1. Post #1
    February 2010
    5,893 Posts
    Three men are facing federal fraud charges for allegedly raking in more than US$100 million while running an illegal "scareware" business that tricked victims into installing bogus software.

Two of the men, Bjorn Sundin and Shaileshkumar Jain, operated an antivirus company called Innovative Marketing, which sold products such as WinFixer, Antivirus 2008, Malware Alarm and VirusRemover 2008. The third man charged, James Reno, ran Byte Hosting Internet Services, the company that operated Innovative Marketing's call centers.

The company's products generated so many consumer complaints that the FTC brought a civil action against Innovative Marketing and Byte Hosting in 2008, effectively putting them out of business.

On Wednesday, a grand jury in Chicago handed down the criminal charges, meaning the three men now face jail time if convicted.

Reno is expected to turn himself in for arraignment, the U.S. Department of Justice said in a press release Thursday. Authorities believe that Jain and Sundin are living in Ukraine and Sweden, respectively.

In a September 2009 e-mail to the IDG News Service, Reno said he was a young and na´ve businessmen who was taken advantage of by Innovative Marketing. "I made some mistakes, of course," he said, "however they kept us in the dark on a lot of their operation."

According to prosecutors, Innovative Marketing set up fictitious advertising agencies that would buy online inventory from media companies, pretending to represent legitimate companies. They then pushed out ads with hidden computer code that generated scary-looking pop-up messages, designed to look like operating system errors or antivirus scans.

The end result was always the same. To get rid of the pop-up warnings, users would have to buy Innovative Marketing's worthless software, prosecutors allege.

Byte Hosting's call centers were then used to "deflect complaints from victims who purchased Innovative Marketing software products," the Department of Justice (DoJ) said.

The scheme convinced victims in more than 60 countries to buy more than 1 million bogus programs, the DoJ said.
    3 down, more to go. I'm sick of these shit antivirus programs.

Src
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,024 Posts
    The worst scamware you have to deal with is called Microsoft Windows :banjo:

boxes ahoy

(User was banned for this post ("Dumb" - SteveUK))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Czech Republic Show Events Dumb x 129Funny x 4Optimistic x 3Disagree x 3Agree x 3Informative x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,413 Posts
    Excellent, there goes Antivirus 20XX
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    June 2007
    676 Posts
    These fuckers ruined my computer once upon a time. Glad to see they're down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,712 Posts
    Thank fuck. I got bored of having to uninstall it from my old aunt's laptop

Edited:

To be honest, if you download it you deserve it. When did you fall victim?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,047 Posts
    Fucking finally. These fuck tards deserve to get anally raped every day they're in jail.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28 (list)

7. Post #7
    May 2010
    2,348 Posts
    Assholes tricking internet retards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,497 Posts

boxes ahoy
    good god, at least put some effort into it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    February 2010
    2,202 Posts
    That's surprising that they're American - I thought they'd be eastern European types
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,727 Posts
    Ah, justice at last.

Just another hundred thousand to go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts

boxes ahoy
    No, you're obviously thinking of OS X. They over charge you for something that is worth half the value that you could make yourself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 26Disagree Disagree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    4,533 Posts
    I got attacked by AntiVirus2008

Oh boy, never again, I hope they are forced to hit bricks with a pickaxe for the rest of their lives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,727 Posts
    Oh boy, never again, I hope they are forced to hit bricks with a pickaxe for the rest of their lives.
    "It is hereby acknowledged in this court that you both are sentenced to 10 years hard labor - deleting spam emails from hotmail accounts".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 16Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,009 Posts
    I got attacked by AntiVirus2008

I hope they're hit with bricks and pickaxes for the rest of their lives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,413 Posts
    Thank fuck. I got bored of having to uninstall it from my old aunt's laptop

Edited:

To be honest, if you download it you deserve it. When did you fall victim?
    He probably didn't download it voluntarily, these things will force their way onto your PC through exploits or malicious ads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    June 2009
    867 Posts
    was this the "SCANNING YUR COMPUTER, OMG YU HAS THIS MANY VIRUS!" with the default windows XP color scheme 'scanning' window?

my uncle fell for that, took the computer to geeksquad to fix. it popped up on my ubuntu once as well.

if not, i have no idea what is being talked about here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,592 Posts
    Maybe some day the developers of Norton Antivirus will be taken down. What a garbage program.

A man can dream.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    7,095 Posts
    meh, a lot of the people who fall for this have it coming to them.

They should learn a thing or two about "that machine they put their personal and bank details into"

19. Post #19
    March 2010
    1,161 Posts
    If you are stupid enough to download a program called antivirus 2008 you deserve to be scammed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    We Are No Idiots
    March 2010
    4,644 Posts

boxes ahoy
    Oh dear, look how dumb you look now.

21. Post #21
    I can resist everything except temptation
    January 2008
    3,661 Posts
    If you are stupid enough to download a program called antivirus 2008 you deserve to be scammed.
    This.

EDIT: 200 posts :fuckyou:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

22. Post #22
    March 2010
    4,725 Posts
    That's no accomplishment
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    August 2009
    5,582 Posts
    I half expected it to be Norton
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,359 Posts
    You know, I was always rather suspicious of Norton's "let us save all your passwords, bank information, and more for you!" Theoretically, wouldn't it be easier to actually hack the anti-virus program and get the information that way than using something like a key logger? I'm not suggesting anyone actually do this, but come on! If you can't remember it, you probably shouldn't be using it.

I have Avast now. Pretty happy with it. It doesn't even run scans in the middle of a fucking game.

25. Post #25
    February 2010
    7,900 Posts
    They're fucking backdoor viruses, and they've infected my PC more than once. Thankfully, I've managed to get rid of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,662 Posts
    Maybe some day the developers of Norton Antivirus will be taken down. What a garbage program.

A man can dream.
    I will implode with happiness once that shitty antivirus is killed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,688 Posts

boxes ahoy
    you're either a mac user or some retard who thinks he's awesome because he uses linux
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,264 Posts
    was this the "SCANNING YUR COMPUTER, OMG YU HAS THIS MANY VIRUS!" with the default windows XP color scheme 'scanning' window?

my uncle fell for that, took the computer to geeksquad to fix. it popped up on my ubuntu once as well.

if not, i have no idea what is being talked about here.
    Yeah, it's kind of like that, and it's super annoying. It'll keep telling you to put in your credit card info to upgrade it and get rid of all your "Viruses."
    It'll also severely fuck over your computer, constantly nagging you to enter in your credit card info, slowing down your computer majorly, and more.

Glad to see these assholes got arrested. I hope more do get arrested.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,604 Posts
    No, you're obviously thinking of OS X. They over charge you for something that is worth half the value that you could make yourself.
    OS X
    Windows 7

*cough*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    December 2006
    593 Posts
    I had Antivirus 2008. That fucker messed with my system 32 and registry. It took me 2 whole hours just to get rid of it.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,698 Posts
    Surely the ability to run Windows 7 out of the box on any hardware you want so long as it meets technical requirements is a plus, over the fact that buying OS X requires that you own a Mac, at least out of the box it does, and it also requires that you own a Mac computer powerful enough to run OS X, which is a catch 22 because if the computer can run OS X, it likely came with OS X.

tl;dr So what, OS X is cheaper, but it's marketed differently.

32. Post #32
    November 2007
    358 Posts

A man can dream.
    :bandwagon:

You obviously know nothing about the latest versions of Norton, or antiviruses in general.

Edited:

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,533 Posts
    I got this scareware from a facepunch ad. The day I got it I cursed the creators hoping they they would one day be caught or killed.

34. Post #34
    April 2010
    404 Posts
    oh shit i must of been scammed aswell i had virus remover :/
    its no wonder why i lost my wow account well good job to whoever caught the tossers

35. Post #35
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,024 Posts
    Ok, both of them. They are somewhat on par.

36. Post #36
    Facepunch's Local Lycanthrope
    December 2008
    1,766 Posts
    You do realise you need to buy Leopard first to upgrade to Snow Leopard, which is alot more then Windows 7.

Edit: Actually, I'm wrong. But Windows still kicks ass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Jersey Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,809 Posts
    Some people really know how to scam.

38. Post #38
    October 2008
    1,058 Posts
    THANK YOU

These guys pissed all over my first laptop.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,937 Posts
    Haha unlucky fuckers.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,592 Posts
    :bandwagon:

You obviously know nothing about the latest versions of Norton, or antiviruses in general.

Edited:

View YouTUBE video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5Z7GSXNXmLk

Edited:

View YouTUBE video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6MUuUT6OPIg

What fucking bandwagon? I used to use Norton for two years, it was a huge piece of crap. It demanded permission for everything, it would constantly minimize my games, and then when I finally had a serious threat to my PC, it didn't do shit all about it. I spent a huge amount of time uninstalling it, and then I had to wind up reformatting my PC anyways.

They screwed up once, I don't give a flying fuck about the new bells and whistles they put into the new programs. If they made such a huge piece of shit back then, why should I buy it now? every computer-savvy individual I've ever talked to agrees that Norton is a huge joke. I don't know where you come from, but when a company makes a really bad product, they are generally supported to tank because of it, and the good programs take over. That's not the case with Norton.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)