1. Post #561
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    Metroid did something with that, but it seems the bones fucks up http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=481
    that was via the DME editor. i meant more like a full model replacement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events

2. Post #562
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    The issue with what I did was the skeleton setup. My guess is that the scout has extra bones for the dogtags and maybe the pack, making the bones not match up with the other class's models.

For getting L4D characters or custom models in we'd be replacing prior to recording, so that shouldn't be an issue. If the skeleton setup already matches then we're good to go - we just need to hex the model name. If they don't we could try decompiling the L4D or L4D2 models, to which we'd then be able to add the correct tf2 skeleton.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events

3. Post #563
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    The issue with what I did was the skeleton setup. My guess is that the scout has extra bones for the dogtags and maybe the pack, making the bones not match up with the other class's models.

For getting L4D characters or custom models in we'd be replacing prior to recording, so that shouldn't be an issue. If the skeleton setup already matches then we're good to go - we just need to hex the model name. If they don't we could try decompiling the L4D or L4D2 models, to which we'd then be able to add the correct tf2 skeleton.
    I'd like to see someone do something like this, as last time I tried to, i spent about 2 weeks with no progress.

4. Post #564
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    First attempt! I opened Bill's model, replaced the model name in the .mdl with player/soldier.mdl, copied it over, and got this:

The game complains of missing .vtx data. I renamed soldier.vtx and made duplicates soldier.dx90.vtx, soldier.dx80.vtx, and soldier.sw.vtx. This resulted in:

So, the model imports fine. I haven't bothered extracting textures yet, but the more pressing issue is that the animations are completely broken. This also means that the model doesn't even rotate. It looks like we'll have to recompile with the correct skeleton.

5. Post #565
    April 2009
    1,750 Posts
    Yes, I have done stuff replacing models in the VTX.

From L4D(1 or 2), Charger, Jockey and Spitter are the only ones who assign there bones to tf2 characters, everyone else t poses

6. Post #566
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    so, if someone rigs a Left 4 dead model to a TF2 skeleton, it might work

7. Post #567
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,381 Posts

recent posts inspired me to swap some models
    also i animated the bat out of the first part what is this tomfoolery
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #568
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    The scout looks like a retard hahaha, I'm gonna dig something with SFM during the day.

9. Post #569
    December 2009
    47 Posts
    hmmm rate me if im late but have you guys realized that if you press shift while your cursor is over your timeline then it shifts to the recording mode of the animation set editor and pressing tab will bring up a preview cursor so as you move you mouse horizontally across the timeline it will give a preview of it in the engine viewport
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete India Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

10. Post #570
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    872 Posts
    I'm really having a problem with this, it's probably because i'm new to this, could someone help me.
    I right click the time line and "Set new camera", but the screen is still black.
    I click so it is work camera, still black.
    Help me please D:

11. Post #571
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    I'm really having a problem with this, it's probably because i'm new to this, could someone help me.
    I right click the time line and "Set new camera", but the screen is still black.
    I click so it is work camera, still black.
    Help me please D:
    Work camera's outside the map. Click and drag on view to spin it around until you can see the map, then use WASD to fly over. Related post:

The work camera is still outside the map. Spin it around completely and you'll probably spot the map, which you can then fly to.

As far as adding new cameras, there's two ways. One is what you're trying - Set New Camera. This will add one at the position of the work camera. The second method is to perform a recording, but only check the stuff for recording camera info (and not the FOV or any world info/sounds). Then add an animation set and smooth the result to get a nice moving camera. See the video tutorial on the wiki for more info on this.

12. Post #572
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    872 Posts
    Work camera's outside the map. Click and drag on view to spin it around until you can see the map, then use WASD to fly over. Related post:
    I've tried this, but nothing happens :(

13. Post #573
    May 2010
    485 Posts
    I'm not really sure how this works.

If I want a movie with 3 camera angles in it (0:00-0:30 has one, 0:31-1:00 has one and 1:01-1:31 has one), do I just Rightclick on the specific time on the timeline and click "Create new Camera" and when rendering, that camera i selected automatically at that time?

14. Post #574
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    You can only have one camera per clip, so you have to split the clip. Off the top of my head, seek the point where you want to change angles and press K. Then use Set New Camera on the parts.

15. Post #575
    July 2009
    240 Posts
    When splitting clips take into account that it duplicates the shots, so you might end up with a very large file size.

My "We need a dispenser right here." -project's dmx file was 200 MB big.

16. Post #576
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    I made this little thing
    Contains custom animations, broken lip-syncing, dynamic lighting, animated camera, AND 2 CUSTOM TEXTURES OMG!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 13Optimistic Optimistic x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #577
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,943 Posts
    I made this little thing
    View YouTUBE video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PcC1BrkBozM

Contains custom animations, broken lip-syncing, dynamic lighting, animated camera, AND 2 CUSTOM TEXTURES OMG!!!
    Win.
    Fucking WIN.

18. Post #578
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    Win.
    Fucking WIN.
    yaaaay

And what would be a good website to upload a 10mb 8000/4500 PNG to?

19. Post #579
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Mediafire?

Edit: Watched the video. That was great! More little "Meet the" shorts would be great, especially silly ones like that.

20. Post #580
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    4,193 Posts
    The Demo's face... What is with it...

21. Post #581
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    Mediafire?

Edit: Watched the video. That was great! More little "Meet the" shorts would be great, especially silly ones like that.
    Thanks Metroid.
    I've been thinking about that too. If it gets popular enough or just if people like it i'll probably make some more when i get time and an idea.

Here's the huge poster in the end http://www.mediafire.com/?nkymbzhm5n2
    It took 8 hours and 10 minutes to render this, i'm not kidding.

Edited:

The Demo's face... What is with it...
    I tried making it somewhat creepy.
    Another thing though is, that his lip-syncing is broken. His lips are not moving.

22. Post #582
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    Ok, i might try this today unless anybody thinks it wouldn't work, but what if you just renamed the Left 4 dead models' bones to be the same as a TF2 character's bones?

23. Post #583
    December 2009
    1,627 Posts
    TheDKer, that was awesome! How long did it take to make it?

There is one more thing tho...i just made a movie and i tried to export it. When i click EXPORT, the window pops-up, i set my settings and when i click export again, nothing happens. Window just closes and nothing happens :/

24. Post #584
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,400 Posts
    Started w/ Source Filmmaker today. Any tips and links to a newbie?

25. Post #585
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,537 Posts
    Started w/ Source Filmmaker today. Any tips and links to a newbie?
    Try my video tutorials:

26. Post #586
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts

There is one more thing tho...i just made a movie and i tried to export it. When i click EXPORT, the window pops-up, i set my settings and when i click export again, nothing happens. Window just closes and nothing happens :/
    I can see the first save i've made was the second of May. I didn't really spend that much time on it though.
    I didn't work on it all the time, and what i spend most time on was learning new things about the dynamic lighting, and how i could move them around with the DME editor and such. Alot of the time was also spent rendering the scenes. They all use 32x motion blur and 32x DoF. With the 4 lights i had, my game ran at about 20-30 FPS, so it took took even longer.

Edited:

I heard some people said you should enable sv_cheats or something.
    I had the same problem once though, and the way i fixed it was, to drag the blue thing in the time-line to the beginning of the sequence.

27. Post #587
    May 2010
    485 Posts
    You can only have one camera per clip, so you have to split the clip. Off the top of my head, seek the point where you want to change angles and press K. Then use Set New Camera on the parts.
    I'll try this. Thanks a bunch.

28. Post #588
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    4,193 Posts
    You should email Gabe the dancin' Demo DKer.

29. Post #589
    May 2010
    485 Posts
    By the way, sometimes the map never loads. I can wait forever, but nothing ever happens. How do I solve that?

30. Post #590
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    You should email Gabe the dancin' Demo DKer.
    He'll just murder me for using SFM
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #591
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    Is it possible to get T-posed character models into the SFM and animate them by hand in it?

32. Post #592
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,381 Posts
    Is it possible to get T-posed character models into the SFM and animate them by hand in it?
    ent_remove_all tf_weapon_whateveryourholdingatthetime while recording, t-poses you.

33. Post #593
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    4,193 Posts
    He'll just murder me for using SFM
    You should make a video in SFM about you emailing him and him murdering you for using SFM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #594
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,537 Posts
    ent_remove_all tf_weapon_whateveryourholdingatthetime while recording, t-poses you.
    Without recording a track, you can create a new Animation Set, and choose the model you want.

35. Post #595
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,400 Posts
    So SFM has Faceposer? I have Vista, do I have to manually do all that shit like I have to do on Source SDK's Faceposer?

36. Post #596
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,537 Posts
    So SFM has Faceposer? I have Vista, do I have to manually do all that shit like I have to do on Source SDK's Faceposer?
    It's not like Faceposer. You have to manually posistion the mouth movements at different points in time.

Edited:

Bit of an idea for getting better ambient lighting in the SFM:

Replace the flashlight texture with a texture that won't focus the light as much (maybe a gradient, or even just a solid white texture)

I've tried, but I've yet to find the location of the flashlight001 texture. Anyone know its whereabouts or have any input?

37. Post #597
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    Without recording a track, you can create a new Animation Set, and choose the model you want.

It worked perfectly, thank you. Here is the image of a posed soldier model - sitting.

38. Post #598
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,381 Posts
    Panda, it's in Team Fortress 2/hl2/materials/effects, not Team Fortress 2/tf/materials/effects
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #599
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    Can't wait to see how panda's flashlight idea pans out =P (lol camera joke). Any more progress on model replacement within SFM that I asked about earlier?

EDIT:
    http://www.valvesoftware.com/publica...rtInSource.pdf
    There's a cool section about stuff relating to meet the heavy if you guys are interested. Page 11+12, could help with your dynamic lighting ideas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #600
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    Can't wait to see how panda's flashlight idea pans out =P (lol camera joke). Any more progress on model replacement within SFM that I asked about earlier?

EDIT:
    http://www.valvesoftware.com/publica...rtInSource.pdf
    There's a cool section about stuff relating to meet the heavy if you guys are interested. Page 11+12, could help with your dynamic lighting ideas.

That was a nice read.