1. Post #601
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    That was a nice read.
    I think most of this stuff is covered in the Dev commentary, but it's always nice to see it a little more structured and on paper.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events

2. Post #602
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,537 Posts
    Panda, it's in Team Fortress 2/hl2/materials/effects, not Team Fortress 2/tf/materials/effects
    Ah thank you.

Edited:

I think most of this stuff is covered in the Dev commentary, but it's always nice to see it a little more structured and on paper.
    I got bored one night and read through every single on of Valve's publishings. I learned quite a bit and I found it all very interesting :)

Edited:

Hmm. I tried replacing the flashlight texture with a solid white one, but I'm not sure if I actually accomplished anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events

3. Post #603
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,381 Posts
    It has to be the exact same size and settings as the original material, and a 1px thick black line around the top and left edges to prevent the ugly looping.

Edited:

gotchya
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #604
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,537 Posts
    Ah. I was wondering if there was a fix for the overlapping :D

5. Post #605
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    10,613 Posts
    I downloaded the TF2 beta on bit torrent, how can I get on SFM?

(User was banned for this post ("Warez" - Jimbomcb))

6. Post #606
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,537 Posts
    I downloaded the TF2 beta on bit torrent, how can I get on SFM?
    Read the Wiki in the OP.

7. Post #607
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,381 Posts
    You'd better snip that before jim sees it, you're basically admitting that you pirated it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #608
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    10,613 Posts
    It's legal in Canada to download.

Edited:

Wait will that still count as Warez?

Edited:

It appears I'm not perma'd yet.

I guess it doesn't count as warez.

9. Post #609
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,537 Posts
    Okay, I finally got around to converting the textures and adding all the new maps. It went without a hitch, for the most part.

My water texture is borked. Does anyone know how to fix it?

10. Post #610
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    Okay, I finally got around to converting the textures and adding all the new maps. It went without a hitch, for the most part.

My water texture is borked. Does anyone know how to fix it?
    Did you try reloading all materials?

11. Post #611
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,537 Posts
    Did you try reloading all materials?
    I forgot to use the cubemap converter.

12. Post #612
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,381 Posts

what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

13. Post #613
    May 2010
    485 Posts
    It's legal in Canada to download.

Edited:

Wait will that still count as Warez?

Edited:

It appears I'm not perma'd yet.

I guess it doesn't count as warez.
    It counts. you said you pirated it. Jim hasn't seen it yet, though. And no matter what laws are in Canade, it still counts as wares on the site.

Als you don't get perma'd, just banned. But snip it anyways.

14. Post #614
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    Yeah, I was banned because someone else posted a link to a torrent on the first SFM thread I made. It was for like 5-7 days, I don't even remember.

15. Post #615
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    To you guys discussing about the flashlights. All the flashlight textures in my Dancin Demoman video were custom made. To get the rainbow to look nice i used this texture to get the colors to blend right. It's actually just a red, green and blue one and you can see how nice the fade into eachother:
    . (You can see some yellow, but that's just the flashlights blending, which is pretty cool)
    The light shining from above down on the surface to light it up was just a normal square with no real texture.

16. Post #616
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    872 Posts
    Whenever I try to launch SFM, I get this:
    Setup file 'gameinfo.txt' doesn't exist in subdirectory 'hl2'.
    Check you -game parameter or VCONFIG setting.

17. Post #617
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Whenever I try to launch SFM, I get this:
    Did you add:

SFM Wiki posted:
    -game tf -applaunch 440
    to your launch options? The wiki's fairly good for how to get it running.

18. Post #618
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    872 Posts
    Did you add:

to your launch options? The wiki's fairly good for how to get it running.
    I knew I forgot something, thanks :P

Edit:
    In other news: I still can't get the bloody cameras to work :(

19. Post #619
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,381 Posts
    Sorry guys, I won't be able to do ANYTHING for the next couple weeks. My 8800 GT has made a valiant effort to survive the last three years, but in its dying breath, it was slain by me leaving sfm open too long.

Please, say your respects for this great warrior of a graphics card.

Gonna be getting a new computer soon, after we finish moving.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #620
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,927 Posts
    RIP the 8800GT. Truly a card for the masses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Thailand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #621
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    this thread has taken off scince i stopped using sfm when i got bored

22. Post #622
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,231 Posts
    Guys, does anyone know how to replace models? For example, heavy's minigun with sniper's rifle (so that it moves with heavy, even if oddly)

23. Post #623
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    Guys, does anyone know how to replace models? For example, heavy's minigun with sniper's rifle (so that it moves with heavy, even if oddly)
    I think this has to do with a model's bones. You'd have to re-rig the bones of an existing model to compensate for the new weapon.

EDIT: just found an AMAZING read for people looking to mess with modeling/rigging/animating for Maya. I'm sure it could be applied to 3ds Max too, but it's intended for Maya.
    http://filmmakeriq.com/2009/04/606-maya-tutorials/

24. Post #624
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Now THAT is easily doable, as long as the weapons have similar bone setups. In the Dme editor search for the model name you wish to replace and you should eventually find a DmeGameModel with that name. Just change the modelName parameter to swap it out.

You may need to then adjust the transform's position to offset it, but assuming the weapons have the same bone count (which those two should) then it'd be fine.

I'd go into more detail about exactly where to look, but unfortunately I don't have SFM on my laptop so I can't check.

25. Post #625
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,231 Posts
    Now THAT is easily doable, as long as the weapons have similar bone setups. In the Dme editor search for the model name you wish to replace and you should eventually find a DmeGameModel with that name. Just change the modelName parameter to swap it out.

You may need to then adjust the transform's position to offset it, but assuming the weapons have the same bone count (which those two should) then it'd be fine.

I'd go into more detail about exactly where to look, but unfortunately I don't have SFM on my laptop so I can't check.
    I've tried renaming but failed, but I've been renaming tracks so it's no wonder. I'll try again, thanks.

Engineer PDA and Alyx have different bone setups though

26. Post #626
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    The Sniper replacement thing is very easy to do. I just did it without trouble, except making him hold it properly ofcourse.

27. Post #627
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    I know how to make models and textures and all this stuff, except animation, If I knew how to animate I would make something awesome in SFM, so far I have to stick with animating in SFM.

28. Post #628
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,381 Posts
    I can animate.

29. Post #629
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,745 Posts
    dynamic shadows are brilliant

I wish there was a way to get results like that with the stock Source Engine and Gmod

30. Post #630
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    I can animate.
    That's nice, and I can also make maps, check on my moddb profile.

http://www.moddb.com/members/indigosc

31. Post #631
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    I can animate.
    yeah, likewise. I just don't do it enough. =/

32. Post #632
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    -snip-

33. Post #633
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,381 Posts
    Why snip? I'd be more than happy to help you with the basics.

34. Post #634
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,231 Posts
    The Sniper replacement thing is very easy to do. I just did it without trouble, except making him hold it properly ofcourse.
    Minitutorial please?

After failing with my first idea yesterday I've decided to do something at least

Edited:

it's stupid and boring

Edited:

and DoF is still not working for me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #635
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Minitutorial please?
    Use the Dme Editor to navigate to clipBin/sequence/subClipTrackGroup/tracks/Film/children/shot/scene/children/take*/children, then go through its children and find the minigun or whatever. It's probably under player_YOURNAME/children/player_YOURNAME_World Models/MINIGUN MODEL NAME HERE. Then change its modelName property to whatever you want, including the "models/" prefix and the .mdl ending.

After failing with my first idea yesterday I've decided to do something at least

Edited:

it's stupid and boring

Edited:

and DoF is still not working for me
    I was expecting the car to explode and/or go flying into the camera man . Anyway, make sure you change the aperture settings of your camera to get DoF working. Just use the Dme Editor to search for aperture or for your camera name. Then up the value until you achieve the desired amount of blur.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #636
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    Use the Dme Editor to navigate to clipBin/sequence/subClipTrackGroup/tracks/Film/children/shot/scene/children/take*/children, then go through its children and find the minigun or whatever. It's probably under player_YOURNAME/children/player_YOURNAME_World Models/MINIGUN MODEL NAME HERE. Then change its modelName property to whatever you want, including the "models/" prefix and the .mdl ending.
    If that was too complicated here's a picture:(First spawn a Heavy ofcourse)

Was that even better?

I was expecting the car to explode and/or go flying into the camera man . Anyway, make sure you change the aperture settings of your camera to get DoF working. Just use the Dme Editor to search for aperture or for your camera name. Then up the value until you achieve the desired amount of blur.
    Even though that method is clearly the best because you can decide the amount of blur, an easier way is just to enter r_sfmfulcrumdof 1 into the console. Pandamobile told me that btw.

Edited:

It will end up like this:

And that's not my normal layout, it's just for this tut..

37. Post #637
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    Nice tutorial, We need to find a way, I have noticed that while recording the spawn doors tend not to open and you just walk through them, or they are invisible.

It does not only happen with doors, but with some props as well.

38. Post #638
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    That's because each recording makes a copy of the doors/props.

You have to delete the extra copies you don't want / force them open (in case of doors) with console commands.

Also, nice pictures DKer!

39. Post #639
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    That's because each recording makes a copy of the doors/props.

You have to delete the extra copies you don't want / force them open (in case of doors) with console commands.

Also, nice pictures DKer!
    Thanks, and you can also just delete them through the DME editor.

40. Post #640
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,381 Posts
    Donate 400 dollars so I can buy a new computer capable of running sfm please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)