1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,377 Posts
    [release]
    [tab]Name:[/tab] RP_SmallCorner_v1

[tab]Version:[/tab] 1

[tab]Description:[/tab] A small roleplay map taken place in a part of a city in a small corner street thing, or where ever you'd imagine.

[tab]Requirements:[/tab] Garry's Mod, Half-Life 2: Episode 2

[tab]Download:[/tab]

[tab]Mirror:[/tab] (in case garrysmod.org takes a dump) http://www.megaupload.com/?d=71V9AVQB

[/release]

Hi and welcome to this release page! So, in case you haven't noticed, this is RP_SmallCorner_v1. It was originally based on this request, though I changed the plans around a bit. I'm not sure if people remember this WIP thread and the beta thing I had posted in the general mapping section, but that thing is long gone. Since then, I've been receiving criticism, and used those as an advantage to make the map far better than it was. So, I give you this!

Features:
    [list][*] A train station and a subway[*] Sewers/underground tunnel[*] Police department[*] Two apartment complexes[*] Four stores[*] Two warehouses[*] Two alleys[*] Non-linear focus[*] Un-physgunnable doors, etc.[*] Optimization (hardly any big frame-rate drop)[*] 3D Skybox[*] and soundscapes![/list]
    In-game Screenshots:

Outside:

Train station:

Subway:

Sewers/underground tunnel:

Alleyways:

Some interiors:

Layout:

(thanks to Nergal for taking the screenshots!)

Other information:

This map was completely made by me, Highdef.

I want to give a special thanks to Tehelee for designing two subway pillars with rails around them (looks pretty cool) along with advice, and to Otis, for supplying me with "blueprints" and ideas, etc.

How to install:
    [list][*] Open up the .zip folder. You should see a file
    named "rp_smallcorner_v1.bsp"
    [*] Open up a new window and navigate to this directory: \steam\steamapps\[your username]\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps
    [*] Extract the file to the "maps" folder.
    [*] Launch Garry's Mod, and you should be ready to go.[/list]
    To uninstall, just remove the "rp_smallcorner_v1.bsp" from your
    maps folder.

Oh, and the user God of Rock made a nice edition to the map. A map icon for the Garry's Mod map menu. Feel free to download below.

Anyways, I have a game server of my own, including FastDL, to test my future and upcoming maps. If you ever feel the need to stop by and visit, here's the IP and the port: 69.125.252.75:27015

Any feedback or opinions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic x 35Agree x 1Dumb x 1Late x 1Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    November 2009
    975 Posts
    Blocky

j/k can't wait to try.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    641 Posts
    Great map! I love the arquitecture and overall details of the map! and blocky??? This map is not blocky at all in my opinion. Good work Highdef and glad that I could help you with the testing/screenshots
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 6Bad Reading Bad Reading x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Sometimes i fall down :(
    July 2008
    3,208 Posts
    Yeah, really nice map.
    I remember seeing the statiom from the map pimpage megathread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,377 Posts
    Great map! I love the arquitecture and overall details of the map! and blocky??? This map is not blocky at all in my opinion. Good work Highdef and glad that I could help you with the testing/screenshots
    Anytime, mate.

Yeah, really nice map.
    I remember seeing the statiom from the map pimpage megathread.
    Which one? If you're talking about the HL2 themed train station in the map pimpage thread v7, it's a completely different map. Though I might strive to finish that piece one day.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,323 Posts
    Nice job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,377 Posts
    I appreciate it. Though has anyone found any problems? Me and my testers haven't.

8. Post #8
    peopleofgaming.com
    January 2009
    1,087 Posts
    nice, looks really good

9. Post #9
    July 2009
    1,170 Posts
    no nexus :( was gonna use it.

10. Post #10
    March 2008
    1,614 Posts
    I love it, it's really, really epic.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,099 Posts
    Looks nice.

12. Post #12
    I know nothing about you but fuck it here's a title
    December 2005
    1,788 Posts
    I'm so proud of my apprentice.

:iia:

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,377 Posts
    no nexus :( was gonna use it.
    Police department, though it is a bit smaller than you might have expected. My idea was to keep this map looking small, yet big. Do you feel me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    March 2010
    4 Posts
    Looks really good, i think if it was a little bit bigger it could be the new rp_downtown :O

EDIT: now that ive played it ive got a few more suggestions

1. The two buildings either side of the "! Attention !" sign could do with back rooms for storage. (also the little shop in the subway)
    2. The alleyways could do with more buildings/small rooms attatched to them.
    3. The alleyway nearest the subway seems a little point less as it has no rooms coming off of it and is rather long :/

Otherwise i think the map is excelent and youve done a superb job with the aesthetics of it :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,377 Posts
    Looks really good, i think if it was a little bit bigger it could be the new rp_downtown :O
    Sometimes, I don't see how bigger = better. But if you take a closer look, this map isn't super tiny. It looks a bit bigger than it is, and plus, I tried to make this non-linear as possible, so no section(s) of the map is blocked out from roleplay. The map was meant to be this size to promote players to interact with each other. Would you agree?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    March 2010
    4 Posts
    Sometimes, I don't see how bigger = better. But if you take a closer look, this map isn't super tiny. It looks a bit bigger than it is, and plus, I tried to make this non-linear as possible, so no section(s) of the map is blocked out from roleplay. The map was meant to be this size to promote players to interact with each other. Would you agree?
    I still think its a bit small but i do really like the way you've made it non-linear :) it looks well thought out.
    Also the stove in the place signed "FOTO" looks like it could get in the way of someone building
    1 other thing is that in the small room signed "petrol" the roof of the block in the corner is nodraw, i think that its likely people might want to put in a second floor so you might want to change that to a simple roof texture ;)

I love the PD btw

EDIT: I hope i dont sound too criticising but i think this map could go far with a few minor adjustments!

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,377 Posts
    I still think its a bit small but i do really like the way you've made it non-linear :) it looks well thought out.
    Also the stove in the place signed "FOTO" looks like it could get in the way of someone building
    1 other thing is that in the small room signed "petrol" the roof of the block in the corner is nodraw, i think that its likely people might want to put in a second floor so you might want to change that to a simple roof texture ;)

I love the PD btw

EDIT: I hope i dont sound too criticising but i think this map could go far with a few minor adjustments!
    Thanks for your comment, but it's a bit too late to change the map now. Though I'd like to see how this map turns out roleplay-wise.

18. Post #18
    May 2009
    315 Posts
    This is a great map. It has a very good run-down HL feel to it without being just a HL map. I would love to see more like this. The only bit of criticism I would have would be the stretched sign textures and the underground area, while my favorite part of the map, has a few too many rooms and doors that don't make sense. In the future, if you put more props and unique such in the many underground rooms it may make it look that each room has a purpose in being a maintenance area rather than just being there to extend the map.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,377 Posts
    This is a great map. It has a very good run-down HL feel to it without being just a HL map. I would love to see more like this. The only bit of criticism I would have would be the stretched sign textures and the underground area, while my favorite part of the map, has a few too many rooms and doors that don't make sense. In the future, if you put more props and unique such in the many underground rooms it may make it look that each room has a purpose in being a maintenance area rather than just being there to extend the map.
    Ill take your advice the next time I create a map.

I'm so proud of my apprentice.

:iia:
    ^^ master

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    641 Posts
    You could just release a version (makes the city seem like its expanding) ;)

21. Post #21
    April 2009
    664 Posts
    looks beauitful. Simple perhaps, to a degree, but delightfully playable. keep it up.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,377 Posts
    You could just release a version (makes the city seem like its expanding) ;)
    Seems like it's expanding? Care to explain?

23. Post #23
    Best Serious RP
    December 2006
    177 Posts
    I'm glad you released it, but it's not continuous enough. I seem to hit a lot of dead ends, and the sewers are to small. You need side rooms, and there should be more than one way into each building. (maybe even second floors for some.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,377 Posts
    I'm glad you released it, but it's not continuous enough. I seem to hit a lot of dead ends, and the sewers are to small. You need side rooms, and there should be more than one way into each building. (maybe even second floors for some.
    Never actually thought about the stores themselves, but I like your input. And thanks for sticking with me in the production. However, I might think about making a new map. Should it be another real-life roleplay map? Or a Half-Life 2 roleplay map (because I had a train station of that WIP done)? Or any other styled map?

25. Post #25

October 2009
    197 Posts
    looks pretty good but it's still rather unoriginal

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,377 Posts
    looks pretty good but it's still rather unoriginal
    Unoriginal how? I'm not a mind reader.

27. Post #27
    the fuck is this?
    November 2009
    7,198 Posts
    i pay no attention to folks who have that stupid lion avatar.

28. Post #28
    Has volunteered for dissection because the doctor is cute
    May 2009
    20,303 Posts
    Awesome.

29. Post #29
    November 2009
    975 Posts
    i pay no attention to folks who have that stupid lion avatar.
    It's a dog ass

30. Post #30
    May 2009
    20,303 Posts
    It's a dog ass
    Lol, a lion. Fail.

OP is now one of my favourite mappers, along with Oskutin.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,377 Posts
    Thanks for your inputs. I'm still deciding what to work on next, though I might start some new zombie apocalyptic map.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    240 Posts
    Impressive map. I think you've achieved the "deceptively small" angle perfectly; it's detailed exquisitely and I think it'd make a fantastic map on which to roleplay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    May 2009
    20,303 Posts
    Thanks for your inputs. I'm still deciding what to work on next, though I might start some new zombie apocalyptic map.
    If you do that, can you please for the love of god add zombie spawn points to it, so we can do a zombie survival without going online.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,377 Posts
    If you do that, can you please for the love of god add zombie spawn points to it, so we can do a zombie survival without going online.
    It wouldn't be for the general public. It would be for this roleplaying community. Though not sure if some of you remember this HL2 styled train station in the map pimpage thread, but I might finish that someday and call it rp_sector7, instead of the usual rp_city## trend.

Impressive map. I think you've achieved the "deceptively small" angle perfectly; it's detailed exquisitely and I think it'd make a fantastic map on which to roleplay.
    Thank you.

35. Post #35
    March 2010
    4 Posts
    Arn't you gunna do a Version2? :O

That would be a big shame :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    April 2009
    6 Posts
    Is the train in the station functional?
    If not, I think a nice way to upgrade this already wonderful map, would be to add another station a the other end of town, and have the train travel between them. Perhaps even make a tour around the town, like the one that is show in the beginning of HL2.
    Another thing I think would be great to implement, would be to make the sewers bigger, along with adding some more appartments.
    Maybe even a park, yes?
    Anyway, those are just my ideas, so if you don't eel like implementing them, I don't blame you.
    ^^;;;;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Portugal Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    March 2010
    62 Posts
    I made a map icon for the GMod Map Menu. Getting pics now

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,377 Posts
    Is the train in the station functional?
    If not, I think a nice way to upgrade this already wonderful map, would be to add another station a the other end of town, and have the train travel between them. Perhaps even make a tour around the town, like the one that is show in the beginning of HL2.
    Another thing I think would be great to implement, would be to make the sewers bigger, along with adding some more appartments.
    Maybe even a park, yes?
    Anyway, those are just my ideas, so if you don't eel like implementing them, I don't blame you.
    ^^;;;;
    Hm, I can't promise you I'll work on a second version, but If I do, I'll take those ideas. They aren't bad at all. Maybe by making this map bigger, I could call it RP_BigCorner?

I made a map icon for the GMod Map Menu. Getting pics now
    Alright, but if you're going to upload it, don't include the map file. Make your icon as a seperate addon/non-addon.

39. Post #39
    March 2010
    62 Posts
    Okay, Here is a screenshot:

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,377 Posts
    Nice to have an icon seen on the menu.