1. Post #121
    January 2010
    1,043 Posts

Thats a single, not an album. Still brilliant though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #122

April 2010
    217 Posts
    Definitely going to check them out, although I hate low quality recordings.
    Yeah, the production kind of kills it for me, too. There are spots on that album where it just plain distorts. However, I think there's more to be said if they can write such intricate music, but don't have the most stellar production. The 'starving artist' model conjures images of romanticism. And, although I don't think this is the case for this band, a lower production quality can be used to artistic effect, such as in black metal. After all, a lo-fi recording is going to leave an impression upon your ear immediately, be it good, bad, or just interesting.

Anyway, another.

Genesis - Wind And Wuthering

I could never listen to an entire Genesis album without cringing (believe me, I tried), but Wind And Wuthering is the closest I've gotten. The arrangements and composition throughout the album are superb - the prog wankery is tasteful. It was that magical time between when Peter Gabriel left and when Phil Collins turned them into a cheesy pop band.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    Yeah that's fair enough man, I'm not having a go at you
    I was originally thinking more people would suggest some of their albums :P

Superb Album, truly a classic...it was in their prime of hard rock and blues style
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    PHD IN SUCKING DICK
    June 2008
    7,036 Posts

Nevermind by Nirvana, just a legendary album with some great songs.

One of the best Nirvana albums, Heart-Shaped Box and Dumb are songs you should've heard.

In my opinion the best Tool album. Not sure why.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    updated the front page, a lot more interesting ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #126

April 2010
    217 Posts
    Wolf Eyes - Burned Mind

Great noise album, has everything a noise album should have.
    It's violent, it's unpredictable, it borders on unlistenable at times.
    Thanks for the rec, I'm digging what I hear. Vocals are kinda meh, but it's listenable.

An udder!

Diamanda Galas - The Singer

This chick has an awesome voice. Perfect for blues, as she does on this album, although it's a departure from the rest of her catalog.

7. Post #127
    Who wants to come to the aquarium later and watch me screw with the sharks?
    May 2009
    13,288 Posts

Genesis - Wind And Wuthering

I could never listen to an entire Genesis album without cringing (believe me, I tried), but Wind And Wuthering is the closest I've gotten. The arrangements and composition throughout the album are superb - the prog wankery is tasteful. It was that magical time between when Peter Gabriel left and when Phil Collins turned them into a cheesy pop band.

Wind is alright, but Foxtrot is my favourite studio album. More Genesis:

Only official recording (sadly) of Peter Gabriel live with Genesis. Though there are only 5 tracks here, all are atleast 8 minutes, with a good 50 minutes of music overall. All songs are played extremely well, and I'd take the live version of the Knife over the studio version anyday.

8. Post #128

April 2010
    217 Posts
    Foxtrot was nice, but aside from Supper's Ready and Get 'Em Out By Friday, I didn't like the album too much. Nursery Cryme had more of the storytelling vibe that I like in Genesis. Return of the Giant Hogweed is fucking genius. One thing's for sure: Genesis was unique among music of any age. I just can't stand Gabriel's voice acting sometimes.

9. Post #129
    November 2008
    869 Posts

In my opinion the best Tool album. Not sure why.
    10,000 days was the best Tool album in my opinion too until I started to listen Lateralus more. Lateralus has more complex music in it, it lasts longer( you can listen to it more without getting bored by it ).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts

Fourteen songs. Nine instrumentals. Everyone of those songs are unique, moving, and really do take you to another world. This is an album unlike any other. Well, except for other Brian Eno albums of course. Plus Robert Fripp from King Crimson plays guitar for some of the songs, and Phil Collins from Genesis for one of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

11. Post #131
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts

Dead Can Dance - The Serpent's Egg

An ambient neoclassical masterpiece, each song is a carefully constructed and beautiful. With 10 tracks clocking in at an easy 38 minutes it's short, sweet and succinct. Lisa Gerrard's vocals will haunt you forever. One of my favourite albums without a doubt

12. Post #132
    May 2009
    13,288 Posts
    Foxtrot was nice, but aside from Supper's Ready and Get 'Em Out By Friday, I didn't like the album too much. Nursery Cryme had more of the storytelling vibe that I like in Genesis. Return of the Giant Hogweed is fucking genius. One thing's for sure: Genesis was unique among music of any age. I just can't stand Gabriel's voice acting sometimes.
    Can-Utility is really under rated, as is Time Table, Watcher is really overplayed though, I'll admit.

13. Post #133
    Appreciates Subtle Titles
    April 2009
    6,789 Posts

Yes: Tales From Topographic Oceans
    One of the most beautiful compositions of all time. Not for those with ADD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #134
    April 2010
    7,680 Posts

Another truly amazing album, a good balance between hard-rockin' and chill. There is a lot of energy in this album.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

15. Post #135

April 2010
    217 Posts
    Nice. For a long time, I could only get into The Revealing Science of God, but after some hard work, I found all of the tracks really listenable. "The Ancient - Giants Under The Sun" has a lot of Stravinskyisms in it.

More prog, comin' at ya.

Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life

A reasonably well-known English band, although not a part of the standard progressive rock pantheon (Yes Rush, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, etc.), though probably darker than most of them. They're known primarily for their album, "Pawn Hearts", which gained them commercial prominence in Italy (despite having no resemblance to pop music whatsoever). Their career is generally measured from that album - either "pre- Pawn Hearts" or "post-Pawn Hearts", and the sound between the two periods is truly different. Still Life if of the latter. Along with the use of electric organ (a staple of 70's progressive rock), Van Der Graaf Generator gets their unique sound from David Jackson's saxophone virtuosity, and Peter Hammill's sometimes stringent voice. The music is complex, and there's nothing that really sounds anything like it.

16. Post #136
    September 2009
    4,395 Posts

Forever Changes by Love. It's Top 5 of the greatest albums ever made. Anyone who likes 60's music will LOVE this album, it's just..there are no words to describe it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Iceland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #137

April 2010
    217 Posts
    Forever Changes by Love. It's Top 5 of the greatest albums ever made. Anyone who likes 60's music will LOVE this album, it's just..there are no words to describe it.
    Very nice. This is some awesome music.

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,430 Posts

Sound like the devil farting through an amp. I think every song is unique in its own way and it's easily one of the best metal albums to come out this year.
    Mix of Black/Death and Doom metal

19. Post #139
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    I just went

wat

when I saw that cover
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

20. Post #140

April 2010
    217 Posts
    Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond

A cool blues/space rock album by assorted members of Deep Purple and Iron Butterfly. The music goes everywhere from hard rock to tritonal heavy metal riffing to latin dance and a bit of psychedelia. If you like a lot of changes in your music, this is the album for you.

21. Post #141
    May 2009
    13,288 Posts

Lovely album, to continue with the Yes mood:

Yes - Relayer

Half beautiful, half wonderfully agressive. Relayer is possibly (In my eyes) Yes' best work, with Swiss keyboardist Patrick Moraz (Who was fired later :saddowns:). The "main" (longest, first) track, The Gates of Delirium is possibly the best representation of war in music I have ever heard. The instrumental section in the middle is really incredible, the rythem section especially. The song ends with possibly the most emotional singing I have really, ever heard. The next song, Sound Chaser, is a jazzy, frantic song with an awesome, really rather long, guitar solo in the middle sans other instruments. To Be Over, the last song, is far calmer than it's brothers, yet the incredible quality does not dip.

My favourite album possibly of all time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    2,274 Posts

Five Miles Out - Mike Oldfield

Impossible to describe really. My favorite Mike Oldfield album, and the opening track, Taurus II, is half an hour of awesome.
    It's kinda hard to get into at first, but so very much worth it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts

Yes - Relayer

My favourite album possibly of all time.
    i prefer yes' fragile album

classic

24. Post #144
    May 2009
    13,288 Posts
    i prefer yes' fragile album

classic
    Fragile is a good collection of songs, but a bad album. The songs are good, but the style is unfocused. The Yes Album is better, side A especially.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    Fragile is a good collection of songs, but a bad album. The songs are good, but the style is unfocused. The Yes Album is better, side A especially.
    I dont quite get your comment, are you saying the album is uneven or that the songs arent suited for each other for one distinct mood?

Its very far from a bad album, it has a distinct style in its own sense, because of the way they put it together. But hey thats peoples opinions. Havent heard a lot of their other work to give a distinct comparison though

26. Post #146
    May 2010
    57 Posts
    Osibisa - Woyaya

Jazz rock.:iia:
    Akayz, give this a listen if you haven't already, I think you'd like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Croatia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    Osibisa - Woyaya
    Jazz rock.:iia:
    Akayz, give this a listen if you haven't already, I think you'd like it.
    definitely, thanks for the suggestion

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Undergound & Nico
    I can talk about the influence of this album until my balls fall off. Really this is the band that pretty much invented alternative rock. Even today it seems challenging and radical. Lou Reed's lyrics about stuff like Hard Drugs and BDSM are genius. Most people don't like Nico's baritone german voice, but she adds to a lot of the atmosphere on the songs that she sings in. Femme Fatale can't be sung buy anyone other than an apathetic sounding woman. Well unless you're Alex Chilton of course. There are some very experimental songs like the long brooding Heroin, and the seven minute guitar wankery of European Son. But there are also some pretty catchy songs like the dreamy opener of Sunday Morning, and the poppy There She Goes Again. So really this is essential listening. You may not like it, but if you don't I respect your opinion but too bad you're wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Undergound & Nico
    superb..........classic......velvet underground

need anyone say more?

30. Post #150
    April 2010
    1,011 Posts

Every single song in Three Cheers is perfect
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Azerbaijan Show Events Disagree Disagree x 17Funny Funny x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts

hmmm

32. Post #152
    May 2009
    13,288 Posts
    I dont quite get your comment, are you saying the album is uneven or that the songs arent suited for each other for one distinct mood?

Its very far from a bad album, it has a distinct style in its own sense, because of the way they put it together. But hey thats peoples opinions. Havent heard a lot of their other work to give a distinct comparison though
    Hmm.

The three "band" tracks are great, but the solo tracks do not complement eachother at all. Do you get what I mean? The songs are good, but they don't fit together.

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    1,349 Posts
    Downward Is Heavenward - Hum

just an incredibly underrated band of the 1990's that didn't get the recognition they deserved.

Also give "Bleach" by Nirvana a listen as well, i'd reccomend "Negative Creep" and "Downer"

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts
    The songs are good, but they don't fit together.
    agreed

35. Post #155
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts

Pretty good album, definitely aphex twin's most focused work, each song compliments the other
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    5,739 Posts
    First post in this sub-forum so I don't know what's frowned upon here, but I think Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams is damn good. It puts a smile on my face every time I listen to it.

I just downloaded To the Sea (released 40 minutes ago ), and I've only listened to a couple of songs, but it sounds good so far.

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    3,367 Posts

Am I the only person who likes MCR and Metallica/slayer/megadeth etc. at the same time?

Edited:

Because most MCR listeners are branded "emos"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    I play the electric violin on desolation row
    March 2005
    2,578 Posts

One of the most influential and important albums ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts

its truly a great record, although no legendary tracks, its one of my favourites, in fact i am more likely nowadays to throw on this record than highway 61. Its an album made by a man who still has the drive to make good music, it is one of the most soothing new albums i have heard in ages. Surprised me that it immediately got the top spot in the uk and us, but i guess its a good thing, plus he has a superb croakier voice here :)

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,044 Posts

The first Led Zeppelin album.....absolute classic, when you hear it... you know the golden age has just begun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)