1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,165 Posts
    :siren: As of April 19th, you can preorder the game and when you do, you get access to the beta and a FREE copy to give away to a friend! So get preordering. Get started by heading over to the game's website: :siren:
    http://www.frozensynapse.com/

I got permission from the OP of the other thread to create a new one. So please, do not whine at me for making another one.

What is Frozen Synapse?
    Frozen Synapse is a tactical strategy game made by the independent developer Mode7Games. The guys who are also behind the game Determinance (About two years ago or so they were generous enough to offer a handful of free copies to Facepunch members.)
    Mode7Games consists of a core team of three people. Kudos to those three talented fellows!
    The game is a turnbased strategy game where the player controls a squad of soldiers. Planning out their orders each turn and then watching as how the plan of attack plays out.

:siren:Click the image below for more screenshots and videos on the game!:siren:

The game requires more than weapons to complete. A sharp mind must follow as well if you want to win.
    As you make your move each turn, so will the enemy and as time goes by the battle will unfold and eventually, only one team will be standing.

Frozen synapse will feature a set of community features, such as an ingame recorder that lets you upload straight to youtube and ingame IRC channel.
    As of the current beta, the game has two singleplayer modes, Skirmish and puzzle mode along with multiplayer. The game will get more multiplayer modes as the game nears completion.
    A list with all the features of the game. (NOTE: Some have yet to be implemented but they will be added as time goes.)
    [LIST]
    [*]Simultaneous-turn-based competitive match-oriented tactical joy!

[*]Multiplayer: four game modes, including Hostage Rescue and the fiendish bidding-based Secure mode...

[*]Single Player: Campaign Mode (coming soon), Skirmish mode and Puzzle mode.

[*]Your units sport machine guns, shotguns, sniper rifles, rocket launchers and grenade launchers for the ultimate tactical assault.

[*]Hand-crafted maps, random map generator AND a map editor!

[*]Community features: share, rate and comment on games; Daily and Global ranking system; simple, instant matchmaking.

[*]Destructible terrain: blow a huge hole in a wall with a rocket, then send in your close-range units...

[*]Simple YouTube export: just enter your account details and the game will automatically encode and upload any match you choose...

[*]No limited installs or similar nonsense: just create an account once you've downloaded, you're good to go![/LIST]

System requirements:
    The game features simple yet great visuals and will work on just about any system but just to make sure that your ancient PC will be able to run it, here are the requirements:

[LIST][*]OS Requirements: Windows XP, Vista, 7

[*]Ram: 512meg

[*]Processor/Gfx card: will run on low-end modern hardware (e.g. netbooks)[/LIST]
    A trailer showing the game.

The game is slated for a release later this year but you can still get your hands on it by pre-ordering.
    And as with (almost) all independent developers. They will make sure to support their game and since it's just an early beta, they will be sure to patch it up as much as they can.

If you ever feel like having a chat with the games community and sometimes even the developers themselves then head over to their IRC channel!
    irc.maxgaming.net #mode7games

Otherwise you can head over to their ModDB page for the latest news and updates:
    http://www.moddb.com/games/frozen-synapse
    Or you can go to their website and check out their other projects:
    http://www.mode7games.com/

Some media:

This is raw gameplay footage from the game. Remember that this is from their build back in March so things might have changed.

Here's a tutorial that will help you get started with the game.

Some previews and hands on articles about the game, made by various websites. Thanks to Howling techie for the tip!
    [LIST][*]Details: http://www.geek.com/articles/games/i...oday-20100419/

[*]Hands on: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fr...napse-hands-on

[*]Beta 'review' http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...rozen-synapse/[/LIST]
    NOTE: I will try and update the thread as time goes on. The most important stuff will be visible at the top of the OP.
    Also, tell me if you spot any errors and feel free to PM me with suggestions and whatnot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Late Late x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,248 Posts
    Very interesting game! Looks complex :D

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    734 Posts
    If it's turn based, it ain't a real time strategy game (rts)
    Just saying
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,248 Posts
    I'd gladly trade my Determinance key for a copy of this game.
    Although I am not sure if the key still works.

5. Post #5
    March 2010
    1,989 Posts
    How many people would be willing to go halves? Not quite sure how I would do it though...

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    13,888 Posts
    Just thought I'd groundfloor this by being a filthy beggar and asking for someone's free copy.

7. Post #7
    August 2009
    742 Posts
    Just thought I'd groundfloor this by being a filthy beggar and asking for someone's free copy.
    Good idea. Me too.

8. Post #8
    March 2010
    1,989 Posts
    IF I were to get it, I would be more than happy to put my second code onto eBay or something. Not exactly free, but better than full price, right?

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,165 Posts
    If it's turn based, it ain't a real time strategy game (rts)
    Just saying
    Oh damn, I'm a moron. :doh:
    You are right, but.. there is nothing I can do about that now. Shouldn't the correct term be, TS? As in Turnbased Strategy or something.

Edited:

Now I don't have the game myself either but lets all agree on not begging for the second copy. If there is anyone who wants to share their second one, I'm sure they'll mention it. No need to ask for it.

10. Post #10
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,838 Posts
    Looks pretty awesome.

11. Post #11
    May 2005
    909 Posts
    Looks kinda like the game Introversion Software is working on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Actually a cool guy
    June 2005
    3,029 Posts
    Epic game. Definitely worth getting.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    3,814 Posts
    Why do we have to Pre-order to beta test
    It would help them if we could all tell them the bugs and all enjoy it, even if we have an expire date for it, such as when it is really released
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    510 Posts
    I wish this is on steam
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,799 Posts
    My friend bought this for me :D My name in game is Fact. If you try challenging me now though I probably won't accept it because I'm still confused as fuck.

16. Post #16
    August 2009
    435 Posts
    My friend bought this for me :D My name in game is Fact. If you try challenging me now though I probably won't accept it because I'm still confused as fuck.
    That would be me.

I really do suggest getting this game, and we can all get some FP games going. It takes a few games to get used to, but it's really fun and tactical.

Although there are some bugs / annoying things related to the random map generator. For example, I had a sniper surrounded by big walls so I couldn't move or shoot past them. Another time, my machine gunner was directly in front of an enemy machine gunner but facing the opposite direction, so he would kill me no matter what I did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    April 2009
    2,673 Posts
    I'll preorder the game when i get the money, 1 May.
    Looks really interesting, love tactical games, there've not been many of these around lately.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,165 Posts
    I wish this is on steam
    They are working on sending a build over to Valve and hopefully they'll enjoy it and work out a deal so that they can get it up on steam.

Why do we have to Pre-order to beta test
    It would help them if we could all tell them the bugs and all enjoy it, even if we have an expire date for it, such as when it is really released
    Because it's a way for the developers to raise funds. You help an independent team of three people by doing so and you get a great game. The game will probably have a demo eventually.

19. Post #19
    Bold Member
    Dennab
    October 2006
    3,815 Posts
    I find it too expensive considering it appears to be a game I wouldn't play much. If a demo existed or the beta was open ( Time limited ? ) I'd consider a purchase.

20. Post #20
    April 2009
    2,673 Posts
    I find it too expensive considering it appears to be a game I wouldn't play much. If a demo existed or the beta was open ( Time limited ? ) I'd consider a purchase.
    You can always buy MW2 and play it instead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,057 Posts
    Looks fun

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    4,536 Posts
    Yeah, indie devs are overpricing their games nowdays.

23. Post #23
    Bold Member
    Dennab
    October 2006
    3,815 Posts
    Yeah, indie devs are overpricing their games nowdays.
    I don't understand why. But holy fuck that's expensive in my mind. Look at Garry's Mod, only 10 fucking dollars! You can't just expect me to throw down 20+$ on something I have no reason to buy except some videos.

You can always buy MW2 and play it instead.
    Uh, what ?

24. Post #24
    March 2010
    1,989 Posts
    Would anyone consider buying my second code? I have 10 to spend, so if someone were to put the other 7 towards it, I would be happy with that.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    4,536 Posts
    Would anyone consider buying my second code? I have 10 to spend, so if someone were to put the other 7 towards it, I would be happy with that.
    Yes, but unfortunately I won't have the money until friday.

26. Post #26
    April 2009
    2,673 Posts
    I'm going to buy the "support" version (25€) and give the second code to my friend.
    I love this kind of games.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,799 Posts
    I'm starting to get the hang of this and I'm liking it a lot more. It's a great game to have open on the side while you're browsing Facepunch or something. You can start a round with somebody and until somebody wins the game will be available forever. You can have multiple games going at once with tons of different people.

28. Post #28
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    17,009 Posts
    Looks very cool. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I don't have the money to spend right now.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,097 Posts
    In game irc client? Fucking sold.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,310 Posts
    I played this when they were at Reading uni. It was alright. I asked a developer and he said they are releasing it on Steam.

31. Post #31
    December 2009
    2,516 Posts
    I played this when they were at Reading uni. It was alright. I asked a developer and he said they are releasing it on Steam.
    Offtopic
    Reading Uni? As in england, berkshire? Dude, I live in reading.

Ontopic

This looks pretty fucking sweet, but I doubt I'd play it much.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,310 Posts
    Yeah, Berkshire. ;)

It's hardly a small town, heh. I was pretty excited to try it though, we tried it about a month and a half ago. It was good but it was still quite buggy at the time.

33. Post #33
    December 2009
    2,516 Posts
    By the way, are there any other games that are similar to this? I want to see if I have this sort of strategy game (and whether I like it) before I buy.

34. Post #34
    March 2010
    1,989 Posts
    Anyone willing to trade my APB beta code for one of the friend codes?

Details:http://www.geek.com/articles/games/i...oday-20100419/
    Hands on:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fr...napse-hands-on
    Beta 'review' http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...rozen-synapse/

Similar game (also upcoming) http://www.neoseeker.com/news/13188-...sion-unveiled/

The articles also mention similar games.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,809 Posts
    Reminds me of Geometry Wars.

36. Post #36
    December 2009
    2,516 Posts
    Anyone willing to trade my APB beta code for one of the friend codes?

Details:http://www.geek.com/articles/games/i...oday-20100419/
    Hands on:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fr...napse-hands-on
    Beta 'review' http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...rozen-synapse/

Similar game (also upcoming) http://www.neoseeker.com/news/13188-...sion-unveiled/

The articles also mention similar games.
    I know about subversion, I've been following that game for a couple of weeks now. Just a quick question, does anyone know of any kind of demo or something that may be released to everyone?

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,165 Posts
    Updated the OP with the following content. Thanks to Howling techie for the tip.

Edited:

Oops.. the links are all broken.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,624 Posts
    Reminds me of Introversion games. Subversion, to be exact.
    Possibly buying this, looks pretty cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,165 Posts
    Fixed the broken links!

40. Post #40
    January 2009
    349 Posts
    I'd rather see a sequel to Determinance.