1. Post #1081
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    Too bad I don't know how to do that. I assume you go to Animation, then plot all/selected but thats not working for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

2. Post #1082
    I make avatars and stuff!
    July 2009
    2,854 Posts
    You have to bake the animation or something.

From Cloud's post:
    "If you get no animation in maya when importing then you need to bake your animation, with motionbuilder its done with the plot option, in max you can just export to smd then re-import it."
    I get the animation to play in Maya its just when I import the DMX file into SFM it says there is no animation in the file.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

3. Post #1083
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    I get the animation to play in Maya its just when I import the DMX file into SFM it says there is no animation in the file.
    How? What did you do to get the animation to play?

4. Post #1084
    Jaykin' Bacon: Episode Three
    February 2005
    24,078 Posts

Not mine, but was asked to post
    parky wt u doin
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #1085
    July 2009
    2,854 Posts
    How? What did you do to get the animation to play?
    I switched over to Maya 2009 and downloaded the fbx plugin

My first and really crappy animation

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8375706/Test

6. Post #1086
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    I switched over to Maya 2009 and downloaded the fbx plugin
    That worked! Thanks!
    I thought I already had the plug-in. Guess not.

Ok now I can't import the dmx into sfm.
    It says it contains no animation.

7. Post #1087
    July 2009
    2,854 Posts
    That worked! Thanks!
    I thought I already had the plug-in. Guess not.

Ok now I can't import the dmx into sfm.
    It says it contains no animation.
    Yeah that is the same problem I am having. :(

8. Post #1088
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    So in 32-bit Maya 2009 the plugins load nicely and the export seems to work, but when I try to open in MotionBuilder I don't see the textures for the scout like they have in the video.

I'm not sure if this is because the import fails or if I just don't have textures enabled in MotionViewer.... but maybe someone can help me?

9. Post #1089
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,524 Posts
    So in 32-bit Maya 2009 the plugins load nicely and the export seems to work, but when I try to open in MotionBuilder I don't see the textures for the scout like they have in the video.

I'm not sure if this is because the import fails or if I just don't have textures enabled in MotionViewer.... but maybe someone can help me?

Did you drag and drop the FBX file from a folder window to the viewport or did you use the File > Import method?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

10. Post #1090
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    Yeah that is the same problem I am having. :(
    Haha, I just noticed your avatar is from one of my videos.

11. Post #1091
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Did you drag and drop the FBX file from a folder window to the viewport or did you use the File > Import method?
    Using File > Open, which (after testing based on your suggestion) does the same thing as dragging in the file.

It seems like the bones are being imported but the model and any textures are missing.

12. Post #1092
    July 2009
    2,854 Posts
    Haha, I just noticed your avatar is from one of my videos.
    lol yeah just changed it and i'm trying to work on a gif of it but making gif images isn't something I have ever looked into before.

13. Post #1093
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    I tried it with the heavy and his ammunition thing is modeled and textured but not in the right place, and the rest of his body is nowhere to be found ... Odd.

I'm using Motionbuilder 2011, but I would think it should be able to open stuff exported with Maya 2009....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #1094
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    lol yeah just changed it and i'm trying to work on a gif of it but making gif images isn't something I have ever looked into before.

If you want to use it it will have to be an apng though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

15. Post #1095
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    I tried it with the heavy and his ammunition thing is modeled and textured but not in the right place, and the rest of his body is nowhere to be found ... Odd.

I'm using Motionbuilder 2011, but I would think it should be able to open stuff exported with Maya 2009....
    I'm using 2011 as well and I don't have that problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #1096
    July 2009
    2,854 Posts

If you want to use it it will have to be an apng though.
    Wow thanks metroid lol I was just trying to make this in macromedia 8. :D

Edited:

bummer I guess you have to be a gold member to use gif images.

Edited:

My current avatar is a png I don't know why the background isn't transparent.

17. Post #1097
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Oooh! It just started working. I think I needed to close Maya for it to work. I bet Maya was hogging the texture files or something. Hooray, on to the next step...

18. Post #1098
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,524 Posts
    Well, I successfully got an animation file from Maya to the SFM.

Will post explanation in a moment.

Edited:

If you've got your completed animation/pose or whatever in Maya, go the the DMX Export, and in the window where you name and save the file, press Options.

Go to Export Options and change the Export Type to Skeletal Animation.

Then name and save it and that should stop the "This file contains no animation" errors in the SFM :D

19. Post #1099
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    6,097 Posts
    I get into SFM and try to move around in map I loaded but it just remains stationary. Can anyone explain what I need to do?

20. Post #1100
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Press F10, maybe also F11.

21. Post #1101
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,524 Posts
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3797244/success.wmv

My quick test anim. There's some stuff you have to work around and I'm trying to figure out the specific problem areas.

22. Post #1102
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    Well, I successfully got an animation file from Maya to the SFM.

Will post explanation in a moment.

Edited:

If you've got your completed animation/pose or whatever in Maya, go the the DMX Export, and in the window where you name and save the file, press Options.

Go to Export Options and change the Export Type to Skeletal Animation.

Then name and save it and that should stop the "This file contains no animation" errors in the SFM :D
    Worked! Yesss!

23. Post #1103
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    6,097 Posts
    I'm starting to get the hang of this. Pretty cool

24. Post #1104
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,524 Posts
    Still, if anyone figures out how to get the TF2 rigs working in MotionBuilder inform me!

I hate animating in Maya :(

25. Post #1105
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    i animate in motionbuilder.

26. Post #1106
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,524 Posts
    i animate in motionbuilder.
    You got the TF2 rigs working in MotionBuilder?

27. Post #1107
    July 2009
    2,854 Posts
    New video including custom scout animation.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

28. Post #1108
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,524 Posts
    Woot, somehow got a Spy rig working in MotionBuilder :D

29. Post #1109
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    You got the TF2 rigs working in MotionBuilder?
    No, I use maya to convert it to fbx then animate in motionbuilder. How did you get the rig to work?

30. Post #1110
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    I followed the tutorial and ended up with this.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

31. Post #1111
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,524 Posts
    No, I use maya to convert it to fbx then animate in motionbuilder. How did you get the rig to work?
    You have to rename all of the bones in the TF2 rigs to match the MotionBuilder ones.

Edited:

Hmm. When I try to bring my animation from MotionBuilder into Maya, I only get one frame. Anyone know what the issue is?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #1112
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Guys! I've nearly gotten the medic to do the tutorial animation "punch"! His arms are a bit goofy but the rest of his body looks good and normal doing the animation! :D

Will post a video when I fix those pesky arms.

33. Post #1113
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,524 Posts
    Tried fucking around with a mo-cap rig and a Spy. The results weren't really as planned

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3797244/Output.avi

34. Post #1114
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Tried fucking around with a mo-cap rig and a Spy. The results weren't really as planned

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3797244/Output.avi
    Yeah, same thing happened to me. I just figured it out!

Default Valve "reference" is not the right pose for "stance".

Rotate the arms up so that they are pointed straight out (see that mia character for a reference, like the Vitruvian Man). I found it helped to rotate them a little forward too so they don't clip so much into the body.

Like this:

35. Post #1115
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Lookie what I made! I was able to get the Motionbuilder's default "punch" animation to work with the medic model (slightly random, yes).

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #1116
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    100 Posts
    Okay guys here's how you rig properly in motion builder.

Also do not rename your bones, the bones in the dmx and the bones ingame must be exactly the same name.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #1117
    January 2010
    126 Posts

Also do not rename your bones, the bones in the dmx and the bones ingame must be exactly the same name.

Thanks so much for these, they've helped a whole bunch. That rigging thing looks very neat, I just did a quick job that allowed me to use existing animations but they way you set it up way better ;)

I'll have to check this last technique out later on when I get some time.

38. Post #1118
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    23,752 Posts
    Who does Scout think he is, Vivec?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #1119
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Cloud, I've got just one tutorial request, it's how do you transfer motion from one rig to another in motionbuilder?

(for endorphin)

I've done a few adjustments in 3DS Max, and it looks pretty neat, but it'd be cool if I didn't have to use Endorphin's crappy motion transfer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50D1BlE1KSs

Edited:

Okay, I haven't really followed the SFM discoveries since the very early days, so tell me, is it possible to import a HL2 model and apply a VCD to it easily?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. France Show Events

40. Post #1120
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts

I actually have a WIP floating meditating spy short

Again, thanks. These are very useful.

Okay, I haven't really followed the SFM discoveries since the very early days, so tell me, is it possible to import a HL2 model and apply a VCD to it easily?
    Process is the same for HL2 models as it is for TF2 models, as the beta has HL2's content already - no import required.