1. Post #41
    August 2009
    1,005 Posts

Awesome album, I've not listened to any of Mastondon's older stuff, but this is pure genius.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    If you never have listened to soul, a listen to this album will absolutely blow you away..

My favourite of all time, simple mindset but so much soul its indescribable

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

3. Post #43
    August 2009
    2,057 Posts

It definitely is Megadeths best piece of art. There are so many great songs in it, such as "Hangar 18", "Tornado of Souls" and "Holy Wars", and it really is one of the best thrash albums ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Iceland Show Events Agree Agree x 11Winner Winner x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Who wants to come to the aquarium later and watch me screw with the sharks?
    May 2009
    13,351 Posts

Oh, by the way... - Pink Floyd.

Contains every recording done by Floyd to date. All of them. And Pink Floyd are kickass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    Oh, by the way... - Pink Floyd.

Contains every recording done by Floyd to date. All of them. And Pink Floyd are kickass.

what is the point of that?

you suggested a box set of ALL the pink floyd albums, choose one or 2 of them... Atom Heart Mother is one of the biggest disappointments I've heard...

Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here are my favourites
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    39,167 Posts

Awesome album, I've not listened to any of Mastondon's older stuff, but this is pure genius.
    Older stuff is very different

but this album is by far their best
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts
    what is the point of that?

you suggested a box set of ALL the pink floyd albums, choose one or 2 of them...

Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here are my favourites
    More Pink Floyd > Less Pink Floyd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    More Pink Floyd > Less Pink Floyd
    listen to the atom heart mother album if you actually want to gag
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,758 Posts

Meat Beat Manifesto's Autoimmune

because it has bass that would make dubstep cry in its pants
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    863 Posts
    MGMT - Congratulations

<--- Album cover

This album is amazing, they took a further step away from the likes of 'Kids' and 'Time to Pretend' in favor of the psychedelic rock that filled up half of 'Oracular Spectacular'. Each song is without a doubt a grower.

If you only listen to one song, let it be 'Siberian Breaks'.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

11. Post #51
    Who wants to come to the aquarium later and watch me screw with the sharks?
    May 2009
    13,351 Posts
    listen to the atom heart mother album if you actually want to gag
    Atom Heart Mother is fantastic. The only PF album I'd consider bad is The Final Cut, and that was really a Waters solo album, it even says "An album by Roger Waters, preformed by Pink Floyd" on the back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    655 Posts

Recommended if you enjoy absolute grit in your vocals, heavy as fuck drums, and H.P Lovecraft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #53
    January 2010
    2,724 Posts

The Avalanches. All of their songs are remixes from various and rather unknown videos and such. The album has a delightful melancholy tone that carries over from each song to the next.

Though, if you tend to listen to the lyrics more than the rest of the song, you'd find each album to be very repetitive. (Not counting Frontier Psychiatrist; It's a must listen)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

14. Post #54
    Prime Minister of Australia
    June 2008
    7,174 Posts
    Simple enough premise...

I'll start with

Zombies - oddessey and the oracle

its a forgotten gem of the 60s, sadly the bad split after the release of their only great album

have a listen and give your feedback
    Fantastic album; one of my favorites.

I also recommend this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,933 Posts

Karnivool are an amazing progressive hard rock/metal band from my city, to which I would recommend to anyone with any taste in music. They contain elements of bands such as Tool, Nirvana, even Meshuggah. The whole album is truly an experience, and their other album Themata is just as good.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    August 2009
    894 Posts

Not many albums have truly innovative lyrics in its genre or during it's time.

Forget everything that their following two albums were like. (E.g. 'The Kill' & 'Kings and Queens')

One of those albums that take you on a journey from the start to the very end
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts

Pavement - Quarantine The Past

it's very relaxed and is quite soulful as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #58

April 2010
    217 Posts

Pica Fierce was an underground death metal band that disbanded recently. They had been together for ten years and released three demos before putting out their only full-length album. The music is dynamic, melodic, compositionally interesting, and technically impressive. Not to mention good production (although not the greatest). Resembles old-school death metal moreso than recent developments. A lot of influence from Cynic, Death, etc. Pica Fierce also composed and toured a metal opera, titled 'Faust'.

19. Post #59
    August 2009
    14,860 Posts

Karnivool are an amazing progressive hard rock/metal band from my city, to which I would recommend to anyone with any taste in music. They contain elements of bands such as Tool, Nirvana, even Meshuggah. The whole album is truly an experience, and their other album Themata is just as good.

I loved that album, but I don't think it's quite as awesome as you said.

I just love it because it's awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    please listen to the worst album of all time:

Dylan - 1973 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dylan_(1973_album)
    check out the amazing reviews it got

It is the first bob dylan album I listened to because I just wanted to laugh at him before I listen to the good stuff

21. Post #61
    December 2007
    852 Posts

The masterpiece from the Norwegian Black/Sogne Metal group Windir. All the albums after this one is a masterpiece. The way Valfar (the main man behind the band) uses synth along with guitars and his special voice makes it all perfect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts

Big Star's #1 Record. Despite the name the album barely sold because the label didn't have enough money to distribute it to stores. It's a shame really. Every song on the album is catchy as hell. Cheap Trick covered In the Street, and that became the theme song to That 70's show. In between the rockers are acoustic ballads that are touching and beautiful. It may seem a bit standard today, but back then, it was awesome, and very influential. Also, you can't deny that Chris Bell and Alex Chilton (both are now dead, Alex just recently), are both brilliant song writers, and that the songs are catchy as hell. You can get This album along with it's follow up Radio City on one CD now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    9,709 Posts

This is Los Campesinos! second album. From start to finish it is full of great lyrics, awesome riffs and an all around brilliant sound. I would hazard to say that this album is one of the best indie albums of all time. Anybody who like indie, rock or is just looking for something really relaxing and fun to listen to should check out We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #64
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts

One of if not my favourite albums of all time. Ingenious lyrics, meaningful songs, powerful delivery, this album is so close to perfect it's not even funny. I dream of writing something as amazing as this one day

Neutral Milk Hotel - In an Aeroplane Over the Sea

One of my recent discoveries after seeing it lauded everywhere it could be, and now I understand why. Take the songwriting of Bob Dylan, and add to it the fuzz rock sound of 60s garage rock bands, and you'd maybe get something like this. Not my genre by any means, but a truly great album
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #65
    Dennab
    December 2009
    3,302 Posts

Neutral Milk Hotel - In an Aeroplane Over the Sea
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 22Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #66

April 2010
    217 Posts
    Adagio - Underworld

This album is generally regarded as the French progressive metal act's masterpiece. The arrangements are powerful and intricate, the harmonies are interesting, the musicianship is top-notch, and the singer, David Readman, has some serious balls.

Also, everyone in the band is a shredder. If you've never heard bass sweeping, now you have the opportunity:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    Prime Minister of Australia
    June 2008
    7,174 Posts
    Adagio - Underworld

This album is generally regarded as the French progressive metal act's masterpiece. The arrangements are powerful and intricate, the harmonies are interesting, the musicianship is top-notch, and the singer, David Readman, has some serious balls.

Also, everyone in the band is a shredder. If you've never heard bass sweeping, now you have the opportunity:
    This is a good post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

28. Post #68
    November 2008
    869 Posts
    I counter your Deadwing with In Absentia.

Best album from Porcupine Tree imo, there's a hidden meaning in the whole album, features songs that stand out alone but still is a good concept album, I usually like to listen to this album fully.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    376 Posts

Not many albums have truly innovative lyrics in its genre or during it's time.

View YouTUBE video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uFimA6sNRIM

Forget everything that their following two albums were like. (E.g. 'The Kill' & 'Kings and Queens')

One of those albums that take you on a journey from the start to the very end

Honestly prefer This is War to the other two (though both have awesome songs). Every song is just too awesome to ever pass on an iPod or whatever, and the crowd parts are so epic, especially live. A Beautiful Lie has nice personal songs, and the first album has very eery and cool out-of-this-world lyrics, but This is War seems to really combine them.

And yeah, Jared is an ass on stage sometimes, but he still performs one hell of a show.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #70
    March 2010
    63 Posts
    Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Mostly because of this:
    http://www.4degreez.com/nailz/ninter...ownspiral.html

If you're willing to listen to the whole album and read this long interpretation the album becomes even more thought provoking. At least for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

31. Post #71
    February 2010
    2,202 Posts
    MGMT - Congratulations

<--- Album cover

This album is amazing, they took a further step away from the likes of 'Kids' and 'Time to Pretend' in favor of the psychedelic rock that filled up half of 'Oracular Spectacular'. Each song is without a doubt a grower.

If you only listen to one song, let it be 'Siberian Breaks'.
    Oh, I didn't realize they had a new album out, rad.

Anyway,

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #72

April 2010
    217 Posts
    Anacrusis - Screams And Whispers

I keep recommending metal. Next album will be something from a different genre. Anyhow...

Anacrusis experimented with the blend of thrash metal and progressive rock, and is often credited as being one of the first bands to do so. Another reason you should listen to this album: it kicks ass, and their entire discography is available for free download on their website. http://www.anacrusis.us/

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,100 Posts

Ayreon's musical style derives mostly from heavy metal and progressive rock, but combines them with genres like folk, classical and electronica to form what some call a completely new style of music.

The Human Equation is the sixth album by Arjen Anthony Lucassen, released under the name Ayreon. It was released on May 25, 2004. As with other Ayreon albums, it features guest appearances from several musicians previously unrelated to the project, including James LaBrie of Dream Theater, Mikael Åkerfeldt of Opeth, Eric Clayton of Saviour Machine, and Devin Townsend, performing music arranged and written by Lucassen.

This album is absolutely amazing, the conceptual idea behind the album is out of this world.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Human_Equation to read more about the concept and storyline behind the album.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    I counter your Deadwing with In Absentia.

Best album from Porcupine Tree imo, there's a hidden meaning in the whole album, features songs that stand out alone but still is a good concept album, I usually like to listen to this album fully.
    I used to prefer In Absentia to Deadwing, but the more I listen to both of them the more Deadwing stands out. Even though In Absentia is definitely in my top ten favourite albums along with Deadwing.

To contribute again,

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing Along Songs for the Damned & Delirious

One of the most insane albums you will ever hear. Imagine System of a Down, a jazz orchestra and Devin Townsend having a tea party in Tim Burton's house and you'd be remotely close. Absolute genius
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #75
    August 2009
    894 Posts

Honestly prefer This is War to the other two (though both have awesome songs). Every song is just too awesome to ever pass on an iPod or whatever, and the crowd parts are so epic, especially live. A Beautiful Lie has nice personal songs, and the first album has very eery and cool out-of-this-world lyrics, but This is War seems to really combine them.

And yeah, Jared is an ass on stage sometimes, but he still performs one hell of a show.
    I admit 'A Beautiful Lie' & and 'This Is War' were impressive albums, but there's something I can't put my finger on about how the self titled album tops them... Hard to say, maybe a song will help explain.

Skip to 1:05 for those who are impatient...

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    Hell of a lot of metal and rock here to drive someone crazy! what about some more jazz or blues? Maybe some soul or rnb too :]

great metal is black sabbath or acdc

great rock is beatles or rolling stones

expected a lot more of that kind of talk, that television band was close to what i was expecting

surprised of the variety of rock here though

37. Post #77
    July 2009
    273 Posts
    To contribute again,

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing Along Songs for the Damned & Delirious

One of the most insane albums you will ever hear. Imagine System of a Down, a jazz orchestra and Devin Townsend having a tea party in Tim Burton's house and you'd be remotely close. Absolute genius
    I download this because of your post. Sick fucking album!

I'd rec this mostly because the lyrics are so up front and relate able in a way. Easily the best Smiths album!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    18,126 Posts
    Hell of a lot of metal and rock here to drive someone crazy! what about some more jazz or blues? Maybe some soul or rnb too :]

great metal is black sabbath or acdc

great rock is beatles or rolling stones

expected a lot more of that kind of talk, that telephone band was close to what i was expecting

surprised of the variety of rock here though
    Metal has a lot of variety inside of it's genres. ACDC isn't metal either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

39. Post #79
    January 2010
    1,043 Posts
    Daft Punk - Discovery

I really cannot big this album up enough. If you're looking to get into dance music, this is a great place to start. It's basically house music, but with a kind of cheesy 80s euro-disco edge to it. It's one of the few albums I can say with confidence is absolutely flawless from start to finish. Plus, guest spots from Romanthony and Todd Edwards = WIN.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    Metal has a lot of variety inside of it's genres. ACDC isn't metal either.
    I do understand the variety that metal has, just yet to discover that

acdc are definitely metal, although most of their popular work is predominantly hard rock style

i was just surprised about the variety of metal rather than variety of genres which was what i was expecting