1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,412 Posts

:siren: The game has been reset somewhere this midnight (Saturday 27 February) with a full wipe, and a new map to explore, along with updates! The server might be laggy the first few days/week due to the massive amount of users willing to play - 300+ is a lot for a student-home-run server!

"Haven & Hearth is a MMORPG set in a fictional world loosely inspired by Slavic and Germanic myth and
    legend. The game sets itself apart from other games in the genre in its aim to provide players with an
    interactive, affectable and mutable game world, which can be permanently and fundamentally changed and
    affected through actions undertaken by the players. Our fundamental goal with Haven & Hearth is to create
    a game in which player choices have permanent and/or lasting effects and, thus, providing said players
    with a meaningful and fun gaming experience blah blah blah"

Haven and Hearth is a small indie MMO in which you build towns with other players, trade with them, rob
    them or even murder them. It has a surprising amount of content for an MMO built by two guys in their
    free time and gets regular updates nearly every weekend. You can build everything you want in this game,
    whole towns built from nothing but forests, Castle towns built
    between natural barriers and even fortresses of brick walls as far as the eye can see. Everything
    in this game is built by players and you can take it all from them.

Features
    [list][*] No restraints on player vs player combat.[*] Permadeath - Your rear end is gone when you die.[*] No Item Protection - You can rob people blind, and destroy their stuff.[*] Extensive Crafting - Possible to make large amounts of varied objects.[*] Alpha - You get new features to dick around with about once a week.[*] Combat System - Not just click and attack, there are several combat options.[*] Limited Terraforming - Boulders and trees disappear once used. Planted grass and paved stone.[*] No Admin Punishment - You won't get punished for being an rear end in a top hat.[*] No Ingame Staff - Except for the 2 devs. You see them walking around occasionally.[/list]
    Where is the game?
    It uses Java to launch: http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/autohaven
    The actual website is: http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/

The trailer is very old, but it does show you how many things have changed since the alpha began in early summer
    of this year.

Do I have to grind?
    The choice is up to you. The game has a somewhat unique system. You gain experience for most actions. You
    can use those to buy skills, or upgrade your skillvalues for crafting or combat. Most of the skills don't
    take very long to get.

Are there monsters?
    No, but there is the local wildlife. The difficulty of them shifts with the level of civilization - which
    is determined by how many hearthfires, and cabins are in a area. There are cows, foxes, chickens, rabbits,
    sheep, boars and bears.

Foxes aren't aggressive, Bears get aggressive at level 5. The bears are not to be underestimated, as most people can't fight them. Also flames shoot out of a bear's eyes when its near death, and it hits 100% more often.

Is it free?
    Yes.

Permadeath?
    If someone murders your character. You lose a ton. While not full on permadeath, you can make a descendant
    of your previous character. You lose all of your items, assloads of stats, your player name, and you keep
    a LP amount based on your Tradition/Change belief slider. Also this character can't be named after the
    previous. You also leave a corpse, which decays into a skeleton which is around forever.

To fix the camera: whenever you login press the : key, type in "cam fixed", and then press ENTER.
    [list][*] Leftclick to move, rightclick to interact.[*] Leftclick items in your inventory to pick them up - one click to stick an item to your cursor, another
    leftclick on your inventory to release it, leftclick in the game world to drop the item at your feet.[*] Rightclick an item in your inventory to open a radial menu of available commands.[*] SHIFT+leftclick moves items from one container to the most recent one you opened.[*] CTRL+leftclick drops items on the ground.[*] Click+drag only works when setting skills/items to your hotbar[*] To use an item on an object, the rule is leftclick item + rightclick target. (For example, leftclick
    a bucket, rightclick a cow to milk it. Pour tea into a mug by leftclicking the teapot and rightclicking the mug.)[*] To use any sort of constructed tool, like a Spinning Wheel, you need to rightclick it to get your character
    to walk over to it. Once you do that, you can craft the items that require the tool from the crafting menu.[*] Radial menus will accept numbers instead of mouseclicks for anything besides items. The top choice is 1,
    then clockwise from there.[/list]

Guide to the UI
    Which direction is north?

You begin formless and nameless. Rightclick on the man to fashion yourself a body and the woman to choose a
    name. If you have died previously on this account, there will be runestones on the left where you can inherit
    the legacy of one of your past characters.

Rightclick on the chest and SHIFT-leftclick all of the items within it to transfer them to your inventory.
    Press CTRL+E to bring up your equipment window; SHIFT-leftclick your new clothing to wear it. It can be
    dangerous to go without shoes, so at least wear those.

You can enter a hearth secret to the detective in the top corner, this is a password that a user can set so you will be teleported somewhere near that users hearthfire. This can be useful for gathering with other facepunchers.

Rightclick the ladder to leave the starting area. You are sent to a random place in the wilderness.

Do not build a hearthfire immediately when you first begin.

IRC link

As a total newbie, you can do the following: make fires and make baskets. I suggest making a ton of fires.
    Rightclick a tree, Take Branch until you're full, and build a campfire. Do this a bunch until you get 200 LP.
    Once you have that, open your character sheet with CTRL+T and click the middle icon to go to your skills page.
    This is where you learn new things.

DO NOT BUY SWIMMING.

Anyway, get Pottery. Head down to your nearest river and start digging clay with (A>D) Craft some treepots
    with (C>M>O) Drop them on the ground and keep digging clay. This is a good way to gain your first couple
    thousand LP for all the cool skills...

Skill Tree

Your default movement speed is set to Walk when you log in. You can cycle through the different speeds by
    pressing CTRL+R or leftclicking a specific one. As your stamina drains, the higher speeds will become unavailable
    to you. Sprinting always drains stamina, and Running drains stamina when on forest terrain. Certain terrains will
    deny you the higher speeds; for example, you cannot sprint on forest and you cannot run in water.

Stamina can be refilled by standing still, drinking water, or drinking tea. The first two make you hungrier.

The middle three levels of Hunger have no effect; at Stuffed, you slow to a crawl and at Starving you begin to
    lose HHP. You can die from this!

"Soft" hit points will slowly regenerate while your Hunger is 80+. "Hard" hit points are more difficult to
    recover, requiring bandaging or leeches. (The former being the safer of the two methods.)

Happiness is a placeholder and does nothing; Authority you dont need to worry about.

Strength influences damage for melee combat, how efficient you are at destroying objects/constructions,
    and affects a bit of the crafting.
    Agility determines the maximum distance you can teleport.
    Intelligence is a placeholder attribute that does nothing.
    Constitution affects your maximum hit points and determines how well you swim. Swimming is very dangerous
    and should only be attempted by veteran players - don't even buy the skill!
    Perception affects how well you track criminals and forage for rare herbs.
    Charisma is a placeholder attribute currently only used by village leaders.
    Dexterity influences many of the crafting skills.
    Psyche affects some of the crafting skills.

You gain stats from food. Each food item gives a set amount of points towards a stat attribute in the FEP bar,
    its a total to determine the chance you have when the bar is full to gain said stat. The highest stat determines
    how many points is needed to finish the FEP bar.

When you start, attitude sliders can be shifted one step once every ingame day of played time - every eight
    hours IRL. Please note that time spent AFK does not count. Each attitude change will also push your character
    one step towards Change on the Tradition/Change slider. As you become closer to change, sliders can be shifted
    more often.

Skill Tree

Let's take a look at these, starting with the Adventure category:

The cursor changes, allowing your character to carry large objects within the game world by leftclicking them.
    Rightclick to cancel this action. Once you lift something, your movement speed is reduced to a crawl. Rightclick
    the ground to set it down, or SHIFT+rightclick to set it down aligned to the grid. Carrying large objects drains
    your stamina. I recommend setting this to hotbar #1.

The cursor changes into a bundle of sticks - leftclick within the game world to ready a buildsite. Which brings
    us to this window:

Open your inventory with TAB and SHIFT+leftclick branches to transfer them to the buildsite. Once you have all
    of the needed materials 'readied', click the build button to complete your campfire. A timer will appear and you
    will gain LP as the readied materials slowly become 'used'.

You cannot place new buildsites on unallied claimed land. You can use them as storage for readied materials, as
    buildsites never decay.

Rightclick your campfire to open its menu. Choose 'Light' - the timer will appear and you will gain more LP.

For now, this only lets you enter claimed land. It does much more later on. You do leave traces of your crime
    when you use this, which can be tracked to you (when online) or your hearthfire.

If you have the required skill and the needed materials, you can repair damaged objects by leftclicking them
    with this. Wooden objects usually require Carpentry, for example.

Leftclick on an object to destroy it. This is heavily dependent on your Strength attribute. Equipping an axe
    gives a bonus; equipping a pickaxe gives an even larger one, but uses both hands. This is a heavy drain on your
    stamina. Some objects have "soak" and ignore damage unless you have high enough STR to bypass the soak.

Teleportation! The maximum distance you can travel is dependent on your Agility attribute. Choose from one of
    several destinations - the Ring of Brodgar, your hearthfire, your village idol, a nearby crossroads. If you are
    lifting an object, it is taken with you. Using this ability gives the Travel Weariness debuff; you cannot Travel
    while under this effect.

Moving on to the Build category, this basket is the first container you can create. It costs ten branches, holds
    two rows of three slots, and is relatively easy to destroy. Gives LP.

Used to recover from Travel Weariness while logged out, with the Quality of the materials used to determine
    exactly how quickly. It costs ten straw and one hide. To use it, rightclick it and select Sleep from the menu.
    (It will automatically send you to the login screen.)

You are unable to enter combat as a new character, so let's move on to the Craft category:

Eating raw meat may eventually cause you to lose health. Rightclick on a lit campfire and select this skill
    to cook raw meat in your inventory. The Craft button will perform this action once; the Craft All button will
    repeat this action until you have used all of the required materials. Gives LP.

A one-handed tool used to create boards from a log.

A small cup made from birch bark, for drinking water. Gives LP.

Use: Leftclick the kuksa and then rightclick it on shallow water, a well, or a water barrel to fill it. It
    can also be filled from another item such as a bucket or flask - leftclick the other item and then rightclick
    the kuksa to pour the water into it. Rightclick the kuksa and select Drink from the radial menu to use it.

The axe is a one-handed tool made from chipped stone and a branch. It is used for treecutting, removing stumps,
    chopping a log into wooden blocks, destroying objects/constructions, and as a weapon. Gives LP.

[list]
    Useful things new players can do to help out the village:
    [*] Make Linen Cloth - We can trade this for stuff, and use it to expand the size of our village, which
    is useful. Quality doesn't matter AT ALL.[*] Make Butter - We always need lots of butter for cooking sweet foods like Carrot Cakes or Butter Steamed Cavebulbs.
    It's a pain in the rear end, and I'd rather be out killing animals so we can get more str and agility foods, etc.[*] Murder Cows and Sheep and Rabbits! - This stuff caps at Quality 10, so it's great for newbies to get. Lots of LP
    for the killing, butchering, and sausage making, too.[*] MAKE BRICKS - We're going to layer our walls at least 4 thick, and that means we need thousands and thousands of
    bricks. Grab 4 chests and a cart, go to the river, and dig clay til you hate yourself. We will love you forever.[*] Farm Wheat - Make Flour - Make Bread or Bagels or whatever. This is surprisingly good LP, especially
    Flour > Bread > Chantrelle Onion Pirozhkis. It's like crafting 3 items in a row. Pirozhkis and Rings of Brodgar
    (Bagels) are valuable trade commodities, and good foods to boot.[*] Cut trees and haul lumber - Grab a cart, go out into the woods and cut some Fir Trees. Put the logs in the cart,
    take 'em home. Lots of things don't care about wood quality, so we just need volume. Leave them as logs, because
    blocks and boards disappear if left on the ground. Clear treestumps for LP and blocks if you feel like it.[*] Just generally gain LP for yourself.[/list]
    Shamelessly ripped from SA to Jackard(/Delamore?)

Edited:

I'll update this thread a bit with my own content, for now I just want to get this game popular under facepunch again, and fast! Details on the facepunch village will follow when I actually get ingame my goddamn self.

Links/Resources:
    Official Website
    H&H Wiki
    Haven official IRC channel! - Leave a message to g1real to imply you're checking this game out, or on the topic of course.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 6Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    5,718 Posts
    Oh yes. I remember this, lots of fun when you get a group of people to make a settlement.

Too bad I never caught up with the guys from FP from the previous thread, I had to train on my own .:saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Poland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3

January 2010
    407 Posts
    Looks like Cow RP but actually fun.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    5,718 Posts
    Oh yeah, are there more trees then before?

If not, do they grow back eventually after being chopped?

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,412 Posts
    The default tile is now forest, so trees are fucking everywhere.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    5,718 Posts
    That's good, but do they regrow?

Oh wow, we have to make new characters and the game itself lags like hell.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,614 Posts
    This used to be awesome.
    Great that they did a complete wipe, i can begin again.
    Gogo facepunch town?

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    793 Posts
    Ah, I remember, last summer I was obsessed with this. I helped build New Brodgar up North above the RoB and I ended up leaving about a week before they implemented boats.

9. Post #9
    mwg
    February 2010
    486 Posts
    Looks like fun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    May 2009
    4,977 Posts
    I made the first ever FP settlement, I am so proud. :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    September 2008
    193 Posts
    Last time the majority of facepunchers quit because they all have the attention span of a fly.

Edited:

Including my friend, who got bored ten seconds into the game after finding out he couldn't go on EPIC FACEPUNCH RAID within the first five minutes of playing the game.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,895 Posts
    So, Where the fuck do I go from here, Heh, I just got pottery, Best part? No Fucking Place to put pottery, So I buy hunting, Then I'm gonna buy Combat since I want to kill this blockade of flogs jumping everywhere.

Edited:

There seems to also be these black bugthings around the hill, They dangerous? Also. Where the fuck is anyone? Can't find anyone.

13. Post #13
    September 2008
    193 Posts
    You spawn in the wilderness, so it's likely nobody is near you.

14. Post #14
    The Feral Chicken formerly known as "El Pollo Diablo"
    January 2008
    4,193 Posts
    Man how big is the download.
    been taking me awhile.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,895 Posts
    You spawn in the wilderness, so it's likely nobody is near you.

Ffffuuuccckk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    September 2008
    193 Posts
    It shouldn't be that big, but a a lot of people are playing right now. So the server is probably going through some stress.
    I don't know.

17. Post #17
    January 2008
    4,193 Posts
    I can't make a fire something about construction materials.

*edit nevermind done it.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,412 Posts
    That's good, but do they regrow?

Oh wow, we have to make new characters and the game itself lags like hell.
    Thank you for reading the OP. No, trees do not regrow.

Edited:

I made the first ever FP settlement, I am so proud. :buddy:
    And failed horribly no one cares die in a fire.

Just kidding, but seriously, do you need to brag every thread about this :monocle:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,412 Posts
    Make the lag stop :crying:

20. Post #20
    January 2008
    4,193 Posts
    Yeah the game is extremely laggy.
    Not sure if it's because im australian or what.

Also how the hell to get clay im near some tiny little green river i use dig but all i get is soft soil.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,412 Posts
    If you want prevent ants from attacking you while raiding their hills, don't get hunting.

Edited:

It's laggy because so many are people are playing it now and a shitty homeserver with a home connection just wont run it :V

22. Post #22
    January 2008
    4,193 Posts
    Ok i found out the green river didn't work so i found some lake im on the shore digging getting 5 points but no clay?
    also i bought fishing and trying to fish and it's saying you need to fully equip fishing rod or something? its equipped.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,789 Posts
    The website is down.

24. Post #24
    January 2008
    4,193 Posts
    Ok im soo gonna do soon or later i don't know how to get food or anything.
    all my food gone im going to die......

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,412 Posts
    clay is limited to 1 per tile as far as I know now, I can't get ingame at all because the client refuses to update.

26. Post #26
    July 2009
    254 Posts
    Webpage ain't openin'

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,412 Posts
    Temporarily solution to get client:

- Google pacho's client
    - Use git deposit > downloads
    - Download 32bit windows version
    - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...28367219987265 < replace pacho's haven.jar with this one
    - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...48746048881558 < replace pacho's haven-res.jar

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    607 Posts
    Got in the lag-filled server, thanks to the client g1real posted. Created a new character. Since I wanted a source of water, I headed east in search of an unlimited supply of one.
    After a journey of several kilometers, I gave up hope, and walked back while still lagging. I realized I was lost and traveled back to my hearthfire. Without too much hope, I headed the other way.
    After 5 steps west I found a huge river.

I think this game and I will get along just great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    May 2009
    4,977 Posts
    Thank you for reading the OP. No, trees do not regrow.

Edited:

And failed horribly no one cares die in a fire.

Just kidding, but seriously, do you need to brag every thread about this :monocle:
    :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,895 Posts
    I have a similar Story Eve.

So, I'm walking across and find a deserted barren place, Only one tree in sight, in which I promptly said fuck it and walking back, As I'm walking back, I encounter a Bear, just to have him camp me while I'm uncouncious (Which is thankful since I thought I died.) After he goes away, I walk West again, Trying to find a rabbit to kill.

Suddenly, I encounter another bear, In which It promptly doesn't want me to leave because it camps me until I logged off due to anger.

31. Post #31
    May 2009
    4,977 Posts
    When I do Run.bat and log in, I just get a black screen. :frown:

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,412 Posts
    Yeah bears can suck, bite trough it, get carpentry, make a wall with 1 tile wide entrances, you can flee inside to it if you find a bear.

Edited:

The server is online and somewhat less laggy now, you can spawn near me by asking my hearth secret on irc.

Try not to mess shit up, I'll be making some beds for nearby spawners.

Edited:

You can join #havencake on IRC for further instructions. I'm going to sleep soon.

Edit:

Yes Rayven that ban was douchy

33. Post #33
    January 2008
    4,193 Posts
    This game is pretty fun besides trying to get food constantly
    got my brother,cousin,mate and me to go and steal someguys stuff.
    shit's funny.

34. Post #34
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,262 Posts
    Is it me, or is their page seriously overloaded?

Edited:

So, do you start a FP village or something, g1real? I would like to try this out.

35. Post #35
    May 2009
    4,977 Posts
    Why can't I fish? I have my pole equipped and I have the fishing skill.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,412 Posts
    I'm a bit laggeh, I can't play sometimes, hop on #havencake and ask me or swebonny for the pw to my area

37. Post #37
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,262 Posts
    I seemingly cannot download the client. I follow the link on the page, the file gets opened by javaws, but then the download of the client itself hats at random time.

38. Post #38
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,129 Posts
    Yeah the game is pretty slow at the moment. It has now over 250 players online most of the time when it was around 40 max a few months ago.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,412 Posts
    The game is lagless right now, so if you want a chance at it you can always try it at night.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,895 Posts
    Well then, Time to make a new character and this time -Stay the fuck away from bears-