1. Post #1121
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Process is the same for HL2 models as it is for TF2 models, as the beta has HL2's content already - no import required.
    I mean, how do I spawn them actually? Is there a guide somewhere?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. France Show Events

2. Post #1122
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    100 Posts
    Follow the tutorial above to rig your tf2 character.
    import another rig you want to apply animation from and make sure its also in the t-stance.
    Characterise it.
    go to the settings on your tf2 character, where you can select its rig type, and change it from control rig input, to character input, then select the input character.
    Then plot your tf2 character to the control rig.
    If the animation doesnt look right then one of your models wasn't in the right t-stance before characterising.

Crossing from mb > endorphin > mb i did it like this
    animate in mb > plot it to an endorphin rig > export > import and finish the animation in endorphin > import back to mb > plot the animation back to the tf2 rig.

Edited:

I mean, how do I spawn them actually? Is there a guide somewhere?
    where you create an animation set there's an option that says add model, click that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #1123
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    I don't even know how to create an animation set :byodood:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. France Show Events

4. Post #1124
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Right click the clip shot, Create animation set.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

5. Post #1125
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Right click the clip shot, Create animation set.
    Thank you :)

Now for a question which has probably been asked a thousand times, but, I deleted a shot and the puppet stayed there frozen is there a way to delete it?

6. Post #1126
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Yeah, with the DME Element Editor. Type in the model's name in Search field and hit enter - it should bring you to an element named after the character's model. Change the value of visible to 0 and see if your model disappears. If so, you can delete the element or leave it as-is.

Specifically, it should expand a tree that looks like "clipBin/sequence/subClipTrackGroup/tracks/Film/children/shot/scene/children/take1/children/player_YOURNAME/children/player_YOURNAME_World Models/children/MODELNAME_GameModel".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

7. Post #1127
    Jaykin' Bacon: Episode Three
    February 2005
    24,078 Posts
    is it bad i get so much pleasure out of making shit in this party because and it crashes so much and i'm sadistic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #1128
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    okay last question for today (hopefully)

how do you increase the intensity of the depth of field?

9. Post #1129
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    6,097 Posts
    So to do facial animations I need maya right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

10. Post #1130
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    I look at it more as a challenge - the tool has enough problems that managing to figure stuff out and produce results is rewarding.

okay last question for today (hopefully)

how do you increase the intensity of the depth of field?
    Search for aperture. Then just increase that value.

Make sure to also set the focal plane by holding F while in the camera's view, then dragging the mouse.

So to do facial animations I need maya right?
    You can animate anything in SFM, it's just time consuming. Just add an animation set for the character then use the animation set editor - there's a Lipsyncing tutorial on the wiki.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #1131
    July 2007
    6,097 Posts
    Thank you very much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

12. Post #1132
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Here's my very first use of the Animation Set Editor ever

Edited:

I don't really understand how to import VCDs and apply them onto a citizen model, it just disappears as soon as I import the VCD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events Funny Funny x 6Artistic Artistic x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #1133
    February 2005
    24,078 Posts
    So I'm silly and can't work this out, what ways would you guys get something from endorphin to a dmx
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #1134
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,519 Posts
    Here's my very first use of the Animation Set Editor ever

Edited:

I don't really understand how to import VCDs and apply them onto a citizen model, it just disappears as soon as I import the VCD
    I don't think we've figured out how to actually apply a VCD to a model yet.

15. Post #1135
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    I don't think we've figured out how to actually apply a VCD to a model yet.

TINY WOMAN IS TINY

( hi-res ovah' here, guv'nor: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...9mxTBvmDAhETwQ )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #1136
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    I got the idea how the facial + sound works, need to improve on emotions and mouth to sound sync.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #1137
    February 2005
    24,078 Posts
    people close their mouth when they talk

why dont you try say i'm gonna beat you like a rented mule boy without closing your mouth
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #1138
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    people close their mouth when they talk

why dont you try say i'm gonna beat you like a rented mule boy without closing your mouth
    Yeah, and that's what I'm gonna improve on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #1139
    July 2007
    6,097 Posts
    My videos are only 10 seconds but they are 1gb in size, what do you guys use to compress these? Or do you not?

20. Post #1140
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,206 Posts
    Windows Movie Maker
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Ireland Show Events

21. Post #1141
    February 2005
    24,078 Posts
    yeah i upload 1gb files to youtube

only kidding just export tgas+wav, render as xvid avi in virtualdub

22. Post #1142
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,206 Posts
    I remember compressing a 4Gb recording of JC2 down to like 450Mb with no loss in quality.
    I'll look around my Pc and see what i used
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Ireland Show Events

23. Post #1143
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,370 Posts
    A note to all who ever use dynamic lighting: I highly, highly, highly recommend setting these two commands before you do anything involving lights, it's a MASSIVE quality increase.

mat_depthbias_shadowmap 0
    mat_slopescaledepthbias_shadowmap 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

24. Post #1144
    I make avatars and stuff!
    July 2009
    2,847 Posts
    lol I got kinda lazy towards the end of this one.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

25. Post #1145
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,421 Posts

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #1146
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    Anyone knows any fix for disappearing models? I can't animate or anything because of that, I just move my camera a little bit and it disappears.

27. Post #1147
    July 2007
    6,097 Posts
    lol I got kinda lazy towards the end of this one.

I feel like the only mouth animations that worked was the end.

28. Post #1148
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    So now randomly the DMX exporter plugin completely crashes maya. As you can see from my last two videos it was working fine before. I don't remember doing anything in particular that could have caused this, except now I've been working with a rig setup. However files that I was able to export before are now broken too so something's up. It just crashes maya completely, very frustrating. I tried restarting the computer but to no avail.

This is SO FRUSTRATING. I've been trying all day and still have yet to export. Before this everything worked fine and maya didn't crash. Once SFM gave me an error but that fixed itself. Now it consistently crashes whenever I hit Export for DMX.......

I guess there's no way to go directly from MotionBuilder to DMX? It would be nice if there was.

29. Post #1149
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    The disappearing models is caused by the original location, pre-animation set, being out of view. To fix, don't move bip_pelvis - move root_transform.

I assume root_transform has a bounding box that it uses before rendering the full model, so as long as it's on camera it should be fine. Keep in mind moving it moves everything else.

30. Post #1150
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    Anyone know a method/command to make sentries fire their guns and rockets?

31. Post #1151
    July 2009
    240 Posts
    Anyone know a method/command to make sentries fire their guns and rockets?
    Use bots.
    You can make a bot build a sentry using bot -class Engineer -name Engineer, bot_mimic 1 and bot_command Engineer build3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Finland Show Events

32. Post #1152
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    I also posted a script that helps out with bot control a few pages back:

Link
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

33. Post #1153
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    Do you guys know how can I get FBX and DMX importer/exporter working with maya 2011?

34. Post #1154
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    The DMX plugins are incompatible with anything newer than 2009 - they wouldn't load under 2010 for me.

35. Post #1155
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Still haven't figured out exactly why the plugin is crashing for me.

The last message in the script editor is "Warning: Unable to create unknown element !" (the space before the ! means the element was supposed to have a name but doesn't, I looked in the plugin's binary and found the line and it's got an %s at the end before the !)

Meanwhile, for some reason the Maya log is completely empty, it just has a single line "Maya Message Log starting Thursday, June 24, 2010" and then nothing. In order to get the warning message I had to record the script editor in CamStudio because I couldn't read it before it crashed.

Hey, does anyone want to help me with this? Here's the FBX file I'm trying to import and export with Maya: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/79523/pyrostretch.fbx

If you get a crash as well I'll know that it's the FBX file and maybe that's the problem... Thanks in advance...

36. Post #1156
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,481 Posts
    New video including custom scout animation.
    Interesting point if that you can put these lovely animations In-game. there was a tutorial around here somewhere, it was vague but it helped.

I tired something similar as a Jarate taunt (added to the sniper rifle because there is nothing to replace.)

If you Don't have the correct shardedbones.qci it fails miserably.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #1157
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Also, if someone who has managed to do it without a crash could post one of their own FBX files I'd like to know if I crash with it as well. This way I know if it's maya or motionbuilder.

38. Post #1158
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    Still work in progress, but is going well.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #1159
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    100 Posts
    If you get a crash as well I'll know that it's the FBX file and maybe that's the problem... Thanks in advance...
    It doesnt crash for me (maya 2009) but it looks like.. uhh..

40. Post #1160
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    It doesnt crash for me (maya 2009) but it looks like.. uhh..
    It's just the motion file so if you open the pyro scene and then import it it should work better I think

The pyro is doing some acrobatic stuff so it might look a bit odd if it's just stick figures.

Also, are you able to EXPORT it as a DMX? That's my problem, Maya doesn't crash just opening the file.

Thanks for trying to help btw.