1. Post #1

Galactic Sagas is a completely custom Garry's Mod online roleplaying game. It features a dynamic profession system, incredibly deep character customization, missions, attributes, thousands of items, crafting, housing, and much more. It is a dynamic, living, breathing Star Wars world comparable to Star Wars Galaxies circa 2003 in gameplay. The gamemode was originally started in 2010 and garnered the attention of thousands of Garry's Mod players before later being halted due to time constraints. As of August 2013, it has resumed work and has undergone a total revamp to create an even better Star Wars sandbox experience.

This is not some crap Dark RP Edit. Thousands upon thousands of hours have been put into art, coding, writing, sound, and gameplay design to ensure this is a Garry's Mod experience like none other. Players of Star Wars: Galaxies will no-doubt find more than a few similarities, as that game has strongly influenced my design. I also want to note that every feature described here is not 'an idea.' If it's listed here, it's already done and functioning.

Current Features:

Sandbox-Style Gameplay. Interact with and explore the Star Wars world with a compelling storyline and immersive universe.

Over 25 unique professions to mix and match to build your character. Earn experience through your actions and build your character into exactly what you want them to be. From a gun-slinging Smuggler, to an Imperial Doctor, to a galaxy renowned Chef - There's a virtually unlimited number of combinations. Play how you want.

An extensive and in-depth crafting system and meta-game, allowing players to assemble, experiment on, and even add sockets to weapons, foods, stimpacks, armor, clothing, and much more!

A dynamic item system, meaning a literally infinite amount of unique items, both crafted by players, looted from enemies, and rewarded from missions and events.

Fight against authentic Star Wars foes including battle droids, tusken raiders, feral wookiees, and dozens of other creatures. Join a faction to take part in the emerging Galactic Civil War. The AI system is completely custom and uses the new NextBot base, allowing for smarter and more interactive NPC's than ever before.

Persistent player-owned housing, complete with furniture crafting, customization, and placement.

Team up with your friends with the Squad system, allowing you to coordinate your combat, mission, and even musical efforts.

Hundreds of custom abilities and buffs, ensuring an engaging combat experience every time.

Completely Customized World. You won't see any citizens, rebels, combine, or anything of that sort. It looks and feels as a Star Wars universe should.

Travel across many planets along your journeys, including Tatooine, Naboo, and Kashyyyk, each complete with their own storylines, missions, events, and enemies, and all of them linked through an in-game shuttle system ensuring you never have to server-hop.

A robust player economy. 99% of the items, weapons, and armor you'll be using are made from player crafters, with a truly player-managed economy through the Galactic Bazaar.

The game takes place immediately following the formation of the Galactic Empire (Star Wars: Episode III). While the Clone Wars are officially over, renegade groups from both sides are still engaged in conflicts. A small Rebellion is attempting to form their roots to overthrow the new Empire, as tensions and suspicions rise over the new dictatorship. With the Galaxy in the middle of crisis, how will you make your mark on it? Your actions have a direct impact on the worlds you visit and their inhabitants. The galaxy is a large and dangerous place, but with dedication and skill you will craft your own Saga in it...

Video

12 minute early gameplay preview (August 2013)
    http://www.livestream.com/thebigs/vi...b-c77e035f65b5

Galactic Sagas has always had a wonderful community, and I'm currently working on ways to foster and build that community - currently the main communication hub is our official Steam group, which is nearly 300 members strong. Join it and watch the announcements for information on the latest updates as well as testing times. A dedicated website and forums are currently in development.

Official Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/galacticsagas

In order to provide a true Star Wars experience, true Star Wars assets are needed. Luckily for you, all of the content needed for Galactic Sagas is easily downloaded via the Steam Workshop collection! Just favorite the collection and subscribe to all, and the next time you open Garry's Mod, all of the content will download and update!

Workshop Collection: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=164330222

While I (The Big S) am the sole creator and developer of the Galactic Sagas gamemode, it wouldn't be anything without the help of so many talented mappers, riggers, modelers, and thinkers who I have had the privilege to work with or are currently working with on this. I want to make sure I give credit to everyone for their contributions, so if anyone thinks I've missed a name, please let me know!

The Big S - Coding
    Ardowalalin - Mapping
    LordTrilobite - Mapping
    ShotGunGuy - Modeling
    NicholasRay - Modeling
    Ryan7259 - Modeling
    ArcticOne - Modeling
    AIR - Particle Effects
    Grahf - Content Development
    Mandalore - Content Development
    Fowah - Content Development

Polkm - (Learned so much about LUA through reverse engineering his stuff)
    Slash (Mass Effect models)
    Snood (STALKER models)
    B4P (Jedi Knight II ports)
    Raven Software (Jedi Knight series)
    Kev Shiu (STALKER NPC's)
    Chibi (Lightsaber Pack)
    Super Nova (HK-47 model)
    ILM (Sounds)
    SOE (Art)
    Disney / Lucas Arts / Film (Star Wars)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Lua King x 23Artistic x 17Winner x 10Friendly x 5Dumb x 3Funny x 2Optimistic x 2Agree x 1Disagree x 1Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    November 2009
    1,962 Posts
    Interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny x 3Agree x 2Useful x 1Dumb x 1Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    May 2010
    501 Posts
    This is fucking awesome, can you add me to steam friends?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Schumacherusmc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    This is fucking awesome, can you add me to steam friends?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Schumacherusmc
    Thanks, and sure I'll toss you an invite. :)

--

Beta has been going on all through today and the server/game are very stable, not a single server or client error or crash!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5

August 2007
    550 Posts
    :O I love it. Keep up the good work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    May 2010
    501 Posts
    :O I love it. Keep up the good work.
    Best edit of underdone I've seen,

7. Post #7
    Thanks Polkm means alot to me, and thanks so much again for releasing such a valuable tool to learn from.

Beta News: Well, after being up for over 8 hours, we finally had our first server crash. Good news is that nothing was lost at all, so that was actually a good test in itself.

We've found a few bugs so that's good. We're also working on getting some additional content pack download mirrors going to fuel the demand. Thanks to everyone who's helping out and testing.

[11:00 PM EST - Apparently the site couldn't handle everyone trying to download, and it decided to die. I'll have multiple mirrors up tomorrow morning, and I apologize for the inconvenience. If anyone that has it feels like mirroring it, that's awesome.]

8. Post #8
    April 2010
    1,206 Posts
    I'm pretty sure alot of the icons you used in the script are property of Sony Online Entertainment. Never mind that though, this looks pretty good.

9. Post #9
    May 2010
    501 Posts
    Thanks Polkm means alot to me, and thanks so much again for releasing such a valuable tool to learn from.

Beta News: Well, after being up for over 8 hours, we finally had our first server crash. Good news is that nothing was lost at all, so that was actually a good test in itself.

We've found a few bugs so that's good. We're also working on getting some additional content pack download mirrors going to fuel the demand. Thanks to everyone who's helping out and testing.

[11:00 PM EST - Apparently the site couldn't handle everyone trying to download, and it decided to die. I'll have multiple mirrors up tomorrow morning, and I apologize for the inconvenience. If anyone that has it feels like mirroring it, that's awesome.]
    I'll get you a mirror set up on my website as soon as I can, like I said.

10. Post #10
    I'm pretty sure alot of the icons you used in the script are property of Sony Online Entertainment. Never mind that though, this looks pretty good.
    Woops, yes they are - Added them in the credits. Thanks.

Open Beta News:

Server was up when I went to bed and down when I woke up, so I'm not sure when throughout the night it went down. Not to worry though, I now have it on auto-restart so everything is automated now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

11. Post #11
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    3,992 Posts
    Awesome :aaa:

12. Post #12
    August 2009
    802 Posts
    Sweet!
    :gizz:
    Gonna try it out now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    CD drives eject stuff, my ass ejects stuff, therefore my ass must be a CD drive.
    July 2009
    4,586 Posts
    Nostalgia...

I loved SWG, do it justice.

14. Post #14
    Nostalgia...

I loved SWG, do it justice.
    I've played SWG off and on since 2003. Trust me, I shall!

15. Post #15
    June 2007
    459 Posts
    So is this RP-Based or more MMORPG-skill training and gold-mining kind of stuff?

I find it a little tedious to have to spend a few days making friends and waiting for money just to get in a little action.

16. Post #16
    This is MMORPG based, meaning you can hop right in the game and start progressing in whichever way you want. You can start venturing into the wilderness in search of ore and resources to sample, or stick around in town and play through some questlines, etc. It's sandbox-style gameplay, and a player driven economy, so you craft your own success however you want.

17. Post #17
    January 2009
    350 Posts
    Very fun. I have been playing in it alot.

18. Post #18

August 2007
    550 Posts
    I was playing this earlier tonight, and I have to say the star wars theme is really cool, hope you add more skills and weapons and what not :D.

19. Post #19
    Yeah I saw you guys playing when I was snooping over the rcon for a moment :P - Someone said it was just underdone with different models and some new crappy UI's -- while I'll admit my UI's are pretty terribad...well, I hope to prove him/her wrong if I haven't already.

Anyway, latest Beta News: We had a stress test in the afternoon with a pretty large battle throughout the city streets. Many a Rebel and Imperial lied dead in the sand, but it sure was fun!

I'm working on a patch that will fix all of the remaining bugs we've found, and also adds player titles. You can gain titles from completing certain quest chains, learning certain skill boxes, and many other ways (only skill boxes are in the game at the moment). You can then switch between titles via Q -> Character.

20. Post #20
    "Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace." - Y.K. Kim
    August 2009
    7,680 Posts
    I'm digging that third person camera, reminds me a lot of the old JK3 days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,527 Posts
    Oh doesn't this bring back some good memories. I wish you all the luck!

22. Post #22
    Oh doesn't this bring back some good memories. I wish you all the luck!
    Thanks - Just looked at that mod, that's pretty cool. You can definitely see they were a fan of Star Wars Galaxies Emu, even calling their updates "Cores" lol.

I held off on making a forum post like that until I had something for people to get on and play with - I didn't want to add too much suspense and then never produce a playable game (dont that before, feels like crap for all parties involved).

23. Post #23
    April 2009
    434 Posts
    Wow this looks amazing. the underdone base by far seemed like it made the whole starwars style mmo easier to code.
    Good work I hope it doesnt fall apart like my project did.
    : ) <3

24. Post #24

February 2009
    213 Posts
    You should improve the looting system, like it stays onto the corpse where you can then search it for the items besides them flying from the body.

Also, will their be like swords or power weapons, maybe even lightsabers?

25. Post #25
    Formerly Shotgunguy49
    July 2008
    4,464 Posts
    You should improve the looting system, like it stays onto the corpse where you can then search it for the items besides them flying from the body.

Also, will their be like swords or power weapons, maybe even lightsabers?
    Like this?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #26

February 2009
    213 Posts
    yeh, with the light sabers. Also there are actually vibro-weapons.

I have a problem though, i can't talk to like traders and the rebel people. I've rejoined and deleted my cache/bin

27. Post #27
    That's very interesting Katsu -- Haven't heard of anyone else experiencing the problem..could it be some kind of conflicting addon do you think?

Also - Already have lightsabers in the game, and they make correct sounds etc. They just aren't usable by players, because I want to eventually make Jedi a rare and special "class" at some point later on.

EDIT:

Here's the latest WIP for the Travel Menu. Note that the travel menu has been tested to already work, and all of those icons act as "buttons" to click in order to travel. Also note this is a rough WIP and doesn't reflect the quality of finished material:

28. Post #28
    October 2008
    499 Posts
    Looks very VERY promising. :D

29. Post #29
    A living example of an OCD programmer
    June 2009
    3,603 Posts
    Loveable

30. Post #30
    April 2009
    434 Posts
    That's very interesting Katsu -- Haven't heard of anyone else experiencing the problem..could it be some kind of conflicting addon do you think?

Also - Already have lightsabers in the game, and they make correct sounds etc. They just aren't usable by players, because I want to eventually make Jedi a rare and special "class" at some point later on.

EDIT:

Here's the latest WIP for the Travel Menu. Note that the travel menu has been tested to already work, and all of those icons act as "buttons" to click in order to travel. Also note this is a rough WIP and doesn't reflect the quality of finished material:

I second this make jedi attainable some what like they are in the emu or pre-cu SWG.
    If you make it a selectable profession and such thats all people are gonna be.
    Jedi...
    Also making new models for lightsabers might be a good idea the current ones out as far as I know look like total crap.
    Just my 2 cents.

31. Post #31
    June 2007
    459 Posts
    I would like to see a system where Melee fighting works, with Force powers that aren't just weapons you have to select, but it looks like with your GUI you wont have to.

So when two Force Sensitives (like Jedi or Sith) can battle it's a fluent and interesting battle without having to fumble around with commands and junk.

Or a system where, a Force Sensitive can only be trained by an Adept Force User through RP and stuff, which could take days, even weeks in the roleplay. Developing Rp Skills and stuff.

32. Post #32
    Eventually I would definitely like to get abilities in-game, and that opens up the possibility for force powers (and other abilities) that you could just drag onto your toolbar for hotkeying. To be honest, I'm not planning on doing work on Jedi any time soon, there's just so much other stuff I want to get in first. But yes, the plan is to make Jedi secretly attainable through alot of work and a bit of luck.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    397 Posts
    Naboo is basically done, when are we gunna get it up and running on a server :D? Also, Tatooine has been redone a tiny bit you may want to update the server with the new map. I'll send it to you when I get home, i'm at school right now.

34. Post #34
    Naboo is basically done, when are we gunna get it up and running on a server :D? Also, Tatooine has been redone a tiny bit you may want to update the server with the new map. I'll send it to you when I get home, i'm at school right now.
    You are the man Ard! Can't wait to get Naboo up and running, as well as Tatooine :D I've been working on this Star Destroyer instance and I'd say I'm about 60% finished with it. Going to be a big patch!

35. Post #35
    February 2010
    44 Posts
    So you got it ready for tomorrow???

36. Post #36
    April 2009
    434 Posts
    Eventually I would definitely like to get abilities in-game, and that opens up the possibility for force powers (and other abilities) that you could just drag onto your toolbar for hotkeying. To be honest, I'm not planning on doing work on Jedi any time soon, there's just so much other stuff I want to get in first. But yes, the plan is to make Jedi secretly attainable through alot of work and a bit of luck.
    Shouldn't matter people need to realize starwars isn't just all about OMFGIGOTLIGHZSABORZIHACKZANDUSEFORCEPOWERZNAOW!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    So you got it ready for tomorrow???
    It'll be close - I'm working really hard on it, and I think I should have the new drop tables done by tonight, which will basically finish it up. It won't be amazing, and there will probably need to be alot of tweaking to it in the patches afterwards, but it should be playable!

Mandalore777 posted:
    Shouldn't matter people need to realize starwars isn't just all about OMFGIGOTLIGHZSABORZIHACKZANDUSEFORCEPOWERZNAOW!
    I completely agree with you there - I think for the most part though, 99% of the people that come on to Star Wars: Sagas and play don't mind the fact that there aren't jedi around, and don't even ask about it..which is kind of a refreshing feeling :)

38. Post #38
    This looks amazingly good. Feels very Star Lulzy, except for Tali, What the hell was that, haha.

I will join the server now.

39. Post #39

The First Content Pack Upgrade has arrived! Simply download this, and extract it to Addons - If it asks you if you want to overwrite files, just click Yes for all. Until I can find a better way of distributing content such as maps, we're having to resort to these - Hopefully, they will not be too often as to get annoying. For new players, I will be getting an updated all-in-one content pack link sometime tonight hopefully.

IMPORTANT: DELETE ANY TATOOINE MAP THAT MAY BE IN YOUR GARRYSMOD/GARRYSMOD/MAPS FOLDER.

DOWNLOAD LINK:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KTCURVV7

MIRROR:

http://www.mediafire.com/?j2hz02ztmjj

40. Post #40
    August 2005
    32 Posts
    The lightsaber pack which ZiBL uploaded to garrysmod.org are actually mine which he/she uploaded without my permission.

I'm not going to kick up a huge fuss about it, I'm just glad they're being used for something.

Hope it all goes well, and I'll hopefully find time to be able to play it soon.

If you need any extra stuff, just shoot me a PM, and I might be able to whip something up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)