1. Post #441
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    It is, lol.
    What resolution are you running SFM at? I don't mean which resolution you render at, but how big the window is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Denmark Show Events

2. Post #442
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,041 Posts
    Hey, do you guys want me to host the wiki on my server? It would be ad-free and you could install any plugin you wish
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Spain Show Events

3. Post #443
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,368 Posts
    I wish i could use that sexy dynamic smoke
    You know, in Meet the Spy (When he disguises) and the Left 4 Dead 2 trailer (Bridge destruction)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Spain Show Events

4. Post #444
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,379 Posts
    We could always use particle emitters with a shitload of particles, wouldn't matter how laggy it is since we're rendering the video instead of doing it in realtime.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

5. Post #445
    July 2009
    240 Posts
    Speaking of particles, has anybody managed to animate them? Or create from scratch?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Finland Show Events

6. Post #446
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    We could always use particle emitters with a shitload of particles, wouldn't matter how laggy it is since we're rendering the video instead of doing it in realtime.
    It will crash
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Denmark Show Events

7. Post #447
    I watched a stream of a video game so that means I'm an authority on it!
    Dennab
    May 2007
    7,377 Posts
    Speaking of particles, has anybody managed to animate them? Or create from scratch?
    Yes, im not meaning to brag, but im very skilled in the particle editing for tf2, i have made many particle effects for myself, tons of medic beams. I only released a few things because of 2 reasons.

1. My motherboard battery clip is broken, so if my computer ever gets turned off, the entire computer bios goes back to the day this was built, and tricks windows into thinking it is locked and i cannot log in, thus making myself have to reformat and loose everything.

2. FPSBanana removed all of mine because its not considered a "Skin" and considered a "Spirte" when no one even looks at the sprites page in fpsbanana because its broken and i didnt feel like wasting my time.

Here are my very first works, the only i released.
    (these were made the first 2 days of teaching myself it)
    No [Media] tags because thats a lot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz2KOlE_Wn8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO46b0ANvWY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiHmuM3RKq8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3FWJ01FctA

I am going to start making them again if someone can tell me a much better uploading site for tf2 content, other than fpsbanana.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

8. Post #448
    March 2009
    641 Posts
    Dynamic lightning is awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #449
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,379 Posts
    Solidsnail, your lights either don't cast shadows or just cast very weird shadows :x
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #450
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    Don't take all the credit. You woudn't have even released the info on how to get it if I didn't pester you
    that's why i said unintentional, lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

11. Post #451
    Hi
    February 2010
    8,433 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

12. Post #452
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,379 Posts
    i'll be uploading a couple more videos today, showing off the results of further sfm experimentation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

13. Post #453
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    327 Posts
    Going to play around with this, hopefully I can get it working and all.

Will be using the wiki, as well as this thread for info - and good work to everybody on working it all out! :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Australia Show Events

14. Post #454
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,379 Posts
    I just finished a video with very basic global illumination due to clever use of flashlights and their settings. putting together and uploading now

15. Post #455
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Nice. It's rendered already and just needs to be uploaded, right?

By the way, I'm still experimenting with the DME Element editor. I've got stuff like changing the maximum focal distance for animation and reversing the direction of the fov slider, to give a couple examples. I'm also testing a list of expression commands and generally messing around with the editor to, say, influence one prop's animations with another's. Eg. to easily attach hats to characters' head bone.

Speaking of which, has anyone added hats without having to do a lot of manual animation? Seems like a lot of effort.

16. Post #456
    Hi
    February 2010
    8,433 Posts
    I can't figure out how to set spawnpoints in SFM.

Like, if i want to have a scout and a heavy in the shot, i first spawn where my camera is and then i spawn at my own spawn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Sweden Show Events

17. Post #457
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    I can't figure out how to set spawnpoints in SFM.

Like, if i want to have a scout and a heavy in the shot, i first spawn where my camera is and then i spawn at my own spawn.
    "click player to camera" or something along the lines of that, Then put the cam where you want to spawn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #458
    July 2009
    240 Posts
    By the way, I'm still experimenting with the DME Element editor. I've got stuff like changing the maximum focal distance for animation and reversing the direction of the fov slider, to give a couple examples. I'm also testing a list of expression commands and generally messing around with the editor to, say, influence one prop's animations with another's. Eg. to easily attach hats to characters' head bone.
    You are this thread's new god.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Finland Show Events

19. Post #459
    Hi
    February 2010
    8,433 Posts
    Thanks. But if i want to change class without killing myself?.

I tried "Changeclass scout" in console but nothing happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Sweden Show Events

20. Post #460
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    change_class scout
    mp_forcerespawnallplayers

Edited:

Change team is broken though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #461
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    To clarify about the DME stuff: I don't have hats working yet (got 3 different methods to test when I get home!) but adjusting the range of camera animation is pretty simple. Just use the DME Editor to navigate to:

Code:
    clipBin/sequence/subClipTrackGroup/tracks/Film/children/shot/animationSets/camera1/operators
    Some things to note:
    [list][*]sequence, shot, subClipTrackGroup, and camera1 might differ if you made multiple cameras or used non-default options. Just search for "operators" or your camera name to save time.[*]There are sub-elements for each value you can animate. Open up the relevant one and edit the hi and lo values.[*]Be aware that this rescales what you've already animated, too - if you double the maximum value then all the values you've animated thus far will also double. It seems that the actual animation is stored as values from 0.0 to 1.0, not as the effective values.[/list]
    You'll note that there's an expression being evaluated as well. I've looked through vmt.dll and think I've found a lot of the valid function names. A lot are self explanatory, like lerp and cos, but a few will need further experimentation (eg. noise, sign, clerp). Right now I've got a list of 34, which I'll be testing to figure out the arguments for once I get back to my main computer (along with confirming the easy ones' effects).

Edit: The hi low names are off the top of my head - really should get SFM on my laptop The path for the operators, though, I had written down.
    Edit2:In actuality it's lo, not low.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

22. Post #462
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,379 Posts
    Metroid, have I mentioned that I want to have gay sex with you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #463
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,927 Posts
    What does "range of camera animation" mean?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Thailand Show Events

24. Post #464
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    Good discovery, can't wait to see it in action! We're seriously making huge progress with this thing and i'm glad i decided to come back

25. Post #465
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Metroid, have I mentioned that I want to have gay sex with you?
    Nope.

What does "range of camera animation" mean?
    By default, it won't let you exceed 200 if you try animating the focal point. Of course, that's useless for anything but indoor shots, so changing the hi value lets you set the maximum to whatever you want. Eg. 2000 or more.

By the way, here come all the functions I know, for use in the expr field. These were pulled out of vmt.dll as text strings, then tested to confirm their functionality and bugs. Italicized means it's a note, eg. a C++ representation.

General Number-Work:
    [list][*]round( val ) - Rounds to the nearest whole number ((val-val%1>=0.5) ? val%1+1 : val%1)[*]ceiling( val ) - Rounds up[*]floor( val ) - Rounds down[*]sqrt( val ) - Returns the square root of the number[*]sqr( val ) - Squares the number (val*val)[*]abs( val ) - Absolute function. Makes the number positive ((val>0) ? val : -val)[*]pow( val, power ) - Raises val to a power[*]exp( power ) - Raises e to a power[/list]Trigonometry:
    [list][*]rtod( val ) - Converts value from radians to degrees[*]dtor( val ) - Converts value from degrees to radians[*]sin, cos, tan( val ) - They all do what they say on the tin. Value must be in radians[*]asin, acos( val ) - Take arcsine / arccosine of value[*]atan2( y, x ) - Returns angle (in radians) from positive x axis to vector (x, y)[/list]Logic:
    [list][*]Note: Unless otherwise stated, logic functions return 1 or 0 (true or false)[*]sign( val ) - Returns the sign of the number (1 or -1). 0 is considered positive ((val>=0) ? 1 : -1)[*]max( val, val2 ) - Returns the larger of the two numbers ((val>val2) ? val : val2)[*]min( val, val2 ) - Returns the smaller of the two numbers[*]inrange( val, lo, hi ) - Returns 1 if value is larger than/equal to lo and smaller than/equal to hi. Note that lo should be smaller than hi (val<hi && val>lo)[/list]Scaling:
    [list][*]lerp( val, lo, hi ) - Linearly interpolates a value from 0-1 to lo-hi. Note that it accepts any value, so -1 will return -hi (lo+val*(hi-lo))[*]clerp( val, lo, hi ) - Clamps val from 0-1 before linearly interpolating (lerp(clamp(val,0,1),lo,hi))[*]ramp( val, lo, hi ) - Returns the "position" between lo and hi that val is, scaled to 0-1. Note that if val is not within the range you may get #INF as a result ((val-lo)/(hi-lo))[*]cramp( val, lo, hi ) - Clamps val from lo-hi before determining its "position" using ramp (ramp(clamp(val,lo,hi),lo,hi))[*]clamp (val, lo, hi) - Clamps the value to the range lo-hi. Note that lo should be smaller than hi ((val>hi) ? hi : ((val<min) ? min : val))[*]rescale( val, lo, hi, newlo, newhi ) - Scales a value from one range to another. Note that order is very important ((val-lo)/(hi-lo)*(newhi-newlo)+newlo)[*]crescale( val, lo, hi, newlo, newhi ) - Clamps the value before rescaling it (rescale(clamp(val,lo,hi),lo,hi,newlo,newhi))[/list]Unknown:
    [list][*]elerp( val, lo, hi ) - I'd expect this to be exponential interpolation, but I've seen no difference from lerp within val range 0-1 and it's gone weird outside of that. lo and hi cannot be 0 (lo*pow(hi/lo,val))[/list]Not Tested:
    [list][*]noise[*]modf[*]ceil[*]atan[*]exp10[*]log10[/list]
    As for what all this does: You can manipulate the input from the animation panel a bit before actually applying it. Eg. make a digital-zoom effect where the camera steps up instantaneously that can still be animated while playing, or make zoom change slower the higher it is. Those are a couple examples off the top of my head, but there's sure to be plenty more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #466
    A self proclaimed lyrically philosophical physicist
    October 2008
    1,142 Posts
    Hmmm... I have a problem.... Why are my wires in wireframe?

Not sure if this was answered, if it was rate me late.

Try deleting a folder called cable in the team fortress directory that you're using for SFM. Should be like this ...\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials\cable

27. Post #467
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    By default, it won't let you exceed 200 if you try animating the focal point. Of course, that's useless for anything but indoor shots, so changing the hi value lets you set the maximum to whatever you want. Eg. 2000 or more.
    Alright, i'm gonna behave myself and not post this in all caps and bolded, but jesus fucking christ Metroid, you're amazing!!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #468
    YOU AIN'T NEVER HAD A FRIEND LIKE ME
    August 2006
    10,217 Posts

Why does every map in TF2 look like that, I also can't change the resolution. Anyone know what to do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #469
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,970 Posts

Why does every map in TF2 look like that, I also can't change the resolution. Anyone know what to do?
    If you're running any commands in the launch parameters, remove them as any of them that control graphics such as -dxlevel all reset your graphics options.

As for the shadow, I have no fucking clue.

30. Post #470
    August 2006
    10,217 Posts
    If you're running any commands in the launch parameters, remove them as any of them that control graphics such as -dxlevel all reset your graphics options.

As for the shadow, I have no fucking clue.
    Decided to do a fresh reinstall.

31. Post #471
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,970 Posts
    Decided to do a fresh reinstall.
    Any luck?

32. Post #472
    August 2006
    10,217 Posts
    Any luck?
    No. Same shadow problem but I can now change resolution. Although some of the resolutions seem pretty fucked up. One of them is 32x234848218848.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #473
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,970 Posts
    No. Same shadow problem but I can now change resolution. Although some of the resolutions seem pretty fucked up. One of them is 32x234848218848.
    Dare you to take a screenshot of that.

34. Post #474
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,379 Posts
    Ahahahahaha, oh god. If you're not already my friend on steam, add me, I can probably help you.

Edited:

Also I should note, I'm almost done the intro for engie P.I.

35. Post #475
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,519 Posts
    incoming intro

36. Post #476
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,379 Posts

WIP. A little under halfway done.

Edited:

No comments?

Edited:

lol global illumination
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #477
    December 2009
    132 Posts

Edited:

No comments?

Edited:

lol global illumination
    Global illumination, im a bit lost on what you did exactly...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #478
    August 2008
    1,067 Posts

Edited:

No comments?

Edited:

lol global illumination
    Is it really global illumination or is it more of just a flashlight with a high blur amount?

39. Post #479
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,379 Posts
    Yeah, clever use of the flashlight with a high blur amount

40. Post #480
    October 2009
    307 Posts

Made this with SFM. Mostly as a test.
    :P Funny, its like after he explodes Pyro just thinks, 'Oh well, back to life' and walks away XD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Australia Show Events