February 2007
    3,229 Posts
    Men of War is only 4 dollars. asdffghfdhdf
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #402
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,088 Posts
    Anyone in America up for a MP game or two of this? I've been trying to play a MP game for ages now, but all the MP servers have huge pings (due to most of them being located in Russia, I'm assuming).

3. Post #403
    Gold Member

July 2007
    3,306 Posts
    I'm thinking of buying the THQ pack and possibly this. Should I get the gold edition or just Men of War?

4. Post #404
    New map in production.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

5. Post #405
    Ricochet is awesome!
    May 2006
    1,675 Posts
    ... how do I add custom maps? I found no map folder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

6. Post #406
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,229 Posts
    I'm thinking of buying the THQ pack and possibly this. Should I get the gold edition or just Men of War?
    Just Men of War. Red Tide is singleplayer only.

7. Post #407
    December 2008
    2,123 Posts
    Is this game worth $3 on Steam? I'm buying the THQ pack and I'm willing to spend an extra $3 if the game is good.

8. Post #408
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,887 Posts
    Red Tide singleplayer is pretty good though. At least if you're interested in the setting.

Is this game worth $3 on Steam? I'm buying the THQ pack and I'm willing to spend an extra $3 if the game is good.
    Hell yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

9. Post #409
    ... how do I add custom maps? I found no map folder.
    resource/map
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

10. Post #410
    Ricochet is awesome!
    May 2006
    1,675 Posts
    resource/map
    Nothing, but I'll try making a folder.

11. Post #411
    Ricochet is awesome!
    May 2006
    1,675 Posts
    Anyone know any nice and big custom maps?

Edited:

For multiplayer of course.

12. Post #412
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,549 Posts
    Fucking commando missions :argh:
    Fuck, Behind Enemy Lines was awesome. Seriously, once I realized that the AI lacks peripheral vision, I did awesomely. I only had to kill a few people, too.

Hint: throwing knives. Use them. Oh and blow up as many artillery pieces as you can. They're pains in the ass in the morning.

13. Post #413
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,842 Posts
    I love how the cover system work. Unlike CoH.

Soldier: I'm GETTING SHOT!, UGH! need to find some cover

14. Post #414
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,549 Posts
    I kinda hope that Vietnam is the sign of a steady march of Men of War games into the modern age. Because it could be an unparalleled modern combat simulator (As it is already an unparalleled WWII one)
    I'd love to see a Men of War that featured extremley realistic (and fun) infantry combat that took place in WWI from 1914-early 1918. It would feature the Western front, the Eastern front, and the South-Eastern and South-Western fronts. Featured nations could be:

-Austria-Hungary
    -German Empire
    -Russian Empire
    -France
    -United Kingdom
    -The Ottoman Empire
    -Italy
    -Serbia
    -Bulgaria
    -Romania

Obviously, tanks wouldn't play a big role. Infantry and artillery would be very big, and there would be some cavalry action as well. Sabers included.

Edited:

I love how the cover system work. Unlike CoH.

Soldier: I'm GETTING SHOT!, UGH! need to find some cover
    Sometimes they do some weird shit though.

*On Moscow is Behind Us*

5 Russian riflemen: "Oh no, a small German armored vehicle has driven into the trench after having the ever-loving shit shot out of it by a T-34! I had better run out of the trench quickly and expose myself, rather than run 10 feet to the side and continue not being dead!"

Me: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

15. Post #415
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    Planes are hard to fly and usualy just leave my field of view so I can't fly them and then they fly off map and I lose units or they crash.

16. Post #416
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,229 Posts
    I'd love to see a Men of War that featured extremley realistic (and fun) infantry combat that took place in WWI from 1914-early 1918. It would feature the Western front, the Eastern front, and the South-Eastern and South-Western fronts. Featured nations could be:

-Austria-Hungary
    -German Empire
    -Russian Empire
    -France
    -United Kingdom
    -The Ottoman Empire
    -Italy
    -Serbia
    -Bulgaria
    -Romania

Obviously, tanks wouldn't play a big role. Infantry and artillery would be very big, and there would be some cavalry action as well. Sabers included.

Edited:

Sometimes they do some weird shit though.

*On Moscow is Behind Us*

5 Russian riflemen: "Oh no, a small German armored vehicle has driven into the trench after having the ever-loving shit shot out of it by a T-34! I had better run out of the trench quickly and expose myself, rather than run 10 feet to the side and continue not being dead!"

Me: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

This guy has more videos of his WW1 mod.

17. Post #417
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    3,836 Posts
    i'm more interested in a more modern men of war
    yeah SAY cliche and over done as much as you want, but theres hardly been any modern RTS games, let alone realistic and fun ones like MoW

18. Post #418
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    yeah SAY cliche and over done as much as you want, but theres hardly been any modern RTS games, let alone realistic and fun ones like MoW
    Well next then I want them to cover all the old wars and maybe a civil war one, then we can do futuristic men of war and then everything will be complete and no more RTS games that suck!

19. Post #419
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    July 2006
    7,049 Posts
    Well there is a modern warfare mod at the moment: http://www.moddb.com/mods/price-of-terrorism
    Don't know what to say though since I've never tried it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #420
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    7,561 Posts
    Its shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #421
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    667 Posts
    Its the shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

22. Post #422
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    He was talking about the modern warefare mod.

23. Post #423
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    667 Posts
    Oh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

24. Post #424
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,549 Posts
    Actually, on rethinking, I agree. But not completely modern; I think 1986 would be good. You could have:

-The People's Republic of China
    -The USSR/RSFSR
    -The USA
    -West Germany
    -East Germany
    -Israel
    -Egypt
    -Syria
    -Poland

Now, if it were to keep true to the Men of War company-level combat, I think it would be good, but IMO, for the modern era, something grander would be better. After thinking about it, I actually have some distinct ideas, but I don't quite think Men of War is the game for them, which is a shame, because Men of War is pretty awesome. If it does turn out, however, with time, that Men of War's sequels can support brigade and division sized units, that would be awesome.

Edited:

This guy has more videos of his WW1 mod.
    I know about the mod, but the actual company has significantly more resources. Besides, they could update GEM to work for WWI far better than it does now.

25. Post #425
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,066 Posts
    Actually, on rethinking, I agree. But not completely modern; I think 1986 would be good. You could have:

-The People's Republic of China
    -The USSR/RSFSR
    -The USA
    -West Germany
    -East Germany
    -Israel
    -Egypt
    -Syria
    -Poland

Now, if it were to keep true to the Men of War company-level combat, I think it would be good, but IMO, for the modern era, something grander would be better. After thinking about it, I actually have some distinct ideas, but I don't quite think Men of War is the game for them, which is a shame, because Men of War is pretty awesome. If it does turn out, however, with time, that Men of War's sequels can support brigade and division sized units, that would be awesome.

Edited:

I know about the mod, but the actual company has significantly more resources. Besides, they could update GEM to work for WWI far better than it does now.
    Grander? Either it's going to be micromanagement hell or it will need some AI subordinates to conduct the orders you've issued to them. The ideal system be something like a division commander only ordering his brigade commanders and them only ordering their battalion commanders, all down the chain of command to the squad and fireteam elements. Without it, organization would fall apart.

The 1980s is a great era for a military strategy game that's set after WWII. You've got roughly equal sides in terms of combat capability, full combined arms and it's distinctly different from today's view of conventional warfare, which is basically nothing but "push button wars" and precision munitions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

26. Post #426
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,549 Posts
    Grander? Either it's going to be micromanagement hell or it will need some AI subordinates to conduct the orders you've issued to them. The ideal system be something like a division commander only ordering his brigade commanders and them only ordering their battalion commanders, all down the chain of command to the squad and fireteam elements. Without it, organization would fall apart.

The 1980s is a great era for a military strategy game that's set after WWII. You've got roughly equal sides in terms of combat capability, full combined arms and it's distinctly different from today's view of conventional warfare, which is basically nothing but "push button wars" and precision munitions.
    Exactly what I was thinking. It could work something like this:

-You play as a Major General or Rear Admiral (Oh, yeah, that's right, there should be an extremley detailed naval system as well. I think Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising is an excellent example, at least to give an idea of what the naval warfare would be like. I don't really want to go into detail on Naval matters though.)
    -Assuming you play on land, you give orders to a Colonel, who is in command of a brigade
    -They give orders to their Lieutenant Colonels who are in command of regiments
    -They give orders to their battalions
    -Their battalions give orders to their companies
    -The companies give orders to platoons
    -Platoons give orders to squads. Generally, however, infantry units will advance/do anything in platoons, but they operate in squads.

You, as divisional commander, would set overall objectives. You could micromanage down to the squad level if you really wanted to, but the AI would be such that there would not be a need for it. Your role would be less directly controlling the battle (unless you wanted to; you could still have Men of War style battles, just company against company. There would be a completely separate gamemode set for that) and more watching and dictating when to throw reserves in, and you would have to pay very close attention to the situation of the air, and call in fighter/bomber reserves accordingly. Radar would play a huge part in air warfare, and, as a direct result, so would jamming. It would be a very complicated game methinks.

The AI, of course, would be very, very self sufficient. I suppose the AI, at least at the small unit level, would have to be comparable to Arma 2 AI at its best (which, with some mods, like GL4 and Zeus AI thrown in, is really goddamn awesome.) Then, of course, there would be the military doctrine of the countries to consider, and the fighting style, and the type of troop and their respective equipment and training. All of these would dictate how the AI would act. Enemy actions would also of course have a big (largest, if the commander is skilled*) impact on the actions as well.

Oh and air would play a huge role. That's obvious though.

*The AI leaders would have varying skill levels; best being a modern Suvorov basically, and worst being one of those chicken-shit officers from the Sharpe series.

As for modern, 2010-modern-warfare, I think a war between two military superpowers (Russia and the US, China and Russia, India and China, etc) would be fascinating due to the at least similar technological states of the armies. I still think the 1980s would be a better time period though.

27. Post #427
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,887 Posts
    China doesn't have equivalent technology to fight either US or Russia, they have lots of troops, but little means of transporting them. Is India even involved with the quarrels with other big nations? All I know is that they want to nuke Pakistan or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

28. Post #428
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,066 Posts
    China doesn't have equivalent technology to fight either US or Russia, they have lots of troops, but little means of transporting them. Is India even involved with the quarrels with other big nations? All I know is that they want to nuke Pakistan or something.
    Technology should be a secondary matter when it comes to your military doctrine and the tactics your guys will utilize in battle. Even then, the Western perception of the PLA being nothing than "untrained conscripts with AKs, T-55s and MiG-21s" is totally wrong.

The PLA isn't interested in doing the long-range power projection stuff the US does with their giant airlift fleet and carrier battle groups. Their concerns of regional power projection and national defense makes expeditionary warfare as much of a concern as the US has with replacing B-52s.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

29. Post #429
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,887 Posts
    I was just commenting on a US vs China scenario. It'd have to be US attacking or China attacking their ally, really. The PLA doesn't have the capability to bring their troops over the pacific.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

30. Post #430
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,549 Posts
    Er, no, you know, they basically do. If they're behind at all, it's by very little. The Chinese army is modern. You'll find relatively few T-55s in their military. They have some in reserve, but that makes sense. Why throw away a perfectly good tank?

As for India: they're an emerging power, I suppose. They deserve some representation.

Edited:

I was just commenting on a US vs China scenario. It'd have to be US attacking or China attacking their ally, really. The PLA doesn't have the capability to bring their troops over the pacific.
    So? It doesn't have to be fought in China or the US.

31. Post #431
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,549 Posts
    God fucking dammit thread don't die.

32. Post #432
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,246 Posts
    I just bought this game, the editor is so easy to use, I've only done one mission in campaign, but made 5 missions in the editor. Suggest a good mod for me.

33. Post #433

February 2010
    3,109 Posts
    Is there any way to play the campaign on editing mode ? like a normal mission but with the unit placing screen and all that ?

I really want to mess with planes and nukes on the early missions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events

34. Post #434
    YOU ARE DUMB AND NOBODY LIKES YOU
    January 2010
    6,056 Posts
    Is there any way to play the campaign on editing mode ? like a normal mission but with the unit placing screen and all that ?

I really want to mess with planes and nukes on the early missions.
    yeah. open the editor, hit F3 and then hit escape. Load will let you load missions instead of just maps. If you load single player missions through that, you can hit the start button and do whatever you want to the campaign mission in real time

play the ruskie POW mission and drop a king tiger next to you and have at it

35. Post #435

February 2010
    3,109 Posts
    Haha... thanks

Loads operation torch, first US mission, set off a nuke on the end of the village, sit and watch while the whole placed gets torched to the ground.

:smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events

36. Post #436
    August 2010
    6,171 Posts
    Assault Squad is fucking awesome, I highly recommend you guys get it when it comes out.

Scenarios <3

37. Post #437
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,388 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #438
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,887 Posts
    So, somewhat better textures, and more contrast, and better models.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #439
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    17,333 Posts
    Holy shit where did this thread come from. I almost posted in the other one.

Edited:

Looks like both threads were active around the same time periods :confused:

40. Post #440
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    7,656 Posts
    The other one ("Company of Heroes + ArmA = Men of War" or whatever) was active when the game was released and then somebody bumped it while this was active.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events