1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,810 Posts
    The eruption lit up the night sky just after midnight on Sunday

Several hundred people have been evacuated from their homes, as a volcano erupted in southern Iceland.

The volcano near the Eyjafjallajoekull glacier began to erupt shortly after midnight, leading to road closures in the area.

No one was in immediate danger, but 500 people were being moved from the area, a civil protection officer said.

It is almost 200 years since a volcano near Eyjafjallajoekull, 120km (75 miles) east of Reykjavik, last erupted.

"We estimate that no one is in danger in the area but we have started an evacuation plan and between 500 and 600 people are being evacuated," Sigurgeir Gudmundsson of the Icelandic civil protections department told the Agence France-Presse news agency.

There are fears that the volcano could cause flooding, as it causes ice to melt on the glacier above it.

"Ash has already begun to fall in Fljotshlid and people in the surrounding area have reported seeing bright lights emanating from the glacier," RUV public radio said on its website.

"It was a bit scary, but still amazing to see," Katrin Moller Eiriksdottir, who lives in Fljotshlid, told the BBC News website.
    "The ash had started falling and we couldn't leave the car. They have now closed the road but we'll see what happens in the morning."

Three Icelandair flights, bound for Reykjavik from the United States, have been ordered to return to Boston, RUV radio reported, and much of Icelandic air space is a no-fly zone.

The last volcanic eruption in the area occurred in 1821.
    Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8578576.stm

Article Pictures:

Spelling in Iceland is hard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 81Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    May 2009
    4,977 Posts
    Eyjafjallajoekull
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 145Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,663 Posts
    Fuck, maybe the next one will happen is Aoasujadsjfjeap
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 90Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Eyjafjallajoekull
    Eyjafjallajoekull
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 46Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,260 Posts
    *gibberish*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 24Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    That is not seriously a real place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,810 Posts
    It's like the names are plucked from those shitty "type with your elbow" threads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 111Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    November 2006
    327 Posts
    Maybe the mayor had nerd rage over the unbalanced gameplay in MW2 and banged his keyboard and then fucked my pussy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative x 20Optimistic x 5Dumb x 3Funny x 3Useful x 1Late x 1Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    Looks like someone mashed the keyboard while naming icelands cities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply South Africa Show Events Late Late x 15 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    232 Posts
    That is really not a serious place. How the fuck do you pronounce that? I'm more interested in the town you've just discovered.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Maybe the mayor had nerd rage over the unbalanced gameplay in MW2 and banged his keyboard and then fucked my pussy.
    what was that last part
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 69Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,810 Posts
    I want to see someone attempt a news pun using "Eyjafjallajoekull" as the main word.

13. Post #13
    November 2006
    327 Posts
    Hey Jeff Jalla! Joe's cool!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 41Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    I want to see someone attempt a news pun using "Eyjafjallajoekull" as the main word.
    I bet Eyjafjalla-JOE-KULL is just full of a bunch of YOKELS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    Wet Birds
    September 2005
    7,969 Posts
    you'd think it'd be spelled Eyjafjallajökull
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 19Bad Spelling x 1Funny x 1Dumb x 1Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    11,538 Posts
    thank FUCKING god it didn't happen in adsgjsejgburg I have family there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 53Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,154 Posts
    "Hey what should we name this mountain?
    Eyjafjallajoekull.
    I'm sorry, WHAT?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    I wonder what Mayor Ajgjdgeyjekentonjohnson will have to say about this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 43Late Late x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    232 Posts
    Its like someone spelled out a sneeze.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 21 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,810 Posts
    That is really not a serious place. How the fuck do you pronounce that? I'm more interested in the town you've just discovered.
    The news article I dug up might have had a typo. Google suggests "Eyjafjallajokull" and...oh wait, it's...not a town, it's a glacier?

Wikipedia posted:
    Eyjafjallajökull (pronounced [ˈɛɪjaˌfjatlaˌjœkʏtl̥]) is one of the smaller glaciers of Iceland. It is situated to the north of Skógar and to the west of the larger glacier Mýrdalsjökull.

21. Post #21
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    "Eyjafjallajökull (pronounced [ˈɛɪjaˌfjatlaˌjœkʏtl̥])"

Oh that's helpful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 122Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    484 Posts
    At first I thought you intentionally screwed up the name of the volcano.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,810 Posts
    Here's a video of pristine land surrounding Eyjafajallajoekull. It's rather pretty.

Trying to find a documentary or video where they pronounce the name.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    I dunno about you but my sneezes are generally not six syllables.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 36Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Just lost $10.
    May 2009
    3,328 Posts
    I just hope Aoafjeafsjl isn't effected. :ohdear:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Late Late x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,604 Posts
    your sneezes have a joe-kull sound at the end?

Also I hope Snæfellsjökull isn't affected by this.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    232 Posts
    google search for prounciation of Eyjafjallajökull posted:
    Places within Iceland - Freebase
    Reykjavík (Icelandic pronunciation: [ˈreiːcaviːk]( listen)) is the capital .... Eyjafjallajökull (pronounced [ˈeijaˌfjatlaˌjœkʏtl̥]) is one of the smaller ...
    http://www.freebase.com/view/en/icel...ation/contains
    That kind of helps...but it looks like everyone on the internet is trying to figure out how to pronounce this bitch.

Also, it kind of reminds me of that vocal solo from that song Hocus Pocus (by Focus).

28. Post #28
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    12,258 Posts
    Coolest fucking name ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,066 Posts
    Is that really a name for a city? What down syndrome viking named this one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    1,618 Posts
    Oh my, this thread made me rsdnebdpecerburg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    November 2006
    327 Posts
    I love how the name of the city is bigger news than the fact that a volcano erupted there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    232 Posts
    Just imagine if a major earthqauke erupted there...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,810 Posts
    I love how the name of the city is bigger news than the fact that a volcano erupted there.
    It is actually a glacier. Took me a couple of times to read through the article to figure that out, the title of the article implies it's a town.

But yeah, good point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,422 Posts
    Just imagine if a major earthqauke erupted there...
    Your logic is flawed. Earthquakes shake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member

November 2007
    4,543 Posts
    If I told tourists that the volcano at Eyjafjallajoekull blew up, they'd laugh it off thinking it's fake, and get themselves melted.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    232 Posts
    Your logic is flawed. Earthquakes shake.
    I meant people would probably be torn up trying to be serious and trying to pronounce the name while being all emotional, and it would be quite a seen, but I did not put any effort into implying this in that post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,386 Posts
    It looks like someone had a seizure typing the name of that.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    6,686 Posts
    Holy fuck the name of that place.

eyafalajallalajoekull

39. Post #39
    July 2009
    4,689 Posts
    I hope Bjork is okay :ohdear:

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,261 Posts
    Eyjafjallajoekull
    It's like the owner did it on their keyboard just to randomly spam their country's founding new name. :regd08: