1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,927 Posts
    If you've already read the other thread - what was the shortcut for adjusting the camera's focal point and the autofocus one?

I was going to come back here to ask a question but the thread seems to have nuked so here's a new one. Forgive me if I don't do it justice.

(the old thread is at http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?p=21574060. There's not a lot to be said. I don't particularly trust the video tutorials there.)

What can the Source Filmmaker do
    It can record puppets multiple times over, manipulate clips and their cameras, manipulate objects, their bones (and they're just offset, so they move with the player!), and interp all of those settings and more in different ways, you can add SFX... it's all in the DME and animation set editor.

On a higher level you can view your clips in terms of "tracks"... these are seperate tracks for sounds, recorded puppets, and effects usually corresponding to each track. And that's how puppets fit into everything.

When you're done you can then record to video or make a fancy poster. You can do some rudimentary stitching together of clips and fade in/out, but nothing more.

How do I get it to work?
    You'll need a copy of the first multiplayer beta, a copy of of the source tools for TF2 and a patch so that Steam doesn't say "wait, that's an ancient client...". Put the source tools in the top-level /bin folder, patch, start up with -tools.

Where is the collective knowledge
    In the earlier thread. There's no search and you'll have to wade through and down false paths.
    But it's a wonderful record and it's one I'm proud of.

There is a burgeoning wiki you may wish to contribute to at http://sourcefilmmaker.wikia.com/ .

Darkomni posted:
    Would you mind updating the OP with all the recently discovered info? Keep your patience, it's a bit.
    Sure. In this thread people have discovered/recreated:
    [list][*] A wonderful tool to fix up textures and packed cubemaps + textures so that they work in the beta[*] How to use a flashlight[*] The Manipulate Tool records if the clip is playing[*] Someone rediscovering colour correction[*] Something inbetween here[*] How to import animations from Maya[*] Holy crap HWM models give you phonemes instead of oohs and aahs and afraids and smiles.[/list]It's a different bunch of people and I wish them well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Thailand Show Events Informative Informative x 18Winner Winner x 3 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,943 Posts
    Abiut time someone made a new thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 8Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 8Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,828 Posts
    No-One ever told me where i can get the film-maker and the beta?

have i lost my chance?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #4
    Zar
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    4,276 Posts
    i want that but i dont have the beta
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,784 Posts

Made this with SFM. Mostly as a test.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 37Informative Informative x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,828 Posts

have i lost my chance?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,484 Posts
    when i saw the thread name, i tought it was Sauce Fun Maker
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Venezuela Show Events Funny Funny x 9Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,784 Posts

have i lost my chance?
    It would be illegal to tell you how to get it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,828 Posts
    Oh

Ok then

Edited:

What about the beta?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11 (list)

10. Post #10
    December 2009
    59 Posts
    The beta is illegal to get after what I've heard. I have Source Filmmaker, but it would be illegal to tell you exactly how to get it.

(I don't really use it, rendering doesn't work for me.)

Google is the only thing I'm gonna say, but it help alot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,828 Posts
    Meh...

12. Post #12
    I'll Go all tadpole on you
    June 2005
    1,170 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 33 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,897 Posts
    It sucks that SFM is pretty much illegal to get unless you got the tools legally. I've been dying to try it out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,519 Posts
    Stupid thing still crashes for me if I use more than 10 or so actors. It really limits what I can do with it :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    April 2009
    1,749 Posts
    when i saw the thread name, i tought it was Sauce Fun Maker
    But I already made the second one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

16. Post #16
    May 2009
    13,027 Posts
    It sucks that SFM is pretty much illegal to get unless you got the tools legally.
    Well, if I got the tools legally ofcourse it wouldn't be illegal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,828 Posts
    Is the beta illegal?

this thread is full of warez

Edited:

Not realy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,897 Posts
    Well, if I got the tools legally ofcourse it wouldn't be illegal.
    Thing is, you can't get it legally, can you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

19. Post #19
    May 2009
    986 Posts
    I'm curious, does the leaked version of SFM support dynamic shadows/self-shadowing? I was watching Meet the Spy the other day and noticed the lighting system is much better than in-game, same with Meet the Scout. But the earliest Meet the Team videos don't have that effect. I'm not sure whether it's because they don't have such dramatic lighting or because Valve updated the cinematic Source engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,371 Posts
    I'm curious, does the leaked version of SFM support dynamic shadows/self-shadowing? I was watching Meet the Spy the other day and noticed the lighting system is much better than in-game, same with Meet the Scout. But the earliest Meet the Team videos don't have that effect. I'm not sure whether it's because they don't have such dramatic lighting or because Valve updated the cinematic Source engine.

-snip-, i did find out how to use dynamic light later in the thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,828 Posts
    So

All those videos are illegal

why wouldn't valve give it to us?

the fuck is wrong with dem guys?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,371 Posts
    So

All those videos are illegal

why wouldn't valve give it to us?

the fuck is wrong with dem guys?
    Technically, they're not illegal since we have no proof that they downloaded the tf2 beta illegally, it's completely possible that they just backed up the tf2 beta gcf's. Common sense would tell you otherwise, but common sense isn't something you can use to back up arguements in this terrible world.

Valve is going to wait until they finish all of the meet the team videos before they give us the SFM, as I've been told by many generations of facepunchers. I've never actually seen where they said this, but I'm trusting that everybody knows what the hell they're talking about (which they probably don't(and technically since i'm denying it in the same post that i said i wasn't i'm a hypocrite)).

So yeah, let's hope they release the full version with all the beautiful features like dynamic shadowing once the MTT videos are all finished and out!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,651 Posts
    I don't think it's really illegal as long as you own TF2. If it was illegal to use SFM then it'd be illegal to use it with a backed up TF2 beta too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,828 Posts
    The only reason i don't open up Google and search is because i had to re-install windows 3 times because of viruses

:ohdear:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 30Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,651 Posts
    Tbh, you'll feel better if you wait till valve release the proper version.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,828 Posts
    yeah

But i want clones SOO BAD

Edited:

I would prefer this to the engi update

it would give me something to do until they gave us the update

Edited:

oh man

i feel all illegal

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,519 Posts
    There's not dynamic lighting or anything like that.

Everything kinda looks like Meet the Heavy and Soldier if done right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,828 Posts
    i can see however that the movements made by the community are rather glitchy

in the meet the vids, They are not

i am talking about making the players arms move
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,371 Posts
    There's not dynamic lighting or anything like that.

Everything kinda looks like Meet the Heavy and Soldier if done right.
    Panda, mind if I add you on steam? Refer to the youtube story thread if you want to know why.

Edited:

Valve makes the animations in maya, then imports to the SFM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    I'll Go all tadpole on you
    June 2005
    1,170 Posts
    ^
    |
    |
    What he said

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,828 Posts
    i get it

thanks

Edited:

just a question

if i build a sentry as a red engi, Then re-record as a blue scout, Will the sentry shoot me?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,519 Posts
    Panda, mind if I add you on steam? Refer to the youtube story thread if you want to know why.

Edited:

Valve makes the animations in maya, then imports to the SFM.
    sure
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,371 Posts
    i get it

thanks

Edited:

just a question

if i build a sentry as a red engi, Then re-record as a blue scout, Will the sentry shoot me?
    no

the recordings don't interact whatsoever with any future/past recordings.

this is why you need someone else to film with you for DIRECT player-to-player interaction.

Edited:

since nobody seems to be wanting to post in my youtube series thread (or read it) i'll put the low quality poster riiiiiiiiiight here.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,587 Posts

If you spend enough time on them you can get them to look alright.
    I worked a little on re-creating the original TF2 trailer.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1650946/Meet%20the%20Team_2.mp4
    You can see the Spy animation in there. It's done completely in SFM. Tbh it's extremely annoying to work with, but when you smooth it out in the end it looks ok. The biggest trouble i had making that Spy animation was fitting the revolver to his hand as it's a model for itself thus not sticking to the hand when animating.

I spent a day on that entire thing, but i've kinda put it on hold cause i'm working on another video already. If i get enough requests i might start working on it...

Edited:

Here's a better look at the animation
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1650946/Spy%20Animation_1.mp4

Edited:

i know the cutouts suck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,346 Posts
    I was into SFM when it was first discovered on facepunch.

I was the first one to do the stretchy head thing   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 25Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,875 Posts
    Amazing Sleeping scout.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    13,902 Posts
    The Odd Scout is the most over-rated SFM series ever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 20Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Exp
    March 2010
    518 Posts
    The Odd Scout is the most over-rated SFM series ever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    December 2009
    1,302 Posts
    I was into SFM when it was first discovered on facepunch.

View YouTUBE video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i1FLjmKm16w

I was the first one to do the stretchy head thing   
    Haha, still remember that one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Netherlands Show Events

40. Post #40
    March 2009
    641 Posts
    Animations, text and links
    Fuck me, that is awesome!
    I remember ragequitting when the project i made crashed. Time to retry
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Norway Show Events