1. Post #281
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,529 Posts
    Wasn't there a wiki that went down? And a blog which stopped updating / only posted large tutorials?

Either way, yes, we need a wiki. I'm reading through the entire original thread now (halfway through) and finding some tips I hadn't seen yet, as well as plenty of videos that don't show up easily to youtube searches. Even just a Wikia section would do, right?
    Yeah, the community that hosted the SFM wiki suddenly died.

I'll create a wikia for it.

Edited:

http://sourcefilmmaker.wikia.com/wik...Filmmaker_Wiki

I'll start a bulk of the work tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

2. Post #282
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,379 Posts
    I'll help with it too, I'm starting to become a large contributor to SFM so I guess it's kinda maybe probably my duty to help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

3. Post #283
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    Sounds good, I could contribute here and there

Edited:

also, Anyone know why the hwm models faces are messed up?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #284
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,644 Posts
    Hey, My SFM won't launch.

I downloaded the beta and it used to work, but it was a long time ago. So now i want to do some SFM videos again but it wont launch.

I did everything by the instructions and patched it with everything the torrent came with, but when i try to launch it it just flashes for a second and quits.

I got Windows 7 if that might be the problem?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Lithuania Show Events

5. Post #285
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    Probably, I doubt the beta from 2007 works with windows 7

did you have it running on 7 before?

Edited:

Anyone know why the hwm models faces are messed up?

any way to fix it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

6. Post #286
    October 2006
    12 Posts
    Sounds good, I could contribute here and there

Edited:

also, Anyone know why the hwm models faces are messed up?
    Make an animation set on the model that the face is messed up on, fixes it for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #287
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    one more thing i need

the fire texture fix
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #288
    December 2009
    47 Posts
    Yeah, the community that hosted the SFM wiki suddenly died.

I'll create a wikia for it.

Edited:

http://sourcefilmmaker.wikia.com/wik...Filmmaker_Wiki

I'll start a bulk of the work tomorrow.
    Gonna contribute all bug as well! I jus' Luv Contributing to the Community!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete India Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #289
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    I added a link'ity link to the etf2 page

10. Post #290
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,379 Posts
    Swampie, I already had a tutorial right there, the link isn't needed anymore.

11. Post #291
    December 2009
    47 Posts
    Hey, My SFM won't launch.

I downloaded the beta and it used to work, but it was a long time ago. So now i want to do some SFM videos again but it wont launch.

I did everything by the instructions and patched it with everything the torrent came with, but when i try to launch it it just flashes for a second and quits.

I got Windows 7 if that might be the problem?
    No it has nothing to do with Windows 7. I have it running perfectly on my Windows 7 machine with barely any bugs except for a few memory crashes here and there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. India Show Events

12. Post #292
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    Swampie, I already had a tutorial right there, the link isn't needed anymore.
    oh

ok then

:emo:

Edited:

But that has the link to the beta

Edited:

Can i make the wiki logo thing?

13. Post #293
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,644 Posts
    No it has nothing to do with Windows 7. I have it running perfectly on my Windows 7 machine with barely any bugs except for a few memory crashes here and there.

Phew..

But still the problem remains :C
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Lithuania Show Events

14. Post #294
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    I'll also chime in that it's running fine on Windows 7 for me. The only Source-related product that won't run (at all) for me is Faceposer.

Also, I'm at page 47 of the last thread and I've got over 20 tabs opened with posts that have tips/tutorials. I think I'll edit the wikia Tips & Tricks page with some of these in a few minutes.

15. Post #295
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts

didn't look as good as i wanted

Edited:

Ok, I going to create a page on fixes and other stuff you need

Edited:

http://sourcefilmmaker.wikia.com/wik...d_other_things

16. Post #296
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,379 Posts

nope
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

17. Post #297
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts

18. Post #298
    December 2009
    47 Posts
    Ok phew just finished an entire page of how to add Legit Tf2 maps along with Metroid48's scripts. Dont worry Metroid48, I have given you the credits for the scipts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. India Show Events

19. Post #299
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts

20. Post #300
    December 2009
    47 Posts
    http://sourcefilmmaker.wikia.com/wik...nd_other_thing is looking great!!! i feel so proud of myself and everyone else contributing to this wikia! :D

EDIT : Fixed the homepage so that the link to fixes n things directly links to http://sourcefilmmaker.wikia.com/wik...d_other_things

21. Post #301
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    http://sourcefilmmaker.wikia.com/wik...d_other_things

Edited:

http://sourcefilmmaker.wikia.com/wik...nd_other_thing is looking great!!! i feel so proud of myself and everyone else contributing to this wikia! :D

EDIT : Fixed the homepage so that the link to fixes n things directly links to http://sourcefilmmaker.wikia.com/wik...d_other_things
    awesome, Thanks

if we keep it all in one page, It neater and eaiser

22. Post #302
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,007 Posts
    Added Redirect from other Tips page.

Also, so far I've pulled 25 posts from the old topic (~10 more to go), but I'm finding a lot of the info is being added to the wiki by swampie & co! I'm going to wait until the wiki editing dies down before I add anything.

23. Post #303
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    I didn't do much

just 10 mins of copy / paste

24. Post #304
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,675 Posts
    Quick question, I rendered my video as .tga files, after that, what do I do to compress them to 1, and add the .wav file?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

25. Post #305
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    I use avi, Because i don't know what tga is or does

26. Post #306
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,675 Posts
    tga is basically taking screenshots of each frame, but when you put them together, they make the video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

27. Post #307
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    Jesus

that will take forever

28. Post #308
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,962 Posts
    The .tga method is probably the more resource-using, longer, and more pain-staking route to take.

What you need to do is get a program like VirtualDub or the like and combine all the .tga files into one movie clip, and add in the .wav file as audio.

29. Post #309
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,675 Posts
    Jesus

that will take forever
    Nah, I made like a 20 second film, only took about 8 minutes or so.

30. Post #310
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,379 Posts
    Uh, you drag the first .tga into virtualdub and it detects the rest due to the numbers. Then, go to the audio tab at the top and use audio from other file, pick the .wav you exported. Then, set the framerate at the video tab accordingly, and pick a compression codec at the video tab as well. Then, go to file and save as .avi

31. Post #311
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,675 Posts
    The .tga method is probably the more resource-using, longer, and more pain-staking route to take.

What you need to do is get a program like VirtualDub or the like and combine all the .tga files into one movie clip, and add in the .wav file as audio.
    Uh, you drag the first .tga into virtualdub and it detects the rest due to the numbers. Then, go to the audio tab at the top and use audio from other file, pick the .wav you exported. Then, set the framerate at the video tab accordingly, and pick a compression codec at the video tab as well. Then, go to file and save as .avi
    I'm using VirtualDub now, but when I select a program to compress, nothing happens. Is there a certain compression codec I need?

32. Post #312
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,379 Posts
    Whenever you select the codec and hit OK, it compresses the video using that codec AS you save the .avi, not immediately.

I recommend the XVid codec, very good quality and very good compression, as well.

33. Post #313
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,675 Posts
    Whenever you select the codec and hit OK, it compresses the video using that codec AS you save the .avi, not immediately.

I recommend the XVid codec, very good quality and very good compression, as well.
    Ah, I feel like an idiot now.

Thanks anyways.

34. Post #314
    October 2006
    12 Posts

The TGA method is far superior, it uses less resorces because it isn't having to compress, it allows you to easily edit for example a frame, and it isn't hard at all to render it.

35. Post #315
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,675 Posts

Yeah, first SFM video, wasn't aiming for anything super serious.
    :razz:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #316
    April 2009
    1,750 Posts
    So the character models on 3ds max

Soldier's helmet traps have bones
    Scout's mic has a bone

:V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

37. Post #317
    I watched a stream of a video game so that means I'm an authority on it!
    Dennab
    May 2007
    7,377 Posts
    Im streaming right now again.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hoodedsniper

38. Post #318
    October 2009
    783 Posts

:byodood: OVERTIME

Anyways, anybody have any idea why this happened? I just got it agian, but this time with 300% and -500 seconds!

39. Post #319
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,529 Posts
    Wow you guys added a lot over the last 10 hours :)

40. Post #320
    December 2009
    47 Posts
    Hmmm... I have a problem.... Why are my wires in wireframe?