Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,289 Posts
    This happened to my first two headsets.

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    The worst is them completely breaking at one side.

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    1,109 Posts
    Here's why they always break - they're made to break so that you'll buy another pair, and then another, and then another, and so on.

Get one of these instead:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    832 Posts
    I just got these for 20
    These are great.
    I got two of these for free from that Microsoft games thing, Freaking loved them.

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    4,149 Posts
    It might be that music you listen too has heavy bass/treble/whatever on one side, so eventually it knocks the speaker on that side loose. Try switching to mono or turning the volume down.

6. Post #86
    June 2009
    1,874 Posts
    Whenever I have this problem, I give them to my dad (who conveniently owns an electronics business) and he replaces the connecter on them, works like a charm.

7. Post #87
    November 2007
    161 Posts
    I think the reason they break is the insulation that separates the wires for each speaker and then each wire for each speaker eventually wears down and shorts the one speaker out.

With my ear buds, I just take the cable from and old pair and solder my good ear buds on when a wire wears out, I've been through two. You could do the same thing with your headset if you're willing/it can be taken apart.

8. Post #88
    I hate it when my headsets decide to break after about 3 months, same thing goes for earphones. They break way too easily.

9. Post #89
    January 2008
    394 Posts
    How does one even break headphones? I've had several over the years and I've broken none, I just give the old ones to my sister or put them away when I feel I need new ones (that's like every four years or so), and I almost always buy the cheapest headphones I can find.

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    1,109 Posts
    How does one even break headphones? I've had several over the years and I've broken none, I just give the old ones to my sister or put them away when I feel I need new ones (that's like every four years or so), and I almost always buy the cheapest headphones I can find.
    Guess what? They break as soon as you give them to her.

Also, in a roundabout sort of way, you are actually breaking your headphones.

11. Post #91
    January 2010
    1,327 Posts
    My Razer headphones haven't died yet <3

Edited:

Guess what? They break as soon as you give them to her.

Also, in a roundabout sort of way, you are actually breaking your headphones.
    You're dumb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #92
    PikachuX1000
    May 2008
    1,286 Posts
    Oh yeah, dont EVER put foam padded earphones in the back of a cupboard. Carpet beatles love them.

13. Post #93
    November 2009
    2,879 Posts
    Sony Headphones are good.
    I have some of those. Dynamic stereo headphones. I haven't had this problem with them yet.

14. Post #94
    February 2010
    870 Posts
    Cheap Dynex Headset - Mic went out
    Costly Logitech headset - audio went out

Awesome ghetto looking headset combo is READY!

15. Post #95
    January 2010
    962 Posts
    Never heard of a company making a product to purpously break after time so you buy more.
    Welcome to Capitalism.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #96
    YOU'RE NOT ONE OF THOSE PRANCY FANCY DOLPHINS ARE YOU
    September 2009
    1,280 Posts
    I hate this, and I don't care too much about audio quality so I bought one pair of like 30 dollar earbuds from skullcandy.
    I know, I know "skull candy is terrible blah blah bandwagon", but they have a lifetime warranty so every time they die I just send em in for new ones.

17. Post #97
    April 2009
    965 Posts
    had my sennheiser HD280's for over a year now and they still work perfectly

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,435 Posts
    My school has those headphones, every time we have to work with computer me and my friends always pull off the soft thing and pull something off to see if it's completely busted or a battery fell out.

19. Post #99
    June 2009
    864 Posts
    The sound quality on the ones I have now seems to have just died in the butt. Things like voices seem really quiet whereas other noises work mostly fine, listening to music is weird because it seems to miss playing certain pitches consistently.

20. Post #100
    December 2009
    760 Posts
    You know what, I had the same problem as OP. I went through countless headsets, earphones, in-ear and normal, but to no avail. They always ended up dying on one side within 3 months or so.

Till I bought these
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...archtype=genre

Sony MDR-EX35LP

Not headsets, and they were cheap cos I was sick of purchasing expensive ones that ended up dying on one side anyway. Been 11 months and counting, and they're still as good as new.

It's a shame the others didn't last so long.

21. Post #101
    March 2010
    211 Posts
    Get fatal1ty! They're lovely <3

Although they're suppose to be for gaming you can remove the detachable microphone, the padding is lovely.

22. Post #102
    October 2008
    3,543 Posts
    I get $10 dollar ones at walmart, I love them.

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,589 Posts
    i have two dead koss sb-45 headphones, and working logitech g35 now, i don't know what you're talking about when you say that your headphones are breaking too soon

24. Post #104
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,704 Posts
    Oh wait, if I look down 1 degree they work.
    I had a pair like that

They didn't work unless they were angled right, and I had to pull and push the wire around so it worked in the earphone

I went through like 6 pairs, at least, last year

25. Post #105
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,873 Posts
    Got a nice Logitech set on right now. Been working perfectly since I bought them last august.

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,159 Posts
    I got a Sennheiser PC131 Headset for Christmas 2009, and I feel like it's already starting to go bad. If I turn it up to loud, there is an audible hum, but worst of all, is it seems to get some slight static on certain noises (most notable with certain musical notes). It scares me a bit, they can't be going bad already...

I fear I might've damaged them by blaring rock music. :ohdear:

27. Post #107
    October 2009
    67 Posts
    This is what I did with my old Creative headset(s). It worked for a while, but the problem gradually started returning, no matter how clean the solder would be. I enjoyed the headset, so I bought another one of them.

Same story.

Nowadays though I never buy anything from Creative. I got an AKG headset a few months back, and I'm loving it. So much more comfortable and the sound quality is a lot better, too.

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,603 Posts
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-...ur-headphones/

When I get my new headphones from ebay, I'm doing this to every possible stress point. I've had good experience from my Blackberry's headphones for months, though the left side sometimes cuts out.

Their the jvc marshmallows:

Sound pretty good and I managed to find them for under $7, compared to the $20 they were going for at The Source.

29. Post #109
    Ligger Nyncher
    August 2009
    7,128 Posts
    *cough*, Microsoft, Xbox Live Headset*cough*
    I have 6 broken Xbox 360 mics...

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    277 Posts
    It might be that music you listen too has heavy bass/treble/whatever on one side, so eventually it knocks the speaker on that side loose. Try switching to mono or turning the volume down.
    what
    do you even listen to music

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,734 Posts
    Happens to me all the time. Fucking earbuds always do this.

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    "That's called headphones dieing. It happens, otherwise headphones companies would go broke" - Never heard of a company making a product to purpously break after time so you buy more.
    Just because you "haven't heard of it" doesn't mean it isn't true.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,913 Posts
    "That's called headphones dieing. It happens, otherwise headphones companies would go broke" - Never heard of a company making a product to purpously break after time so you buy more.
    That's weird, because every company does this. Especially electronics companies.

34. Post #114
    I'm a greedy asshole.
    April 2008
    768 Posts
    fuck this happens to my all the time. I bought about 5 headphones in 2009 and i have a feeling these are about to fuck up as well.
    Me too until i got pissed and ripped the broken side off.
    Now i has new ones with very thick cords.

35. Post #115
    January 2010
    75 Posts
    I had this same problem i bought a pair of headphones for fuckin $75 but it was worth it they haven't broke.