1. Post #1801
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    So, any and all custom animations I want can be done in Maya alone, right? My brother's got a copy he's willin' to share and I want to make sure I'm doin' all this right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

2. Post #1802
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts
    So, any and all custom animations I want can be done in Maya alone, right? My brother's got a copy he's willin' to share and I want to make sure I'm doin' all this right.
    Yeah, I just can't figure out how to use the Maya rigs. I can't seem to get a full range of motion out of the arms and legs. Weird constraints and such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

3. Post #1803
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,781 Posts
    Uggh, I want to try Source Filmaker so bad, but I don't want to do any of that illeagle stuff. :sigh:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

4. Post #1804
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Uggh, I want to try Source Filmaker so bad, but I don't want to do any of that illeagle stuff. :sigh:
    Then you're screwed.

5. Post #1805
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    Then you're screwed.
    Whatever could you mean we are completely legitimate individuals...

6. Post #1806

March 2010
    22 Posts
    I made a video but i can't export it,when i click on export it does nothing,i searched and it only do this when i put animations,so i can't make facial animations,bone manipulation or even moving camera,is there a solution to this ?
    I use Windows 7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #1807
    August 2010
    6 Posts
    Hello again.
    And I have a problem again :(
    I made a scene in Faceposer and played it in SFM, recorded and all was just fine. I saved my work, opend it next day and... Eyes of my character :( They stopped blinking. I used multi_CloseLid to blink and to close eyes of my character. And now SFM ignores multi_CloseLid during playing my record. I can totally close eyes using the properties menu, but I can't change anything in the animation set :(

What can I do to correct the lids motion?

BTW, my previouse SFM creation TF2: Soldier is Saxophone Guy (3D)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #1808
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Sweet, i finally got a copy of Maya. Now I gotta learn to use this thing.

9. Post #1809
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    Eyes of my character :( They stopped blinking. I used multi_CloseLid to blink and to close eyes of my character. And now SFM ignores multi_CloseLid during playing my record. I can totally close eyes using the properties menu, but I can't change anything in the animation set :(
    Just to be sure you aren't overlooking the red button are you?

Sweet, i finally got a copy of Maya. Now I gotta learn to use this thing.
    I'm too cheap/broke for that regrettably. Good luck though.

10. Post #1810
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts

Importing valve's official anims from current tf2 into sfm. The broken arms are because this is the animations meant for the more recent models being placed on the ones made in the tf2 beta.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #1811
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts

Importing valve's official anims from current tf2 into sfm. The broken arms are because this is the animations meant for the more recent models being placed on the ones made in the tf2 beta.
    Are all of the animations that fucked up?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

12. Post #1812
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts

Is that the Backburner I see?

13. Post #1813
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,665 Posts
    Is that the Backburner I see?
    It does look like it, it's not that hard to make really, just affix the Backburner head to the regular flamethrower, and replace the sounds
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Sweden Show Events

14. Post #1814
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    It does look like it, it's not that hard to make really, just affix the Backburner head to the regular flamethrower, and replace the sounds
    I'm guessing I was interested in whether it was a skin or the real thing. I know adding in hats was discovered, but weapons as well would be an interesting step foward.

15. Post #1815
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    Are all of the animations that fucked up?
    I've only tried it with the heavy, but the arms seem to always be that messy since it's the new tf2 animations on the beta tf2 models. If you'd like I could show you how to apply the animations, though. Quite simple once you've got the process down, but I spent like over half an hour figuring it all out.

We were quite in luck considering valve provides literally every animation in dmx format, though.

16. Post #1816
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,446 Posts

Made this with SFM. Mostly as a test.
    This inspired me :3:.Pretty fucking awesome, will try doing shit with it tommorow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Slovenia Show Events

17. Post #1817
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    I've only tried it with the heavy, but the arms seem to always be that messy since it's the new tf2 animations on the beta tf2 models.
    Now don't hold me to this, but I had an error with SFM waaaay back when and thought that the lack of Sniper taunts was the result of something I had done. So I brought the files in the current TF2 models folder into the SFM models folder and experienced... no real change actually. I noticed that there are a few extra bones (i.e a "medal" bone), but there was a few problems with the fingers too so I seperated that copy of SFM into another folder somewhere and brought a backup of the original SFM back to the front to work with.

tl;dr: You can put new model files into the beta folder, but I can't promise it does anything since I didn't really tamper with it.

18. Post #1818
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    I've only tried it with the heavy, but the arms seem to always be that messy since it's the new tf2 animations on the beta tf2 models. If you'd like I could show you how to apply the animations, though. Quite simple once you've got the process down, but I spent like over half an hour figuring it all out.

We were quite in luck considering valve provides literally every animation in dmx format, though.
    Can you not just copy/paste the models and anims into the old folder, or are those linked to the engine build somehow?

19. Post #1819
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,376 Posts
    I never said you couldn't, I just hadn't moved the new models over yet.

20. Post #1820
    June 2010
    1,196 Posts
    I think I'm going to wait until the official SFM release. For now I'll stick with the Source SDK despite its a little more limited than the SFM.

21. Post #1821
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    I never said you couldn't, I just hadn't moved the new models over yet.
    I did, the only problem I had was that the fingers didn't seem to flex right. The... uh... 2 and 3 joints?

22. Post #1822
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts
    I think I'm going to wait until the official SFM release. For now I'll stick with the Source SDK despite its a little more limited than the SFM.
    Enjoy waiting forever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #1823
    June 2010
    1,196 Posts
    Enjoy waiting forever.
    I intend do try. The SDK doesn't suck as bad as many people think and it's 100% legally available for free. People are like 'OH NOES I WNAT 2 MAEK TF2 MOVIES BUT I DUN WANNA BRAKE DA LAW WAT DO' but always look past the SDK. It's a little less flashy looking and not quite as powerful but it sure as hell gets the job done.

24. Post #1824
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    I intend do try. The SDK doesn't suck as bad as many people think and it's 100% legally available for free. People are like 'OH NOES I WNAT 2 MAEK TF2 MOVIES BUT I DUN WANNA BRAKE DA LAW WAT DO' but always look past the SDK. It's a little less flashy looking and not quite as powerful but it sure as hell gets the job done.
    I would say it plans to release alongside Duke Nukem Forever, but now that Duke actually DOES have a release date, I can't use that joke anymore.

It's a little less flashy looking and not quite as powerful
    Something of an understatement. As much of a hassle as SFM is, its a helluva lot preferable to going through the shit necessary for in-game filming, requiring actors, server reservation, and pretty experienced work with the console.

25. Post #1825
    Dennab
    October 2010
    199 Posts
    Except you can already do more or less everything you want in Source without having to mess with the pipeline forced by SFM (DMX-supporting software required) and its crashes

Look at this.

Depth of field, motion blur, custom animations.

A lot of people in the comments think it's SFM.

It's Gmod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. France Show Events

26. Post #1826
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    Depth of field, motion blur, custom animations.

A lot of people in the comments think it's SFM.

It's Gmod.
    It's imported animation. While impressive the fact that it's imported into GMod makes it no more impressive than say SFM or heavy duty SDK work (which I believe is how he assembled it all).

Don't get me wrong it's a right fine job, but I'd prefer SFM to the importing, exporting, and extra work required to make videos with the aforementioned features.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #1827
    Dennab
    October 2010
    199 Posts
    Don't get me wrong it's a right fine job, but I'd prefer SFM to the importing, exporting, and extra work required to make videos with the aforementioned features.
    Yeah, everyone chooses his own workflow, I have nothing against that

It depends at what you mean by "heavy duty SDK work", but here's a handy graph of how I do things. To be honest, I pretty much got used to it, now, it seems extremely simple while I couldn't understand anything months ago and was cursing the engine to be doomed to the pits of hell for all eternity

It's just that I really can't be arsed to try to overcome all the glitches of Source Filmmaker, so I'm just telling all of you: there's an alternative.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. France Show Events

28. Post #1828

October 2009
    23 Posts
    WIP - Meet the Cowboy (temp)

This video i made proves one thing, i cant write/plot storyline for sh**. The sound effect also kinda sux...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oExo2cNLxBM

enjoy :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #1829
    August 2010
    731 Posts

That's really awesome! Great work!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #1830
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts

This video i made proves one thing, i cant write/plot storyline for sh**. The sound effect also kinda sux...

Holy balls. How do you parent objects like weapons to models?

31. Post #1831
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts

Impressive lad, VERY impressive.

Holy balls. How do you parent objects like weapons to models?
    Someone hit on this recently. Body group name is... sorry, I forget.
    (Perhaps our friend arrow there could refresh me)

32. Post #1832

October 2009
    23 Posts
    well....everything was done in MotionBuilder, eg animating, bone parenting(like how the hand is holding the weapon) and even the time warp(the slow-mo shot you may have noticed).
    So basically i have the least things to do in SFM, i bet you can tell that i havent even done a whole lot about the facial expression/lip sync stuff.

33. Post #1833
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts
    Do you have to bring the weapons into Motion Builder too? Or like, what exactly do you have to do? Mind explaining a bit further how you do this?

34. Post #1834
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    13,718 Posts

awesome. super awesome. epicly awesome.

it has 211 likes, and 0 dislikes. AWESOME!

35. Post #1835

October 2009
    23 Posts
    Do you have to bring the weapons into Motion Builder too? Or like, what exactly do you have to do? Mind explaining a bit further how you do this?
    You may have a better understanding if i post the bone hierarchy of the character (lets just talk about the engineer here). This is the header of the smd:

version 1
    nodes
    0 "Fbx_Root" -1
    1 "valve_engie_MB_meetTheCowboy_[main]" 0
    2 "bip_pelvis" 1
    3 "bip_hip_R" 2
    4 "bip_knee_R" 3
    5 "bip_foot_R" 4
    6 "bip_toe_R" 5
    7 "bip_spine_0" 2
    8 "bip_spine_1" 7
    9 "bip_spine_2" 8
    10 "bip_spine_3" 9
    11 "bip_neck" 10
    12 "bip_head" 11
    13 "prp_helmet" 12
    14 "cowboy_hat" 12
    15 "jnt_mask" 12
    16 "bip_collar_L" 10
    17 "bip_upperArm_L" 16
    18 "bip_lowerArm_L" 17
    19 "bip_hand_L" 18
    20 "bip_index_0_L" 19
    21 "bip_index_1_L" 20
    22 "bip_index_2_L" 21
    23 "weapon_bone_L" 19
    24 "bip_pinky_0_L" 19
    25 "bip_pinky_1_L" 24
    26 "bip_pinky_2_L" 25
    27 "bip_ring_0_L" 19
    28 "bip_ring_1_L" 27
    29 "bip_ring_2_L" 28
    30 "bip_thumb_0_L" 19
    31 "bip_thumb_1_L" 30
    32 "bip_thumb_2_L" 31
    33 "bip_middle_0_L" 19
    34 "bip_middle_1_L" 33
    35 "bip_middle_2_L" 34
    36 "bip_collar_R" 10
    37 "bip_upperArm_R" 36
    38 "bip_lowerArm_R" 37
    39 "bip_hand_R" 38
    40 "bip_thumb_0_R" 39
    41 "bip_thumb_1_R" 40
    42 "bip_thumb_2_R" 41
    43 "bip_index_0_R" 39
    44 "bip_index_1_R" 43
    45 "bip_index_2_R" 44
    46 "bip_middle_0_R" 39
    47 "bip_middle_1_R" 46
    48 "bip_middle_2_R" 47
    49 "bip_ring_0_R" 39
    50 "bip_ring_1_R" 49
    51 "bip_ring_2_R" 50
    52 "weapon_bone_1" 39
    53 "weapon_bone" 39
    54 "bip_pinky_0_R" 39
    55 "bip_pinky_1_R" 54
    56 "bip_pinky_2_R" 55
    57 "prp_starter" 39
    58 "guitar" 9
    59 "bip_hip_L" 2
    60 "bip_knee_L" 59
    61 "bip_foot_L" 60
    62 "bip_toe_L" 61
    63 "prp_cord" 2
    64 "prp_pouch" 2
    65 "prp_legPouch" 2
    66 "sentry_foot" 1
    67 "sentry_body" 66
    68 "sentry_neck" 67
    69 "sentry_head" 68
    70 "sentry_gunL" 67
    71 "sentry_gunR" 67
    72 "sentry_ammoBeltR1" 67
    73 "sentry_ammoBeltL1" 67
    74 "sentry_ammoBeltL0" 67
    75 "sentry_ammoBeltR0" 67
    76 "pistol" 1
    77 "shotgun" 1
    78 "shotgun_forestock" 77
    end

So this is what i started with, i modified the model just to get the animation to work in SFM. I added the guitar, pistol, shotgun, sentry and their relevant bones onto the engie model. So yeah, the weapons(shotgun etc) are part of the body. In other words, such model, the engineer, needs to be recompiled. Finally, you know better that animation software like MB shouldnt have problem parenting a weapon bone to the hand :P

36. Post #1836
    October 2010
    82 Posts
    So yeah, the weapons(shotgun etc) are part of the body. In other words, such model, the engineer, needs to be recompiled.
    That is terribly inefficient, to be honest. Considering Motionbuilder is a professional animation software used by a lot of animators, I doubt it lacks dynamic IK capabilities. It's out there; probably just overly difficult to find!

Anyway, the method I've been using is recompiling the weapon/attached models themselves, with the animation. So each model is its own actor, kind of. A video is worth a thousand words:

Do you think you could apply this to SFM?

37. Post #1837

October 2009
    23 Posts
    That is terribly inefficient, to be honest. Considering Motionbuilder is a professional animation software used by.......

"I did all i could..."
    :P

Do you think you could apply this to SFM?
    is that gmod? i have no idea how the author made that work, all i know is that "He does it his way and i do it my way :DDD." TBH, i really have the least things to do in SFM, everything is pre-set/pre-done/pre-animated/pre-"attached/parented" before it even hits the engine.

38. Post #1838
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Hmm... I'm trying to import a Left 4 Dead model into Maya 2011... but all the files and decompiled files keep giving me the bone structure and nothing else... I assume I'm just doing something wrong, but what do I do, then?

39. Post #1839
    Ninja101 is m̶y̶ ̶f̶a̶v̶o̶u̶r̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶ a pancake face
    January 2010
    4,792 Posts
    -Snipelet-

Friends going to do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

40. Post #1840
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    872 Posts
    Help! I launch SFM but the mini screen where the camera is meant to show is black all the time, I try moving it around and create new cameras, but it is always black, both the active and work camera :(
    Anyone know if i've done anything wrong?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events