1. Post #321
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    11,381 Posts
    There's an entire ship, and it's manned by only one USCM squad?

It's not a small ship evidently, so realistically it'd have more personnel than just the squad that is going to be deployed.
    Well, the Nostromo was much larger than the Sulaco, and that ship was self automated by Mother. Perhaps a similar AI without the evil Weyland personality?

2. Post #322
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    183 Posts
    What the hell does Fassbender mean by: "There's a definite connecting vein"? That it's basically a remake, but with a different alien?
    Goddamnit.

3. Post #323
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    17,626 Posts
    What the hell does Fassbender mean by: "There's a definite connecting vein"? That it's basically a remake, but with a different alien?
    Goddamnit.
    If they redesign the alien, I'm hanging myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #324
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,633 Posts
    If anyone but Giger redesigns it then I'd understand being upset. I'm still hoping that Giger is attached and doing as much work with this movie as possible, regardless of it maybe or maybe not being an Alien movie anymore.

5. Post #325
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    2,483 Posts
    Alien 3 on film4 +1 right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #326
    May 2010
    10,939 Posts
    If anyone but Giger redesigns it then I'd understand being upset. I'm still hoping that Giger is attached and doing as much work with this movie as possible, regardless of it maybe or maybe not being an Alien movie anymore.
    I thought they confirmed he was already working on the project?

7. Post #327
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,633 Posts
    So yeah I've turned this thread around and made it be about this Prometheus movie now. Here's some new updates for it:

vague synopsis:
    Visionary filmmaker Ridley Scott returns to the genre he helped define, creating an original science fiction epic set in the most dangerous corners of the universe. The film takes a team of scientists and explorers on a thrilling journey that will test their physical and mental limits and strand them on a distant world, where they will discover the answers to our most profound questions and to life's ultimate mystery.

Interview with writer David Lindelof on the film's connection to Alien
    “It started as an ‘Alien’ prequel. That is what everybody wanted it to be. Obviously, Ridley Scott has not made a science fiction movie in 25 years, sinceBlade Runner, so the idea that he’s returning to this genre is huge. But there is a real issue which is – what is the state of the ‘Alien’ franchise at this point in our lives? There has been ‘Alien vs. Predator’ and all these things, and its been completely and totally diluted. I’ve always felt that really good prequels should be original movies.

And the sequels to those prequels should not be the movie which already exists because, with all due respect to anyone who makes a prequel, but why would you ruin the greatest twist in the history of cinema, “Luke, I am your father”, by showing me three movies which basically spoil that surprise. You can do movies which take place before ‘Star Wars’, but I don’t need to see the story of the Skywalker clan. Show me something else which I can’t guess the possible outcome of. There is no suspense in inevitability. So a true prequel should essentially proceed the events of the original film, but be about something entirely different, feature different characters , have an entirely different theme, although it takes place in that same world. That was my fundamental feeling about what this movie wanted to be.”

“And truth be told” – continued Lindelof – “it wasn’t script doctoring in the strictest sense because the draft that existed before I came on was written by this guy named Jon Spaihts and it was very good. And there were a lot of things in the movie, ‘Prometheus,’ which were Jon Spaihts’ and I feel like somewhere in the media reconstruction of this story, the tale is that I come in, I pitch an entirely new story, and its so original that everything else gets thrown out and that’s what we’re doing. In my brain, that’s not exactly what happened.

But I also do feel that this movie is the movie I would want to see as a fanboy, take place in that ‘Alien’ universe, which precedes the events of the original Alien, but is not necessarily burdened by all the tropes of that franchise with Facehuggers and Chestbursters, and all that stuff that I love… but its sorta like, we’ve seen it before, can we do something different this time? And thats the movie that Ridley wanted to make. And when you’re working with an auteur, you basically just shut your mouth and listen and try to transcribe and channel the vision of that person, and get out of the way.”

Thoughts from Creature Designer Neville Page on working on the film:
    "My approach is nervous," he said with a smile. "I approach Ridley with great nervous energy because it is such an undertaking. ['Alien'] was the movie that inspired everything for me, not just creature design, but filmmaking in general," he admitted. "It is a huge undertaking to try and take it to the next level; to make Ridley proud, to make [H.R.] Giger proud, there's a lot involved with that."

What about the amount of practical effects, which were largely relied upon and highly successful in the original "Alien," vs. the amound of CG effects he and Scott plan to use?

"I don't know, I can only asume that it's going to be like with ['Green Lantern']," said Page, who worked his magic with creature design on Hal Jordan and CO. "[We'll] use whatever it takes to make it look as good as it needs to look."

8. Post #328
    December 2008
    11,381 Posts
    Thanks for the update.

9. Post #329
    May 2010
    10,939 Posts
    yessss

H R Giger on patrol

gonna take ass and kick names
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

10. Post #330
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,026 Posts
    I don't get why people say that just because some random comic book claims it.
    Doesn't Predator 2 have an alien's skull in it somewhere?

Edited:

yeah I'm right

11. Post #331
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,633 Posts
    yessss

H R Giger on patrol

gonna take ass and kick names
    Yeah I was worried about Giger being dropped since it looked for awhile like this wasn't gonna be an Alien film anymore, and who knew what other changes might have been coming, but considering Page mentions making Giger proud I guess he's still in. Good shit.

Edited:

Doesn't Predator 2 have an alien's skull in it somewhere?

Edited:

yeah I'm right
    Yea, they probably just did that as a tribute/joke. Alien, predator, and alien vs predator are three separate things are far as I'm concerned. Better off that way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #332
    December 2008
    11,381 Posts
    The Stan Winston crew just thought that it was a good decision because of the AVP comics.

13. Post #333
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    183 Posts
    Oh dear god, the creature designer worked on Green Lantern. We're all gonna die.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

14. Post #334
    You had me at meat tornado.
    June 2008
    5,560 Posts
    I really want Vangelis to score this film, it would make for an another awesome soundtrack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #335
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,534 Posts
    Oh dear god, the creature designer worked on Green Lantern. We're all gonna die.
    Designer ruins movie?

You're an imbecile.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #336
    January 2009
    1,058 Posts
    Interview with writer David Lindelof on the film's connection to Alien:
    wall of text
    I really trust Lindelof on this, after reading the interview seems like he knows what he's doing, I have high hopes for this.

17. Post #337

June 2011
    137 Posts
    So 100% confirmed no Xenomorphs in this movie? :c

18. Post #338
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,523 Posts
    Yep the creature designer killed that one

Wasn't the poor acting or the awful story or the shit writing

Stop being dumb

Edited:

If this movie does any shout-outs to alien I hope it's subtle

Subtle throwbacks are the best throwbacks

19. Post #339
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,633 Posts
    Click quick before the pics get taken down http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article...theus-set-pics
    Some set pics.

20. Post #340
    November 2009
    6,434 Posts
    i still want that alien prequel, though.

why not have both?

21. Post #341
    May 2010
    10,939 Posts
    FUCK YES

H R Giger up in this mother fucker
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #342
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,633 Posts
    i still want that alien prequel, though.

why not have both?
    It seems like they are since Ridley said a few days back this movie does still revolve around the space jockey, despite claiming this had become more than a prequel to alien.

http://www.alienprequelnews.com/2011...etheus-is.html

"Scott acknowledged that Prometheus, while not a direct prequel to Alien, occupies the same general universe, saying the picture was inspired by a desire to explore the mystery of the "space jockey" the giant fossilized creature with the burst-open chest seen in the first Alien movie but never explained."

Edited:

Then again that article did only say "inspired by" so maybe not, i don't know aaaaaaaaa

23. Post #343
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,523 Posts
    I hope it has something to do with space jockeys even if there won't be any Aliens in it

That would be hells of sweet

24. Post #344
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    5,999 Posts
    So 100% confirmed no Xenomorphs in this movie? :c
    They haven't confirmed or uncomfirmed anything other than cast and leaked some set shots from the new derelict.

25. Post #345
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    183 Posts
    Those pics got taken down fast man. Also I'm dumb.

26. Post #346
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,285 Posts
    So apparently footage was just shown at Comic-Con. Facehugger eggs and Michael Fassbender.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

27. Post #347
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,085 Posts

Well would you look at that.

Apparently a leak is floating around here somwhere

28. Post #348
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,285 Posts
    Is that from the clip/teaser they showed? Is there a link to it somewhere?

29. Post #349
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,085 Posts
    Is that from the clip/teaser they showed? Is there a link to it somewhere?
    No, thats an official still released an hour or two ago, maybe about the same time the clip was on at comic con.

Picture from the comic-con floor:

Certainly has an alien vibe to the suit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #350
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,285 Posts
    Looks like Noomi Rapace.

31. Post #351
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,085 Posts
    Looks like Noomi Rapace.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that, too. It is, infact, Noomi Rapace inside that there suit.

Secondly, should I keep posting my findings?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #352
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,285 Posts
    Yes, please do!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #353
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,085 Posts
    Rob Keyes posted:
    There's DNA of Alien but the rest of it is new. The footage is VERY similar to the style and aesthetic of Aliens. Fassbender looks great as an android.
    Fassbender is an android! Sorry if this is old.

34. Post #354

November 2010
    482 Posts
    Secondly, should I keep posting my findings?
    I you could be so kind.

I hope the movie wont contain two different kinds of monsters fighting each other. It never ends up any good.

35. Post #355
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,085 Posts
    Hey, did somebody miss out on those set pictures? might not be here forever, but here they are.

THEY MIGHT BE RELATED TO PROMETHEUS'S ENDING AND PLOT POINTS. IF YOU DONT WANT TO SEE THEM SCROLL DOWN VERY FAST ONCE YOU FINISH READING THIS.

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/uplo...theus_set4.jpg
    http://www.prometheus-movie.com/uplo...theus_set3.jpg
    http://www.prometheus-movie.com/uploads/set_pic_1.jpg

END.

More from comic-con!

And then the actual footage from the film starts, and its a huge flood of creeptastic imagery that recalls Alien but also a bit of 2001: A Space Odyssey. There are guys in pressure suits exploring an ancient chamber with weird hieroglyphs, and a guy in a spacesuit walking through a sliding door into a clean white chamber. And a guy (who might be Michael Fassbender) pulling a weird jelly-looking thing out of a canister. And as Ridley Scott's voiceover notes that things that may look small in the film will turn out to be important, there is a shot of a drop of blood on a finger. There is Charlize Theron on a table with bandages wrapped around her breasts, as though she's waking from hypersleep.

And then the footage gets faster and more furious, with a guy in a visor looking down at something, a woman in a suit walking into a red entryway, and a globe, and then Scott says, "The cast find an establishment which is not what they expected it to be, it's a civilization but what we find in it is very uncivilized behavior." And then there is insane carnage and people with goop inside their space helmets and someone shooting a flamethrower, and mayhem breaking loose in confined spaces. Meanwhile, Scott's voiceover is saying that there will be biomechanoids and the film will "break new ground." We see a giant pale planet with rings around it.

And then we see Charlize Theron doing pushups naked. Ridley Scott proises that there will be creatures that are "biomechanoid" which will be unique and "break new ground." Says Scott in the video, "There is a DNA of the original Alien, [but] that's as far as it goes, everything else is completely different. It's all about everything." And now the people in the footage are crying and screaming and freaking out and the video is flickering like an interrupted signal. And Scott concludes, "Of course, what i want to do is scare the living shit out of you."

Damon Lindelof, who was moderating the panel, talked about getting the call from Ridley Scott asking him to work on this movie, and the long process of the two of them sitting across the table from each other hashing out this movie. At first, the "$64,000 question" was whether this was an Alien prequel, but eventually they moved past that.

Theron came out on stage and talked about how the script had seemed really rough when she first came on board, and she worked with Scott and Lindelof to improve it. Theron plays Meredith Vickers in the film, and she described her character:

She's very different from anything I've done. She's a suit, essentially. She's kind of the machine that runs the machine, that takes this mission into space. At first, she comes across like a suit, very cold and frigid, it seems that it's all about the economics for her — she doesn't really come from one side or the other, she's not a scientist or a believer. She runs a tight ship. But you can tell that she's going to be a problem. And then later... We had all kind of layered her and given her [hidden depths]. You think you know who she is [but she's an enigma]. Ridley started doing this interesting thing, where he would have me stand in corners and lurk all the time, and it wound up being really mysterious. In the third act, you really kind of strip her from her skin and see what her bones are about, and what she's really doing there.

And then we were patched into Ridley Scott via live video feed — Scott is in Iceland, near a waterfall, where he's just been doing the final bit of filming for a sequence at the start of the movie.

Scott explained why he stayed away from science fiction for 25 years:

I was actually too busy doing other movies and exploring other genres, so frankly I never actually thought about science fiction until I realized there was something in the first Alien movie that nobody had ever asked the question about ... and I thought that could be the centerpiece of what we've just completed. That said, that is the only DNA loosely applied to the original Alien. We've gone in a different directions, but in the last few minutes of this movie you'll see what I'm talking about.

And Scott hinted that "there may be two robots in Prometheus," not just the one android who's rumored to be in the film. He added: "I think robots and androids and Replicants have become so much part of the actual science fiction scenario and landscape, that they're no longer unique. [So] you've got to come up with those unique notions that make something fresh."

36. Post #356
    December 2008
    11,381 Posts
    Fassbender is an android! Sorry if this is old.
    Hopefully he doesn't go all Ash on us.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

37. Post #357
    equalize, distort, equalize
    March 2007
    5,020 Posts
    Awesome, you can tell Giger's been stirring up shit already, just look at those wacky walls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #358
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,085 Posts
    Well, im tired and my laptop battery is running dry. Sorry I cant keep up my news gathering but i'll mop up the rest tommorow.

Goodnight, and good hunting, gents.

39. Post #359
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,633 Posts
    Uh if you think a picture spoils something, then don't image tag it. People want to see it, they can just click it. Thanks

40. Post #360
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,085 Posts
    Uh if you think a picture spoils something, then don't image tag it. People want to see it, they can just click it. Thanks
    Oh, right, yeah. Dont know why I didnt think of that. Thanks.

Edit:

Ridley Scott discussing prometheus from iceland, from the prometheus panel
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)