1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    Simple enough premise...

I'll start with

Zombies - oddessey and the oracle

its a forgotten gem of the 60s, sadly the band split after the release of their only great album

have a listen and give your feedback

EDIT:
    I've listened to a few albums here, and the one that blew me away right on the first listen was Television's Marquee Moon... they don't even make rock like that any more... it is just skilfully composed and the guitar work is superb, just goes to show you don't need excellent vocal skills to pull off great work, they made this album with true devotion

Some other albums that truly caught me on the first listen just like this one did:

SECOND EDIT......
    Quite recently I've been going through the Bob Dylan catalogue, thats just after going through Stevie Wonder, Beatles, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen AND Prince's catalogues...

and what I have discovered...... is that we are living in times where the man is reaching a point of his own artistic perfection... I'm not going to try and sound like an arse and be like "HIS MUSIC IS PERFECT"..... there is no such thing. But in terms of his own artistry, the studio albums that he has sent out recently (excluding the christmas album for obvious reasons), over the past 10 or 12 years, have been staggering recordings. He produces, writes and composes each and every track nowadays. And very few realise that now is the time.. unbelievably.. that he reaching this point. The albums in question that I am talking about, are of four consecutive ones. These albums go together so well, listen to them one after the other and you will know. I wasn't into country rock or blues rock a lot, but these albums give a HECK of a lot more about his devotion, musically. Much more than he has EVER done.. I say this because very few artists do have periods in their artistry where they consecutively release music that I can consider a masterpiece.

THIRD EDIT:

Lets have some prog rock on here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,044 Posts
    Between the Buried and Me - Colours.

A progressive metalcore (is it metalcore?) album that will truly take you on a journey, an amazing experience from start to finish, and a tree showcase of some of the best musicianship and songwriting out there today.

BTBAM are my gods.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 20Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts

Really great guitar work in this album here, and every song just rocks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    Definitely gonna give that a listen pie
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #5
    May 2010
    365 Posts
    Therapy? - Babyteeth

It's actually an EP, and what a great EP it is.
    Therapy? covered noise rock, hardcore punk and speed metal on this EP, with a certain pop feel, great lyrics and some seriously impressive drumming.
    Not a single bad song on the whole EP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Croatia Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2008
    33 Posts
    Do I need to explain why
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 29Agree Agree x 21Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,285 Posts

One of my favourite rock albums ever, definitely Guns n' Roses best album. Got tracks like Paradise City, Sweet Child o' Mine, Welcome to the Jungle, Anything Goes, Rocket Queen, Nightrain, Mr Brownstone... Fantastic tracks from a fantastic album by a fantastic band.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 9Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    Do I need to explain why
    point of the thread

posting a giant picture of a metallica album with no substance is disgraceful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    12,414 Posts

Relatively unknown (at least around these parts) The album is truly a masterpiece in both beats (with both Nu-Mark and Cut Chemist producing The beats) and lyrics, this was one of my first hip-hop purchases and i don't regret it one bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts
    Please do.

It's ammaaaazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    3,367 Posts
    Do I need to explain why
    Ill do the reason.

Its just. Pure. AWESOMME! Amazing guitar riffs and solos, and the song Master of Puppets is an all time great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 14Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts
    Ill do the reason.

Its just. Pure. AWESOMME! Amazing guitar riffs and solos, and the song Master of Puppets is an all time great.
    Plus Tim Burton does a great job on Osiris.

Too bad he quit the band to make more movies.

Disposable Heroes is cool too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    You should. It's awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    3,367 Posts
    Plus Tim Burton does a great job on Osiris.

Too bad he quit the band to make more movies.

Disposable Heroes is cool too.
    I actually like listening to Orion now and again :3:

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts

masterpiece!

One of my all time favorites, true classic... If you have not heard of them you had better start to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts
    masterpiece, almost!
    almost?

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    Edited

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,225 Posts

This album is a very good orchestral/soundtrack album. Listen to "Pompeii" while taking a shit and feel like you are saving mankind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts

One of the best albums from last year. Every song is fantastic.

Edited:

Really really fantastic piano music
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    October 2009
    2,552 Posts

Because with no singing talent, 4 chords and catchy songwriting, this band has made millions and become an icon of pop-punk. This is their Live album and their best IMO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 23Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,758 Posts

Because it's one of the densest, most amazing jazz records I have heard in my entire life

Edited:

This transcends traditional jazz and moves onto some sort of astral plane that's lightyears beyond anything I've heard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #22
    Dennab
    December 2009
    3,302 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    read the OP, or even the thread title! wtf

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts

This transcends traditional jazz and moves onto some sort of astral plane that's lightyears beyond anything I've heard
    heard that one, superb

you should try kind of blue by miles davis, genius
    also john coltrane

25. Post #25
    Antichristian Heathen Icelandic Bastard
    June 2008
    5,701 Posts
    I have two I'd like to reccomend

The use of 8-stringed guitars and the complex rhythms are just really amazing for any heavy metal fan in my opinion.

I can't explain it that well. I just think this album is a work of art. Anyone who likes a bit of grit in their sound or even art should take a listen to this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Iceland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts
    Fiction - Dark Tranquility

Amazingly well written music, and played to it's full extent. You need it if you prefer melody based metal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

27. Post #27
    Dennab
    December 2009
    3,302 Posts
    read the OP, or even the thread title! wtf
    I am saying the album is good, I doubt anybody in this thread is interested in it if they haven't heard of the artist, then they won't care and they would rather get back to their mainstream Metallica crap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    5,887 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Peru Show Events Agree Agree x 33Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    5,178 Posts

A great Progressive Rock album. An one off album but a mainly Progressive Death Metal band. This album showed they could do more than Progressive Death Metal right. Wish they made even a EP like this again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    October 2008
    365 Posts
    Into the Sewers: In Defence.
    Fantastic Thrash-Hardcore mix.
    They never take themselves seriously. They can put on a great show.
    And they are a local band.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    635 Posts
    Between the Buried and Me - Colours.

A progressive metalcore (is it metalcore?) album that will truly take you on a journey, an amazing experience from start to finish, and a tree showcase of some of the best musicianship and songwriting out there today.

BTBAM are my gods.
    Saw them live. They were meh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    Gama Bomb - Tales from the Grave in Space

Modern thrash done right. Most of the time I find thrash these days is becoming more of a heavy style, these guys sound like they come straight from the 80s. Recommending this album in particular because it's free, and you can download it here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Rad Cult Member
    December 2007
    4,759 Posts
    The Silver Apples

Amazing, perhaps lesser-known album from an amazing 60's band.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    I am saying the album is good, I doubt anybody in this thread is interested in it if they haven't heard of the artist, then they won't care and they would rather get back to their mainstream Metallica crap.
    woh, for fucks sake why do you have to be like that, why not say 'theyre a band noone has heard of but they make superb music' that wouldve made me intrigued but now i couldnt give any less of A fuck

35. Post #35
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    Do I need to explain why
    Probably the most overated band of all time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 39Disagree Disagree x 23Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    You are an arse....its personal tastes, saying they are overrated is as stupid as saying justin bieber is overrated

Why not recommend one.... metallica are a good band
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    November 2008
    869 Posts
    Right now I'm listening to Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects - Sol Niger Within album, I recommend this to everyone who is seeking something very different and experimental music. Features cool solos from a guy who was inspired by Allan Holdsworth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

38. Post #38
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,285 Posts
    Oh, and;

White Stripes - Elephant

A band comprising of two people manage to make an album that is so amazing, with such a full sound, it's just incredible. Pretty much every song is a good song on there, like "Seven Nation Army", "Black Math" and "Girl, You Have No Faith In Medicine". It just goes to show how great things can be without going over the top with effects, computers, and having to have about eight or nine people playing at the same time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

39. Post #39
    May 2010
    21 Posts
    Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

This album demonstrates the pioneering of alternate/odd guitar tunings expressed in the form of Experimental grunge (at the time) with a punk/chillout influence. I personally believe the tracks in this album are one of the best i have heard. the track "teenage riot" is a true masterpiece and is a good representation of what was anticipated for 90s grunge.

Anyone familiar with old-school simpsons would notice they made an appearance in the episode with the festival "lollapalooza" (Is that how its spelled?) featuring the smashing pumpkins (forgot the name of the episode, sorry)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts
    All coming from human imaginations
    a daydreaming days in a daydream nation

Great album.