1. Post #1281
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Wow man this fucking sucks. I got the idea of making dances for every TF2 character and then this guy comes along and makes them 10x better. He even made the Spy moon-walk which i've been working on too :(
    DAMN!

How'd he make those animations?! And how'd he make them so unbelievably fluid and smooth?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

2. Post #1282
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    24,048 Posts
    Maybe he's some kinda extremely-skilled animator, or he uses mo-cap as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #1283
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    That's too damn quick and perfect to be mo-cap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

4. Post #1284
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,530 Posts
    He's a professional animator. He works for Lionhead Studios. He PM'd me on Youtube a while ago asking questions about the Source Filmmaker.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

5. Post #1285
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Hot damn!

6. Post #1286
    PwR

January 2010
    27 Posts
    and remember its still WIP animaition

GIggity!

(well off to the beach, have a great time filmmaking guys)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Croatia Show Events Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #1287
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,029 Posts
    It seems this man is right. I can't open up Faceposer even in XP mode. It gives me "Faceposer has encountered a problem and needs to close" or something along those lines. Won't do a damn thing.
    Yeah I don't don't know what they did, but it REALLY irritated me. Then I heard about SFM, something much more effective and immersive than my old methods.

8. Post #1288
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Yeah I don't don't know what they did, but it REALLY irritated me. Then I heard about SFM, something much more effective and immersive than my old methods.
    But SFM is very limited in the way it handles face movements and .VCDs. That's why Faceposer even exists.

9. Post #1289
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    24,048 Posts
    He's a professional animator. He works for Lionhead Studios. He PM'd me on Youtube a while ago asking questions about the Source Filmmaker.
    So he WAS a pro after all...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #1290
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    1,987 Posts
    So he WAS a pro after all...
    it's not that hard to look at his youtube profile.

"Professional Game Animator Living in England. James9475@gmail.com"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Hong Kong Show Events

11. Post #1291
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    24,048 Posts
    Ah, I never looked there...

12. Post #1292
    April 2009
    1,750 Posts
    God dammit I pm'd him asking to incorporate his animations in my videos.

Also, working on probably THE best hand animated in source film maker video for the foreseeable future.

Because I don't see anybody else doing it.

13. Post #1293
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    100 Posts
    Sent an email to Robin about the broken faceposer and got this response:
    Robin posted:
    Hi Cloud.
    I've forwarded this onto the chaps who handle the SDK. Medical Emergency is fantastic, btw.

Robin.
    Hopefully it won't take too long for them to sort it out so we can use it again.

14. Post #1294
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Wait, wait, wait. He actually responded? Well damn.

But yah, I hope this gets fixed quick. Faceposing in SFM is a pain in the ass. Thanks.

15. Post #1295
    April 2009
    1,750 Posts
    Sent an email to Robin about the broken faceposer and got this response:

Hopefully it won't take too long for them to sort it out so we can use it again.
    Wait he didn't threaten you for source film making

Well he told me he was going to send Gabe to everybody's houses to give a stern talking to when I asked 'what are you going to do about the people who sfm'd.'

16. Post #1296
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,530 Posts

Well he told me he was going to send Gabe to everybody's houses to give a stern talking to when I asked 'what are you going to do about the people who sfm'd.'
    I doubt they really give two shits, to be honest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

17. Post #1297
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts

Would be awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Denmark Show Events

18. Post #1298
    April 2009
    1,750 Posts
    I doubt they really give two shit, to be honest.
    yeah they don't

19. Post #1299
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    100 Posts
    Y'know what happened last time gabe joked about going to someones house.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #1300
    December 2007
    8 Posts
    Same way as you apply any other mo-cap. Import the animation you want. Characterise it (make sure its in the T stance before you do). Then go to the settings of your tf2 character and set the input type from control rig to character. Then plot the animation to the control rig.
    Thank you. I've had several issues with Maya while exporting DMX, it kept crashing, I tought it had something with Maya but I just refreshed it's content. Now I finnally got to work Sniper getting headshotted animation, and why am I telling this? Anyway, thank you very much. Much kisses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Brazil Show Events

21. Post #1301
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Just wondering, is all this information about custom animations on the Wiki? I don't really want to sift through posts to figure it out when I finally get up to speed on animating.

22. Post #1302
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    100 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

23. Post #1303
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,530 Posts
    Fucking lol.

24. Post #1304
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts

Why don't i have the modelsrc folder?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Denmark Show Events

25. Post #1305
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    100 Posts
    Quickie

Also have some sexy tf2 wallpaper http://i31.tinypic.com/k1t8ux.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #1306
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,121 Posts
    :wtc:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #1307
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,530 Posts
    Hahahaha what the fuck.

28. Post #1308
    September 2009
    512 Posts
    SFM is something ive wanting to get into sometime down the road, but currently it does not support custom particle .pcf files, also been having bad problems trying to get custom made maps to work.

I guess ill have to wait till the "official" release ;_;

29. Post #1309
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,253 Posts
    Okay, I don't have SFM, and even if I did I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to use it, so here is this idea I had. Maybe someone would like to animate it.
    An Engineer is working on building something when a Scout shows up and starts hitting him viciously. Scout and Engie start fighting, the Scout talking shit the whole time until he hits the gloved wrench holding hand and knocks the Engineer down.

'Yo, hardhat, I'm gonna beat on your skull till I hit tonsils.'

He swings and the ungloved Gunslinger hand catches the bat mid swing. The Engineer stands up, shakes his head and waves his other finger like the T1000.

'Nope.'

The Scout screams.

Roll credits.

30. Post #1310
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,120 Posts
    Would be awesome
    Except for Gabe raiding your fridge afterwards.

31. Post #1311
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    An Engineer is working on building something when a Scout shows up and starts hitting him viciously. Scout and Engie start fighting, the Scout talking shit the whole time until he hits the gloved wrench holding hand and knocks the Engineer down.

'Yo, hardhat, I'm gonna beat on your skull till I hit tonsils.'

He swings and the ungloved Gunslinger hand catches the bat mid swing. The Engineer stands up, shakes his head and waves his other finger like the T1000.

'Nope.'

The Scout screams.

Roll credits.
    Good idea, but that requires the Gunslinger robotic hand. We're still trying to figure out how hats work, let alone the gunslinger model.

32. Post #1312
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,041 Posts
    The gunslinger is a bodygroup, which means you only have to insert the engineer model.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Spain Show Events

33. Post #1313
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    So happy that Faceposer works again!

PROTIP: Turn off aero and the laggies are all gone.

34. Post #1314
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,530 Posts
    So happy that Faceposer works again!

PROTIP: Turn off aero and the laggies are all gone.
    What's the fastest way to switch between Aero on and Aero off?

35. Post #1315
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    What's the fastest way to switch between Aero on and Aero off?
    Find hlfaceposer.exe in steamapps/username/sourcesdk/bin/orangebox/bin/hlfaceposer.exe, right click, properties, compatibility, disable visual themes, disable desktop composition.

After that it should disable themes whenever you launch it from sourcesdk launcher. (and the themes will come back when you finish)

36. Post #1316
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,530 Posts
    Find hlfaceposer.exe in steamapps/username/sourcesdk/bin/orangebox/bin/hlfaceposer.exe, right click, properties, compatibility, disable visual themes, disable desktop composition.

After that it should disable themes whenever you launch it from sourcesdk launcher. (and the themes will come back when you finish)
    Wow...

I completely gave up on Faceposer after I made Full Metal Jacket because of it getting all laggy and fucked up when scrubbing through WAV files and the fix was as simple as turning off Aero? God fucking damn it.

Thanks though

Edited:

Now, next up is to figure out how to efficiently get Faceposer data into SFM :\

37. Post #1317
    January 2010
    126 Posts
    Wow...

I completely gave up on Faceposer after I made Full Metal Jacket because of it getting all laggy and fucked up when scrubbing through WAV files and the fix was as simple as turning off Aero? God fucking damn it.

Thanks though
    Funny thing is I found that out from running SFM. I have SFM set up to turn off aero because I think it improves performance a wee bit, but I kept faceposer open when it disabled aero and BLAM it was smooth as silk.

Edited:

Now, next up is to figure out how to efficiently get Faceposer data into SFM :\
    I've been working on a little python script that parses the VCD file (just a text file anyway), finds all the associated WAV files in the current tf2 sound/ folder, and copies them to the Beta folder. I'll be able to use this to more easily move stuff from faceposer.

All I have to do is drag the VCD file into the script (I have mine on the desktop) and a command prompt window pops up showing the files to copy. You can hit enter to continue copying and it lets you know what it's doing.

Be warned, I have no guarantee that this is completely bug-free, it's pretty hacky as it is but it has worked in my brief tests.

Also, you'll need to edit the top of the script to have your correct paths to the tf/ directory (my paths are there right now)

It shouldn't matter where you put the script. You can launch it from the command line as well but make sure the path to the vcd is absolute (starting at c://) because I did some hacky things :P. You can drag the file into the cmd prompt to get an absolute path btw.

Get it here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/79523/vcdmover.py

38. Post #1318
    December 2007
    8 Posts
    I gotta ask, is there any way to move the light after you record it? Like, on Animation Set Editor?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Brazil Show Events

39. Post #1319
    January 2010
    126 Posts

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I have invented a device that can TRAVEL THROUGH TIME! I have recovered Sourcemod and Metamod versions from back in the olden days when the Sniper taunted in German! I present to you, these ancient manuscripts:

http://tfgn.org/downloads/sourcemod-1.0.4.zip
    http://tfgn.org/downloads/mmsource-1.8.2-windows.zip

These versions have been tested with TF2 Beta and they work (for the most part, admin menus appear, voting seems to work, etc--I haven't tested it more than that. In any case, sourcemod loads and basic functions run. I will let you know as I test more things.

(I pored through mirrors of Sourcemod and Metamod Source until I found a version that was old enough)

I am going to consider how I might go about setting up a plugin/python script system to automatically set up Faceposer scenes. I think the python script I wrote above is a good start--if it communicates with the sourcemod plugin via a cfg file it would probably do the work of swapping the taunt vcds very neatly.

I will keep everyone posted with my progress--I'd like to see this done because it would allow me to much more easily set up and play back scenes--no nasty editing of text files every time I want to preview something, no getpos>bot_teleport copypasta, etc.

40. Post #1320
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    1,987 Posts
    so what else can we do with source mod?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Hong Kong Show Events