1. Post #241
    January 2009
    17 Posts
    Or, we could just make the wait time extremely long for anything that used raw tiberium as the factory would have to spend more time shaping it ;). Just a thought.
    That's a good idea make it really long because it would have to convert the ore as it went. Thus taking more time to create the wanted device.

2. Post #242
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    2,987 Posts
    The only way you could tell it was lagging is if you weren't playing on the same computer/internet connection. So shut up about system performance already unless you're offering pointers on how to make this more efficient.
    Um, what?.

It is well documented how much lag LS3 will cause on a server without some proper management.

The tanks themselves don't lag, true, unless connected up to LS.
    You just contradicted yourself. Now your saying it wont cause server lag, before you said it would.

If LS3 caused server lag, then the connection wouldn't matter at all. Server-side lag is generally FPS being unstable (going from the fixed FPS rate to 5-30) or the servers tickrate going from 33 (or 66) to 4-7.

The only time the connection would matter is if your maxing the rate setting in the server.cfg and then it would cause choke because packets get backed up.

Seeing as how NONE of this is happening to me from LS3, I can safely conclude you just have a bad server or computer.. or connection.

Don't blame something on LS3 because you don't have the right platform to handle it, go back to LS2 if that is the case.

I however, will stick to the better and up to date LS. (which is LS3.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

3. Post #243
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,187 Posts
    LS2/3 doesn't lagg at all, it is RD2/3 that laggs, LS2/3 are just entities, the RD3 system does lagg less but that is because it uses nodes and therefore requires less fuckedup table management.

I personally perfer RD2 because i don't have to use nodes, for small systems it is alot easier to just link them (And i dislike CAF).

4. Post #244
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    2,987 Posts
    LS2/3 doesn't lagg at all, it is RD2/3 that laggs, LS2/3 are just entities, the RD3 system does lagg less but that is because it uses nodes and therefore requires less fuckedup table management.

I personally perfer RD2 because i don't have to use nodes, for small systems it is alot easier to just link them (And i dislike CAF).
    What's wrong with CAF?. I don't think its too bad, but meh.

I do have to agree that for small systems nodes aren't really needed.

Kialtia, have you considered any of the recent suggestions?.

5. Post #245
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    Um, what?.

You just contradicted yourself. Now your saying it wont cause server lag, before you said it would.
    No, I said that its true the tanks will not cause lag on their own, but when hooked up to LS/RD.

If LS3 caused server lag, then the connection wouldn't matter at all. Server-side lag is generally FPS being unstable (going from the fixed FPS rate to 5-30) or the servers tickrate going from 33 (or 66) to 4-7.
    I don't know your server but this is common on most spacebuild servers.

The only time the connection would matter is if your maxing the rate setting in the server.cfg and then it would cause choke because packets get backed up.
    True but I fail to see where I referenced connection.

Seeing as how NONE of this is happening to me from LS3, I can safely conclude you just have a bad server or computer.. or connection.
    Sir I can assure you that my computer is more than powerful enough to handle LS3, and as so it must be almost (emphasis on almost) every server other than yours. I do not lag in singleplayer, just on most servers. It is not my connection, either, unless you consider a 20 meg pipe too slow.

Don't blame something on LS3 because you don't have the right platform to handle it, go back to LS2 if that is the case.

I however, will stick to the better and up to date LS. (which is LS3.)
    For the record, LS/RD2 (which was actually optimised over some time) is actually just as laggy as LS/RD3, due to the lack of node system. Surely you should know this, because you're obviously more knowledgable :smug:.

LS3 isn't that up to date either, the codebase of it is mostly obsolete now as Snake hasn't been keeping up with the Gmod updates and making use of new hooks (bare in mind LS3 has been around - and officially, its still in beta - since 2008 or maybe even earlier as it was before my time).

It is newer, yes, but in reality its no where near finished, and probably won't be, as after Snake got his ass banned for telling Garry to fix his damn mod, he gave up giving much of a shit.

I'm personally waiting for Frontier, as from the previews its going to shit all over LS.

I'm looking at LS3 from an optimisation and code base view. The mod, is laggy. That is fact, the code is unoptimised and hell half of it doesn't even have a function. Yes modern computers can eat past that lag no problem, but it doesn't remove the issue.

You are a man who actually got a server that is powerful enough to deal with its unoptimisation, good for you and I might take a look. But don't blame something on home computers when it is the actual mod that has unoptimised, broken, laggy code :smug:.

Still, it is better than LS/RD2.

We need to stop hijacking this thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #246
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    2,987 Posts
    Again, I notice absolutely no lag issues with LS3. Thus, I disagree with you.

7. Post #247
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    467 Posts
    Because you're the host, not the client, now shut up unless you're going to stay on topic.

I've gotten the crystal model done, it's a little basic and I gave it a dirt mound base. The texture(s) are 50% completed. I need to add a disturbed/corrupted dirt texture for the base, but after that, it should be fine and ready for conversion to a source usable format.

The majority of the tris are in the mesh smoothed dirt mound, this may actually be a bad move as it means the dirt's gonna be more detailed than typical map terrain.

8. Post #248
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    @Jeff:
    Yeah, haha, why not cut down on the poly count on dirt and just use a more detailed texture.

9. Post #249
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    467 Posts
    Well, I was planning to use a default source dirt texture just so it'd look like it fits, but I'm not sure it has what I need in desaturated unfertile soil.

Here's another thought, think I should make the dirt mound a separate model?

That way you can spawn a mound, and the mound will push one of those crystal formations out every now and then as a harvestable but permanent source of tiberium.

I think we'd need to ensure that the dirt mound is immobile, unaffected by tools, and only placeable on brushes and/or displacements with a specific set of materials. It would be a hassle to track down every dirt/sand/grass/natural rock texture for that, though.

Edit

Oooh! And if we have that, I believe that would be a great way to implement Tiberium Spikes, so they can only cap off the special dirt mounds instead of omnomming entire fields.

10. Post #250
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    I guess, that'd be a great segway into tib fisures and whatnot.

11. Post #251
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,187 Posts
    What's wrong with CAF?. I don't think its too bad, but meh.

I do have to agree that for small systems nodes aren't really needed.

Kialtia, have you considered any of the recent suggestions?.
    CAF is unnecessary, RD3/LS3/CDS3/etc. can work fine without CAF, CAF only takes up resources and provides a GUI to disable/enable the addon.

Factory using resources :
    How would we get the initial resources to build the harvester and such?

Anti Tiberium Emitters :
    I'll add this.

Anti Tiberium Plating :
    I'll add this.

Growth Accelerator :
    I'll add this, just need to figure out how to implement this.

Parent Crystal :
    Just need to figure out how it would act, would it be invulnerable to harvesters? would only parent fields able to grow?

Tiberium Leaking :
    I'll add this, and a convar to enable/disable this.

Edited:

Because you're the host, not the client, now shut up unless you're going to stay on topic.

I've gotten the crystal model done, it's a little basic and I gave it a dirt mound base. The texture(s) are 50% completed. I need to add a disturbed/corrupted dirt texture for the base, but after that, it should be fine and ready for conversion to a source usable format.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...odd/tibtow.png
    The majority of the tris are in the mesh smoothed dirt mound, this may actually be a bad move as it means the dirt's gonna be more detailed than typical map terrain.
    Looks good.

Edited:

Well, I was planning to use a default source dirt texture just so it'd look like it fits, but I'm not sure it has what I need in desaturated unfertile soil.

Here's another thought, think I should make the dirt mound a separate model?

That way you can spawn a mound, and the mound will push one of those crystal formations out every now and then as a harvestable but permanent source of tiberium.

I think we'd need to ensure that the dirt mound is immobile, unaffected by tools, and only placeable on brushes and/or displacements with a specific set of materials. It would be a hassle to track down every dirt/sand/grass/natural rock texture for that, though.

Edit

Oooh! And if we have that, I believe that would be a great way to implement Tiberium Spikes, so they can only cap off the special dirt mounds instead of omnomming entire fields.
    Those permanent Tiberium holes are possible, however would they replace the current Tiberium or just be a separate type? and also note that if we'd actually make the Tiberium work like this you would have twice the amount of models on your screen.

12. Post #252
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    467 Posts
    Those permanent Tiberium holes are possible, however would they replace the current Tiberium or just be a separate type? and also note that if we'd actually make the Tiberium work like this you would have twice the amount of models on your screen.
    I imagine there'd be a single hole per field, the hole then grows/regrows the same large formation which in turn spawns the smaller normal crystals without holes of their own. I think the large crystals should be able to create up to 10 normal crystals around it within a relatively short radius. If possible, should the large crystal be harvested, it should inherit the status of the previous crystal, like have its old dependancies so it doesn't overlap or attempt to make more crystals if the 10 around it are still present.

13. Post #253
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    2,987 Posts
    I'm sorry, truly, but I still don't understand your point. I have been on other SB3 servers that had no lag with LS3.

I believe the only reason you think LS3 lags is because you play on SB3 servers that are run on a GSP. GSP usually limit CPU usage, which can cause lag.

But yes, lets drop this since I don't want to completely steal this thread.

Kialtia: Like I said we could have it so the factory could still spawn one or two things without requiring tiberium (small harvester + small raw storage).

Then the factory would need raw tiberium for everything else, but it would spawn things super-slowly unless it had refined. Think of refined as a speedboost of around 500%.

Large items should require refined tiberium to build.

14. Post #254
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,187 Posts
    Should the Sonic Field Generator just stop Tiberium growth or actually destroy the Tiberium?

15. Post #255
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    Should the Sonic Field Generator just stop Tiberium growth or actually destroy the Tiberium?
    Personally I think it should stop/prevent the growth. If it destroyed the Tiberium, people would just attach one to a big plate and dump it on a field to remove it.

16. Post #256
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    467 Posts
    That's what they're for, though, that's why GDI employed them in the first place. If the fissure/dirt mound entity is made then there won't be a way to remove a field permanently unless the dirt mound is removed.

And if you're a tad obsessive like me, you'd hate harvesting away excess tiberium beyond your storage capacity just for the sake of being rid of it.

17. Post #257

March 2010
    351 Posts
    id go with preventing it.btw i think i downloaded a mod that came with the old tiberium mod cuz i have stuff from it now. anyone know where it might be from?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

18. Post #258
    January 2010
    9,520 Posts

Parent Crystal :
    Just need to figure out how it would act, would it be invulnerable to harvesters? would only parent fields able to grow?

Tiberium Leaking :
    I'll add this, and a convar to enable/disable this.
    Cool! You really did read my ideas.
    Oh and about the parent: it is harvestable until there are enough crystals, then you can't harvest it(the it drains power from crystals then when someone wants to harvest it).You have to harvest the crystals first, and the parent itself should be like 10X more tiberium in it? (like 20000 for a green parent). Or you could make it act the same as the parent from the first tiberium mod (almost not harvestable)

and i agree that the sonic pulse emitter must prevent.

EDIT:

did the forum die?

19. Post #259
    January 2009
    163 Posts
    Haven't used this addon in a while but I did yesterday and it is nice to see most everything is back now. Would there be a way to make Tiberium shatter if it got shot at too much?

20. Post #260
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,187 Posts
    Haven't used this addon in a while but I did yesterday and it is nice to see most everything is back now. Would there be a way to make Tiberium shatter if it got shot at too much?
    I can, but i won't, only specific weaponry can harm Tiberium (Sonic weapons).

21. Post #261
    January 2009
    163 Posts
    I can, but i won't, only specific weaponry can harm Tiberium (Sonic weapons).
    Ok. That is fine. Glad to see this addon is still coming along well.

22. Post #262
    September 2008
    397 Posts
    Guys this addon is great.
    Thanks for this, gives me tons to do.

23. Post #263
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    467 Posts
    Sonic pulse SWep is broken, but it still fills its primary role.

24. Post #264
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,187 Posts
    Sonic pulse SWep is broken, but it still fills its primary role.
    What is wrong with it?

25. Post #265
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    467 Posts
    It charges past 100, drops back to 0 at the same rate instead of all at once, and only fires while holding down the mouse button instead of on release.

26. Post #266
    June 2010
    11 Posts
    So are the multiple warheads implemented yet? I don't think so because the missle already has a basic warhead on it and I can't find/build a warhead machine.

27. Post #267
    January 2010
    9,520 Posts
    So are the multiple warheads implemented yet? I don't think so because the missle already has a basic warhead on it and I can't find/build a warhead machine.
    the mod isn't done yet, because of that there are no warheads yet.

Kialtia, so far i know there are not very much uses of liquid tiberium/chemical tiberium, can you tell what they will do once the mod is done?

28. Post #268
    June 2010
    11 Posts
    Why was there a complete rewrite of the mod again?
    "Kialtia, so far i know there are not very much uses of liquid tiberium/chemical tiberium, can you tell what they will do once the mod is done? "

In the old version, certain ratios of material would make different warheads, so that would be one use.

29. Post #269
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,187 Posts
    It charges past 100, drops back to 0 at the same rate instead of all at once, and only fires while holding down the mouse button instead of on release.
    The Sonic Emitter no longer charges, it emits continuously and the "ammo" you see is the heat, so far the heat doesn't do anything but it will be added later.

Edited:

Currently only the default one.

Edited:

the mod isn't done yet, because of that there are no warheads yet.

Kialtia, so far i know there are not very much uses of liquid tiberium/chemical tiberium, can you tell what they will do once the mod is done?
    Tiberium Chemicals will mainly be used as fuel and gas sprayers, the liquid Tiberium will be used for explosives and high end energy generators.

Edited:

Why was there a complete rewrite of the mod again?
    "Kialtia, so far i know there are not very much uses of liquid tiberium/chemical tiberium, can you tell what they will do once the mod is done? "

In the old version, certain ratios of material would make different warheads, so that would be one use.
    I did not rewrite the pack "again" i only did that once and still not all features are back in.

30. Post #270
    June 2010
    11 Posts
    The Sonic Emitter no longer charges, it emits continuously and the "ammo" you see is the heat, so far the heat doesn't do anything but it will be added later.

Edited:

Currently only the default one.

Edited:

Tiberium Chemicals will mainly be used as fuel and gas sprayers, the liquid Tiberium will be used for explosives and high end energy generators.

Edited:

I did not rewrite the pack "again" i only did that once and still not all features are back in.
    Oh sorry, I wasn't exactly clear. When I said "again", I meant it as in "Why are we doing this again?" like I forgot what the reason was.

I hope the warheads are added soon, because right now you can just wire the factory to constantly produce missles.

Is there a convar to change the tracking ability of the missles?

31. Post #271
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,187 Posts
    Oh sorry, I wasn't exactly clear. When I said "again", I meant it as in "Why are we doing this again?" like I forgot what the reason was.

I hope the warheads are added soon, because right now you can just wire the factory to constantly produce missles.

Is there a convar to change the tracking ability of the missles?
    I will try to add more warheads and stuff tomorrow/the day after.

You can already disable tracking by setting lock to 0 on the launcher, unless you mean a convar to disable it for everyone.

32. Post #272
    June 2010
    11 Posts
    I will try to add more warheads and stuff tomorrow/the day after.

You can already disable tracking by setting lock to 0 on the launcher, unless you mean a convar to disable it for everyone.
    I was looking for a way to increase the tracking. But your post gave me the reason why it wasn't working well. I thought that a pulse of 1 (like from a non-toggle button) would lock the missle on to the current coordinates inputed. I guess I'll use toggle buttons for the lock now.

Thank You

33. Post #273
    January 2010
    9,520 Posts
    Are you gonna make tiberium powered thrusters? (just like gas systems (2) does have)

34. Post #274
    June 2010
    11 Posts
    Are you gonna make tiberium powered thrusters? (just like gas systems (2) does have)
    But what kind of Tiberium would it use? I think chemical Tiberium would be the most realistic, because you could burn it for pressure. I guess the liquid form could work as a hydraulic thruster, but from what I heard it would explode when coming out of the thruster.

BTW, Does this use Gcombat damage?

35. Post #275
    May 2008
    361 Posts
    And if you're a tad obsessive like me, you'd hate harvesting away excess tiberium beyond your storage capacity just for the sake of being rid of it.
    Oh dear mother, i do the same thing.

IMO it should remove the tib. After all we don't really have a quick way of removing entire fields yet, do we?

BTW, Does this use Gcombat damage?
    Affraid not.

As for parent crystals... I think they should be unharvestable, and be used to spread tib crystals around just like ordinary crystals.
    Why? Because that way you don't have to worry that you'll harvest everything and won't have any tib left to grow back.
    I also think they should still be insta-kill on touch. Without the tib ragdolls,.

36. Post #276
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    Shouldn't it be the other way around?

37. Post #277
    June 2010
    11 Posts
    Oh dear mother, i do the same thing.

IMO it should remove the tib. After all we don't really have a quick way of removing entire fields yet, do we?

Affraid not.

As for parent crystals... I think they should be unharvestable, and be used to spread tib crystals around just like ordinary crystals.
    Why? Because that way you don't have to worry that you'll harvest everything and won't have any tib left to grow back.
    I also think they should still be insta-kill on touch. Without the tib ragdolls,.
    Sort of like the Tiberium Tower thing?

38. Post #278
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,187 Posts
    Shouldn't it be the other way around?
    Not really, in the C&C storyline the Liquids were highly explosive and were used to create a weapon of mass destruction.

39. Post #279
    May 2008
    361 Posts
    Sort of like the Tiberium Tower thing?
    From Lynix's addon? Yes, exactly.

40. Post #280
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,141 Posts
    Are there plans for hand held harvesters?

Also, what about tiberium zombies due to tiberium infection?

Also what about a shotgun that shoots tiberium shards that can produce tiberium infections?

Also also also, what about tiberium infecting trees?