incompatible with everything, but I've had CS:S running on my external copy of Ubuntu for quite some time now. Granted, I'm stuck at DX8 in it, but it does work perfectly fine aside from a slowdown/crash in smoke grenades (which is probably fixed now that I have a 9800 GT in my machine at home instead of the 8500 I used when I tried gaming on my Ubuntu copy.) Steam is buggy but it works for the most part. Ventrilo is broken for me (crashes when I try to configure my settings) but it seems to work fine for most other people.
    Yes and no. For me, it isn't since I have tons of Windows-dependent programs that I can't live without and that don't work too well under Ubuntu.
    It has its own drivers for your hardware.
    Yes.
    No such thing as an OS-dependent keyboa- oh, yeah, I almost forgot.
    Antivirus in Linux. lol.
    Ubuntu forums are your friend.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    i recommend dual-booting windows(pick your favorite, i don't care), but only if you have a kill switch/can reach your power cable pretty damn fast.
    What?
    I fail to see why you posted.
    Because those two are completely different?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Ubuntu will ship you the CD for free but it takes awhile. Make sure you have a internet connection with that computer. Its really not difficult at all.

31. Post #31

November 2009
    2,618 Posts
    Ubuntu will ship you the CD for free but it takes awhile. Make sure you have a internet connection with that computer. Its really not difficult at all.
    Why ship it when you can download and burn it yourself?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2008
    17,590 Posts
    Why ship it when you can download and burn it yourself?
    I shipped 9.10 because the CD case looked cool. But of course now I have no clue what the fuck I did with it.

33. Post #33
    August 2008
    1,246 Posts
    He means dual boot his favorite Windows flavor and Ubuntu.

Because those two are completely different?
    Uh.
    Ubuntu is a GNU/Linux distro.
    Ubuntu is Linux.
    No. The statements mean the same thing.

Edited:

For clarification because you seem like you don't understand what I mean.
    If I say, for example, Vanilla is a flavor of Ice cream. It's still an Ice cream, it's not a car.
    Ubuntu is a flavor/distribution of Linux. It's still Linux, not a car.

34. Post #34
    August 2008
    1,261 Posts
    Linux is the kernel and GNU is the operating system. Ubuntu is the flavour of GNU and Linux is the cone.

35. Post #35

February 2010
    1 Posts
    Linux is the kernel and GNU is the operating system. Ubuntu is the flavour of GNU and Linux is the cone.
    hey how do i post threads
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

36. Post #36
    August 2008
    1,246 Posts
    And together they make an ice cream, if we are continuing this analogy.
    It's the same with Windows:
    XP is the OS flavor, the kernel is some form of DOS or something - the cone.
    Together, they make an ice cream.

Edited:

hey how do i post threads
    "New Thread" button?

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Except the kernel is the majority of the system with all the drivers built in and all.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    And together they make an ice cream, if we are continuing this analogy.
    It's the same with Windows:
    XP is the OS flavor, the kernel is some form of DOS or something - the cone.
    Together, they make an ice cream.
    Look, I disagree. It's not a misunderstanding, I just think you're plain wrong. GNU/Linux and Linux aren't the same thing, therefore if Ubuntu is a distribution of GNU/Linux, then it obviously isn't Linux. Ubuntu isn't just a patchset over the kernel. It's more than that. It's a specific community, a way of handling package management, a support contract, a backing corporation, a specific view of Free software, and all kinds of other things, all of which have nothing to do with GNU/Linux, and thus even less with just Linux.

The difference would usually not matter too much, but since we were taking special care to be pedant since I brought up Wine and emulation, it's obviously not appropriate to make mistakes when describing Linux too.

39. Post #39
    August 2008
    1,246 Posts
    Look, I disagree. It's not a misunderstanding, I just think you're plain wrong. GNU/Linux and Linux aren't the same thing, therefore if Ubuntu is a distribution of GNU/Linux, then it obviously isn't Linux. Ubuntu isn't just a patchset over the kernel. It's more than that. It's a specific community, a way of handling package management, a support contract, a backing corporation, a specific view of Free software, and all kinds of other things, all of which have nothing to do with GNU/Linux, and thus even less with just Linux.

The difference would usually not matter too much, but since we were taking special care to be pedant since I brought up Wine and emulation, it's obviously not appropriate to make mistakes when describing Linux too.
    Yes, now we're being exact. And I suppose if you look at it like that I made a mistake. Disregard my posts other than WINE is not an emulator.

40. Post #40

November 2009
    2,618 Posts
    I shipped 9.10 because the CD case looked cool. But of course now I have no clue what the fuck I did with it.
    So did I, cause I wanted a sticker, but now they don't send a sticker, nor do they send a cool case. It's a lame little piece of paper.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)