1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    15,981 Posts
    This thread is out of date, continue discussion in the sticked thread in this subforum.

Notes before you start speculating/reading:

:siren:THE BABEL SITE IS NOT AN OFFICIAL SOURCE, DON'T REFER TO IT. It is fan made:siren:

:siren:aperturescience.com HASN'T BEEN UPDATED SINCE '07, STOP USING IT!:siren:

:siren:Do not call the BBS numbers. All your doing is slowing the people who can actually connect to it down. So stop it.:siren:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so as we know or should know today valve released a sneaky update that added radio transmissions to the original Portal radios. The radios only appear after you've completed the campaign and have the heartbreaker achievement.

You can see it here :

Well there are 26 total radio transmissions codenamed "Dinosaur"

FP has been at work decoding these sounds as much as they could. We've learned that you must decode them using SSTV, a program used to turn sounds into images.

So far we have these :

ThisIsPain has translated the morse codes from Dinosaur 1, 5, 12, and 17.

Morse codes:

Dinosaur1: INTERIOR TRANSMISSION ACTIVE EXTERNAL DATA LINE ACTIVE MESSAGE DIGEST ACTIVE

Dinosaur5:
    9E107D9D372BB6826BD81D3542A419D6

Dinosaur12: SYSTEM DATA DUMP ACTIVE USER BACKUP ACTIVE PASSWORD BACKUP ACTIVE

Dinosaur17: BEEP BEEEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEEP BEEEEP BEEEEP BEEP BEEEEP BEEP BEEP
    Becomes .-.. --- .-.. Or...."LOL"
    Images converted from sound by using SSTV :siren:Updated As Of 3/2/10 at 9:31 PM EST for reason : Higher Quality:siren:

dinosaur2

dinosaur3

dinosaur4

dinosaur6

dinosaur7

dinosaur8

dinosaur9

dinosaur10

dinosaur11

dinosaur13

dinosaur14

dinosaur15

dinosaur16

dinosaur18

dinosaur19

dinosaur20

dinosaur21

dinosaur22

dinosaur23

dinosaur24

dinosaur25

dinosaur26

On number 3 and 10 is a string of numbers, a BBS code. Or a phone number. Here, our fellow FP'er lilcheeselad has searched the phone number decoded by ZPR23 from steam forums

zpr23 posted:
    From images: 9459C6CAC8C203B8128B7CC63068D4FD
    Translates to BBS#: (425) 822-5251
    425 is a Seattle area code.
    Calling resulted in what sounded like a modem.
    Someone translate that!

I'll update the OP when something new is discovered
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Like what we do here? Join the steam group and give a hand!

Click to join the steamgroup!

We Have A Ventrillo Channel. Talk Live With Fellow Faceunchers!

Guniv - Vent Detials posted:
    IP : 69.90.34.26
    Port : 4014
    Password : imperium
    Slots : 125
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    :siren:Update: 3/2/10 9:22 PM EST

The BBS was updated as it went back up today. We managed to snag a few images. See them below :

instead of a screencap, he left this:
    http://thebyrus.pastebin.com/cxrnuReW

also: this

Update: 3/2/10 6:27 PM EST

shakadamus has found a nice colored version of the picture below. For comparison purposes both will be kept in the OP. You can see it here (Note : Updated old image) :

Update: 3/2/10 4:08 PM EST

Hooded sniper has cleaned up the infamous sound clip retrieved from calling the BBS code.

Much higher quality of the infamous clip with Thats Amazing in it, also listen around at 18 to the end, either alyx or judith is talking.

[url]
    Update : 3/2/10 2:00 PM EST

People have been connecting to the phone number above with a modem and received results, here are the images compiled together:

Update: 3/1/10

ThisIsPain has translated the morse codes from Dinosaur 1, 5, 12, and 17.

Morse codes:

Dinosaur1: INTERIOR TRANSMISSION ACTIVE EXTERNAL DATA LINE ACTIVE MESSAGE DIGEST ACTIVE

Dinosaur5:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative x 95Useful x 6Late x 1Agree x 1Funny x 1Artistic x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2009
    9,936 Posts
    :iiam:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 63Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Strong Member
    January 2007
    8,019 Posts
    Someone did a noise filter using the noise file on the fizzle file (what) on the steam forums.

Was it posted here?
    http://wtfcountry.com/download/file.php?id=284
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

4. Post #4
    June 2009
    1,859 Posts
    This is starting to get interesting, hopefully it relates to Episode 3 or Portal 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

5. Post #5
    January 2010
    940 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    15,981 Posts
    The area code 485 is in Seattle, which is where valve HQ is located

Edited:

Don't know if that's been mentioned yet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    I'll Go all tadpole on you
    June 2005
    1,248 Posts
    Info Dump :siren:

Fizzle reversed, barely make out what seems to sound like, "we need him alive" or "still alive"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

8. Post #8
    January 2009
    8,524 Posts
    Creepy shit :ohdear:

Also, some of my findings got into a megathread :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    January 2009
    334 Posts
    Do you want the image for the series of 32 images in order?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    January 2010
    940 Posts
    Should we keep our main discussion in the other thread?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,976 Posts
    ThisIsPain has translated the morse codes, update the op.

Morse codes:

Dinosaur5:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Late Late x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    June 2008
    470 Posts
    I bet valve is laughing their asses off about this whole thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Strong Member
    January 2007
    8,019 Posts
    I swear to god.
    In the reversed version, you can hear "YOU ARE NEXT"

:ohdear:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree x 43Funny x 2Friendly x 2Disagree x 1Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    July 2009
    9,936 Posts
    Makol says it's a math problem.
    A BIG MATH PROBLEM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,699 Posts
    Should put the morse codes before the images.

16. Post #16
    June 2009
    71 Posts
    Here's someone dialing up the BBS number from the Steam forums: http://www.supload.com/listen?s=tyXqpe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    January 2009
    8,524 Posts
    ThisIsPain has translated the morse codes, update the op:

Morse codes:

Dinosaur5:

Dinosaur5 is "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Creep
    Dennab
    July 2006
    11,025 Posts
    Valve is trolling us.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    June 2005
    1,248 Posts
    Valve is trolling us.
    They "HAVE" been trolling us.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    15,981 Posts
    Should put the morse codes before the images.
    Noted, gonna fix now.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    6,091 Posts
    dinosaur11
    Am I the only one seeing what seems to be the pose stricken by the two figures in the "A Trusted Friend in Science" poster in the upper right corner?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22

March 2010
    2 Posts
    You missed the 4 transmission that were morse code.... riiiiight back at the start :P I know they were looking like nothing, but if it's a complete first post you were doing :P

EDIT: Nevermind, Ninja'd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #23
    February 2010
    29 Posts
    Dinosaur5 is "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"
    I can't remember what exactly it is, but it's some sort of game developer's code that includes every letter of the alphabet in a single sentence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    June 2005
    1,248 Posts
    I can't remember what exactly it is, but it's some sort of game developer's code that includes every letter of the alphabet in a single sentence.
    It is a keyboarding class drill.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

25. Post #25
    July 2009
    5,753 Posts
    No... it's just an old sentence with them all, nothing to do with developers. It's used to test typewriters and fonts because it's easy to remember and it has all letters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    15,981 Posts
    You missed the 4 transmission that were morse code.... riiiiight back at the start :P I know they were looking like nothing, but if it's a complete first post you were doing :P
    I just added them :shobon:

27. Post #27
    June 2009
    71 Posts
    We need an IRC channel, stat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    May 2008
    3,082 Posts
    I'm going to try to get through to the phone number on HyperTerminal, though the only PC I have set up to do that atm sucks and has a battery life of ~20min.

29. Post #29
    January 2009
    8,524 Posts
    no we dont

:saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Creep
    Dennab
    July 2006
    11,025 Posts
    Better yet a steam group chat.

31. Post #31
    May 2009
    6 Posts
    I'm going to try to get through to the phone number on HyperTerminal, though the only PC I have set up to do that atm sucks and has a battery life of ~20min.
    No AC Adapter?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    June 2009
    480 Posts
    I could swear when I heard that clip played backwards it said "eli is alive."

This was all planned from the start and when Glados sings Still Alive she is really talking about Eli.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb x 11Funny x 1Bad Reading x 1Useful x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    15,981 Posts
    On it for the steam group. I don't know what to make the image

34. Post #34
    Dennab
    November 2007
    2,807 Posts
    I have a ventrilo if you guys want to use it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    January 2009
    8,524 Posts
    On it for the steam group. I don't know what to make the image
    the portal logo but with a big ? over it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    June 2005
    1,248 Posts
    I could swear when I heard that clip played backwards it said "eli is alive."

This was all planned from the start and when Glados sings Still Alive she is really talking about Eli.
    I have no idea where people keep hearing Eli from?

I have reversed it and i hear "we need him still alive."

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Sweet, I haven't done something like this since Xi.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    15,981 Posts
    the portal logo but with a big ? over it
    Right, name of the group ? I can't think of anything catchy.

39. Post #39
    June 2009
    71 Posts
    All I heard was *maybe* "still alive," but I know how listening to things like this will make you hear things that you want to hear, and not what's actually there.

40. Post #40
    Dennab
    November 2007
    2,807 Posts
    Seriously my 125 slot vent is empty if you guys want the info feel free to ask