1. Post #1161
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    I've always recompiled animation MDLs personally
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. France Show Events

2. Post #1162
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    100 Posts
    are you able to EXPORT it as a DMX?
    It doesn't contain any animation, but i can export it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #1163
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Hmm yeah that file was incorrect, sorry.

Still, if it doesn't crash Maya the second you try to export then it isn't the file causing the problem.

I just completely removed maya and reinstalled so i'm gonna try once more...

Edited:

I think the reason it doesn't animate is because it's made in MotionBuilder 2011 and you probably have an older version of the fbx plugin than I did. Do you mind sending me one of your fbx files made in motionbuilder 2009 so I can see if that's the problem?

Hmm for now I think I'll try deleting sourcesdk and retrying with new, clean files, since maybe there's a problem with that that's causing the crash

So far my hypothesis is that one of the sourcesdk maya script option files got corrupted because I clicked something I shouldn't have. I'm getting fresh new copies now in the hope that it will fix the problem.

Edited:

My hypothesis was correct! It was those option files.

I guess what we have to gain from this is: if Maya crashes when trying to use one of the valve tools, get a fresh copy of the entire "maya" folder in sourcesdk/

The files that I had to refresh were in the maya/scripts/ folder, I'm pretty sure.

Thanks cloud for trying to help :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #1164
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    The result of some more tinkering, this time with some mocap file I found on the interwebs:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #1165
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    6,097 Posts
    The result of some more tinkering, this time with some mocap file I found on the interwebs:

It was pretty funny but you should have had him do a few more moves. Like when MJ stands on his toes and stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

6. Post #1166
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    It was pretty funny but you should have had him do a few more moves. Like when MJ stands on his toes and stuff.
    Hehe well I didn't do any of the animations, it was a test of a mocap file I found.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

7. Post #1167
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    The five funnies I got were worth the ban.

Hehe well I didn't do any of the animations, it was a test of a mocap file I found.
    You just found a mo-cap file on the net? Is there a site that has them or was it a random upload or something?

8. Post #1168
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    You just found a mo-cap file on the net? Is there a site that has them or was it a random upload or something?
    I found this random blog that compiles them. Not much of a collection but a few good ones. Who knows where they come from.

http://gfx-motion-capture.blogspot.com

9. Post #1169
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    I found this random blog that compiles them. Not much of a collection but a few good ones. Who knows where they come from.

http://gfx-motion-capture.blogspot.com
    Interesting. I need to get me that copy of Maya and MotionBuilder so I can put this stuff to use. Thanks.

10. Post #1170
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Hmm I'm fiddling with various things in the DME Element Editor, trying to figure out how to connect a VCD with a model. There's an item "sequence/subClipTrackGroup/tracks/Film/children/<nameofvcdyouimported>/trackGroups/<nameofclassvcdusees>/actorModel" that accepts a string but is empty by default.

I've been trying to change that value to the name of various other things in the DME editor such as the name of the model I import or its path, etc, but to no avail.

I guess no one has figured this particular feature out yet, right? I suppose it could just be broken, but it seems odd for the VCD to import fine along with everything and yet serve no purpose.

11. Post #1171
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    In an old post from the last topic the solution was to associate the model(s) in Faceposer; it will load them automatically.

I can't confirm this, nor try to get it working with the DME Editor, because Faceposer won't even start, which I assume has something to do with me running Windows 7. You could try dragging the DmeGameModel that you wish to use onto actorModel (you'll need a scroll wheel) and see if that works. That's about all I can suggest though without a vcd to test with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

12. Post #1172
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    That's about all I can suggest though without a vcd to test with.
    I've been trying to test with the in-game vcds (like laugh_long or whatever). Just an idea if you want to help test.

Also I've been experimenting with adding a command trigger to the timeline. Maybe there's a way to force the player to play a vcd with ent_fire? I've managed to light myself on fire with Ignite using the trigger so far but that's about it :P

13. Post #1173
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Ok, I've spent a few minutes looking at what importing an existing vcd does (in this case, the demo headshot animation) and I'm not sure what to think of it - it defines a channel called event_ramp, which uses what looks like a flag system for its values. Although I know how this works, I don't know how it applies to in-game models - I'd probably have to use one of the previously successful methods of vcd importing to check how it works, but that won't be happening until faceposer works.

Anyway, an unrelated thing I noticed: SFM allows you to make clips to fade in & out, right within the engine. This is a right click option on clips, but since it's near the top of the list I've always missed it. I had to resize the timeline to get that part of the menu in view. I'll try a higher resolution later to see what else is there, as for all I know there's options above Change Camera. Anyway, among these options you can also add overlay materials to your clips. Using channels you could even apply/remove different materials throughout the clip, and animate the opacity! Not sure exactly what I'd apply that to but hey, the functionality's there.

Also, I'm still planning on writing a proper tutorial for channels & operators, just haven't had more than a few minutes at a time to use SFM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

14. Post #1174
    January 2010
    126 Posts

Unfortunately that's about the top of the list. (notice the export option, this appears for VCDs you import)

By the way, for now if you need to trigger VCDs the easiest way is to override the taunt commands or voice menu commands and just activate them as you would normally. It's still unfortunate that vcd import doesn't seem to work though.

15. Post #1175
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Thanks. Also, is it just my version or is rendering limited to a maximum of your active resolution but posters can be anything you want? It seems like an odd limitation.

Edit: I'm thinking more of this method, since if it works as advertised it does actually utilize the Import VCD option. It should be easy enough to see the comparison between a successful import, with model, and the attempts to import regular vcds. Presumably that would reveal how to edit unsuccessful imports to apply to a model.

16. Post #1176
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    I'm thinking more of this method, since if it works as advertised it does actually utilize the Import VCD option. It should be easy enough to see the comparison between a successful import, with model, and the attempts to import regular vcds. Presumably that would reveal how to edit unsuccessful imports to apply to a model.
    I think I have some old vcds from a project I was doing and if I'm lucky I associated them with models...

17. Post #1177
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Thanks. Also, is it just my version or is rendering limited to a maximum of your active resolution but posters can be anything you want? It seems like an odd limitation.
    I have a 720p monitor, but I have a 1080p option. Granted, I haven't used it, so I can't be entirely sure.

I imagine the posters were given infinite size so as to give the image editors plenty of room to work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #1178
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    This is the result of me opening that VCD, which has all classes inside it (it's a big, long vcd). The models seemed to all spawn where I was looking. But they're all crumpled up and they don't move or emit any sound.

Very odd looking...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

19. Post #1179
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,519 Posts
    This is the result of me opening that VCD, which has all classes inside it (it's a big, long vcd). The models seemed to all spawn where I was looking. But they're all crumpled up and they don't move or emit any sound.

Very odd looking...
    Oh god.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #1180
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Just found another site for motion capture animations (this is the free section)

http://mocapdata.com/index.cgi?category_id=19053

21. Post #1181
    May 2007
    912 Posts
    in case anyone didn't know this already

dumb effect that's probably only useful for dream sequences or something

22. Post #1182
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Just discovered something!

Over here http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=958705 there's a discussion about a neat local command for playing any faceposer sound with the faceposing.

Well, it works in SFM and it also works with custom files (just specify the path relative to sounds/ after playgamesound) AND IT PLAYS THE FACEPOSES OF CUSTOM FILES!

This makes me very happy because it lets you do faceposing with puppets much more easily.

Just discovered so still fiddling... VOILA:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1183
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    We seriously need to get the wiki updated with some of this stuff - that was posted way back in the first thread! The custom paths bit is new though.

24. Post #1184
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    The custom paths bit is new though.
    Yep, all I needed to do was pop my master VCD in the scenes folder, get all the separate .wav files in the sound folder, and then run the corresponding .wav file for that segment of VCD.

A bit easier than changing names and using voice commands. Now, to combine these faceposing things with some custom animations (since I have nothing better to do until Faceposer works again)

25. Post #1185
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Definitely. Also, in case anyone wants to edit a wiki, many useful posts from the first thread:

http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=369

Edited:

Ok, semi-useful

26. Post #1186
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Really wish I could add HL2 citizens in, this would be a godsend

Apparently Valve has managed to (see their HL2 mac teaser) so we *probably* can

We're running on the TF codebase though, right? So there are absolutely no NPCs and stuff like that — but would that change if we switched the filmmaker from tf to hl2 just like some people did with tf to portal, or is that an entirely different story?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. France Show Events

27. Post #1187
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    but would that change if we switched the filmmaker from tf to hl2 just like some people did with tf to portal, or is that an entirely different story?
    I'm pretty sure that the portal stuff was just being able to load Portal maps in TF2, not actually load the portal engine. Hence the engies in the test chamber.

Pretty sure you can't get SFM to work with a Portal binary, only the Beta TF2 one.

By the way, used another audio file from that same machinima VCD and came up with this (my first trying hard animation)

(this uses the playgamesound command)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #1188
    Jaykin' Bacon: Episode Three
    February 2005
    24,078 Posts
    Just discovered something!

Over here http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=958705 there's a discussion about a neat local command for playing any faceposer sound with the faceposing.

Well, it works in SFM and it also works with custom files (just specify the path relative to sounds/ after playgamesound) AND IT PLAYS THE FACEPOSES OF CUSTOM FILES!

This makes me very happy because it lets you do faceposing with puppets much more easily.

Just discovered so still fiddling... VOILA:

are you kidding? people didn't know this? it's what i used for most of my stuff

Edited:

I'm gonna ask this again cause I didn't see any answer:

So I'm silly and can't work this out, what way are you guys getting something from endorphin to a dmx
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #1189
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    Use bots.
    You can make a bot build a sentry using bot -class Engineer -name Engineer, bot_mimic 1 and bot_command Engineer build3
    Well I knew all of that, but I was hoping there was an easier method.

30. Post #1190
    June 2010
    83 Posts

ok I have a problem, every time I load a dmx file all blu characters have a sort of flame texture on them and I can't get rid of it. you can even see it in that video!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

31. Post #1191
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    That's a general issue with SFM that can happen even with regular puppet recordings. The general solution is to just replace the flame overlay with a transparent texture, as suggested on the wiki. That solves the issue as long as you're not planning on lighting characters on fire.

Edited:

Also, I bet that's one of the fastest non-troll bans!

32. Post #1192
    View HD YouTUBE video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9gRRUOodB4g

ok I have a problem, every time I load a dmx file all blu characters have a sort of flame texture on them and I can't get rid of it. you can even see it in that video!

What the flying fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #1193
    January 2010
    245 Posts
    After I rig the model, it crashes and says the display driver stopped working. Can anyone explain to me why this is happening?

Here's a picture.

34. Post #1194
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    6,234 Posts

Very odd looking...
    Demoengimediheavy starship, go!

35. Post #1195
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Another thing I should mention about that attempt to load the VCD: Those models refused to be moved like one normally could, I tried to drag the yellow box or the coordinate things but they wouldn't budge...

36. Post #1196
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    That's odd. Could you upload the save, immediately after import?

37. Post #1197
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    That's odd. Could you upload the save, immediately after import?
    Here it is: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/79523/hovertf2.dmx

38. Post #1198
    June 2010
    83 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #1199
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    What do I do wrong? I have exported my animation from motion builder back to maya, exported it to dmx and tried to load in SFM but it pops me a message box that file does not contain any animation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

40. Post #1200
    Dennab
    May 2009
    7,202 Posts
    For some reason, I can't export my films. I make em, add actors, goto the export movie window, set my options, hit export, and it sends me back to the working window. No pop-up rendering window, nothing. Any help?