1. Post #1
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    [release]

Many admin mods have been released lately. Some very well known and widely used, like ASSMod and ULX and some lesser known, like Citrus. Evolve used to be one of those much lesser known admin mods too, but now I have decided that it's ready to be released to the general public.[/release]
    [release]

Using an certain admin mod is not something you should do without much care. It's important to consider what functionality you're after and what the admin mod has to offer. I'll start by listing the features classic admin mods don't have.

- Evolve is already a proven admin mod, proven by the fact it's already running well on about 35 servers.
    - Extensive support for custom ranks, which can be modified to suit your needs in realtime.
    - The menu design is a well balanced mix between ULX' and ASSMod's. It's as compact as ASSMod's, as feature-rich as ULX' and works as smoothly as the well known iPhone menus.
    - Unlike ASSMod, Evolve is very actively developed and any bugs are almost always fixed within 24 hours.
    - There are over 50 plugins, which all have an actual use, unlike gimmicky commands like !gimp.
    - Above all that, it comes with a sexy scoreboard which functions out of the box for Sandbox servers.

Some noteworthy plugins

- Per-player no-limits
    - Fake achievements on people.
    - Send private messages around without the need of an RP gamemode.
    - Extinguish all props.
    - Make people enter or leave vehicles.
    - More...[/release]
    [release]

Using an admin mod is usually not as much about the feature list, as about the look and feel of the commands and menu. Here's a few screenshots to get you a bit more familiar with the look of Evolve:

[/release]
    [release]

Plugin development in Evolve was made as convenient as possible. I could bore you with all the internal details, but I think it's a better idea to show the code of a simple plugin, so you can decide for yourself.

Situation: I want to make a plugin which slays people. (How original )
    Code:
    -- First we specify some information about our plugin.
    local PLUGIN = {}
    PLUGIN.Title = "Slay"
    PLUGIN.Description = "Makes people die."
    PLUGIN.Author = "YourName"
    PLUGIN.ChatCommand = "slay"
    PLUGIN.Usage = "[players]"
    PLUGIN.Privileges = { "Slay people" }

-- Here we specify what happens when a user calls the command, either by using the 'ev' console command or chat.
    function PLUGIN:Call( ply, arguments )
       -- First check if the player has the required privilege
       if ( ply:EV_HasPrivilege( "Slay people" ) ) then
          -- Now find all players which were specified.
          local players = evolve:FindPlayer( args, ply )

-- Loop through the selected players and 'slay' them.
          for _, pl in ipairs( players ) do
             pl:Kill()
          end

-- Display a message.
          -- The evolve.CreatePlayerList function creates a nice string out of a player list.
          if ( #players > 0 ) then
             evolve:Notify( evolve.colors.blue, ply:Nick(), evolve.colors.white, " has slayed ", evolve.colors.red, evolve:CreatePlayerList( players ), evolve.colors.white, "." )
          else
             evolve:Notify( ply, evolve.colors.red, "No matching players found." )
          end
       else
          evolve:Notify( ply, evolve.colors.red, evolve.constants.notallowed )
       end
    end

-- Using hooks in your plugin is simply a matter of doing this:
    function PLUGIN:PlayerSpawn( ply )

end

-- Finally register the plugin.
    evolve:RegisterPlugin( PLUGIN )

That wasn't too hard, was it? Now, that you've made your plugin, you obviously want as many people as possible to use it. Luckily it's very easy to distribute your plugin to other users of Evolve. All you need to do, is to upload your plugin to the Evolve website.[/release]
    [release]

There is no release yet, but a beta version of Evolve is already available for everyone to download via Subversion:
    Code:
    http://evolvemod.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/beta
    For instructions on how to use SVN, refer to the Evolve website.[/release]
    [release]

Basic setup

If you're hosting a listen server, you will be owner automatically. If you want to rank other people or you're hosting a dedicated server, use the following console command. On a dedicated server you would enter it via RCON or the console directly.
    Code:
    ev rank yourname guest/respected/admin/superadmin/owner
    Note: You don't have to use your complete name, but if you want to, you need to put it between quotes if it contains spaces.

Using the menu

To start using the menu, bind a key to +ev_menu like this:
    Code:
    bind key +ev_menu
    You can use any key, but I think T is the most convenient, because it's easy to reach when using the AWSD keys.

Using console commands

When you're not in the server and you want to accomplish something using RCON, you can use the ev console command. The syntax is the same as the chat command. Here's an example:
    Code:
    ev kick minge Go annoy someone else
    Notice that with Evolve, you don't have to use quotes around arguments with spaces. However, if you're used to them, you can still use them.
    [/release]
    [release]

Evolve on Google Code - Contains the bug report & feature suggestion page.
    Evolve website - Contains user plugins and documentation.
    User plugins - Plugins made by Evolve users.
    Command list - List with all Evolve (chat)commands.[/release]
    [release]

Divran for bugging me to fix bugs.
    The servers using Evolve for motivating me to continue developing and submitting bugs for me to fix and features for me to add.
    Prefan for the competition, which made me work a lot harder for the past few weeks.

Mostly, a BIG thank you to all the people who have used and tested Evolve for the past few months. Without you Evolve wouldn't have been what it is today.[/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Lua King x 112Useful x 91Winner x 10Dumb x 9Friendly x 9Funny x 7Artistic x 5Agree x 4Bad Reading x 2Informative x 2Lua Helper x 2Disagree x 2Late x 1Zing x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    April 2008
    1,318 Posts
    Looks pretty slick. Glad it's finally done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    Awesome, looks fantastic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    June 2009
    71 Posts
    UI looks pretty sleek, but is it tested with Linux servers?
    Also, is there any integration with MySQL? It'd be useful, but not a clincher.
    Either way, I'll probably try it out tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Yes, it's running perfectly fine on my Linux server. MySQL integration is coming a little bit later, but is easy to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Lua King x 5Informative x 2Friendly x 1Funny x 1Agree x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    June 2009
    3,644 Posts
    is it tested with Linux servers?
    :doh:

Edited:

@ overv

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 4Lua King x 1Lua Helper x 1Agree x 1Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Taught by John Lua
    May 2007
    2,914 Posts
    Looks very good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #8
    June 2009
    71 Posts
    Yes, it's running perfectly fine on my Linux server. MySQL integration is coming a little bit later, but is easy to do.
    Great to hear. Have a wrench for not taking the usual 'screw Linux' attitude over this. And I hope to see MySQL integration soon :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    June 2009
    3,644 Posts
    Great to hear. Have a wrench for not taking the usual 'screw Linux' attitude over this. And I hope to see MySQL integration soon :P
    screw linux

Edited:

i dont think its even possible to have a lua script that only works on windows
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,704 Posts
    Please, I'm begging you, there has to be a map menu somewhere?! Glad to see Evolve is shaping up to be a great admin mod, I can't wait to see more plugins, especially because the website is a great touch, I think the only other admin mod with a website is ULX.

As for my prediction:
    Evolve replaces ASSMod
    Exsto replaces ULX

Not sure though, but it seems possible. At the rate updates come out, it's quite likely that assmod will break soon enough, and ULX hasn't pushed a major non-svn release in ages.

@Combine, apparently somehow ULX didn't work on linux for a bit, no idea how.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    June 2009
    71 Posts
    screw linux

Edited:

i dont think its even possible to have a lua script that only works on windows
    It is. Anything which relies on an unported binary module won't work - nor will anything with funny casing, as srcds linux seems to have funny turns over this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    June 2009
    3,644 Posts
    It is. Anything which relies on an unported binary module won't work - nor will anything with funny casing, as srcds linux seems to have funny turns over this.
    i said lua not binary module
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    I'm Better Than You
    August 2008
    5,607 Posts
    Good job OverV, simple and smooth.

14. Post #14
    June 2009
    71 Posts
    i said lua not binary module
    Binary modules compliment Lua scripts. If a binary module doesn't work, a script which relies on it cannot function either.

I'm finished now. Don't want to descend this into a flame war.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    It is. Anything which relies on an unported binary module won't work - nor will anything with funny casing, as [s]srcds[/s] linux seems to have funny turns over this.
    Fixed it for you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,647 Posts
    Fixed it for you
    Actually it's srcds's fault that it's unstable. Nothing about Linux is unstable at this point in development.

17. Post #17
    peopleofgaming.com
    January 2009
    1,087 Posts
    how do I restrict SWEPS and entities?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    Actually it's srcds's fault that it's unstable. Nothing about Linux is unstable at this point in development.
    The kernel, maybe not, but desktop Linux does have quite a few instabilities in most distros. I use Linux whenever I'm not gaming (a lot) and I love it, but there are quite a few times where GNOME will lock up or something odd. But then again, Windows does things like this too, so.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,657 Posts
    Good job OverV, simple and smooth.
    This x1000.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    June 2009
    3,644 Posts
    my linux GARRY_MOD server worked fine only thing was that you have to remember to get the capitilization right
    for example if you put a gamemode in gamemodes/ called DARKRP you have to call it DARKRP or it wont work not DarKRP do you understand ???
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    May 2007
    914 Posts
    Awesome, just an suggestion about cvar, can you allow to add a menu with custom cvar ?

Thanks in advance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

22. Post #22
    March 2010
    336 Posts
    I love your derma, it is the best I have seen to date.

23. Post #23
    We Are No Idiots
    March 2010
    4,860 Posts
    This is the cleanest admin mod I've seen so far. No junk just pure awesomeness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    Ah, my bad then.

25. Post #25
    Weird, On Roleplay when you type something in it then relays it a second time but with *DEAD* In front of the players name...

26. Post #26
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    April 2008
    704 Posts
    I was just considering getting Exsto, then Evolve gets updated with custom ranks and a new sexy UI.

Absolutely love this admin mod, my favorite by far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member

July 2006
    1,960 Posts
    This just replaced ASSMod on my server, thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,704 Posts
    My prediction is slowly coming true...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    metromod.net
    April 2010
    2,216 Posts
    Does this also use the regular usergroups?

31. Post #31
    January 2008
    20 Posts
    I loved it when it was beta on your server. Now i love it even more :) Excellent job Overv.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Czech Republic Show Events

32. Post #32
    Gold Member

June 2007
    5,036 Posts
    Shiny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,925 Posts
    Awesome... simply awesome... :canada:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    626 Posts
    I love how it looks so clean simple and you haven't made it overly pretty.

35. Post #35
    johnny guitar was here
    February 2010
    6,203 Posts
    yeah, bots are retards.
    kick its ass!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Does this also use the regular usergroups?
    Yes, in the rank menu you can set the regular usergroup. By default admins have the 'admin' usergroup and owners and super admins have the 'superadmin' usergroup, so any addon using IsAdmin() or IsSuperAdmin() will work fine with the ranks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    We Are No Idiots
    March 2010
    4,860 Posts
    Fucking I forgot to install svn on my server box. :saddowns:

I'm finding it quick and user friendly. Heres a    wrench   

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,629 Posts
    Please, I'm begging you, there has to be a map menu somewhere?!
    I made one :) Use my SVN link to get it:
    Code:
    http://divranspack.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ divranspack/Divrans Evolve Plugins/My own plugins/Map Plugins
    (You need tab_maps.lua and sh_mapslist.lua for the map menu to work.)

EDIT: Note: some of the plugins I've made don't work, and I've been too lazy to fix them :/

EDIT2: Also wohoo I'm in the credits :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,191 Posts
    Is there or will there be a prop protection system?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

40. Post #40
    August 2008
    1,059 Posts
    Hmm, I'm really tempted to replace ASSmod with this on my server. But I wont if it doesn't have an easy way to change maps. Is this what people are saying? Also, does this have a group-based entity, weapon and tool restriction option like ASSmod?