1. Post #1041
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,370 Posts
    I find it fun to use DOF as antialiasing for some reason, set the DOF focal plane as low as it'll go, and put the aperture value really low to a point where it erases jaggies but doesn't make it blur to hell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

2. Post #1042
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,370 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

3. Post #1043
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Too bad the first response is an accusation of piracy.

I'm hoping that thread does generate results, once that one guy is fended off.

4. Post #1044
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Firstly, some people actually do happen to still have the TF2 Beta legitimately. Secondly, Robin Walker himself said he enjoyed one of the videos made with SFM (even after being informed). I'm referring to the "Fastest kid in the world" video, see description.

If one of the main developers of TF2 is ok with it, then it really shouldn't be a problem to develop a sourcemod plugin for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #1045
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,370 Posts
    Yeah, some awesome guy decided to post and help me out. Let there be great videos, for all!

6. Post #1046
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,930 Posts
    Made this in one sitting. Hooray for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

7. Post #1047
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,519 Posts
    What do you need Source Mod for anyway?

8. Post #1048
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,943 Posts
    Brilliant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Israel Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #1049
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    What do you need Source Mod for anyway?
    From the topic:

"Sourcemod uses sm_cvar which can access private and locked variables, such as tf_scout_air_dash_count, allowing you to change the number of doublejumps a scout can do, and many more commands as well. However, attempting to use sourcemod with the tf2 beta (the only version of tf2 that the SFM can run on) only causes it to crash whenever you load a map."

Edited:

Oh, to clarify, I'm "gavintlgold" in that thread in case you're watching both :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #1050
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,370 Posts
    as benny says, it can change a lot of cvars that would be beneficial to making videos.

11. Post #1051
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts

That's my first attempt at SFM's animation and faceposing, thoughts?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #1052
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    So, looks like the guy who was complaining isn't really an integral part of the team (if he's at all a part of anything). All is not lost.

On a different subject, my friend and I want to make a sort of TF2 comedy series with SFM. We've gotten a few voice actors already but are still interested if anyone has relatively good TF2 voices.

Now that we know how to use Maya etc to import into SFM we're interested in recruiting good animators to help ease the burden. Granted, we don't have a script yet, but it's in the works. If I don't have to do all of the animations the process will be significantly easier.

Please let me know in a PM with your email if you're interested in joining the project.

Edited:

That's my first attempt at SFM's animation and faceposing, thoughts?
    That's quite nice. I'm just going to be very critical just so you can improve so please take no offense :)

[list][*]Video is squashed, not sure exactly why but it should be fixed.[*]Extremely low framerate (7 or 10 fps?)[*]Not using mat_picmip -10 to make pretty pitchurs[*]Looks like you aren't smoothing the camera. Take a look at the tutorials and see if you can get that working because it makes camerawork MUCH easier and it also makes it look much better.[*]Are you using Faceposer? Isn't that broken? If you're using the animation set editor to animate the heavy's mouth then you are a GOD at it but I think you're using Faceposer. HOW? It's broken for me, just crashes :([*]I like your animations, they looked very natural most of the time! The heavy actually looked like he was having a conversation. I liked the way he looked at the camera and cocked his head, etc.[*]Try some effects like motion blur and depth of field. Really helps improve the overall look of the video.[/list]
    Once again, please don't take offense, I'm just trying to help you out. Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

13. Post #1053
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,543 Posts
    Made this in one sitting. Hooray for me.
    Wonderful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Australia Show Events

14. Post #1054
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    100 Posts
    Hehe, I was able to play back both videos simultaneously on the thread. It was quite amusing.
    http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video...uthorName=2010
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #1055
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    This one seems better to me :D

http://youtubedoubler.com/6S7b

Could just be Google Chrome though, it seems like the syncing isn't perfect every time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

16. Post #1056
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,370 Posts
    So, could someone with sourcefilmmaker available to them at this very point in time test sourcemod? Preferably from the latest version and then down, so we can find the most recent version that works with the tf2 beta. Remember to install metamod: source, else sourcemod won't run properly. IF you need any help figuring out how to install them properly into tf2 beta, just add and ask me over steam.

17. Post #1057
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Well, after some testing I have come to a conclusion - the most recent version of metamod combined with sourcemod version 1.3.2 works just fine in the beta. So far I've displayed admin messages and changed the spy cloak/unlock times - I've yet to get tf_scout_air_dash_count to be recognized, so no flying scout battles just yet. However, the base functionality is there. I'm going to try installing some sourcemod plugins before posting back the steps, but it's basically just a slightly roundabout install (wiki instructions miss some steps).

Edited:

Ok, it's not perfect. It lets us change convars but CreateEntityByName is glitched apparently, which means mods like "Spawn Sentry on Death" don't work. However, I also tested the Bullettime mod and it works fine!

Edited:

I started looking into signature scanning to fix the lack of CreateEntityByName. Looks doable, albeit a bit technical!

Also, does anyone remember if tf_scout_air_dash_count was added in an update? It might not be available in the beta unfortunately.

18. Post #1058
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    *Critique*

Once again, please don't take offense, I'm just trying to help you out. Good luck!
    No offense taken, but faceposing was done in SFM because yes, FacePoser is broken... Don't know why. :(

19. Post #1059
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,519 Posts
    God damn it why does nothing ever work properly for me. When I go to try to import the FBX I created in Maya into MotionBuilder, I get nothing except maybe a single joint. I've tried multiple different Maya export and MB import options, but nothing's had an effect on it.

Do I need a plugin for MotionBuilder or something?

20. Post #1060
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Faceposer won't even start for me (using Win7).

Anyway, steps to get sourcemod up and running:

Install Metamod
    [list=][*]Download most recent version (1.8.2 at time of writing)[*]Extract the addons folder to <root>/tf[*]Open <root>/tf/gameinfo.txt and change the SearchPaths section to look like this:
    Code:
    		SearchPaths
    		{
    			GameBin				|gameinfo_path|addons\metamod\bin
    			Game				|gameinfo_path|.
    			Game				tf
    			Game				|all_source_engine_paths|hl2
    		}
    (I added the GameBin line)[*]That's it! Run the beta and type "meta version" in console to confirm it's loaded.[/list]Install Sourcemod
    [list=][*]Download most recent version of SourceMod (I used 1.3.2-hg2938, which isn't quite the most recent, but more recent should work)[*]Extract its addons/sourcemod folder to <root>/tf/addons. Do not extract the addons/metamod folder it includes.[*]Extract its cfg folder to <root>/tf[*]Open <root>/addons/metamod/metaplugins.ini. Add "addons\sourcemod\bin\sourcemod_mm" to the bottom of it.[*]Done! Run the beta and type "sm version" to confirm it's loaded. You have to either launch a map or run "sm plugins load basecommands" before you can use sm_cvar.[/list]

The biggest thing this lets you do right now is toggle sentries seeing enemies, but it can also be used for other things like changing spy cloak time (or even friendly transparency). Note that not all sourcemod plugins will work with it - most notably, anything that spawns entities will not work yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #1061
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,519 Posts
    God damn it why does nothing ever work properly for me. When I go to try to import the FBX I created in Maya into MotionBuilder, I get nothing except maybe a single joint. I've tried multiple different Maya export and MB import options, but nothing's had an effect on it.

Do I need a plugin for MotionBuilder or something?
    Fixed it.

Drag the file from a folder onto the stage rather than use the File > Motion File Import button.

22. Post #1062
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    And just like that, there's SourceMod.

Thanks for that Metroid.

23. Post #1063
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,370 Posts
    Oh dear, it really is supposed to be tf_scout_air_dash_count, I just did a quick search. It's possible valve added it in as a locked cvar later in the day

24. Post #1064
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    I'd be interested in making a Sourcemod plugin that streamlines the filming process. Maybe auto-spawns bots and teleports them to the right place (bot_teleport with getpos seems very inaccurate in the beta, teleporting bots about one person's length above where I was standing when I typed getpos).

It could also auto-stop the round timer, maybe even inform actors not using source filmmaker when the filmmaker is starting to film.

Maybe auto-switch to thirdperson and back (SFM crashes if you are in thirdperson while trying to record with the three camera options for recording on the top checked)

Maybe Sourcemod could even delete game models during recording so that we don't have duplicate control points, etc...

Any other ideas for improving the filmmaking experience? I doubt we could do anything SFM related.

25. Post #1065
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    I'd be interested in making a Sourcemod plugin that streamlines the filming process. Maybe auto-spawns bots and teleports them to the right place (bot_teleport with getpos seems very inaccurate in the beta, teleporting bots about one person's length above where I was standing when I typed getpos).
    I wasn't even aware that there was a getpos / bot_teleport command . But anyway, that along with instant sentry build commands would be convenient. We need to get the signature for the entity create function first, of course.

It could also auto-stop the round timer, maybe even inform actors not using source filmmaker when the filmmaker is starting to film.
    Would be useful. For reference, "RecordGame" is the command the client executes when you click record. The command doesn't otherwise exist but sourcemod should be able to recognize when it's run, right?

Maybe auto-switch to thirdperson and back (SFM crashes if you are in thirdperson while trying to record with the three camera options for recording on the top checked)
    Doesn't crash on my copy.

Maybe Sourcemod could even delete game models during recording so that we don't have duplicate control points, etc...
    That would be VERY useful.

Any other ideas for improving the filmmaking experience? I doubt we could do anything SFM related.
    Aside from more convenient sentry building, things like walking on air would be good for some camera angles (disable gravity temporarily).

26. Post #1066
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Doesn't crash on my copy.
    Sorry, just remembered what it was. If you enable the "noclip" checkbox then it crashes. I imagine noclip in thirdperson mode doesn't make much sense or is broken somehow and so it crashes.

27. Post #1067
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,421 Posts

Not mine, but was asked to post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #1068
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    I have to wonder what happened with all those sentry gibs...

Sorry, just remembered what it was. If you enable the "noclip" checkbox then it crashes. I imagine noclip in thirdperson mode doesn't make much sense or is broken somehow and so it crashes.
    Still not crashing in my tests! Can you bind a key to noclip (ex. v) and use that?

29. Post #1069
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    I just found that whenever I was filming the pyro with the intel (and thus forced to use thirdperson), and then filming the camera movement, if I forgot to switch to firstperson for the camera movement SFM would completely crash on me.

Maybe it's only on my machine but it seemed consistent.

30. Post #1070
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,519 Posts
    I'm not having a whole lot of luck getting the TF2 rigs to function properly in MotionBuilder :(

31. Post #1071

July 2009
    3,212 Posts
    The Tf2 fingers look better in these beta files.

can anyone upload the hwm player models?

32. Post #1072
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,519 Posts
    The Tf2 fingers look better in these beta files.

can anyone upload the hwm player models?
    Only the Heavy's hands look better.

33. Post #1073

July 2009
    3,212 Posts
    Well then can someone upload his hwm player model.

34. Post #1074
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    I've been trying to work with Maya using the tutorial.

The batch file seems to be working but whenever I try to enable the plugins the script editor says it's unable to dynamically load them.

I'm running 64-bit maya, is that the issue?

Also I'm using 2011

// Error: Unable to dynamically load : c:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/gavintlgold/sourcesdk/maya/2009/plug-ins/vsMaster.mll
    //
    // Error: //
    // Error: (vsMaster) //

For each plugin

35. Post #1075
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    Fixed it.

Drag the file from a folder onto the stage rather than use the File > Motion File Import button.
    I was just coming here to ask that question. Glad you found a solution. Thanks.

36. Post #1076
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,519 Posts
    I was just coming here to ask that question. Glad you found a solution. Thanks.
    Let me know if you figure out how to properly rig the TF2 characters in Motion Builder. I'm stuck :\

Edited:

I've been trying to work with Maya using the tutorial.

The batch file seems to be working but whenever I try to enable the plugins the script editor says it's unable to dynamically load them.

I'm running 64-bit maya, is that the issue?

Also I'm using 2011

// Error: Unable to dynamically load : c:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/gavintlgold/sourcesdk/maya/2009/plug-ins/vsMaster.mll
    //
    // Error: //
    // Error: (vsMaster) //

For each plugin
    The plugins don't work with 2011.

37. Post #1077
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    The plugins don't work with 2011.
    Hitscorner seemed to be able to get it in motionbuilder and he said he had 2011... Hmm.

HITSCORNER, how did you do it?

38. Post #1078
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    Damn, I still don't have an animation when I import it back into Maya.

39. Post #1079
    I make avatars and stuff!
    July 2009
    2,847 Posts
    Hitscorner seemed to be able to get it in motionbuilder and he said he had 2011... Hmm.

HITSCORNER, how did you do it?
    I originally was able to get the reference file into Maya 2011 then exported it as fbx into motionbuilder. I animated it on motionbuilder then brought it back into Maya with the animations but I was unable to export as DMX in 2011.

(Currently using Maya 2009 now and i'm having trouble with my DMX file SFM says this file has no animations in it. Any ideas??)

40. Post #1080
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,519 Posts
    You have to bake the animation or something.

From Cloud's post:
    "If you get no animation in maya when importing then you need to bake your animation, with motionbuilder its done with the plot option, in max you can just export to smd then re-import it."