1. Post #41
    May 2010
    1 Posts
    how did you do the water and the fish? i'm trying to build a similar map to yours.

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    349 Posts
    The way I made the water surrounding the base involved a very, very complicated usage of custom water textures, skybox, brush geometry, and fog. I don't feel like explaining every bit of it right now, sorry lol. It would take several paragraphs.

As for the fish, they were simply little animated prop_dynamic's parented to a func_rotating.

3. Post #43
    April 2010
    98 Posts
    Hey I was going to try and make a big map for SGC clan's naval warfare, because the map they have now is really boring. I was going to do more under features like water caves and canyons etc. Do you want to help? It will take FOREVER by myself and im not that great with hammer. If you do we could take away the sea base, add some islands and caves and things because without the sea base you would be able to have a surface right? I might also try to make a new naval gamemode with another friend that would be pretty awesome. If you dont want to help can you give me the map to edit in hammer?

EDIT: just played the map it is the best gmod map ever no kidding! I got my sub and went around and its so good to made me feel sick! I still feel sick and wobbly lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply New Zealand Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Dance like it hurts, Love like you need money, Work when people are watching. ~Scott Adams
    December 2008
    711 Posts
    Very, very nice! Liking those shiny custom textures! =D Also, the inclusion of music and sounds really did it for me. Awesome. And it must be awesome by default, I mean, come on - it has kelp in it.

RED LADDER *runs off in Mirror's Edge madness*

Edit: On second glance, that looks like mutant oversized Canadian Pondweed. o.o

5. Post #45

November 2008
    50 Posts
    Here are some suggestions.

1. Go back to the old rock and sand texture.

2. Coral n stuff should be in tight groups in different spots, not spread out over a large area. Look at some real pictures of coral reefs if you must.

Thats it for now

6. Post #46
    June 2009
    10 Posts
    I think you should spread the textures a little more, it's kind of unattractive if you repeat a texture a lot.

In the little pool that you can jump into, I noticed that if some things are under the water, the part that is under the water disappears. So, for example, I toss in a prop I downloaded; whatever's underwater disappears until I go underwater. Then whatever's on the top of the water disappears.

It would be cool if there was a sea surface, but damn that Hammer.

I love the little pool in the second room that you can swim into if you're outside, and I love the airlock and pool, they were well-done. Make the floor a little less shiny, though. And the red area in the two rooms' connecting hallway is really bright. I'm like "AHH! MY EYES!". Not really, but you get the picture. It might just be my monitor, in your screenshot, it doesn't look that bright.

Yes, like I said at the top, repeat textures less, so the sea floor texture needs to be spread out a bit.

I adore the fact that you can pick what music you want! I picked the Sunken one.

I think you should split that second room (the one with the "tank") into two or three pieces and add a bedroom and maybe a decorative scuba room with scuba equipment. I don't know where you would get that, so if you don't want to go to the trouble with the second one, that's okay.

Add a little more sea life on the outside, not just in the "tank". That would be cool. If you can, maybe find a shark or something?

The airlock should fill up a little slower, as well. Right now, it's kind of like "Pull lever... AHH!".

I like the clarity of the water texture.

I agree with GmanMan, too. The coral and things should be in tight clusters, but the clusters are spread out. Maybe add a large coral reef, as well?

All in all, a fun map, needs some improvements, but I like it. I'm trying your Sea Lab now, because this was the first map of yours I downloaded.

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    Seems like there's no water overlay no more. It was there when I downloaded it before update... uuh, what was it... 79, I think, but it's not there any more.

8. Post #48
    September 2009
    48 Posts
    A few things

1 : I think this map is great, I enjoyed the last one and this one, I don't know what people mean by blocky but it they mean everything is cubed up with the base well that just makes it easier to build. Smoothed round surfaces look nice and all but they're shit to build against.

2: I have a problem with 2 areas of the map.
    The first part is the area inside the base to go into the water is black. when I go under it and look up it's black, like a black tarp has been put over it. The other problem is the cylentrical porthole with the fish is white, and I can't see through it. If I noclip into it It'll show the water and fish but again its like a white tarp covering the outside of the glass. No other glass has this problem. Another problem seems to be the floor, it just looks weird and reflects weird.

3: Some suggestions for future maps or updates, A way to completely close up the base. Ever play that submarine construction map with the sliding doors on the floor? It would be nice to have something like that. Also a way to darken the base by shutting all the windows with emergency locks?
    Another thing that would be great is more things on the inside. I know it's hard to construct outside because of the water but the inside is kind of big an opened spaced in areas it doesn't need to be. You should make walkways more like a tube inside a square, leaving the outside unchanged but the inside more clean and less "blocky". A more detailed airlock would be nice too.

9. Post #49
    January 2010
    438 Posts
    Though it's an awesome concept and looks well executed. It's a shame it's so ugly. As has been said before, the sand is repetetive, the base is blocky and really ugly from outside, the coral stuff colours are too bright imo and the sunken ship is really low detail and bland. So I hope the visuals will improve.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #50

April 2010
    23 Posts
    This map is awsome, so Would You Kindly make another one?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

11. Post #51
    July 2010
    3,632 Posts
    I think a night version of this map would be totally awesome. But the kelp is way to big. Anyways, it is still my favorite map.

12. Post #52
    October 2006
    84 Posts
    Funny, I just watched The Abyss.....

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    349 Posts
    A few things

1 : I think this map is great, I enjoyed the last one and this one, I don't know what people mean by blocky but it they mean everything is cubed up with the base well that just makes it easier to build. Smoothed round surfaces look nice and all but they're shit to build against.

2: I have a problem with 2 areas of the map.
    The first part is the area inside the base to go into the water is black. when I go under it and look up it's black, like a black tarp has been put over it. The other problem is the cylentrical porthole with the fish is white, and I can't see through it. If I noclip into it It'll show the water and fish but again its like a white tarp covering the outside of the glass. No other glass has this problem. Another problem seems to be the floor, it just looks weird and reflects weird.

3: Some suggestions for future maps or updates, A way to completely close up the base. Ever play that submarine construction map with the sliding doors on the floor? It would be nice to have something like that. Also a way to darken the base by shutting all the windows with emergency locks?
    Another thing that would be great is more things on the inside. I know it's hard to construct outside because of the water but the inside is kind of big an opened spaced in areas it doesn't need to be. You should make walkways more like a tube inside a square, leaving the outside unchanged but the inside more clean and less "blocky". A more detailed airlock would be nice too.
    Are you running the map in DirectX 8? running the map in DX8 causes the water glitches you described

but otherwise, thanks for the suggestions

14. Post #54
    July 2010
    1 Posts
    I <3 this map. I like the base, but as others said before it need moar inside. I especially love the music. :D

15. Post #55

September 2007
    4 Posts
    Some domes wouldn't hurt. And possibly a second colony on the other end of the map, for PvP.

Is there any way to make some parts of the colony flood when the windows break? Having certain sections be capable of "battle damage" would add a lot to gameplay.

A map like this also badly needs a drivable mini-sub entity, preferably with weapons, so players can dogfight.

(I've actually got a friend working on an underwater map, and the plan is to integrate those features into it. I've advised him to contact you to learn how you pulled off some of the tricks necessary for building underwater bases. I don't mean to impose, but it'd be awfully cool if you two could share notes.)

16. Post #56
    November 2007
    271 Posts
    Pretty amazing. Will it ever reach beta?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,644 Posts
    Pretty amazing. Will it ever reach beta?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 5 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    349 Posts
    Some domes wouldn't hurt. And possibly a second colony on the other end of the map, for PvP.

Is there any way to make some parts of the colony flood when the windows break? Having certain sections be capable of "battle damage" would add a lot to gameplay.

A map like this also badly needs a drivable mini-sub entity, preferably with weapons, so players can dogfight.

(I've actually got a friend working on an underwater map, and the plan is to integrate those features into it. I've advised him to contact you to learn how you pulled off some of the tricks necessary for building underwater bases. I don't mean to impose, but it'd be awfully cool if you two could share notes.)

yea i got a PM from him and im just waiting on him to respond. i'm working on a new version of the sealab series now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

19. Post #59
    I love My Cunt Oven
    August 2010
    3,930 Posts
    Nice bumps, guys....

EDIT: OP posted so nevermind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    Has volunteered for dissection because the doctor is cute
    May 2009
    20,015 Posts
    Is there a particular reason some textures show up white?

The round tube thing which has fish in it is white, and when you press the button to make the water in the room rise up, its white aswell.

Missing something?

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    349 Posts
    Is there a particular reason some textures show up white?

The round tube thing which has fish in it is white, and when you press the button to make the water in the room rise up, its white aswell.

Missing something?
    I tested the map in DirectX 8 mode one time, and i got white textures where there was supposed to be refraction. So, you must be running in Directx 8 mode for some reason

22. Post #62
    May 2009
    55 Posts

23. Post #63

March 2011
    11 Posts
    I loved your maps, but can I make a couple suggestions? Okay, first, we need more rooms. I would like to have a complex with a control room and stuff. Maybe some rooms that can be flooded (If possible of course) and nothing else crosses my mind at the moment.

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,147 Posts
    Gotta love that hint of January flavor, even in March

25. Post #65
    December 2010
    444 Posts
    January? are you in the southern hemisphere?

26. Post #66

March 2011
    11 Posts
    Up here in January, you can take a piss and the piss sometimes freezes before it hits the ground. Then you discover that it can be used as a weapon and you piss at a tree and it looks hilarious because it's like an icicle sticking out the side of the tree with a bunch of little branches flying off.

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,830 Posts
    Does anyone happen to get invisible wall glitches? I haven't touched anything in my garrysmod/garrysmod folder in a long, so I have no idea what could have happened. Is it related to the recent Gmod updates?

28. Post #68
    April 2009
    2,323 Posts
    I think thats glass. -_-

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,830 Posts
    I think thats glass. -_-
    You should try looking a little closer to the pictures. It is not about the glass. It is about things not being rendered or what ever the appropriate term is for this case. In the first picture, you are supposed to see fish and seaweed, but it is only visible if your inside the water and not when your inside the base. The other two pictures show that sides of the base are invisible when they should not be.

30. Post #70
    March 2009
    92 Posts
    You should try looking a little closer to the pictures. It is not about the glass. It is about things not being rendered or what ever the appropriate term is for this case. In the first picture, you are supposed to see fish and seaweed, but it is only visible if your inside the water and not when your inside the base. The other two pictures show that sides of the base are invisible when they should not be.
    I'm having this problem, too. It would be nice to find a fix for it.

31. Post #71

January 2012
    3 Posts
    can someone give me the download link to his other maps plz?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #72

January 2012
    3 Posts
    WHAT IS THE DOWNLOAD LINK TO HIS FIRST ONE!!!!!?????
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #73
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,127 Posts
    Nobody is going to help you if you act like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    There is this wonderful thing on the internet. It is called a "search engine". People will use this "search engine" to locate things by way of "keywords".

35. Post #75
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    7,489 Posts
    Wow, I can't believe I share a country with this jerk off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #76
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Wow, I can't believe I share a country with this jerk off.
    He uses ie as well...

Any englishman that still uses ie should be herded off brighton pier.

37. Post #77

January 2012
    3 Posts
    anyone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)