1. Post #1
    March 2010
    5 Posts
    [release]
    Nikola Tesla

The man who invented the modern world
    [/release]

You’d think you’d know his name. Every time you turn on a light, or turn on your radio, his contributions are as far reaching as those as Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, or even his nemesis, Tom Edison.

Known for: (According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla)
    Tesla coil
    Tesla turbine
    Teleforce
    Tesla's oscillator
    Tesla electric car
    Tesla principle
    Tesla's Egg of Columbus
    Alternating current
    Induction motor
    Rotating magnetic field
    Wireless technology
    Particle beam weapon
    Death ray
    Terrestrial stationary waves
    Bifilar coil
    Telegeodynamics
    Electrogravitics

Yet today who has ever heard of Nikola Tesla.

In 1900, with US$150,000 (51 % from J. Pierpont Morgan), Tesla began planning the Wardenclyffe Tower facility. In June 1902, Tesla's lab operations were moved to Wardenclyffe from Houston Street. The tower was dismantled for scrap during World War I. Newspapers of the time labeled Wardenclyffe "Tesla's million-dollar folly". In 1904, the US Patent Office reversed its decision and awarded Guglielmo Marconi the patent for radio, and Tesla began his fight to re-acquire the radio patent (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla#Later_years)

[release]"Marconi is a good fellow. Let him continue. He is using seventeen of my patents." - Nikola Tesla[/release]

Aside from his work on electromagnetism and electromechanical engineering, Tesla contributed in varying degrees to the establishment of robotics, remote control, radar, and computer science, and to the expansion of ballistics, nuclear physics, and theoretical physics.

Morgan did not always invest well. In 1900, Morgan financed inventor Nikola Tesla and his Wardenclyffe Tower with $150,000 for experiments in radio. However, in 1903, when the tower structure was near completion, it was still not yet functional due to last-minute design changes that introduced an unintentional defect. When Morgan wanted to know "Where can I put the meter?" Tesla had no answer. Tesla's vision of free power did not agree with Morgan's worldview; nor would it pay for the maintenance of the transmission system. Construction costs eventually exceeded the money provided by Morgan, and additional financiers were reluctant to come forth. By July 1904, Morgan (and the other investors) finally decided they would not provide any additional financing. Morgan also advised other investors to avoid the project.
    (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._P._M...ssful_ventures)

Another of Edison's assistants was Nikola Tesla, to whom Edison promised $50,000 if he succeeded in making improvements to his DC generation plants. Several months later, when Tesla had finished the work and asked to be paid, Edison said, "When you become a full-fledged American you will appreciate an American joke." Tesla immediately resigned. With Tesla's salary of $18 per week, the payment would have amounted to over 53 years' pay and the amount was equal to the initial capital of the company. Tesla resigned when he was refused a raise to $25 per week. (From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_...Work_relations)

[release]"All my money has been invested into experiments with which I have made new discoveries enabling mankind to have a little easier life." - Nikola Tesla[/release]

Later Tesla was denounced as a crackpot and was removed from the historical record, because he wanted to serve the mankind and didn't want profit.

[release]"Let the future tell the truth and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine." - Nikola Tesla[/release]

Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._P._M...ssful_ventures
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_...Work_relations

YouTube video: (Many of it's copies were removed from YouTube)

He died alone in a hotel room on 7 January 1943. With his last breathe, Tesla gently smiled.

Without Tesla, no computers, mobile phones or public available electricity would exist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Friendly x 75Informative x 8Late x 5Bad Spelling x 3Dumb x 1Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,865 Posts
    Genius through and through.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 58 (list)

3. Post #3
    February 2010
    6,215 Posts
    Good thread.
    If Tesla had lived longer, he would have done even greater things.
    Oh, and fuck Edison.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 59Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    November 2009
    1,994 Posts

I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 82Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    April 2008
    480 Posts
    overall general badass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    June 2009
    4,053 Posts
    Edison promised Tesla over 100 grand in US dollars if he redid his power system.

Awhile later Tesla came back with tons of designs and blue prints and gave them to Edison and said asked for his 100 grand.

Edison laughed and said "You just learned American humor."

What a bitch!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 44Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,810 Posts
    Apparently American humor is being a giant dick?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 79 (list)

8. Post #8
    March 2010
    2,317 Posts
    This guy rock' Too bad he had'nt the money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 11Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,251 Posts
    Write about his OCD. Like that he made a bed with suspension, as the springs were too loud.(!)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    December 2006
    632 Posts

Some of his inventions:
    Particle beam weapon
    Death ray
    Where the hell is this stuff?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    June 2007
    811 Posts
    You know how much that money would be worth if you adjust it for inflation? About 1.1 million dollars today. Edison was a dick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    8,380 Posts
    One of the most badass scientist in history.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Philippines Show Events Agree Agree x 11Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    Nikolai Tesla.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Dumb x 39Disagree x 3Agree x 3Bad Spelling x 1Late x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    January 2010
    6,544 Posts
    He really made a Death Ray?
    Wow, epic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Iceland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    April 2009
    95 Posts
    Yes. God Bless the United States :patriot:

Also, Tesla is like my favorite inventor ever.
    I somewhat recall from my Physics class that he threatened people with a fake death ray if they wouldn't fund him? or was it to show the power of electricity?

Edited:
    Give me box's if you think I have a giant wang :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 4Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,457 Posts
    I've known of him since playing RA1 and researching if tesla coils were real.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,330 Posts
    One of the most badass scientist in history.
    I concur.

18. Post #18
    January 2010
    6,544 Posts
    I will forever treasure the Tesla Cannon at my home in Megaton.
    In my locker.
    You will never be forgotten, Nikola Tesla. :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Iceland Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,348 Posts
    Fuck you

lmao
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 66Dumb Dumb x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,865 Posts
    Where the hell is this stuff?
    He drew up blueprints that do actually work, however we still don't have the technology to make them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,866 Posts
    Fuck you

lmao

lol!

Tesla is a fucking genius, we need more men like him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #22
    January 2010
    755 Posts
    I wonder what the world would be like if funding wasn't a problem for Tesla? What's up with the scientific community back then being a bunch of dicks? Poor Tesla. Have a heart, OP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,348 Posts
    Ahh Tesla, darling of conspiracy theorists everywhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,167 Posts
    I know Tesla only due to Fallout 3. I'm ashamed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Latvia Show Events Agree x 8Dumb x 2Late x 1Friendly x 1Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,810 Posts
    Fuck you

lmao
    You made me cry

I am now sad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    January 2010
    1,504 Posts
    Americans don't understand humour, just humor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

27. Post #27
    February 2010
    10,173 Posts
    Nikolai Tesla.
    No, Nikola Tesla. He wasn't russian
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ukraine Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

28. Post #28
    March 2010
    5 Posts
    Ahh Tesla, darling of conspiracy theorists everywhere.
    If it isn't a conspiracy, they've all tried very hard to make it look like one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,450 Posts
    I've heard more about Tesla than Edison, due to the dozens of threads made about him on FP, and due to Edison not having a goddamn SI unit named after him
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Tesla's oscillator
    Particle beam weapon
    Death ray
    Electrogravitics
    Urban myths and/or disproven.

Edited:

The Oscillator was tested on Mythbusters. It worked to an extent, but nothing like what Tesla described.

Edited:

hurr mythbusters != science

If you don't believe them, build one yourself and test it.

31. Post #31
    Dennab
    October 2009
    2,552 Posts
    edison is a badass for doing that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    August 2008
    499 Posts
    Yeah, Tesla is fairly awesome, but he went completely crazy in the second half of his life and continually tried to scam investors and governments for money for his 'world system' and death rays. He once promised to make the British isles invulnerable in a few months by lining the coast with towers which would fire particles of mercury via magnetic fields.

Indeed, he produced many fantastic inventions, but even when he retained his sanity he had the tendency to exaggerate their capabilities. After producing a remote controlled boat, he foresaw the development of the torpedo, but thought it would make war impossible, a common claim of his with many of his proposed concepts.

33. Post #33
    Yeah, Tesla is fairly awesome, but he went completely crazy in the second half of his life and continually tried to scam investors and governments for money for his 'world system' and death rays. He once promised to make the British isles invulnerable in a few months by lining the coast with towers which would fire particles of mercury via magnetic fields.
    > Mercury

> Magnetic

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    3,051 Posts
    I used to like Edison somewhat. Then I heard of this guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    November 2009
    644 Posts
    I always liked Tesla better than Edison, because Edison was a huge asshole and Tesla was always the underdog
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    February 2010
    6,215 Posts
    Nikolai Tesla.
    Are you Serb about that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17 (list)

37. Post #37
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,197 Posts
    I happen to be doing my Senior paper on Nikola Tesla. The man was a fucking genius and does not get the credit he deserves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,866 Posts
    I know Tesla only due to Fallout 3. I'm ashamed.
    I found out about him through Tesla Coils.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,427 Posts
    I don't need a fucking a history lesson on Nikola Tesla, the book on Fallout 3 already gave me the friggen' the energy weapon point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Remove anime
    July 2007
    9,885 Posts
    Nikola Telsa was a fucking badass, he stand in league with Sir Isaac Newton, the deadliest son of a bitch in the universe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)