1. Post #721
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    463 Posts
    I'm afraid I don't understand the camp of people that believe that Metallica 'lost it' after Puppets. After Justice, I perfectly understand, when they up and went 'mainstream' or whatever. But what's wrong with Justice?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #722
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,147 Posts
    It's not a bad album, but I just think it's kinda boring.

3. Post #723
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    I likes MoP :saddowns:

4. Post #724
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    3,346 Posts
    Fuck it, I just plain love all of metallicas albums. Death magnetic is awesomme, MoP is awesomme, Ride the Lightning was awesomme.. its all just AWESOMME
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #725
    Brosef Johnson
    December 2008
    6,581 Posts
    MoP is a great album. Master of Puppets, Battery, Welcome Home, The That Should Not Be, Leper Messiah and of course Cliffs masterpiece Orion.

6. Post #726
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,672 Posts
    MoP is a great album. Master of Puppets, Battery, Welcome Home, The That Should Not Be, Leper Messiah and of course Cliffs masterpiece Orion.
    While I'm not a real big fan of Battery, I will definitely agree that the songs Master of Puppets and Leper Messiah are easily up there with Ride the Lightning, Creeping Death, Jump in the Fire, Hit the Lights, and Damage Inc.

Welcome Home is my personal favorite ballad out of all the ones that Metallica have done, and Orion is a damn good instrumental.

To say Master of Puppets is a poor album is an ignorant thing to say (though I don't think anyone here said that). It's an amazing album, and by all standards it's a masterpiece - but it's just not quite as powerful as their previous two albums.

Don't even talk to me about ...And Justice For All, though. To me, that album marked their decline. I just can't really get into it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #727
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,147 Posts
    Yeah, pretty much exactly what Gmod4ever said. It is a very good album. It's just not as good as the first two.

8. Post #728
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,173 Posts
    Listen to Dubstep for half an hour and then switch to Metallica.

Kirk's guitars never sounded so sweet.

9. Post #729
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    Definitely agree, Gmod4ever. After those, they lost it. I mean, MoP is good, but not great. Everything apart from those 3 is pretty boring, I think. Can't get into it.
    I loved 'em through Justice, which was my favorite album. The Black Album is pretty good but not nearly what I want it to be.

Load was...half of an album. The rest was shitty filler and pathetic excuses for hard rock. ReLoad was fucking atrocious. Garage, Inc. was actually really good if you ask me, Death Magnetic was a welcome return but it's still not what I want it to be.

10. Post #730
    Brosef Johnson
    December 2008
    6,581 Posts
    Don't even talk to me about ...And Justice For All, though. To me, that album marked their decline. I just can't really get into it.
    I do agree the album its self is not as good as previous albums but it has To Live Is To Die. That song is just amazing.

11. Post #731
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,117 Posts
    I do agree the album its self is not as good as previous albums but it has To Live Is To Die. That song is just amazing.
    Some would argue that it's the only good ...AJFA song because it's partially written by Cliff, but me? I like all of Metallica's albums, I don't see ...AJFA as the decline, I see it as their 4th consecutive thrash metal album before they branched off into other styles of music until they decided to return to '80s-style thrash with Death Magnetic.

12. Post #732
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,222 Posts
    Death Magnetic was a fantastic album in my opinion. Loaded was absolute shit, and the only good song on ReLoad was Fuel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #733
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,813 Posts
    I WAS BORN FOR DYIIIING !!! FUCK THIS IS GREAT

14. Post #734
    Who wants to come to the aquarium later and watch me screw with the sharks?
    May 2009
    13,038 Posts
    I think the main reason AJFA was disliked by some was because of the awful (Though not as bad as SA) mixing and the songs were longer than they should've been.

15. Post #735
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    I think the main reason AJFA was disliked by some was because of the awful (Though not as bad as SA) mixing and the songs were longer than they should've been.
    Yeah the mixing on AFA sure is awful. It sounds so...empty, and flat.
    It's like, there are drums, and flat guitars on top of that, and flat vocals on top of that.
    You can hear it's good writing still, but you can't really enjoy it.

16. Post #736
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,147 Posts
    I loved 'em through Justice, which was my favorite album. The Black Album is pretty good but not nearly what I want it to be.

Load was...half of an album. The rest was shitty filler and pathetic excuses for hard rock. ReLoad was fucking atrocious. Garage, Inc. was actually really good if you ask me, Death Magnetic was a welcome return but it's still not what I want it to be.
    Yeah, I try hard to love Black because there's some great songs on it but I just can't listen through more than a few songs before get at least a little bored, whereas Kill 'Em All I can listen to (and do, sometimes) for hours on end

17. Post #737
    Brosef Johnson
    December 2008
    6,581 Posts
    Yeah, I try hard to love Black because there's some great songs on it but I just can't listen through more than a few songs before get at least a little bored, whereas Kill 'Em All I can listen to (and do, sometimes) for hours on end
    P much this.

Except I find Seek and Destroy repetitive. Its a great song, just goes for too long when it shouldn't.

18. Post #738
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, AjFA is definitely my favourite Metallica album. IMO there isn't a single weak song on it, whereas their previous albums all have at least one. Ride had Escape, which just does not stand up to the rest of the tracks, Puppets had The Thing That Should not Be, which is one of my least favourite Metallica songs of all time, and for some reason I just don't find Kill 'em All that exciting. I know I'll get flamed for that but I can't help it.

Justice is to me, the peak of Metallica's writing, it's dark, it's angry, it's heavy. I love it

19. Post #739
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,520 Posts
    Ride had Escape
    Escape was epic

20. Post #740
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, AjFA is definitely my favourite Metallica album. IMO there isn't a single weak song on it, whereas their previous albums all have at least one. Ride had Escape, which just does not stand up to the rest of the tracks, Puppets had The Thing That Should not Be, which is one of my least favourite Metallica songs of all time, and for some reason I just don't find Kill 'em All that exciting. I know I'll get flamed for that but I can't help it.

Justice is to me, the peak of Metallica's writing, it's dark, it's angry, it's heavy. I love it
    Well that's jsut your opinion.
    I think The Thing that Should not Be is great, while on AJfA these is Blackened, which is ridicuslously long and not ery interesting.

21. Post #741
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,520 Posts
    But I love Blackened too.
    Why do people dislike some of my favorite 'Tallica songs? :saddowns:

22. Post #742
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    But I love Blackened too.
    Why do people dislike some of my favorite 'Tallica songs? :saddowns:
    Preference I guess
    Blackened has an okay riff, but it really gets booring after a while.

23. Post #743
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,147 Posts
    Preference I guess
    Blackened has an okay riff, but it really gets booring after a while.
    Story of AJFA really. It's not bad, but everything's overly long and they get boring and repetitive.

24. Post #744
    July 2007
    223 Posts
    If AJFA was remastered and remixed, it'd be pretty amazing.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

25. Post #745
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,725 Posts

If AJFA was remastered and remixed, it'd be pretty amazing.
    Look at my youtube channel.

26. Post #746
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,106 Posts
    Here's me view on Metallica in general.

Kill Em All, amazing breakthrough album, simplistic in parts but overall an amazing opening album, awesome riffs, good drums, and with and without Mustaine some excellent leads and general awesome classic speed / thrash writing. (On the whole)

Ride... well Jesus, an amazing album. Ride, Bellz, Fade, Fight, Creep, Escape, Ice need i say more, the weakest song is Escape and i still love it. Ride really is a thrash record, fight is probably the most thrash-y song on a par with Dyers Battery and Nightmare, i've heard Metallica play. Again awesome musical talent displayed, the leads are great and the rhythm is also amazing, and cliff playing on ride, bells, fight and creep especially is fucking amazing to em.

Master - Literally their best album in my opinion, but followed very closely by their other releases. Battery, Master, Sanitarium, Leper, Heroes, Orion, Damage and Thing. Firstly master is one of the best metal songs of all time in my opinion, it has everything in it, amazing thrash, slow, fast, solos, harmonies, awesome drumming vocals etc. Battery and Heroes again are awesome songs, pace and power. Sanitarium and Fade from RTL are amazing ballads and the movement between fast and slow, harsh and soft is amazing. Leper is the weakest for me, and again that's not a criticism, i mean, Orion, Damage, Master, Battery and Heroes could easily hold 5 separate albums together on their own.

Justice - Another amazing album, some really funky odd guitar pieces, especially Harvester, Eye, Frayed, Straw, Die and Dyers. I mean those songs are literally all amazing. I got a remastered version with added bass, and holy fuck, Blackened, Dyers, Die and all the rest sound absolutely brutal, i'd really recommend it if you can find it (PM Me if you need help). All in all an awesome album.

Black - More mainstream and soft, but still absolutely amazing. The song writing and lyric craft, for me, is excellent. Nothing, Sandman, Sad, Holier, Unforgiven, Roam, Never, Wolf, Misery and Struggle are all songs i absolutely love, the only one i don't like is Don't Tread On Me.

Load and ReLoad - I am one of those fans, who loves these albums; metallica showed they can move genres and still make it sound good, Fuel, Memory, Unforgiven II, Low Mans, Bitch, Sleeps, King, Hero, Bleeding, Wasting, Mama and Outlaw are the highlights. Sure a bit hit and miss in places but literally such a funky groovy album, with some really heavy parts along with the very loud and audible kicks from Lars and much more blast beat drum style. I like these albums.

Garage Inc - FUCKING AMAZING.

SM - Also amazing

St. Anger - Well, again, I'm another lover of this album. The turbulence in the band, relationships, human condition, it's all explored in this band, and the was we see each other, music etc, it's all there. Its brutal, its fast its slow, its heavy, but it needed to be polished, it was a raw album with a raw sound, and i still loved it.

Death Magnetic - A Welcome return to earlier form, Ballads in the form of Day and Thrash in Nightmare, Apocalypse, Cyanide, BBS, Judas and Suicide, are all excellent songs, again with new approaches to writing and they're getting some new sounds again, like Justice in some respects with the odd use of new guitar melodies, harmonies, solos and so on. All in all another great album.

My view on Metallica in a nutshell, of course there are some songs that are hit and miss, but i just love all their releases to date because they all display their own character and themes, i'd rather have this than 5 of the same albums every few years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #747
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,520 Posts
    My view on Metallica in a nutshell:
    Every album rocks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #748
    August 2005
    6,672 Posts
    Who here is crossing their fingers and hoping the next album they release is even closer to Ride the Lightning than before, without it being a shameless clone?

James' voice has changed a lot since RtL, and there's no denying that, but I personally enjoy the direction Death Magnetic was going - injecting some of their older thrash while complimenting James' new vocal style.

I hope the new album, whenever it may come out, will be speedier and meatier, while still complimenting James' new voice (which I heartily believe, if the songs are written right, can be just as amazing as his voice was on RtL or Kill Em All).

29. Post #749
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,106 Posts
    Who here is crossing their fingers and hoping the next album they release is even closer to Ride the Lightning than before, without it being a shameless clone?

James' voice has changed a lot since RtL, and there's no denying that, but I personally enjoy the direction Death Magnetic was going - injecting some of their older thrash while complimenting James' new vocal style.

I hope the new album, whenever it may come out, will be speedier and meatier, while still complimenting James' new voice (which I heartily believe, if the songs are written right, can be just as amazing as his voice was on RtL or Kill Em All).
    I am, i agree completely. I prefer the vocals of Justice, it seemed to be his peak in terms of aggressive rasp and clean. I'm definitely looking forward to it, hope its out within a couple of years.

30. Post #750
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,147 Posts
    Can someone post the best song of Death Magnetic? I've not listened to it yet, but it sounds like it's good.

But yeah hopefully he adds more of a rasp to his voice again, like earlier albums. I know he can't do it anymore to the same extent though.(why is this again?)

31. Post #751
    August 2005
    6,672 Posts
    Can someone post the best song of Death Magnetic? I've not listened to it yet, but it sounds like it's good.

But yeah hopefully he adds more of a rasp to his voice again, like earlier albums. I know he can't do it anymore to the same extent though.(why is this again?)
    As far as I know, he blew out his vocal chords doing gigs like Seattle '89.

And these are the best songs from Death Magnetic, in my opinion:

3:15.

32. Post #752
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,000 Posts
    he blew out his voice on The Black Album

33. Post #753
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,147 Posts
    Oh man, 3:20 onwards sounds like it would be SO GOOD with Kill 'Em All vocal style.

And All Nightmare Long is pretty kickass. Does seem to have gone back to the Thrash roots. Although not as much as I'd have hoped. Perhaps the next album will have more Thrash :buddy:

34. Post #754
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,117 Posts
    All Nightmare Long is very riffy, it's just so fucking heavy, thrashy and lyrically brutal. And it gets points for being Metallica's 3rd Lovecraft-inspired song next to The Thing That Should Not Be and The Call of Ktulu.

Cue the obligitary "HUNT YOU DOWN WITHOUT MERC-AY-AH! HUNT YOU DOWN ALL NIGHTMARE LONG!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #755
    June 2010
    97 Posts
    deyeth ah

36. Post #756
    Brosef Johnson
    December 2008
    6,581 Posts
    I'm glad I'm going to see them in September and November

37. Post #757
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,117 Posts
    I'm glad I'm going to seem them September and November
    September and November?

38. Post #758
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,147 Posts
    What you're gonna see them twice fuck you take me with you :saddowns:

39. Post #759
    Brosef Johnson
    December 2008
    6,581 Posts
    Wow I just realized how horrible my grammar was.

And yes, I'm going to 2 shows

40. Post #760
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,106 Posts
    he blew out his voice on The Black Album
    This, 92 i think.

I like every song on DM so i can't recommend any in particular, listen to it all.