1. Post #1361
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    anyone that learned to play drums by listening to deep purple's "fireball" album is amazing
    why would you think he is a bad drummer. people just said that for absolutely no reason to try to piss him off during the napster scandal. there is no weight behind it

Edited:

Most split live albums I've seen have "*band name* appears courtesy of *label name*" so I just assumed that meant the label was involved in some way, due to the album being a commercial product containing music the label kinda (I think) owns the rights to.

Which is why I said they should do it under a different name the labels can't fuck them with.
    you have no idea how label exclusivity works.

2. Post #1362
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    i dont think he is "Bad" in the sense he has bad technique and plays with no felling, or bad timings, he is good in the sense of technique and feeling and timings, but he is bad in the sense he DOESNT FUCKING PRACTICE AND DOESNT EVEN PLAY HIS OWN SONGS RIGHT and not doing the double bass on any song except fight fire with fire

and then the record companies make it worse by adding in the double bass

3. Post #1363
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    What do you mean not play his own songs right?

and if he doesn't practice, it's really no big deal. He plays two hour long shows. I wouldn't hold such a thing against him. who cares

4. Post #1364
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,120 Posts
    i dont think he is "Bad" in the sense he has bad technique and plays with no felling, or bad timings, he is good in the sense of technique and feeling and timings, but he is bad in the sense he DOESNT FUCKING PRACTICE AND DOESNT EVEN PLAY HIS OWN SONGS RIGHT and not doing the double bass on any song except fight fire with fire

I think the lack of double bass is due to him getting a bit older and slower. And don't come back saying "but Dave Lombardo can still do it" because that only means that Dave can do it, it says nothing about Lars.
    anyone that learned to play drums by listening to deep purple's "fireball" album is amazing
    why would you think he is a bad drummer. people just said that for absolutely no reason to try to piss him off during the napster scandal. there is no weight behind it

Edited:

you have no idea how label exclusivity works.
    How is it that whenever someone else posts something you disagree with you'll give some kind of reasonable response with an explanation of sorts but with me you'll just say I'm wrong without any kind of helpful justification? I'm not trying to sound like a whiny little bitch but it'd be nice if we could act like civilized people even on the internet.

Edited:

Yeah, what do you mean about him not playing the songs right? He modifies the drumming in a bunch of songs but he's just doing that to play it in a different way. Kirk plays the small solos in Fade to Black and One different to the album but I don't hear you complaining about that.

5. Post #1365
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    creeping death, doesnt even play the tom build up after the floor tom intro.
    disposable heros, he doesnt play the part after the intro right, doesnt play some fills, plays most fills wrong
    blackened, doesnt even attempt to play most of the fills right

not doing double bass on songs like battery, dyers eve, blackened, through the never, master of puppets, fade to black , ride the lightning, disposable heros, or any song that is 1\4 on the high hat. plus completely failing to be able to do the machine gun crescendo on the double bass in one. thats my issue with his not practicing.

Edited:

im a drummer so i notice changes to drums as opposed to changes in guitars. whenever i listen to metallica im more or less listening to the drums and the vocals.\

Edited:

I think the lack of double bass is due to him getting a bit older and slower.
    which is because of his lack of practicing.
    his arms can still do it. he can still play the fast snare after the snare+hat start of damage inc

Edited:

actually now that i think of it, he does do double on the magnetic album. rather fast on cyanide. could be dubbed in though

6. Post #1366
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,120 Posts
    I can't speak for most of the songs you mentioned but I when I saw them live he definitely played the double bass in the Death Magnetic songs and Fade to Black

7. Post #1367
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    I've seen them twice and he definitely did the machine gun in One on both occasions

8. Post #1368
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    oh really? that's a glimmer of hope. i take back part of my argument.

Edited:

he does do it, but listening to it on youtube he doesnt do it well at all.

9. Post #1369
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,120 Posts
    I didn't understand what he meant by machine gun but I just realised it's what I normally call the double bass bursts before the fast solos.

10. Post #1370
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    gerbile referred to it as the machine gun crescendo so I thought I'd use his term to keep it making sense

11. Post #1371
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    im pretty sure thats the crescendo right? or is the snare bursts in the next part of the song the machine gun?

yeah i know that trout. its just that i dont remember if the crescendo was the snare bursts or the bass bursts

12. Post #1372
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    The "darkness imprisoning me" section and the double kick preceding it is what I was meaning

13. Post #1373
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    if anything about lars that i like, i think him downgrading his kit was respectable. my drum instructor made a good point a few months ago. he told me he went from a huge 5 tom, double bass, shitload of cymbal setup back to a double pedal, single bass, one rack, one floor and 2 crash setup because you use more creativity to make up new fills and make new sounds out of the smaller kit as opposed to the huge kit. or something like that

14. Post #1374
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    disposable heros, he doesnt play the part after the intro right, doesnt play some fills, plays most fills wrong

not doing double bass on songs like battery, dyers eve, blackened, through the never, master of puppets, fade to black , ride the lightning, disposable heros, or any song that is 1\4 on the high hat. plus completely failing to be able to do the machine gun crescendo on the double bass in one. thats my issue with his not practicing.

Edited:

im a drummer so i notice changes to drums as opposed to changes in guitars. whenever i listen to metallica im more or less listening to the drums and the vocals.\

Edited:

which is because of his lack of practicing.
    his arms can still do it. he can still play the fast snare after the snare+hat start of damage inc

Edited:

actually now that i think of it, he does do double on the magnetic album. rather fast on cyanide. could be dubbed in though
    As much as I don't like Lars and as much as I say that he's really dropped the ball in terms of skill and even playing some of their greatest songs incorrectly, Lars most definitely plays One full-force in concert.

15. Post #1375
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    How is it that whenever someone else posts something you disagree with you'll give some kind of reasonable response with an explanation of sorts but with me you'll just say I'm wrong without any kind of helpful justification? I'm not trying to sound like a whiny little bitch but it'd be nice if we could act like civilized people even on the internet.
    because you've never been right about everything. you're the only person on this whole forum that I can't even bother to actually explain my points on because it feels just pointless at this point.

Edited:

point point point point

Edited:

you can't play fills "wrong." The whole point of them is to sound interesting and new. If he played them the same way every time, it'd be boring. Fills are where the drummer gets to get "oof" of the beat and have a bit of fun.

the double bass is unfortunate but forgivable. He only learned to properly play pretty late into his career and never really had time to properly hone such skills. Starting to learn 20 years into it might not be what he wants to do.
    I wouldn't call him bad, just not great technically. His style is still very distinctive.

16. Post #1376
    Brosef Johnson
    December 2008
    6,630 Posts
    Am I the only one here who actually enjoy listening to Metallica?

17. Post #1377
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,120 Posts
    Am I the only one here who actually enjoy listening to Metallica?
    I do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #1378
    Dennab
    August 2010
    2,500 Posts
    Just because someone doesn't practice doesn't make them bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #1379
    Dennab
    January 2011
    1,205 Posts
    I still think their best album was Metallica :colbert:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #1380
    Dennab
    August 2010
    2,500 Posts
    My favourite varies from time to time.

21. Post #1381
    Brosef Johnson
    December 2008
    6,630 Posts
    MoP is first for me. Then I can't decide between RtL, AJFA or Kill 'em All.

22. Post #1382
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    ride the lightning is the best, kill em all is my fav
    I'll always stand by that

23. Post #1383
    Dennab
    January 2011
    1,205 Posts
    My opinion: Metallica > AJFA > Load > KEA > RTL > MoP > Death Magnetic > ReLoad > St. Anger

Fans opinion: MoP > RTL/KEA/AJFA > Metallica > Death Magnetic > ReLoad > Load > St. Anger

Noobs opinion: Metallica > Load > St. Anger > wait, theres more?

The Truth:    KEA=RTL=MOP=AFJA=Metallica=Load=ReLoad=St. Anger=Death Magnetic   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

24. Post #1384
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,689 Posts
    In my opinion Ride The Lightning was always their best.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #1385
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    AJFA erry day for me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #1386
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,647 Posts
    Kill Em All or Master of Puppets is realistically their greatest albums for me.

I don't think St. Anger is their worst.

27. Post #1387
    Dennab
    January 2011
    1,205 Posts
    Yes I get it music elitist

28. Post #1388
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,647 Posts
    Who asked for your opinion?

29. Post #1389
    Dennab
    January 2011
    1,205 Posts
    Nobody, but I gave it anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

30. Post #1390
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,647 Posts
    I listen to music for my own discovery.
    It's all about how we can discover which is why we feel more at home in this section.

Opinions are always going to be our own, no better nor worse.

31. Post #1391
    Dennab
    January 2011
    1,205 Posts
    You realise I was being sarcastic

32. Post #1392
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,647 Posts
    I was indirectly talking to you. :smug:

33. Post #1393
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts

you can't play fills "wrong." The whole point of them is to sound interesting and new. If he played them the same way every time, it'd be boring. Fills are where the drummer gets to get "oof" of the beat and have a bit of fun.

the double bass is unfortunate but forgivable. He only learned to properly play pretty late into his career and never really had time to properly hone such skills. Starting to learn 20 years into it might not be what he wants to do.
    I wouldn't call him bad, just not great technically. His style is still very distinctive.
    but- well- sadfdsfsdfsdfsdfsdfgfcxgjghkhj
    i never looked at it that way
    winner winner chicken dinner sir

34. Post #1394
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts

but- well- sadfdsfsdfsdfsdfsdfgfcxgjghkhj
    i never looked at it that way
    winner winner chicken dinner sir

35. Post #1395
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,004 Posts
    Cliff era > everything else
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #1396
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,254 Posts
    I thought everyone knew that

37. Post #1397
    Dennab
    January 2011
    1,205 Posts
    If every album had the same production as AJFA, I'd be out of a job.

38. Post #1398
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    Cliff era > everything else
    no
    justice is best

Edited:

cliffs basslines are best basslines though, but i do give trujillo a lot of credit for pushing metallica back to their roots/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #1399
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,004 Posts
    justiced was the worst mixed album

where is the bass

if there is no bass it is not enjoyable
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #1400
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    i can see past production. are you really that shallow? it had some of, if not the best guitar work, drum lines, and lyrical writing of all the metallica albums.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)