1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,959 Posts
    I bet you want to enact a new Korean war just in case the current conflict doesn't escalate

Yes, it does include one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2006
    2,581 Posts
    You can call in aircraft?

Link that mod to me now.
    Due to russians being russians, the Digitalmindsoft servers have divided by zero for the 24514th time. Can't link anything bro.

And by the way, the reason why theres North Korea included is because their equipment in reality is so old that it's mostly from World War 2 era
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #83
    Dat'

Edited:

Fixd roundness :v
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

4. Post #84
    December 2008
    1,272 Posts
    And by the way, the reason why theres North Korea included is because their equipment in reality is so old that it's mostly from World War 2 era
    So do they look like Koreans, or are they a mix of Russian and Japanese appearing units?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    7,656 Posts
    Just Russian as it is if I remember correctly. DCG is for a version before Japan was added.

By the way, if your maps aren't extracting properly then move 4.pat and 5.pat out of your game folder and extract/play like that. Replace the files if you want to play online.

Also it's Korean War era Koreans, so they're using soviet equipment anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    7,656 Posts
    I'm having a bit of trouble in the editor.
    I've made a medium sized city outskirts sort of map and all the scenery is about 3/4 done. But when I test the mission I'm constricted to a tiny area of the map. I check and it seems to be a problem with some camera setting or another. All my placed units run to that cube too so I'm guessing it's the 'play area'.
    How do I made it so that this area covers the entire map?

7. Post #87
    I'm having a bit of trouble in the editor.
    I've made a medium sized city outskirts sort of map and all the scenery is about 3/4 done. But when I test the mission I'm constricted to a tiny area of the map. I check and it seems to be a problem with some camera setting or another. All my placed units run to that cube too so I'm guessing it's the 'play area'.
    How do I made it so that this area covers the entire map?
    Check the "camera" icon , it controls playable area and fog. Drag the boxes in the 3d view to change it.

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    7,656 Posts
    If the DMS forums weren't down this thread would be entirely dead.

My map is finished, I realised what was missing from it - grass and bushes. Thanks for the help Profanwolf. Now what do I do with the map?

From the screenshots I can see myself that I can fix a few things still; borders on the main cemetery path and walls along the back country road. Anything else? Or maybe I should share the map if I knew how.

9. Post #89
    More mapping progress:

Edited:

And Cheesedelux that looks fantastic, you should even out the cemetery a bit, the bits seem to be floating, either even it out, or selecet the cemetery blocks and set "constrain" in object properties to surface, it will align properly to surface angle and such. It's quite useful.

Edited:

And you might want to change some of the texmods for the building, or put different buildings so it doesn't all look the same.

Edited:

For example a house can look like this at first,

And theres plenty of skins in the dropdown list.

Winter skins:

Edited:

Or this house:
    At first.

Skins:

Edited:

Oops floating trees

Edited:

Logging camp improved. :banjo:

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    7,656 Posts
    Ooh, that looks useful. I only found out about disabling sections of building and alternate chunks when I was almost done, before that the bombed houses were a bit of a mess.
    I probably wouldn't change the row houses too much, maybe I'll just switch around the attic windows and front doors a bit. Maybe one or two with different roofs.

11. Post #91
    In this picture

Where the walls are floating, set their "constrain" to surface, and it will align.

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,959 Posts
    I can see some .jpg artifacting there. So much for .jpg being superior (look at the map).

Edited:

I know it's not your screenshot though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #93
    I can see some .jpg artifacting there. So much for .jpg being superior (look at the map).

Edited:

Oh jesus christ are you really that picky, i never said jpg was superior. I said it was better for those who don't magically get amazing internet.

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,927 Posts

Edited:

You will rarely notice it unless you go looking for it, not to mention these images are to show the maps, not to show off how good the graphics look. If it had been some image of 3Dmark 2010 maxed out then yeah, .png would be the way, but for this .png isn't worth the extra second to load.

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,959 Posts
    :saddowns:

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    7,656 Posts
    I usually use PNG, it's just that a sharp image isn't really necessary.
    And those walls aren't actually floating, it's just that I had the camera at a lower angle than is usually allowed so the lighting was casting the shadow in a weird way.
    I've fixed up a ton of stuff. Now what can I actually do with it?

17. Post #97
    Chicken Farm thing

18. Post #98
    Nuke aftermath:

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,927 Posts
    I have been trying to make a map, and while they aren't hard to do (it's mostly about patience), I find it hard to find inspiration.

20. Post #100
    The wonders of mines

and acds, just look at bestway's maps, think of something you want to do after looking at them, it's usually what i do, or steal from movies or something

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,927 Posts
    The wonders of mines

and acds, just look at bestway's maps, think of something you want to do after looking at them, it's usually what i do, or steal from movies or something
    Yeah I think I'll do that, thanks. Especially the movies part, since I have a few WW2 movies I haven't watched yet.
    In fact I'm watching a documentary about the war in the Pacific yesterday, and I was thinking that it would be awesome to have a (mostly) ship-based map (like two islands with ships divided by water, with an airfield each). That said I have no idea how well ships work in MoW, I know that they work (and are pretty damn cool with destructible parts ans stuff), but if they are somewhat broken it's no use basing a map on them. Oh and ships can't transport vehicles, which might be another problem.

22. Post #102
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,959 Posts
    I think you can add a trigger that a cargo ship that has those covered vehicles spawns the vehicles when it's at the shore

in the German campaign the Brits got more and more tanks unless you shot their ships down

23. Post #103
    I think you can add a trigger that a cargo ship that has those covered vehicles spawns the vehicles when it's at the shore

in the German campaign the Brits got more and more tanks unless you shot their ships down
    Except it's absolutely atrocious trying to script that :ohdear: LVCP's is where i get enough, vehicles? Thats just too much.

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,927 Posts

Yeah it's definitely possible to script it, but I'm not that "good" (I put the "" because it's more a question of patience and time to learn than skill).
    Also, there being two team of players, it would need to be a script that recognizes the exact vehicle, it's team and it's status when it is loaded onto the boat (ammo, crew and so on) then spawn it when it reaches the shore (or just move the tank somewhere hidden, then move it to the shore when it reaches it).

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    7,656 Posts
    When I play my map in the editor it seems it work kind of badly. Firstly it runs a lot slower than the actual game and also buildings absolutely never get destroyed by explosions. They only time they can be damaged is with a direct hit from an AT grenade or driving a tank through them. The AI left to it's own devices is a bit dumb too, they seemed to pour out of the town and line up on the road embankment to die.

I suppose most of my map is a lot like that level in Medal of Honour: Frontline with the Dutch(?) town and you end up going through a lot of rows of houses and weaving between gardens and alleys behind the houses. With the house you went through with a family trying to eat their dinner.

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,304 Posts
    Superior to Company of Heroes in everything except graphics and popularity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    When I play my map in the editor it seems it work kind of badly. Firstly it runs a lot slower than the actual game and also buildings absolutely never get destroyed by explosions. They only time they can be damaged is with a direct hit from an AT grenade or driving a tank through them. The AI left to it's own devices is a bit dumb too, they seemed to pour out of the town and line up on the road embankment to die.

I suppose most of my map is a lot like that level in Medal of Honour: Frontline with the Dutch(?) town and you end up going through a lot of rows of houses and weaving between gardens and alleys behind the houses. With the house you went through with a family trying to eat their dinner.
    Oh jesus i hated that frontline map, and make sure the tanks are using HE shells to fire at the buildings, and try artillery, and AP grenades will never do you any good, they weren't meant to damage structure.

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,959 Posts
    Normal grenades don't do shit against buildings, but AT crumbles them pretty well. FYI the Soviet army used AT grenades in Berlin to go from house to house through walls. No need to step outside.

29. Post #109
    November 2009
    10,143 Posts
    Someone please teach me how to edit pak files and make my tank/troops invincible and fire 120mm cannons like a machinegun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Singapore Show Events

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    7,656 Posts
    Oh jesus i hated that frontline map, and make sure the tanks are using HE shells to fire at the buildings, and try artillery, and AP grenades will never do you any good, they weren't meant to damage structure.
    I mean I fire 10 HE shells from a heavy tank at a building and there's craters like UNDER the walls but there's no a scratch on the structure.

31. Post #111
    I mean I fire 10 HE shells from a heavy tank at a building and there's craters like UNDER the walls but there's no a scratch on the structure.
    :ohdear:

Edited:

Men of war Nuke Video on my map

Edited:

God bless triggers, i managed to make a automatic artillery gun ahahah

Edited:

Automatic Artillery Video

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #112
    This bitch fired 3 rockets at the same time using same method as for artillery

33. Post #113
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    January 2007
    2,682 Posts
    If anyone sees a game hosted by either: Mildob, Longy221 or Seaman_stainesSCO mention that you're from facepunch and ask to get on our vent so we can go and kill some eastern europeans together :buddy:

34. Post #114
    Endless Beach Assault

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,432 Posts
    I've read quite a lot about this game, I usually enjoy strategy and tactical games. One of my favourites is Company of Heroes, though I noticed how there are huge difference between both.

Could anyone give me a name of a similiar game or explain the game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Luxembourg Show Events

36. Post #116
    WAHAHAAHAHAAH THE EVIL
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

37. Post #117
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    January 2007
    2,682 Posts
    I've read quite a lot about this game, I usually enjoy strategy and tactical games. One of my favourites is Company of Heroes, though I noticed how there are huge difference between both.

Could anyone give me a name of a similiar game or explain the game?
    It's basically a very realistic tactical RTS, focusing on the management of squads and individual soldiers or vehicles rather than bases and economy. Every single man in the game has his own inventory, weapon stats etc, even the tank crews. Say if your tank gets knocked out and a crewman survives, you could loot the wrecked tank for it's hull MG and turn your lowly tank crewman into a formidible force, or arm him with dynamite and use him as a stealthy tank hunter. That's the main premise of the game, there are no DPS calculations for any of the units. A Sherman M4A2 will NEVER get through the frontal armour of a Tiger tank, because there are no health bars (apart from with infantry, but it's location based damage). You can kill the games most expensive super heavy tank with the cheapest, weakest soldier in the right circumstances. The armour damage model is extremely detailed, taking range, velocity, ammunition type, angle and obviously thickness into account.

The direct control feature is the best thing about this game. Hit the endkey on the keyboard and it turns from an RTS into a top down third person shooter. Don't trust the AI for that tricky shot? Take over and do it yourself. Want to position your tank inside a house and poke the gun out of the front window? Use direct control and plow in through the kitchen. By the way, that's a fully destructable enviroment encorporated with a good physics engine and cover system. Not enough cover in the street for your infantry? Level a house with your tank and take cover behind the rubble, or blow a hole through the wall and occupy the windows.

There is no base building. It's much more realistic than CoH, and requires a different kind of RTS skill to master.

38. Post #118
    Fly my pretties fly!

Edited:

Dat Beach.

39. Post #119
    Started on a winter map.

40. Post #120
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,927 Posts
    I love it when hosts ragequit. First he went "only arty=kick" (which makes no sense, since we were 6vs6 so why not have each player specialize in a category?) and kicked one of our team (so one of his opponents). Then he sends a single Panzer 4 against a KV-85 and a IS-2, it gets one-shotted and he quits the game.
    Another time I got a scout to the hosts artillery position (a Katyusha, a mortar and a few artillery pieces), plant a charge, his Katyusha blows up taking everything around with it, host ragequits a few seconds after.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)