1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,378 Posts
    It controls the falloff of the light, The Valve Developer Community Wiki explains how it works. More info in this link.
    Thanks for that, should help me with making the lights a bit more realistic. Also, I've yet to see anybody else use lights. I guess you're all still getting used to the method, though. I'm excited to see what you guys will make in the next couple days, and I'll be sure to do a lot more experimenting with SFM's features.

Edited:

Shit about cameras
    My god, you're just a bucket full of filmmaking miracles, aren't you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,875 Posts
    Maybe I should get the beta client but that involves sifting through 50 pages of crap.

Edited:

Im stuck waiting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,378 Posts
    Maybe I should get the beta client but that involves sifting through 50 pages of crap.

Edited:

Im stuck waiting.
    Add me on steam. http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/bites
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,528 Posts
    As far as I know, Meet the Spy was rendered with Autodesk Maya.
    All of Valve's trailers and cinematics are rendered from SFM. The animations are done in Maya, but everything else is in-engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    I was doing lipsyncing in SFM and it crashed, but fortunately i had remembered to save regularly.
    Now when i open the save again the lipsyncing is all messed up. It only saved the movement of the jaw, the lips are just frozen. Is this just another common bug?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Denmark Show Events

6. Post #86
    July 2009
    240 Posts
    When i open the save again the lipsyncing is all messed up. It only saved the movement of the jaw, the lips are just frozen. Is this just another common bug?
    Yes, that is what greatly hindered my Meet the Flagcarrier making progress, apparently you can't save lipsync if you use HWM models.
    Which is a shame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Finland Show Events

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,378 Posts
    Guys, hamachi is the secret to getting SFM working on multiplayer. Croshi and I are connected right now.

8. Post #88
    March 2009
    641 Posts
    Animation tut up soon?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Norway Show Events

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,378 Posts

Croshi's, he was taking his sweet time posting so I did it for him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,528 Posts
    Just throwing a powerful light into the background makes everything look a shit load better.

(click for 6000 x 3000)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    October 2008
    729 Posts
    Hmmm, I seem to not have any menu items on mine when I go into the game window. And then when I press ` to get into console its the same but then I'm stuck without any HUD. Any fixes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,897 Posts
    How come when I set a new camera, SFM crashes? I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

13. Post #93
    April 2009
    1,750 Posts
    Sup guys
    Come SFM with Darkomni and I
    You'll need hamachi, though
    network name: sourcefilmmaker
    password: sfm
    You can connect to me (edbotnik) by right clicking my name and clicking copy address in hamachi. Then type connect *ip*
    See you there!

EDIT: we are finished

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,528 Posts
    You guys accomplish anything cool?

15. Post #95
    April 2009
    1,750 Posts
    You guys accomplish anything cool?
    Well

no :P

we did test some lighting stuff.

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,098 Posts
    Probably late, but I couldn't find it in this thread. How do I use custom maps, or even new maps? I tried using cp_badlands, but the textures were purple checkerboard, and when I extracted the new models and materials folder into the SFM one, it made it even worse.

EDIT: Oh and stopping the game timer?

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,528 Posts
    ent_fire team_round_timer pause

18. Post #98
    July 2009
    240 Posts
    How do I use custom maps, or even new maps? I tried using cp_badlands, but the textures were purple checkerboard, and when I extracted the new models and materials folder into the SFM one, it made it even worse.
    You can't just extract the new textures to SFM because they are newer version than SFM can understand. Here is a tutorial, but it takes A LOT of time to process every texture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Finland Show Events

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,098 Posts
    thenks gais
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    You can't just extract the new textures to SFM because they are newer version than SFM can understand. Here is a tutorial, but it takes A LOT of time to process every texture.
    That looks really easy to automate - the texture version changing, that is. I'm just starting to look at using SFM, but if it's just changing a byte in each file then automating it is the best way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,528 Posts
    Anyone know how to make a batch file that can do that?

22. Post #102
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,378 Posts
    Yeah, it's easily automated since it's changing the exact same byte to the exact same other byte in the exact same spot in the HEX code for each texture. Actually, I bet there's a HEX modifier somewhere out there that lets you do it for entire directories of stuff at a time, kind of how like vtfedit can change entire directories of textures to another filetype at a time. Maybe you can change the version of a texture with vtfedit?

Edited:

Also, apparently, my buddy got SFM running with the latest version of TF2 by running it as commedit.dll earlier today. I'll have a lot more info later, when he comes online.

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    Here's a little teaser for what i'm working on
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Denmark Show Events

24. Post #104
    December 2009
    666 Posts
    Made this not that long after SFM was discovered.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Artistic Artistic x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Done a python script to fix all materials in all subdirectories of the program. It lists everything it does, but doesn't ask about changing files - just confirm it's in the right directory before running (it'll notify you, too). I also have yet to test the materials in SFM, as I'm on my laptop now - I'll do that when I get home.

Code:
    import os
    import struct
    from os.path import join
    unchanged = 0
    changed = 0
    print "Modifying files in subdirectories of", os.getcwd()
    raw_input('Press enter to continue.')
    for root, dirs, files in os.walk(os.getcwd()):
    	print "opening" , root
    	for name in files:
    		if 'vtf' in str.lower(name):
    			f = open(join(root,name), 'r+b') #Open to read & write in binary
    			if 'VTF' == f.read(3):
    				#Get version number
    				f.seek(5,1)
    				ver = ord(f.read(1))
    				#Correct
    				if ver==4:
    					f.seek(-1,1)
    					f.write(struct.pack('i',3))
    					print '*\tchanged', name, " (was VTF version", ver, ')'
    					changed+=1
    				else:
    					print '\tskipped', name, " (VTF version", ver, ')'
    					unchanged+=1

print ""
    print "Done! Changed", changed, "out of", changed+unchanged, "files!"
    print ""
    raw_input('Press enter to exit.')
    Edit: To use it, you'll have to install Python. Then you should be able to just double-click it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    How do you use it?

Edited:

And does that mean i can load more up to date maps now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,097 Posts
    How do you use it?
    You run it with Python. If you can't google "How to use a Python Script" then I'm not sure if you should be trying to use SFM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    I didn't know what a python script was

and i learn't how to use it yesterday

Edited:

And does that mean i can load more up to date maps now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,378 Posts
    the answer was hidden in his post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    ok then

so i run it in python and start up sfm and load my custom map and it will work?

I'm new to this

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,378 Posts
    extract all the tf2 materials from the gcf to the beta
    put the python file in the materials folder
    run the python file

after following these three incredibly simple steps you should be able to play any map made for the current version of tf2 without it looking really really ugly and broken

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    Thanks

Edited:

wait

i don't understand what python is or does

I have a text file, And a python command line thing

now what?

33. Post #113
    July 2009
    240 Posts
    I have a text file, And a python command line thing

now what?
    You rename the file to texturedowngrader.py and double-click it.

34. Post #114
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    Awesome, Thanks

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    Would this work with maps from other games?

36. Post #116
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    It just opens?

37. Post #117
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,378 Posts
    i don't see why it wouldnt

38. Post #118
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    i opened it in python(idle) re-saved it as texturedowngrader.py but it keeps changing to texturedowngrader.py.txt

wtf?

39. Post #119
    July 2009
    240 Posts
    i opened it in python(idle) re-saved it as texturedowngrader.py but it keeps changing to texturedowngrader.py.txt

wtf?
    Change the file format to all files (*) when you save it.

40. Post #120
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    i see

thanks

Edited:

Still saves as a txt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)