1. Post #801
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    Make his hips rotate side to side with the movement of his legs. That should fix his upper torso being incredibly stiff (doesn't move at all).
    Yeah i see that, but unfortunately there's no way to individually animate that part of the body(It turns around everything, it's basically like rootTransform), so i'd have to spin everything else the other way and that'll take too long time, thanks for the suggestion though. (cry some more me)
    My memory may be off, but there may also be a bit of "snap" to the movement, where a leg snaps quicker to straight. Otherwise, it's looking pretty damned good.
    Yeah that's correct, i've studied the move pretty hard. I tried doing that but i can see it's a little too smooth. It may be because of the high framerate, but if it's not, i can probably fix it anyways by dragging in the sliders, thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Denmark Show Events

2. Post #802
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    1,987 Posts
    try rotating his spine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Hong Kong Show Events

3. Post #803
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    So... Two new questions.

First off, was there ever any progress getting hats working? I kinda stumbled across how to load the models in the SFM and get them in the world. Then I remembered that someone had talked about it before. Basically what I'm wondering now is if it's possible to attach them to a character's bones yet.

My other question,
    He got the Spy's headshot animation to play there. How? If I try to add a Spy in while creating an animation set, I can see the headshot animation in the sequences list, I just don't know how to get it to play in the recording.
    Still nothing on getting hats to work. I got as far as getting them to follow the character around at head height, but not to attach to the head bone. I'm thinking that the best options left are to either A) figure out how to compile server plugins for the beta, then make one that opens up all the internal commands (including automating the hat parenting), or B) figure out the dmx format for animation exports/imports and then write a plugin for a modeling application such as Blender. Both options aren't really doable during exams time (aka next week and a half), but I do have some preliminary examination of the dmx format and might look at that route.

As far as the headshot animation goes, it was most likely a taunt replacement. Another option to keep in mind, however, is to spawn a prop_dynamic with the spy model and having it play the sequence, then using the DME Editor to actually hide/show the model at the right times and maybe cleanup the positioning a bit. I doubt that's how it was done, but it should be an option.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

4. Post #804
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    Still nothing on getting hats to work. I got as far as getting them to follow the character around at head height, but not to attach to the head bone. I'm thinking that the best options left are to either A) figure out how to compile server plugins for the beta, then make one that opens up all the internal commands (including automating the hat parenting), or B) figure out the dmx format for animation exports/imports and then write a plugin for a modeling application such as Blender. Both options aren't really doable during exams time (aka next week and a half), but I do have some preliminary examination of the dmx format and might look at that route.

As far as the headshot animation goes, it was most likely a taunt replacement. Another option to keep in mind, however, is to spawn a prop_dynamic with the spy model and having it play the sequence, then using the DME Editor to actually hide/show the model at the right times and maybe cleanup the positioning a bit. I doubt that's how it was done, but it should be an option.
    The way i'd do it, would double click the timeline and then timing the sequences to play correctly. As you know, you can move the forward/backwards and trim them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Denmark Show Events

5. Post #805
    PwR

January 2010
    27 Posts
    Also, continuing my series of dancing classes, i made the Spy moonwalk and please criticize the animation only. (It's at 48 FPS which is the reason it's so slow)
    Front: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1650946/Moon-walk_1.mov
    Side: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1650946/Moon-walk%20side.mov
    http://senorgif.com/2010/05/26/funny...ow-it-is-done/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Croatia Show Events

6. Post #806
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    I did the animation looking at the video

7. Post #807
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    1,987 Posts
    So anyone have any idea how to import / use gmod models in sfm? or does it already work?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Hong Kong Show Events

8. Post #808
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    It should work already - you just have to either animate the model using the animation set editor or spawn it as a prop using console commands.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

9. Post #809
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    1,987 Posts
    alright. thanks.

10. Post #810
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    I just found a fix to the Export Poster function glitching up - not sure if it's been mentioned. If you click Choose File and it promptly stops responding and instead forwards your input to the game, just tap tilde! Instantly brings the dialog into focus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #811
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts
    I just found a fix to the export poster glitching up - not sure if it's been mentioned. If you click Choose File and it promptly stops responding and instead forwards your input go to the game, just tap tilde! Instantly brings the dialog into focus.
    And I still can't render audio :C

12. Post #812
    June 2010
    2 Posts
    I've acquired access to a laptop which can run tf2, I will surely be making more videos.

(ps: i'm darkomni in disguise as mashed potatoes)

13. Post #813
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts

BOOM! I'm back, dummy!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

14. Post #814
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts

that darn teleporter

Edited:

1. lolautomerge
    2. disregard the fact that the engie is at the ground for like half of a second, i timed that setpos pretty badly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

15. Post #815
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    -snip-

Edited:

The video of the Demoman dancing to the YMCA clip gave me a great idea for a SFM video. It'll require a helluva lot of faceposing and animation though.

Hmm. Faceposer doesn't want to start up for some reason...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

16. Post #816
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    Way too few angles, and when an angle changed, you waited about a second before anything appeared, and then another second in the end where nothing happened. Get some DoF in it and some moving cameras.

Edited:

-snip-

Edited:

The video of the Demoman dancing to the YMCA clip gave me a great idea for a SFM video. It'll require a helluva lot of faceposing and animation though.

Hmm. Faceposer doesn't want to start up for some reason...
    Oh you snipped it, and thanks :)

Edited:

I mean, i'm happy i inspired you

17. Post #817
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,937 Posts
    So I finally got around to finishing another video. Tried smoothing the animations this time like DK said. I'll let you guys be the judge on how that worked out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #818
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    So I finally got around to finishing another video. Tried smoothing the animations this time like DK said. I'll let you guys be the judge on how that worked out.
    The Scout seemed a little stiff at times, but it fit the clip and the movement was solid if a little fast. Good though, nice job.

Alright then I'm new to Facepunch membership obviously, but I've been watching this thread for quiet awhile. I had this TF2 machinima series written and planned out, but then Valve did some something to the SDK that has completely messed up my Faceposer so I figured I'd use my SFM for the series because let's face it: if A LOT of attention and care are put into it, SFM can surpass anything done in the normal game engine.

Anyway as I said I've lurked this thread and I believe I overlooked something I'm curious about:

Is it possible to slow the "breathing" animations if you recorded a puppet? I have a Heavy sitting on some boxes, but his normal "breathing" affects his torso and legs which occassionally sends his hips through the boxes he's sittting on and I'm not sure what needs to be either removed, or smoothed, etc...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

19. Post #819
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    1,987 Posts
    host_timescale?

20. Post #820
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    As a programmer (and perfectionist I guess) I'd take the technically best but most likely overkill route of adding a set of operators that limit the z position of the pelvis bone. I haven't actually tried this before so I don't have a set of instructions, but I can try it after my exam later today.

However, if slowing it will work then you can also adjust the individual ChannelClip's timescale. Right click shot->Zoom In. then expand player_NAME_world models. Then right click each relevant model name and choose Set time scale.

21. Post #821
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Stiff, but definitely better. I enjoyed watching it.

22. Post #822
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    Definitely better. IMO to bring a little life into him you should you should just play as a Scout, or whatever class you want, and just stand still doing nothing so that instead of a completely in-animate body, the idle animation will play.
    The stiff movements fit the voice acting pretty well. Overall i think it was good.

23. Post #823
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,937 Posts
    Definitely better. IMO to bring a little life into him you should you should just play as a Scout, or whatever class you want, and just stand still doing nothing so that instead of a completely in-animate body, the idle animation will play.
    The stiff movements fit the voice acting pretty well. Overall i think it was good.
    That's what I did. It's just that for some reason I decided it would be better to stop the idle animation and just do it all myself. Which of course led to little breathing save for the huge gasps that come in later. I guess I'll just let the idle animations go from now on.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

24. Post #824
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    I've watched the end of "Meet the Engineer" a few times today and was curious because it looks like a Medic and a Demoman are actually walking towards the Engy at the end of the video is there something simple to that or were the customized? Or maybe just slowed on the time scale? Am I seeing things or what?

25. Post #825
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,937 Posts
    I've watched the end of "Meet the Engineer" a few times today and was curious because it looks like a Medic and a Demoman are actually walking towards the Engy at the end of the video is there something simple to that or were the customized? Or maybe just slowed on the time scale? Am I seeing things or what?
    If you hold the Alt key, the player moves with your mouse. I assume it has something to do with joystick control for consoles. It's kinda hard to do because if you're like me, you don't have much room to move the mouse, but it can make it look like the person is walking.

Yay I was able to contribute a bit of useful information for a change.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #826
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    If you hold the Alt key, the player moves with your mouse. I assume it has something to do with joystick control for consoles. It's kinda hard to do because if you're like me, you don't have much room to move the mouse, but it can make it look like the person is walking.

Yay I was able to contribute a bit of useful information for a change.
    Alright that's pretty useful, thanks.

27. Post #827
    June 2010
    519 Posts
    Reminded me of how they animated Toy Story.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Sweden Show Events

28. Post #828
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Hmm. Spy-cloaks don't show on the cameras. Anyone know a way to fix this?

29. Post #829
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    Where did perfumly get his new avatar, i was laughing for like fucking 10 minutes at that

Edited:

30. Post #830
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Where did perfumly get his new avatar, i was laughing for like fucking 10 minutes at that

Edited:

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=950264
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #831
    January 2010
    245 Posts

Edited:

My video :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #832
    January 2010
    68 Posts
    Thinking about redoing "Frozen in time"... just don't have any ideas on how to redo it :\
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #833
    April 2009
    1,750 Posts
    Hmm. Spy-cloaks don't show on the cameras. Anyone know a way to fix this?
    Thirdperson

34. Post #834
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Thirdperson
    I believe I tried that. Still didn't seem to work. I noticed that I could make my puppet cloak if I press M2 while in game-mode after recording.

35. Post #835
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    1,997 Posts
    It keeps crashing for me after about 1 minute in. It used to work fine before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Sweden Show Events

36. Post #836
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    Thinking about redoing "Frozen in time"... just don't have any ideas on how to redo it :\
    Do you mean technically, or creativity wise? If technically, you could just set the timescale to 0, and then make an animated camera fly around, i think.

37. Post #837
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Hey guys, I'd just like to mention that multiplayer editing works FINE in SFM, so if you need a scene where someone dies or gets set on fire it's very easy to do.

Just get another person with TF2 Beta, same version of course, and have them join your server as if they were playing the game (without the -tools command).

I couldn't get port forwarding to work, but that may just be my router. We were able to use Hamachi to get it working though.

And as a final note, I've used SFM to remake the "Ignis Solus" video by the Lit Fuse guys. Has depth of field, camera angles smoothed, etc. I just have one scene to do before I'm finished--I'll post it here when I upload.

38. Post #838
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    1,987 Posts
    Can we have a 24/7 sfm server for our usage? many thanks if anyone does host one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hong Kong Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #839
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,943 Posts
    If only it was possible in multiplayer SFM to see what the other player is editing...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Israel Show Events

40. Post #840
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    I imagine it is possible in valve's up-to-date inhouse SFM to do multiplayer filming properly. Because valve is meany butts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)