1. Post #561
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,241 Posts
    When the new version comes out and the new visualizer gets released, then I'll fucking 24/7 DF.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

2. Post #562
    January 2009
    1,049 Posts
    Anyone know if turning off temperature will fix the boiling rivers bug(No aquatic life)?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

3. Post #563
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,734 Posts
    Anyone know if turning of temperature will fix the boiling rivers bug(No aquatic life)?
    the murky pools in one area remained dry for a year and a half for me.

And that's with Temperature set off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

4. Post #564
    January 2009
    1,049 Posts
    Gah, my high master weaponsmith is sitting in the workshop with a strange mood and want shells, so I think I'll let this fort rest until Toady has fixed this bug.

5. Post #565
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,241 Posts
    What bug? Do you mean that you have shells and he won't pick them up?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

6. Post #566
    January 2009
    1,049 Posts
    What bug? Do you mean that you have shells and he won't pick them up?
    No fish in the river/ponds around the map, at all. And you don't get shells from eating turtles any more, you get them when you prepare them raw, so you have to fish them yourself.

7. Post #567
    July 2008
    333 Posts
    I want to wait for the next version with the fixed bugs, just like I wanted to wait for DF2010 before starting a new fortress.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #568
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,734 Posts
    Dammit, too much Gold, not enough iron, I know it's there, somewhere (the layers are perfect for it) I just can't find it.

I'll just survive on my 11 discovered veins of Gold (within the first 30 minutes of playing) :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #569
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    I am making the dwarven tower city.
    Five towers line up into the sky, the first four are workshops and storage for materials.
    The fifth is the entrance to the main fort which is about 5 storys under the top.
    You climb the large 5th tower which is full of defenses (like my super mondo waterfall drain system that should be able to push elefants off into the open sky.) and fun until you reach the top.
    The 5 floors after the entrance are living, dinning and the temple on the top.
    These final floors are in the middle and use the 4 towers as support.
    The temple would have a drop zone and a prison where all the prisoners are stored, this ends in them falling down into either the lava sea, water thing, HLF or maybe a cavern.
    If they survive (they won't) they will prob. go wandering around until something kills them.

10. Post #570
    October 2008
    107 Posts
    How do i get more dogs?

People are robbing my stuff and i cant get a dog to train as a war dog and position him at my entrance.

BTw, how do i position a dog at my entrance?

11. Post #571
    CRUSHER OF DREAMS AND EATER OF SKITTLES
    August 2007
    5,614 Posts
    I want another Gibbed's Tweak to come out.
    I want to start a fortress with 30 dwarves and start building an above ground fortress instantly.

12. Post #572
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,056 Posts
    Tweak would be cool, sure, but I'd rather love a new Companion. Turning cave fish into crocodiles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

13. Post #573
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,404 Posts
    Five days without a devlog update, hnnngggg.

14. Post #574
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,937 Posts
    How do i get more dogs?

People are robbing my stuff and i cant get a dog to train as a war dog and position him at my entrance.

BTw, how do i position a dog at my entrance?
    You need a chain/rope. Build the chain/rope near your entrance. Press 'q', hover over it, and assign the dog to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

15. Post #575
    January 2008
    390 Posts
    I finally decided to man up and stop using the supremely uninteresting embark sites created by the advanced parameters (9 times out of 10 the only decent site would be entirely flat for miles around and completely unremarkable). I created a new world, and thought I had a nice little site: quite mountainous, good climate, and so on. Then I realised that I didn't have a river, but an aquifer.

Ah well; I'm here now and might as well deal with the problem. As far as I can tell, I have a pretty decent area to work with before the aquifer actually poses a problem to my expansion, with about three levels of stone (one where my wagon was placed and two above). Digging down is more of an issue, but as far as I can tell as long as I'm careful to avoid the sandstone (which is what contains the aquifer) I should be okay. All of the methods that I've found for actually dealing with the aquifer seem like more trouble than they're worth: I don't have any readily-available magma, for example.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #576
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,937 Posts
    I finally decided to man up and stop using the supremely uninteresting embark sites created by the advanced parameters (9 times out of 10 the only decent site would be entirely flat for miles around and completely unremarkable). I created a new world, and thought I had a nice little site: quite mountainous, good climate, and so on. Then I realised that I didn't have a river, but an aquifer.

Ah well; I'm here now and might as well deal with the problem. As far as I can tell, I have a pretty decent area to work with before the aquifer actually poses a problem to my expansion, with about three levels of stone (one where my wagon was placed and two above). Digging down is more of an issue, but as far as I can tell as long as I'm careful to avoid the sandstone (which is what contains the aquifer) I should be okay. All of the methods that I've found for actually dealing with the aquifer seem like more trouble than they're worth: I don't have any readily-available magma, for example.
    When you dig into the aquifer and it starts filling up, use a pump to keep draining all the water out. While it's being drained, build walls around your stairs or whatever, remove the pump, and your aquifer problem is done.

17. Post #577
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,097 Posts
    When you dig into the aquifer and it starts filling up, use a pump to keep draining all the water out. While it's being drained, build walls around your stairs or whatever, remove the pump, and your aquifer problem is done.
    Smoothing the aquifer will also stop it draining.

18. Post #578
    CRUSHER OF DREAMS AND EATER OF SKITTLES
    August 2007
    5,614 Posts
    So I made an "All Adamantine fortress" for laughs (made it so I could make free wafers at the smelter)

My first strange mood happens to be a speardwarf that has -admantine breastplate- and *adamantine greaves* as well as the -adamantine spear-.
    I'm worried about what will happen if I don't have the right stuff.

Oh yeah, and it's not even the end of the first year and my fort is worth more than 1 million.

Edited:

Population: 37

Created Wealth: 1.3 million

19. Post #579
    January 2008
    390 Posts
    Oh, damn, I just realised that irrigation could be a bit of a pain -- could I use the aquifer as a water source to irrigate a farm?

20. Post #580
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,080 Posts
    Oh, damn, I just realised that irrigation could be a bit of a pain -- could I use the aquifer as a water source to irrigate a farm?
    Can you use your somewhat troublesome source of infinite water as a water source? Yes. Just be careful or you'll flood the world, or the underground, or both.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

21. Post #581
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,283 Posts
    I flooded an underground cavern once. It took a while to wall off the exits, but it was well worth it.

22. Post #582
    November 2007
    1,064 Posts
    I find Toady's lack of updates disturbing.

23. Post #583
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    I want another Gibbed's Tweak to come out.
    I want to start a fortress with 30 dwarves and start building an above ground fortress instantly.
    If we got any FP members who play DF and would take up the project it would be nice.

24. Post #584
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,734 Posts
    I find Toady's lack of updates disturbing.
    Scamps grew up, and as he always does when he grows up, he consumes the blood of his owner to revert back to a kitten state.

25. Post #585
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,718 Posts

Great, It's vacation time for more than half the dwarfs in my fort.
    :saddowns:

26. Post #586
    October 2008
    107 Posts
    I made my butcher go catch a live animal, he took a trap, went into my food stockpile and caught a lizard.

How do i empty the trap/do something with the lizard

27. Post #587
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    Fuck, I just started playing and now I'm hooked. Nineteen-fucking-migrants just rushed in and I can't be bothered to fix them all up in the Therapist :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Thailand Show Events

28. Post #588
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,832 Posts
    fffffffffff toady's slacking :((

29. Post #589
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,110 Posts
    fffffffffff toady's slacking :((
    indeed

Edited:

now 5 days in a row without a bugfix

who bets for a week

30. Post #590
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,832 Posts
    me :(

31. Post #591
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,056 Posts
    Hey, he just released a massive build, give him some slack. He might be working on it anyway, just too lazy to make a dev post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

32. Post #592
    July 2007
    545 Posts
    Just had a legendary miner fall two stories, and he now has a red wound on his leg, one of his ribs, and his liver.

Is he likely to die? Can he still work in that state? I've never really understood how the wound colours work. :(

33. Post #593
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    704 Posts
    I'm guessing he'll be fine if his doctor doesn't suck. I had a dwarf who was fine till he went to hospital(he had some wounds but nothing deadly just a mangled ear.) The miner/expedition leader with no healthcare job and no healthcare skill decided to play surgeon and the dwarf died of infection.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

34. Post #594
    July 2007
    545 Posts
    I'm guessing he'll be fine if his doctor doesn't suck. I had a dwarf who was fine till he went to hospital(he had some wounds but nothing deadly just a mangled ear.) The miner/expedition leader with no healthcare job and no healthcare skill decided to play surgeon and the dwarf died of infection.
    "Um, yeah, doc it's probably nothing, but my ear's a bit mangled. Could you take a look at it?"
    "Hmm... yes. Oh, yes. Hmm."
    "Well?"
    "Nurse, fetch the bonesaw."

35. Post #595
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,110 Posts
    Just had a legendary miner fall two stories, and he now has a red wound on his leg, one of his ribs, and his liver.

Is he likely to die? Can he still work in that state? I've never really understood how the wound colours work. :(
    If it's the new version, check his health page from his profile (v-p-z or something, not sure how it works in the new version). The wounds page in v-w isn't very detailed.

Edited:

Also, because healthcare is utterly broken in .03, you'll likely suffer from these bugs:

When a patient is diagnosed and treated, some wounds may heal before treatment occurs. If this happens, the surgery/suturing/etc jobs will never complete, and the patient will never be deemed healed. You now have a permanent invalid.
    Unless of course you somehow re-injure/poke the dwarf. This will cause a new diagnosis to be made and may free the invalid.
    If you remove the bed the dwarf is resting in, he will notice that he is ok and leave the hospital.
    Surgery is broken. It won't work, and poking the dwarf won't help either.
    Traction bench is broken
    Bone setting is broken
    Gypsum powder is not stored at the hospital.
    Dwarves with healthcare jobs will take supplies from normal stockpiles instead of the hospital to do their work.
    The hospital often stores more materials than are assigned.
    The quality and value of a finished traction bench doesn't account for all of the inputs used to make it.
    Dwarves without a depot will steal hospital items and store them once a trade caravan arrives.

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/He...#ixzz0lxcD5z6z
    A red wound usually requires surgery or bone setting so you probably will lose the dwarf as both jobs are broken (accidental pun).

36. Post #596
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,455 Posts
    Is there a way to move a cage out of the stockpile without the inhabitant escaping. I try to build its cage and it is released the second the worker touches it. How the hell am I going to move monsters into the deathpit if they keep escaping?

37. Post #597
    September 2007
    688 Posts
    If it's the new version, check his health page from his profile (v-p-z or something, not sure how it works in the new version). The wounds page in v-w isn't very detailed.

Edited:

Also, because healthcare is utterly broken in .03, you'll likely suffer from these bugs:

A red wound usually requires surgery or bone setting so you probably will lose the dwarf as both jobs are broken (accidental pun).
    Surgery isn't broken, you just need to get a doctor on it right away to try and make sure that wounds don't heal and break the job.

Well, I've gotten surgery to work, at least.

38. Post #598
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,110 Posts
    Surgery isn't broken, you just need to get a doctor on it right away to try and make sure that wounds don't heal and break the job.

Well, I've gotten surgery to work, at least.
    "you just need to get a doctor on it right away to try and make sure that wounds don't heal and break the job."

Sounds broken to me if it requires you to act quickly and hope for a stroke of luck (wounds must not heal) so it doesn't fuck up completely.

If it isn't broken, surgery should work at all times.

39. Post #599
    September 2007
    688 Posts
    "you just need to get a doctor on it right away to try and make sure that wounds don't heal and break the job."

Sounds broken to me if it requires you to act quickly and hope for a stroke of luck (wounds must not heal) so it doesn't fuck up completely.

If it isn't broken, surgery should work at all times.
    Well, not utterly broken, just mostly broken.

But, yeah.

40. Post #600
    October 2008
    107 Posts
    I made my butcher go catch a live animal, he took a trap, went into my food stockpile and caught a lizard.

How do i empty the trap/do something with the lizard
    Nobody ever answers me D: