1. Post #41
    April 2009
    1,749 Posts
    Everyone, I have just discovered a more fluid animation method.

Hear, we have 20 minutes of a t-posed Demo

animated into a hangover. The magic of hidden things!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member

October 2009
    10,583 Posts
    If someone will give me Robin's email I'll ask if they can make SFM legal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts
    how :o

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts

Tutorial. Now.

...please?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,922 Posts
    Croshi stop being so amazing it's blowing my mind
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Australia Show Events

6. Post #46
    February 2009
    684 Posts
    I wanted to make a SFM movie since the first thread but I can't even complie/finish/compress the final movie, it just go over 100% and never stops compiling

Any help?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    HOLY shit i was COMPLETELY fucking wrong

just did this a couple minutes ago

where doing it man

WHERE MAKING THIS HAPPEN!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2 (list)

8. Post #48
    I'll Go all tadpole on you
    June 2005
    1,170 Posts
    HOLY shit i was COMPLETELY fucking wrong

just did this a couple minutes ago

where doing it man

WHERE MAKING THIS HAPPEN!
    Well where is the fucking tutorial?
    How are WE, if WE don't know how?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    Well where is the fucking tutorial?
    How are WE, if WE don't know how?
    Remember how a long time ago, some guy posted how to re-add the flashlight? Well, "mp_flashlight 1", and "mat_supportflashlight 1". It breaks a lot of textures, and so far I've only gotten it to work on props. However, you can change its horizontal FOV, vertical FOV, intensity, colour, position, rotation, how blurry the shadows are, the bias, almost everything but the resolution of the shadowmap itself! You simply record yourself with the flashlight on, which is what I did. You can also start recording, move to a spot, and type "r_flashlightlockposition 1" to lock it in place, allowing you to move and have it NOT move. You have to use the DME Element Editor at the side to modify the properties, and I'll have a tutorial up as SOON AS POSSIBLE, as well as a .dmx file.

Edited:

I took my poster and put a flashlight over the engy's face. As you can see, the texture of the ground is gone, but I'm very very much hoping that a little bit of editing the .vmt files will help.

Edited:

Here's something for you: It's not breaking the textures, it's breaking the DISPLACEMENTS.

They work on some of the brushes, but not all. Not sure if that's related to the textures, but whatever. Anyways, it also disables the rendering of displacements.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts

All the problems are fixed now, all you have to do is apply the commands at the MENU and start the map with the "start a server" button on the menu. Miracle, ain't it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

12. Post #52
    December 2009
    1,183 Posts
    who gives a flying shit about shadows?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 27 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    who gives a flying shit about shadows?
    there's the fact that if they're used correctly they can make a video 10x more immersive.
    oh, and there's also the fact that we didnt think any of this shit was possible with sfm so we're intrigued.

in other news,

this is the last one, i promise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts
    I like that.

It can also be used for doors opening and shit.

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    One thing I've noticed about them is that they're far better than the default projectedtexture, in the terms that they actually shade objects PROPERLY. Plus, they're incredibly customizable letting you change just about any variable that a spotlight/flashlight/env_projectedtexture (any of those fit) light could have.

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,346 Posts
    Haha, still remember that one
    Wow that comment actually touched me. I'm glad I could amuse at least one person

Edited:

This is nothing short of amazing. The dancing heavy made me giggle too. If you had a tutorial on this, that may just be what gets me back into SFM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    woops i lied
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    April 2009
    1,749 Posts
    Darkonmi, as Patrick would say

I love you. But flashlights hates me even at the menu aa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

19. Post #59
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    22,883 Posts

14:19 - Swampie: I am banned, Andi need to post a vid
    14:19 - Swampie: in the source film maker thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 19Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    April 2009
    1,749 Posts

Third test with Harvey and Derrek. This one is my first animation with two characters on screen, interacting, and moving from the place they are standing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 21Artistic Artistic x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,980 Posts
    there's the fact that if they're used correctly they can make a video 10x more immersive.
    oh, and there's also the fact that we didnt think any of this shit was possible with sfm so we're intrigued.

in other news,

This one is great, I hope TF2 could support dynamic shadow/lighting like that in-game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. France Show Events

22. Post #62
    I'll Go all tadpole on you
    June 2005
    1,170 Posts

Third test with Harvey and Derrek. This one is my first animation with two characters on screen, interacting, and moving from the place they are standing.
    If i wasn't the man i was i'd kiss ya.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    Exp
    March 2010
    518 Posts

Just a question: How come the heavy is moving so slow? I never used SFM at all, but it wouldn't it be more realistic if his movements were faster?

24. Post #64

July 2009
    3,212 Posts

in other news,

Aw, I want this in the regular game

25. Post #65
    April 2009
    1,749 Posts
    Just a question: How come the heavy is moving so slow? I never used SFM at all, but it wouldn't it be more realistic if his movements were faster?
    yes this was my fault.

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    Here's a tutorial.

1. Start SFM
    2. Press F10, F11
    3. Enter mp_flashlight 1 in console
    4. Enter mat_supportflashlight 1 in console
    5. Enter r_flashlightscissor 0 in console
    6. Enter "bind anykey "impulse 100" and change anykeyhere to any key (derp).
    7. Use create a server button to pick a map
    8. When loaded, pick any class
    9. To record flashlight, move to a position you want your flashlight to be and aim it where you want it to be
    10. Disable recording world and sound, so the puppet class doesn't show up
    11. Don't turn your flashlight on, and start recording. BEFORE the four beeps end, turn ON your flashlight.
    12. Make it really short, end the recording as soon as the four beeps end, and you should have a light.
    13. Now, right click on the shot in the timeline, and click "Zoom In"
    14. There should be Take1 there, if you haven't recorded anything but the light. If you HAVE, and there's Take1, Take2, etc, just pick the one with the largest number, as that'd be the most recent.
    15. Right click the take and hit "Properties"
    16. In the DME Element Editor, you should see take1. Go down THIS EXACT PATH in the DME Element Editor: take1 > tracks > Lights > children > flashlightChannelsClip > channels, here you will see three TO four categories called "Visible", "Position", "Orientation", and MAYBE "minDistance".
    17. Delete position, orientation, and minDistance, but keep Visible.
    18. Go into visible > fromElement, here you will find all the values for editing the flashlight.

shadowFilterSize: Blurriness of shadows.
    shadowDepthBias, shadowSlopeScaleBias: Changes accuracy of shadows, can cause artifacts if set too low.
    horizontal/verticalFOV: Changes how tall/fat the flashlight projection is.
    texture: Changes the texture of the flashlight to whatever material.
    constant/linear/quadraticAtennuation: Seems to change the brightness of the light over distances.
    maxDistance: Visibility of the light from this distance.
    intensity: As you guess, changes how intense the light from the flashlight is.
    color: Self explanatory, comes with a neat little menu that sometimes fails to load.
    visible: Self explanatory.

Hope y'all have fun with those!
    And remember, exploration is never a bad thing. I wouldn't have ever found out about this if I was one to give up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    April 2009
    1,749 Posts
    Excuse me how do I turn on the flashlight
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    Excuse me how do I turn on the flashlight
    Oh shit, I'll add that right away.

bind "keyhere" "impulse 100"

Edited:

oh god i feel so stupid haha

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts
    So it took us 5 months to figure out that the SFM could do dynamic lighting. This means there's still stuff yet to be discovered :o
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    Also, it seems the lights ARE limited. To six, specifically. If anybody could possibly maybe edit the files and change that higher, that'd be so badass.

Probably won't be possible any time in the near future, though. Remember, use the lights WISELY!

31. Post #71
    April 2009
    1,749 Posts
    Thanks a lot, I just made a Demo puppet :P

BTW, in a second I'll make a quick tutorial on fluid animation.

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    Combine lights with fluid animation, some progressive refinement and HWM models, you could make a really really awesome video. God know what else we'll discover in SFM if we're only just NOW finding out the cool stuff.

33. Post #73
    April 2009
    1,749 Posts
    I really want to find out how to attach props to props. Meet the Sniper - the Camper van has a bone called bone_camera... WOOOOAH

maybe its in animation editor.

34. Post #74
    May 2009
    986 Posts
    Does it do self-shadowing, though?

Like, watch Meet the Spy and see how the Blu Spy's arms and the Blu Scout's head cast shadows on their bodies, among other things.

35. Post #75
    April 2009
    1,749 Posts

Like, watch Meet the Spy and see how the Blu Spy's arms and the Blu Scout's head cast shadows on their bodies, among other things.
    Yes it does!

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts

Yeah, that's kind of why I'm pretty excited about it.

37. Post #77
    July 2009
    240 Posts
    Here's a tutorial.
    Many thanks!
    constant/linear/quadraticAtennuation: Seems to change the brightness of the light over distances.
    It controls the falloff of the light, The Valve Developer Community Wiki explains how it works. More info in this link.

BTW, in a second I'll make a quick tutorial on fluid animation.
    Oh, I can't wait!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Finland Show Events

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,097 Posts

As far as I know, Meet the Spy was rendered with Autodesk Maya.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    I don't think so, unless valve managed to replicate their lighting style and map completely in maya.

40. Post #80
    April 2009
    1,749 Posts
    No, I think you mean they animated the characters in Maya, and then imported it into SFM.

That's what I heard.

In other news, I also found out a week or so ago on how to move the camera without a player.

1. Create Animation Set > Camera#.
    2. Select Transform.
    3. Select the Manipulation tool.
    4. Go into Work Camera.
    5. Get somewhere near the camera.
    6. BEFORE YOU MOVE THE CAMERA note that there is no blue line on the timeline for the rotation or just placement. To make those blue lines, just click on the yellow square/the middle of the green red and blue rotation circle.

Option: Have someone walk, and then raise the camera in the air, and make it swoop down while they walk!

This is also how I did the camera in the Drunk Demoman video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)