1. Post #2001
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    To reiterate the question.
    I'm intending to render a scene that is shown through a puppet's point of view (a first person perspective of myself).
    However, additional puppets (recordings of myself multiple times over) appear as nothing more than the weapon the puppet is carrying; world models.
    For example a soldier is displayed as a rocket launcher suspended at shoulder height. I'm asking if there is any method of preventing this, such as configuring particular settings perhaps, to allow the scene to be rendered through a puppet's point of view without the effect being destroyed.
    At the time another question came to me in regards to a puppet's corresponding camera. That side question I mentioned isn't of priority and can be dismissed for the time being. I'd like to think this clarifies details, although if it doesn't please elaborate on how I may do so.
    Thanks.
    My only suggestion would be to try recording in third person and then when you want to record from the first person perspective, do so.

If your original comment was saying "new takes overwrite my old camera shots/pans/etc" then I must point out it's an accurate assessment and that you should record in first person when you've set up the rest of your scene.

Just set the scene to half speed get your camera angles/movements, create an animation set for the newest camera, switch to active camera, and then smooth the camera's track when it seems rough.

Hope that helps.

Be nice to have a Medic model with the glasses as a bodygroup as opposed to being glued to his fucking face... also with real lenses.
    Working on this myself to see if it's possible, I'll let anyone interested in on the results when I figure out if it's possible or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #2002
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2011
    11,899 Posts
    Anyone found a way to make custom animations yet? Because I haven't been able to since Valve broke the DMX export plugins back in October.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

3. Post #2003
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    5,362 Posts
    does anyone have a new-er program for converting vtf's and map files so they can work in SFM?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

4. Post #2004
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    Anyone found a way to make custom animations yet? Because I haven't been able to since Valve broke the DMX export plugins back in October.
    While not as potent as Maya, 3DS, or what have you: you could try to utilize the built in animator.

does anyone have a new-er program for converting vtf's and map files so they can work in SFM?
    Is there something wrong with the old method? It still works for me.

5. Post #2005
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    5,362 Posts
    While not as potent as Maya, 3DS, or what have you: you could try to utilize the built in animator.

Is there something wrong with the old method? It still works for me.
    The python script complains about being unable to write files to my directory.

Edited:

I fixed it, but does anyone know how to move props horizontal/verticaly?
    I spawn a model, but its half buried in the ground.

6. Post #2006
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    The python script complains about being unable to write files to my directory.

Edited:

I fixed it, but does anyone know how to move props horizontal/verticaly?
    I spawn a model, but its half buried in the ground.
    I could only suggest fixing it in post with an animation set or adjusting the maps to your liking in Hammer as I do.

7. Post #2007
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2011
    11,899 Posts
    But 3DS Max doesn't have any DMX export scripts, which is what made custom animations possible in Maya.

8. Post #2008
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    But 3DS Max doesn't have any DMX export scripts, which is what made custom animations possible in Maya.
    No I mean use SFM's built-in animator. It's not as versatile as 3DS or Maya, but it's there.

9. Post #2009
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2011
    11,899 Posts
    No I mean use SFM's built-in animator. It's not as versatile as 3DS or Maya, but it's there.
    And it's terrible.

10. Post #2010
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    5,362 Posts
    Dont suppose you guys know why my model appears 100% fine in Actbusy, but appears all black ingame, do ya?

11. Post #2011
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    And it's terrible.
    Dont suppose you guys know why my model appears 100% fine in Actbusy, but appears all black ingame, do ya?
    That would be jarate's fault.

Go to the .vmt and remove all occurrences of "$yellow" .

12. Post #2012
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    5,362 Posts
    That would be jarate's fault.

Go to the .vmt and remove all occurrences of "$yellow" .
    I already did that

my model appears 100% fine in Actbusy, but appears all black ingame

13. Post #2013
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    I already did that
    Never heard of Actbusy.

14. Post #2014
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    5,362 Posts
    Well, i fixed it, but i want to remove a model, and i'm having problems with it, i tried using an animation sequence to simply hide it, but is there an easier way?

Edited:

and is there a way to import an animation from a mdl?

15. Post #2015
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    Well, i fixed it, but i want to remove a model, and i'm having problems with it, i tried using an animation sequence to simply hide it, but is there an easier way?
    Try going into the DME Editor and follow the paths:
    clipBin->Sequence->subClipTrackGroup->tracks->->film->{name of clip "shot" by default then "clip1", "clip2",etc as you add more to the timeline}-->scene-->children-->{take number}-->children-->

At this point you'll see:
    +Cameras
    +player_{your Steam name here}
    +Game Models
    +Brush Models

Check under "Game models" for what you want to remove and simply delete it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

16. Post #2016
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,227 Posts
    :( I really want SFM. I found the tools but can't find a download for the old tf2 beta :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

17. Post #2017
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    :( I really want SFM. I found the tools but can't find a download for the old tf2 beta :(
    And technically no one here can tell you where to find it.

18. Post #2018
    May 2007
    35 Posts
    Not sure if anyone here can help me with this, but I'm running out of places to ask since I've been looking for a solution for days now.

I've got the 2007 beta installed, I patched it with the appropriate files, I added the Filmmaker bin files, and then I made a shortcut with the correct launch parameters. Yet every time I try to run the shortcut, the only thing that happens is a window quickly opens and closes.

I've seen a few people with the same issue, who have somehow fixed their problem, but they never say how and never have a way to contact them. I'm at a total loss.

19. Post #2019
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,223 Posts
    anyone happen to know how to slap the hats and misc items on in sfm? :L

20. Post #2020
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    anyone happen to know how to slap the hats and misc items on in sfm? :L
    Spawn the prop, name it, make it not clip, and then parent it to the player. You'll have to adjust it in post using the animation set editor though.

More specifically Google and this thread are your friends:
    ANIMATING A PROP
    0. Type in console 'listmodels' if you do not know the file locations. Not all custom models will come up.
    1. To create a prop, type 'prop_dynamic_create X' (x for the pyro would be player/pyro)
    2. While looking at the model, type in console 'ent_setname name' Name can be anything)
    3. Type 'ent_fire name setanimation X', X being the name of the animation sequence (like 'ent_fire name setanimation taunt06')
    4. Type 'ent_fire name setdefaultanimation x', x being the animation you want the model to return to after you do step 3.
    OPTIONAL: If you want to change the skin of the model, type 'ent_fire name skin <number>', the number being the number of the skin. BLU Pyro would be 'ent_fire

PARENTING:
    1. To name yourself, type 'ent_fire !self addoutput "targetname me"' (you can change me to anything, but me is the easiest and shortest)
    2. To actually parent the prop to yourself, type 'ent_fire name setparent me'. If you want to attach the prop to another prop, replace me with the name of the parent prop.
    3. This is an important step if you are parenting to yourself. 'ent_fire name disablecollision' This will make the prop not collide with you. If you do not do this, you will not be able to move.
    4. This is another important step. 'ent_fire name setparentattachment attachment X' Look at Source SDK, in the tab for 'attachments', on the left column you can see what you can set the attachment for the parent. For TF2 models, the attachments are 'head', 'flag', and 'partyhat'. If you do not do this, the prop will just be attached to you in whatever angle you were in while you parented it.

I hope this is more informative.

21. Post #2021
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,223 Posts
    alright. also, any way to make a sentry shoot others? i can't seem to figure it out since i only have one person :L

22. Post #2022
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    alright. also, any way to make a sentry shoot others? i can't seem to figure it out since i only have one person :L
    Use bots.

23. Post #2023

May 2009
    13 Posts
    do you know how to make the demo lips not be gay?
    if i reopen a file with demoman lip movements, it only moves his jaw, not his lips.

kinda like select loading... its really dumb and it doesnt let you open them either! it locks the lips...

24. Post #2024
    :thinking:
    March 2010
    11,257 Posts
    do you know how to make the demo lips not be gay?
    if i reopen a file with demoman lip movements, it only moves his jaw, not his lips.

kinda like select loading... its really dumb and it doesnt let you open them either! it locks the lips...
    Make sure you don't record with HWM models. They can screw up badly.
    I didn't even change anything when I done this:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #2025

May 2009
    13 Posts
    but then whats the purpose of
    mp_usehwmmodels 1
    and
    mp_usehwmvcds 1

26. Post #2026
    :thinking:
    March 2010
    11,257 Posts
    Well, just leave them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events

27. Post #2027
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    but then whats the purpose of
    mp_usehwmmodels 1
    and
    mp_usehwmvcds 1
    Higher quality facial flexes: i.e more emotional range and better lip sync.

28. Post #2028
    June 2008
    340 Posts
    Guys I need help. Two things are really stopping me from making films.

Number one: Sometimes it will not let me change my class no matter what I do, forcing me to re-load the map it fix it. Like I can change class when first starting it up, but then it just wont let me after that.

And number two: When I screw up a recording, I have to re-load the map. Like I have no clue how to get rid of the sequence or whatever I just filmed. Like lets just say I flm a heavy jumping, but then I fall off something which I did not want to do. How do I get rid of that recording? I'm sure there's a way to fix it, but I don't know how to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

29. Post #2029
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    473 Posts
    And number two: When I screw up a recording, I have to re-load the map. Like I have no clue how to get rid of the sequence or whatever I just filmed. Like lets just say I film a heavy jumping, but then I fall off something which I did not want to do. How do I get rid of that recording? I'm sure there's a way to fix it, but I don't know how to.
    I haven't used SFM in a ridiculously long time, but I think I recall a way to somewhat solve this
    Right click on the timeline and choose zoom in, and uncheck the most recent take (or whatever take needs to be disabled)

It doesn't exactly remove the puppet from it's start location, but it does stop it from playing out, so it won't move around the map
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #2030

May 2009
    13 Posts
    Higher quality facial flexes: i.e more emotional range and better lip sync.
    but then how do you load it?
    for the medic it works fine.... but i tried it with the demo, and scout and it locks the lips...

for the medic i remember doing something and it "reset" the medics and and unlocked them.... if only i could remember for the scout and demo.....

and halp?

31. Post #2031
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    but then how do you load it?
    for the medic it works fine.... but i tried it with the demo, and scout and it locks the lips...

for the medic i remember doing something and it "reset" the medics and and unlocked them.... if only i could remember for the scout and demo.....

and halp?
    Open console "mp_usehwmmodels 1" and "mp_usehwmvcds 1".

Seriously that's all there should be to it.

32. Post #2032
    June 2008
    340 Posts
    I have another question, how do I get rid of weapons? Like the floating weapons when you try to do taunts, or film.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

33. Post #2033
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    I have another question, how do I get rid of weapons? Like the floating weapons when you try to do taunts, or film.
    Delete them or add an animation set to them for the duration of the taunt that immediately moves them somewhere out of sight then pops them back into place at the end.

34. Post #2034

May 2009
    13 Posts
    geez another question....
    after spawning a prop (prop_dynamic_create weapon/w_models/w_builder.mdl)

and after creating it and having it be in a clip, i try and animate it but there is no "line" of animation i can manipulate, i can only move it and have it be stationary.

is there a way to create one?

35. Post #2035
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,027 Posts
    there is no "line" of animation i can manipulate
    Not sure I understand this.

36. Post #2036

May 2009
    13 Posts
    http://i.imgur.com/kzE9g.jpg
    those lines, how do i make new ones on a prop that doesnt have them?