1. Post #1321
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,209 Posts
    Was reading through some reviews and found a list that summed up everything that really bothered me.

[table="width: 1500"]
    [tr]
    [td]•
    •
    •
    •
    •
    •
    •
    •
    •
    •
    •
    •
    •[/td]
    [td]   Why were the engineers much smaller than the space jockey in alien?
    What was the green gem we were shown in the chamber but it was never spoken of again?
    Why did the engineers all run away in that hologram, what went wrong?
    Why did the space jockey's heads explode for no reason?
    Why did the engineer decide to go crazy and kill the entire crew after being in cryostasis for over 2000 years?
    Why was there a picture of a xenomorph on the wall?
    Why was the star map on earth showing the location of a random moon that was home to one of the many random engineer testing sites/military base - not actually their home world?
    Why did Vickers have a med-pod in her room that 'only worked with men'?
    How did they conveniently forget there was a 1 tonne giant squid living in Vickers' quarters for a considerable period of time?
    Why did the alien at the end look almost nothing like any xenomorph ever seen before?
    Why was there a geolgist on board who didnt show any interest in any rocks, or any form of science the whole time he was there?
    Why did the scientist pet a snake 3 times which was clearly an aggressive dangerous alien?
    Why did David infect holloway with the alien DNA? what was the point? Why would Weyland give the order to infect Holloway and risk the entire crew? 
      [/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]
    I don't know, it seems like they left out all the good parts. Should we expect a recut?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1322
    equalize, distort, equalize
    March 2007
    5,020 Posts
    Michael Fassbender saved this movie from being completely bad imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

3. Post #1323
    Beverage Bandit
    November 2005
    19,204 Posts
       At the end when they're running away from the big crashing ship, why not just run to the fuCKING SIDE   
    ye lol
    that part felt like a cartoon

4. Post #1324
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,037 Posts
    I'm entirely convinced that the cut out a lot of footage to make the runtime smaller, because some scenes really just don't connect. I expect like a 3 hour long directors cut for the DVD.

also the medpod thingy was calibrated to men because vickers was a roBOT. Weyland was like 100/110 by the time you see him in the film, and vickers like about 30-40. I don't think he was getting much around that 60/70 age band, so it would make sense for him to create his own daughter to continue his legacy (Remember when that guy created a better robot in Blade Runner(been a while since I saw it though)).   
       I suppose the only thing that doesn't make sense with that is the opening, why was she in the statis pods if she was a robot   

5. Post #1325
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,289 Posts
    Most likely won't happen as Scott has said that the theatrical version is his directors cut.

6. Post #1326
    June 2007
    7,037 Posts
       Also when prometheus crashes into the alien ship, the alien ship is like completely in one piece. What?
    And what about all that stuff in the chamber, like the xenomorph statue. It wasn't until later that I realised, isn't the Xeno at the end the "original" one? Where did all the eggs and stuff come from in Alien as they're all vases here? (I'm probably wrong on this point though)
    I dunno a lot of stuff seems silly here, like whats with the pointy head? Having said this I definitely want to see a sequel. 

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #1327
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    11,474 Posts
    So, from my understanding, Prometheus is a huge disappointment?

Should I wait and rent or see it when it comes out for me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #1328
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,078 Posts
       Also the bit where shaw starts crying because she can't have kids felt so out of place and random,   
    Yeah it was a really forced plot point.

and why did holloway suddenly become drunk 24/7.   
    Because he was a badly written character.

Edited:

I'm entirely convinced that the cut out a lot of footage to make the runtime smaller, because some scenes really just don't connect. I expect like a 3 hour long directors cut for the DVD.
    We were joking after we saw it that Ridley would release a directors cut and then a final cut.

Edited:

I posted this in the 'rate the last movie you watched' thread but it would be nice if someone explained:
       Why is it that the cabin that is ejected from Prometheus just before it explodes is never found in Alien, neither are any of the crew's bodies.   

healthpoint said it was because    it isn't the same planet as in Alien(s)    but that doesn't explain how    the 'Alien' at the end of the movie got to the other planet.   

9. Post #1329
    June 2007
    7,037 Posts
    This is why a sequel is needed, because now it just makes no sense in terms of Alien

Also the Xenomorph technically originated from Holloways genitals which makes the other movies seem a bit weird. Also why did they all just suddenly have sex, they're like on the cusp of the greatest find ever in human history and they just take 12 hours off to fuck   

10. Post #1330
    March 2007
    5,020 Posts

healthpoint said it was because    it isn't the same planet as in Alien(s)    but that doesn't explain how    the 'Alien' at the end of the movie got to the other planet.   
       I don't really get what you mean by the Alien at the end getting to the other planet       What other planet? LV-426, the one from Alien and Aliens? And what makes you think he went there anyways?   

11. Post #1331
    December 2009
    4,840 Posts
       the 'Alien' at the end of the movie got to the other planet.   
       This planet was called LV-223 the one from Alien is LV-426, whos to say there is only one Xenomorph? There is a Xenomorph carved into the rock so the one at the end obviously isn't the first and is some sort of bio-weapon.   

Am I the only one who wasn't bugged by all the questions left open? I mean did Alien answer anything? where the aliens came from? what the dead space jockey was? because im sure as hell it didn't. The only thing I found disappointing was that the Space Jockeys turned out to be humans in suits, I liked them as weird Elephant aliens.   

Edited:

Was reading through some reviews and found a list that summed up everything that really bothered me.

I don't know, it seems like they left out all the good parts. Should we expect a recut?
    A lot of those questions are best left unanswered.
       About the Space Jockeys, all we know is they fucked up big time and tried to escape, its a weapons facility and they obviously let something out which killed off a lot of their people, hence the piles of dead bodies.
    The Engineer part killing everyone in the room, I dont really get too be honest.
    The Biologist was clearly just stupid.
    David was probably on company orders, I mean this is the same company that risked the entire crew of Ripleys ship, so they could bring back the Xenomorph.
    The Xenomorph is probably some sort of earlier kind of the evolutionary scale, it lacked its tail amount many other differences.

The one that really confused me was what was the point in the introduction of the Jockey killing himself with the black gunk? 

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #1332
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,306 Posts
       The one that really confused me was what was the point in the introduction of the Jockey killing himself with the black gunk?   
       He sacrificed himself so his DNA could spread life on earth.   

13. Post #1333
    December 2009
    4,840 Posts
       He sacrificed himself so his DNA could spread life on earth.   
       Ahhhhhh I thought it was something weird like that, thanks for clearing that up.   

14. Post #1334
    June 2007
    7,037 Posts

I thought that was him like "Sacrificing" himself, which introduced his DNA to the earth, thereby creating humans.   
    FUCKIONG niElS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #1335
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,078 Posts
       This planet was called LV-223 the one from Alien is LV-426, whos to say there is only one Xenomorph? There is a Xenomorph carved into the rock so the one at the end obviously isn't the first and is some sort of bio-weapon.   
       So then there was absolutely no point of showing the xenomorph at the end.   

16. Post #1336
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,306 Posts
       also the medpod thingy was calibrated to men because vickers was a roBOT.   
       Remember she banged Janek?   

17. Post #1337
    June 2007
    7,037 Posts
       Remember she banged Janek?   
       For all we know its like a fleshlight down there.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #1338
    July 2005
    6,306 Posts
       Why were the engineers much smaller than the space jockey in alien?
    - It's not, look closer at the jockey, they are pretty much the same size.
    - The alien was loose?
    - Maybe the atmosphere? Pressure?
    Why did the engineer decide to go crazy and kill the entire crew after being in cryostasis for over 2000 years?
    - The engineers wanted to kill all humans, that's why they created the weapon.
    - It was a mural of their weapon.
    - Her father.
    How did they conveniently forget there was a 1 tonne giant squid living in Vickers' quarters for a considerable period of time?
    - Maybe they were busy with other things?
    Why did the alien at the end look almost nothing like any xenomorph ever seen before?
    - Prometheus takes place in 2089, Alien takes place in 2179. 90 years of rapid evolution.
    Why was there a geolgist on board who didnt show any interest in any rocks, or any form of science the whole time he was there?
    - He's the grunt.
    Why did David infect holloway with the alien DNA? what was the point? Why would Weyland give the order to infect Holloway and risk the entire crew?
    - "The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts." 

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #1339
    Beverage Bandit
    November 2005
    19,204 Posts
    Saw this yesterday.

I thought it was good, but ye, as other people have pointed out, it sported way too much stupidity.

How no one ran after Shaw as she went to make an incision, and the part where they comically run away from the rolling spacecraft, were among the dumbest moments, I think. Those, and when that scientist guy tried petting the pretty fierce-looking snake.

Speaking of that dumbo, how come he didn't attack the crew later on? That other guy did, yet he never had a snake down his throat. 

As for performances, I really enjoyed Michael Fassbender. I'm not sure what the film would have been without him. I'm not liking Noomi Rapace one bit though..

Edited:

David was probably on company orders, I mean this is the same company that risked the entire crew of Ripleys ship, so they could bring back the Xenomorph.   
    then how come he told her about it??

20. Post #1340
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,078 Posts
       Speaking of that dumbo, how come he didn't attack the crew later on? That other guy did, yet he never had a snake down his throat.   
    That part was just stupid in general so it doesn't matter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #1341
    joh
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    712 Posts
    I really liked this personally. I don't think you were meant to go into this one expecting loads of answers to Alien - this was more a movie on it's own. I really enjoyed it.

Also in response to unanswered questions:

Wikipedia posted:
    During the March 17, 2012, WonderCon, Scott stated that the film leaves some questions unanswered, and that these could be answered in a sequel, saying "If we're lucky, there'll be a second part. It does leave you with some nice open questions." Asked if a sequel would be a direct prequel to Alien, Lindelof said "if we’re fortunate enough to do a sequel... it will tangentialize [sic] even further away from the original Alien."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #1342
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,289 Posts
    Speaking of that dumbo, how come he didn't attack the crew later on? That other guy did, yet he never had a snake down his throat.[/sp]
       Milburn was orally raped by the snake and killed from inside (presumably), Fifield was just exposed to the black goo.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #1343
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    1,912 Posts
    Well this movie really    sucked and made no sense   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11 (list)

24. Post #1344
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,289 Posts
    Was anyone else annoyed with the soundtrack playing ALL THE TIME? There were barely any quiet moments. Always "BRRRRRRRRRRRRDRRRRRRR".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #1345
    June 2007
    7,037 Posts
    It was also too loud (at least in the screen I was in it felt too loud)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #1346
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,078 Posts
    I did not notice either of those things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

27. Post #1347
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,672 Posts
    Reading this thread is like browsing through the Secure Contain Protect wiki.

With that being said, it seems like the movie was pretty sub-par, from what I've read you guys saying.

Do you guys think it's worth the $10 / ticket for me to go watch it in the theaters, or should I just wait until it becomes available for rent in a year or so?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #1348
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,078 Posts
    Yeah it's definitely worth seeing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #1349
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,289 Posts
    Definitely go and watch it, but if you were having high expectations then it's not going to hold up.

30. Post #1350
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,672 Posts
    Will the fact that I have made it a creed of mine (one I held up, for that matter) to watch nothing about Prometheus beyond the very first teaser?

I saw that people have been saying that the trailers really did explain the entire movie (which is exactly the reason I don't watch trailers...), so I'm wondering if even the very first teaser gave away too much.

31. Post #1351
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,644 Posts
       At the end when they're running away from the big crashing ship, why not just run to the fuCKING SIDE   
       That happens in real life believe it or not. People try to run in the exact opposite direction to a potential threat instead of being logical and finding a safer solution. It's why it's so easy to herd animals like sheep - they try to maximise the distance between themselves and whatever's herding them (which makes sense in terms of something that has control over itself and can direct itself towards you), but even when the thing in question is like... a falling tree, or a falling building (or a crashing spaceship) that same kind of mentality kicks in and you try to maximise the distance between yourself and the threat by running AWAY from it (instead of to the side).   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 2 (list)

32. Post #1352
    March 2012
    1,701 Posts
    Well this movie really    sucked and made no sense   
       L O S T   

Say no more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

33. Post #1353
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    592 Posts
    Me and my friend went to a midnight screening last night at the BFI Imax and it was pretty damn awesome, really enjoyed it. Didn't really notice many of these problems people have been mentioning, like I thought Noomi Rapace's performance was fine (although obviously not amazing).
    Before the movie, we also watched Alien and Aliens before seeing Prometheus and it made things a little clearer (and made me realise how bad Aliens is... seriously it's like watching a fucking cartoon), although there are still some conclusions that require a little jumping to.
       Why were the engineers much smaller than the space jockey in alien?
    They were actually about the same size, as mentioned.

Presumably an alien got out or people started getting infected with the black gunky stuff. They mentioned when they found those piles of bodies that stuff had been exploding out of them, as a chestburster does, and the black gunk stuff appeared to basically turn things into facehuggers/crazy people.

They mentioned 'new cell growth' on the top of the head, probably similar to the black gunk, which was the entire reason for resurrecting it. This is probably what caused the engineers to run in the holograms too.
    That is exactly why Shaw left at the end. To find out why the engineers wanted to destroy their creation.

What was the green gem we were shown in the chamber but it was never spoken of again?
    In the original Alien, the eggs are encountered in a cargo hold within the ship beneath the control room, all neatly laid out and covered by a laser trip-wire thing. Obviously this isn't a creation of the Xenomorphs, so it would be safe to assume that the Xenos are some kind of weapon. It is often stated that the Xenomorphs are 'perfect' when it comes to being a predator, so it's not much of a leap to assume that they could have been designed by engineers. This also could explain why the Xeno at the end of Prometheus is different, but still similar to the original. We already know that the engineers liked to use their own DNA when it came to creating life, why not the same with the Xenomorphs?
    The green gem is obviously Xeno related but I don't think we can know anything about it for sure.

Why was the star map on earth showing the location of a random moon that was home to one of the many random engineer testing sites/military base - not actually their home world?
    No idea, maybe they were just wary about giving humans their home address. Or maybe it wasn't an 'invitation' at all, just saying 'this is where we come from' because they never expected the humans to get there. Open to all sorts of speculation.

For Weyland I expect.

It was only small when it was cut out of Shaw, and she decontaminated the room, probably assuming it was dead. No one had really been in there since the operation.

You've got to have an angry Redshirt! Fifield and the biologist seemed to be a bit like stock characters that were needed as bait.

Why did the scientist pet a snake 3 times which was clearly an aggressive dangerous alien?
    Stupid biologist, but also probably expected his visor to protect him.

Curiosity? Weyland was looking for eternal life as soon as possible, wouldn't surprise me if he had instructed David to investigate anything that could be potentially achieve that. It's open to speculation though. 

Alternatively we can wait for a sequel and inevitably have more questions answered.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1354
    March 2007
    5,020 Posts
    Before the movie, we also watched Alien and Aliens before seeing Prometheus and it made things a little clearer (and made me realise how bad Aliens is... seriously it's like watching a fucking cartoon), although there are still some conclusions that require a little jumping to.
    Oh no you didn't!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 15Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #1355
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,760 Posts

The med pod "only worked with men" was for her dad , not her. Thought that was a fairly large hint that he was on board. Also , David clearly understood what the black goo was doing ; he managed to totally decipher the contents of the tomb as well as speaking to the engineer. He knew what was going on.    

36. Post #1356
    July 2008
    596 Posts
    Everyone moaning about only makes me want to watch it more
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #1357
    Oh no you didn't!
    nope sorry, aliens sucks

Anyways I'm worried now, I've been pretty hype for Prometheus, but I guess it's not all that great? I've been avoiding trailers and I didn't click any of the spoilers in this thread, so I don't really have much of an idea what to expect. I've been planning to go to the midnight showing when it releases this Friday in the US, but if it's not that great, I think I'd rather sleep...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

38. Post #1358
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    1,432 Posts
    nope sorry, aliens sucks

Anyways I'm worried now, I've been pretty hype for Prometheus, but I guess it's not all that great? I've been avoiding trailers and I didn't click any of the spoilers in this thread, so I don't really have much of an idea what to expect. I've been planning to go to the midnight showing when it releases this Friday in the US, but if it's not that great, I think I'd rather sleep...
    Worth a watch if you're interested, but don't expect it to be as good as Alien.

39. Post #1359
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    692 Posts
    Yeah, I liked it.

It was however, totally and utterly baffling on every level imaginable. I might instigate a drinking game when it comes out on DVD, where you drink every time a very poor decision is made by any one of the characters.

Smashed within 15 minutes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #1360
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,289 Posts
    There's so many things they could have changed easily to make the character less stupid. For example,    instead of Millburn reaching out his arm to the vagina thing he could have tried to poke it with something else.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)