1. Post #1241
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    I'm not criticizing or insulting anyone: May I ask why most of you are interested in utilizing Motion Builder?

I'm assuming there's just better animation oriented tools involved by using it? SFM's built in animation tools seem just fine to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

2. Post #1242
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    I'm not criticizing or insulting anyone: May I ask why most of you are interested in utilizing Motion Builder?

I'm assuming there's just better animation oriented tools involved by using it? SFM's built in animation tools seem just fine to me.
    You can rig the models so that by dragging the character's hand they bend over and everything looks realistic. It doesn't crash since it's not an unreleased buggy piece of software. Also, it uses keyframes and layers rather than the ramp slider thing, so you can move the animations around and animate different things at a time.

Also, you can save the animation directly rather than having to save a scene

It's a much more satisfying experience than stressfully trying to move models (half the time the SFM 3d dragger doesn't even work, and then you get crashes and stuff).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #1243
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    You can rig the models so that by dragging the character's hand they bend over and everything looks realistic. It doesn't crash since it's not an unreleased buggy piece of software. Also, it uses keyframes and layers rather than the ramp slider thing, so you can move the animations around and animate different things at a time.

Also, you can save the animation directly rather than having to save a scene

It's a much more satisfying experience than stressfully trying to move models (half the time the SFM 3d dragger doesn't even work, and then you get crashes and stuff).
    Ah I see. Thankfully I've never had any such problems with SFM and I'll just stick with it. :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

4. Post #1244
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    43 Posts
    I don't know if most of you know this (I know Metroid and a few others do [I think]), but it's entirely possible to run GMod maps in Source Filmmaker. Drag-and-drop for most maps, but some require a command or two (think Floating Mountains).

That is all. Now I will be under my bridge once more.

5. Post #1245
    December 2009
    47 Posts
    I don't know if most of you know this (I know Metroid and a few others do [I think]), but it's entirely possible to run GMod maps in Source Filmmaker. Drag-and-drop for most maps, but some require a command or two (think Floating Mountains).

That is all. Now I will be under my bridge once more.

Hmmm.. what about metroid's cubemaap conversion script??? do we need to run that before dragging and dropping?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. India Show Events

6. Post #1246
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    Hey, guys. I'm back in business. My new 5770 radeon card arrived yesterday and I had to format and install windows 7 to get it working

I backed up my steam folder and SFM as well, and it all works pretty flawlessly!

I've found a really nice plugin for sourcemod, lists ALL cvars, including locked and private. It's right here.

Edited:

Ugh, SFM refuses to run. I can open the normal beta and load a map fine and dandy but whenever I try to add -tools to the target, it refuses to load.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

7. Post #1247
    May 2007
    916 Posts
    whoring views here
    too bad flashlights don't bounce like real light does
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #1248
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    9,073 Posts
    REALLY nice lighting! Also, where did you get the music?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #1249
    May 2007
    916 Posts
    REALLY nice lighting! Also, where did you get the music?
    self esteem fund
    it's in portal's music folder man

10. Post #1250
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts
    whoring views here
    That's pretty nice looking.

I'm waiting for my summer bordem to really kick in so I can sit down and write an original full-fleged SFM machinima. All my previous stuff is just movie recreations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

11. Post #1251
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    I'd be doing a fully fledged machinima right now if sfm worked

12. Post #1252
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    whoring views here
    I liked that very much
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #1253
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    I'm waiting for my summer bordem to really kick in so I can sit down and write an original full-fleged SFM machinima. All my previous stuff is just movie recreations.
    Glad to know I'm not the only one.
    :D

14. Post #1254
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    23,742 Posts
    I enjoy that. It would make a good machinima series if continued right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #1255
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,960 Posts
    Damn that's nice.
    IMO, Medic should've volunteered to be squished by the doors in order to let Heavy through, only to die. Then the cube comes down for Heavy to move on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #1256
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    How would I go about seperating part of a model from the rest of it?

I'm setting up a scene where the Engi's helmet is laying nearby, but isn't on his head, but if I move the model's (i.e the Engi's) head it moves the distant helmet laying on the computer as well and obviously that won't work well in the scene.

EDIT:
    I also get a weird looking stretch on his ears sometimes, any method to fix that or am I just S.O.L?

17. Post #1257
    December 2009
    47 Posts
    yeah.... you know i've been trying to get dynamic lightings to work but im just not following the instructions right.......... Can someone please make a video of it! PLEASE :HALO:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete India Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #1258
    January 2010
    68 Posts
    yeah.... youi know i've been trying ti get dynamic lightings to work but im just not followinf the instructions right.......... Can someone please m ake a video of it! PLEASE :HALO:
    It isn't that hard... the instructions are pretty straight forward, too.

Sorry, I've been on vacation and, looking at the last post, I apologize about it.

Anyways, still no ideas. Still no creativity for such a great tool.

19. Post #1259
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    How would I go about seperating part of a model from the rest of it?

I'm setting up a scene where the Engi's helmet is laying nearby, but isn't on his head, but if I move the model's (i.e the Engi's) head it moves the distant helmet laying on the computer as well and obviously that won't work well in the scene.

EDIT:
    I also get a weird looking stretch on his ears sometimes, any method to fix that or am I just S.O.L?
    I don't think that's possible, though you could just make another engineer and exit as quick as possible to prevent the breathing animation which will make the helmet move. Then just use his helmet and put it on the table
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Denmark Show Events

20. Post #1260
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    I don't think that's possible, though you could just make another engineer and exit as quick as possible to prevent the breathing animation which will make the helmet move. Then just use his helmet and put it on the table
    Tried that, but hiding the other helmet way down below the floor gets me that weird rubber ear look...

But I might be able to move the helmet just on the other side of a nearby wall or inside a computer nearby... might work because the stretchy ears don't seem to show until the helmet is QUITE some distance away, like 2-3 meters.

21. Post #1261
    December 2009
    47 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete India Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #1262
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    23,742 Posts
    I guess all of them really were dead.

23. Post #1263
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    Working on a small series in the portal maps - have any of you had this problem before?

As you can see, the textures are there, but there's some kind of overlay that's missing causing pink and black squares to show up, and we all know that's no good. How would I fix it?

24. Post #1264
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,943 Posts
    Working on a small series in the portal maps - have any of you had this problem before?

As you can see, the textures are there, but there's some kind of overlay that's missing causing pink and black squares to show up, and we all know that's no good. How would I fix it?
    Either a reflection error or missing that "Cracks everywhere" overlay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Israel Show Events

25. Post #1265
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    100 Posts
    Hey do any of you guys have difficulty running faceposer for TF2?
    I've got a new movie i want to record in sfm but i need to use faceposer for the characters im using. But it flat out refuses to work and crashes instantly on startup. Nor can i get it to work in any other source games right. Its driving me nuts.

26. Post #1266
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Faceposer ins completely broken with Windows 7, or so I've heard, and I never got it working for me either.

27. Post #1267
    January 2010
    68 Posts
    I think the SDK is just broken, cause nothing works for me, not even the model viewer.

Darkomni, looks like cubemaps broke. Use the Python code from the almost beginning of the thread.

28. Post #1268
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    It's not the cubemaps. I'll try it anyways, though.

29. Post #1269
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    100 Posts

I had this problem with a few textures, i had to re-save the vtf files using photoshop. Same for the normals.
    If that doesnt work then you need to fix up the cubemaps. Think someone posted a python script for it.

30. Post #1270
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    It's not the cubemaps. I'll try it anyways, though.
    So you did run the BSP python script, and it ran without any errors?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Denmark Show Events

31. Post #1271
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    Faceposer ins completely broken with Windows 7, or so I've heard, and I never got it working for me either.
    Not just 7, it quit working on Vista, XP, and pretty much just in general since an SDK update awhile back I believe.

32. Post #1272
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    I know on Vista it won't work because of the Speech SDK that comes with it is screwed up. Mine always worked perfectly fine with XP, though. 7 it won't even open.

I'm downloading and installing XP mode for Windows 7 now. I assume I can just use that, right?

33. Post #1273
    December 2007
    8 Posts
    Cl0ud, can you make a tutorial on how to, somehow, put endorphin in MotionBuilder or something?
    Sorry for the noob question, but damn, I'm desperate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Brazil Show Events

34. Post #1274
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    i fixed it dont worry

35. Post #1275
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    I know on Vista it won't work because of the Speech SDK that comes with it is screwed up. Mine always worked perfectly fine with XP, though. 7 it won't even open.

I'm downloading and installing XP mode for Windows 7 now. I assume I can just use that, right?
    Nah it would work with Vista, you just had to do the pheonomes by hand which is a much more hands on and aware perspective which makes the final productive more presentable.

But ever since an update in like Feb or March, I can't even launch FacePoser.

And in answer to your question: I have my doubts about that. Faceposer straight up not launching I don't think is an OS problem. Maybe it will though I'm certainly no expert.

36. Post #1276

July 2010
    1 Posts
    Where is this autoexec file mentioned in the Wiki where you can add a line to disable timers? I can't find it anywhere.

37. Post #1277
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Where is this autoexec file mentioned in the Wiki where you can add a line to disable timers? I can't find it anywhere.
    In your steamapps/<username>/team fortress 2/tf/cfg folder you can CREATE a new file called autoexec.cfg, and it's run automatically when you load tf2. It doesn't exist by default.

It's useful if you want to save aliases or settings you would normally have to put in the console manually every time you run TF2.

38. Post #1278
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Nah it would work with Vista, you just had to do the pheonomes by hand which is a much more hands on and aware perspective which makes the final productive more presentable.

But ever since an update in like Feb or March, I can't even launch FacePoser.

And in answer to your question: I have my doubts about that. Faceposer straight up not launching I don't think is an OS problem. Maybe it will though I'm certainly no expert.
    It seems this man is right. I can't open up Faceposer even in XP mode. It gives me "Faceposer has encountered a problem and needs to close" or something along those lines. Won't do a damn thing.

39. Post #1279
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    100 Posts
    Cl0ud, can you make a tutorial on how to, somehow, put endorphin in MotionBuilder or something?
    Sorry for the noob question, but damn, I'm desperate.
    Same way as you apply any other mo-cap. Import the animation you want. Characterise it (make sure its in the T stance before you do). Then go to the settings of your tf2 character and set the input type from control rig to character. Then plot the animation to the control rig.

40. Post #1280
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts
    Wow man this fucking sucks. I got the idea of making dances for every TF2 character and then this guy comes along and makes them 10x better. He even made the Spy moon-walk which i've been working on too :(