1. Post #81
    December 2009
    2,454 Posts
    Dude i leave my computer on at night and i don't notice it and its a CM690 II pimped out with 10 big fans...
    Trust me, when you go to bed it will NOT annoy you

2. Post #82
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    I know they get outdated, that's why I want a overclock friendly computer, so I can push my hardware really far. That's also why I am going for watercooling.

Edited:

I changed some things, here is the new build:

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D - $300
    Intel Core i7 920 - $270
    EVGA X58 SLI LE, Socket-1366 - $300
    Asus Radeon HD 5970 (Dual GPU) - $770
    Corsair Dominator TWIN3X DDR3-1600 6 GB (3x2GB) - $240
    Zalman ZM-MFC3 - $90
    Chieftec A-135 Series 1000W PSU - $220
    CoolIT OMNI Interposer Plate AMD HD5970 - $85
    Watercool Heatkiller LT 3.0 CPU - $80
    OCZ Vertex 2 100 GB - $480
    OCZ XTC Cooler - $12

Rough estimate - $2847 [ Which leaves $353 to spend on watercooling. Is that possible? ]

Edited:

I still need help to find a good complete watercooling set, and I don't mind changing the already chosen waterblocks. I need pump + waterblocks + tubing + reservoir / t-line

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    That SSD has been reviewed and rated the fastest (sata) SSD out right now
    Actually its pretty much on a par with the new SandForce based SSDs. And it has had a few reliability problems too, im not saying its rubbish or anything, I was thinking of getting one recently, but the new SandForce SSDs would be a better bet.

Edited:

Intel Core i7 920 - $270
    Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000 CL7 6 GB - $440
    Zalman ZM-MFC3 - $90
    OCZSSD2-1VTXT120G Vertex Turbo - $470
    OCZ XTC Cooler - $12
    Change that Vertex turbo to a Vertex 2, its way, way better.

How much are you looking to spend on all the watercooling?

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,324 Posts
    Dude SLi GTX 480 will not get out dated for another 5+ Years

Even 8 seeming the rate we are making technological advances and the limit of actual power you can have.
    My GTX 280's have been "outdated" for a year now. Doesn't mean I need anything else right now but you guys seem to think that buying the top of the line GPU means you're set to be king for years, that isn't the case. Also don't spend that kind of money on a tower, If I spent $4k on a machine, I'd buy a nice shiny new 30" display, a top of the line PC (no water-cooling, that's useless) and all the peripherals to round off the deal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    April 2008
    530 Posts
    Lol, I sleep with a loud ass fan at night cause silence bothers me when trying to sleep.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #86
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,528 Posts
    Go for Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 GB instead, for less of 200 dollars at least. The difference is barely nothing.

7. Post #87
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    Go for Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 GB instead, for less of 200 dollars at least. The difference is barely nothing.
    Thanks, I was wondering if it was a bit overkill. Do I still need to buy memory coolers then? Not that 12 dollars is that much.

Edited:

Actually its pretty much on a par with the new SandForce based SSDs. And it has had a few reliability problems too, im not saying its rubbish or anything, I was thinking of getting one recently, but the new SandForce SSDs would be a better bet.

Edited:

Change that Vertex turbo to a Vertex 2, its way, way better.

How much are you looking to spend on all the watercooling?
    I will thanks. I'm looking to spend $300 - $550. I don't know the entire cost yet, though.

Anything else I should think of/change?

8. Post #88
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,528 Posts
    The Coolermaster HAF X seems to be a real beauty case (and big!), for 200$/180€. But it depends of your opinion of course. In my side, I love this case.

The memory cooler is useless if you don't want to overclock your RAM, which is more useless.

9. Post #89
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    Here is the build I am on right now, let me know if I can make any changes to the build.

Intel Core i7 920 - $270
    Corsair Dominator TWIN3X DDR3-1600 6 GB (3x2GB) - $240
    Zalman ZM-MFC3 - $90
    OCZ Vertex 2 100 GB - $480

Rough estimate - $2835 [ Which leaves $353 to spend on watercooling. Is that possible? ]

Immediate quesitions:

- How many 120mm fans does the top outlet of the case hold? For the rad I mean.
    - Do I place the rad on the top of the case? Right underneith the top point, where the grill is.
    - How big of a tank do I need?
    - How much Flow rate / head pressure do I need for this build?
    - 3/8 or 1/2 tubing?
    - Do I want silicon for my tubing?

10. Post #90
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,528 Posts
    Besides, don't know about the watercooling management of HAF X.

Edited:

Ninja'd

11. Post #91
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    Besides, don't know about the watercooling management of HAF X.

Edited:

Ninja'd
    I've spent every minute (almost) of every day since I made this thread hitting the refresh button. :P

12. Post #92
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,947 Posts
    Please get rid of the Chieftec PSU and get an Enermax or Corsair, or something.

13. Post #93
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    Please get rid of the Chieftec PSU and get an Enermax or Corsair, or something.
    Do you reccomend the Corsair 750w PSU?

Edited:

Also, please answer these questions.

Immediate quesitions:

- How many 120mm fans does the top outlet of the case hold? For the rad I mean.
    - Do I place the rad on the top of the case? Right underneith the top point, where the grill is.
    - How big of a tank do I need?
    - How much Flow rate / head pressure do I need for this build?
    - 3/8 or 1/2 tubing?
    - Do I want silicon for my tubing?

14. Post #94

November 2007
    864 Posts
    Get a corsair 1000w :]

15. Post #95
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    How much is that?

Edited:

Get a corsair 1000w :]
    Really, really expensive. So that's a negative.

16. Post #96
    December 2009
    2,454 Posts
    you dont NEED water cooling.

17. Post #97
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    you dont NEED water cooling.
    I am going to overclock the CPU to about 4.1ghz or about there. You still don't think I need it?

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    No, we don't. You'll be fine with fans..

19. Post #99
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    So you think I am doing this for the sake of fans? You think I seek attention at LAN parties?

Yes sir, I do. And I got the stones for it, so why not go all the way? I have already contacted a friend of a friend that have been building water-cooled computer for several years now. I can talk to him about reccomendations and help on installing the setup. I also want to push my hardware as much as possible to make sure they hold as long as possible.

I love the way water-cooling looks, and I am not afraid to charter uncharted teritories. I love building computers, and I think this is a great challenge I can overcome. So whatever you might I say, I really, really want to go for water cooling.

Also, I love the attention at LAN parties, and I like for people to believe that I have a great computer, and I want to show it off. I'm also attending the crew section at the LAN party, so that helps.

20. Post #100
    November 2009
    1,551 Posts
    Oh, so this is just for getting a big dick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    December 2009
    2,454 Posts
    lol lanpartys, never been to one, smells of fat and Maccy dz

Dude really, just pimp your case out with fans and get a really good CPU Cooler. And you wont get W/C for $400

22. Post #102
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    Oh, so this is just for getting a big dick.
    I also very much care of my case looking good. I don't just do it for the attention, I also do it because I am addicted to buying the latest and greatest, it's a big flaw, but I need to feed the cravings, which is also the reason why i'm spending $3,200 on the computer.

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    You got problemos' senioros! Don't just do it for showing shit off, nobody's gonna help you to do that. Not here anyway..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #104
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    Well, I can go for a complete air cooling, but I want to overclock every single hardware that can be overclocked, and still have decent temperatures.

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    Ok, I can see it make sense with the GPU and RAM, but the CPU? I don't think it'll be a problem. But if you really wnat to show off at the LAN party's just go ahead, and get water cooling and a nice case. Just go with one 5970, I can't see why you would need more, and crossfireX with those are expensive. If you go a little cheaper, then you can show off to in the years to come by upgrading, and make it even faster.

26. Post #106
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    Well, I am not going to buy two 5970's, just one with Dual GPU.
    What do you think I should do?

27. Post #107
    M_B
    Also a fellow SHART fangirl
    September 2005
    17,978 Posts
    do you really need a three hundred dollar case?

if you're trying to meet a budget then maxing out what you can spend on a case is pretty silly

28. Post #108
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    You think I should go for the 700d instead?

29. Post #109
    Gold Member

August 2006
    1,003 Posts
    Don't get a 5970.

Get 2 5870's. They will overclock much easier and higher and output more performance than a 5970. Of course, if you had more money, you could Tri-Fire 3 5870's, as they will be slightly faster than dual 5970's (even though it has one more core) due to the lower clock speed. If you get proper water cooling you could run both cards at 1000+ Mhz core clock paired with the i7 at 4.0Ghz and that would have a lot of power, but you need a strong pump and a triple 120mm fan radiator, and the radiator most likely will have to be outside of the case unless you can somehow fit it in the case, which I don't think you could do on the 800D. There's a few cases out there that you can mount a Triple fan rad on the bottom but I don't know which ones they are.

Refer to this thread for more info on the Tri-Fire thing. They seem to claim that it scales really well.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=252655

30. Post #110
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    Wouldn't two 5870 cost more than a 5970?
    For one, it costs more for two cards of 5870 than 5970, secondly, I would need a bigger rad, another gpu waterblock and a better pump. Why should i?

31. Post #111
    Gold Member

August 2006
    1,003 Posts
    The cards themselves would cost 100 more bucks over a single 5970 and the extra GPU block would maybe bring it almost to the $200 mark but it would certainly make your life a lot easier down the road once you start to OC, with the addition of higher guaranteed performance. And you would not need a bigger rad, as you will need triple 120mm radiator anyways with these kinds of setups. A lot of the heat will also come from the OC'ed i7, too. Probably 200-250w. As for the pump, well, you want a decent one to begin with.

Of course this is still your decision, and this is just what I am recommending. I don't know much about watercooling in terms of the pricing of parts but I think you could get away with $350 without spending it on cheap parts.

Plus, 2 water cooled GPU's look pretty slick, versus just a single. Not that visuals matter of course.

Edited:

Just figured out that you can fit a triple rad inside the case of the 800D at the top so you can keep the case :D

32. Post #112
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    The cards themselves would cost 100 more bucks over a single 5970 and the extra GPU block would maybe bring it almost to the $200 mark but it would certainly make your life a lot easier down the road once you start to OC, with the addition of higher guaranteed performance. And you would not need a bigger rad, as you will need triple 120mm radiator anyways with these kinds of setups. A lot of the heat will also come from the OC'ed i7, too. Probably 200-250w. As for the pump, well, you want a decent one to begin with.

Of course this is still your decision, and this is just what I am recommending. I don't know much about watercooling in terms of the pricing of parts but I think you could get away with $350 without spending it on cheap parts.

Plus, 2 water cooled GPU's look pretty slick, versus just a single. Not that visuals matter of course.

Edited:

Just figured out that you can fit a triple rad inside the case of the 800D at the top so you can keep the case :D
    I will see how big my paycheck is, but if it's bigger than my original assumption of $3,200 I will definetely buy two 5870's. Thanks. :D

And btw, visuals do matter. Atleast for me it does. ( not as much as performance though )

33. Post #113
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #114
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    Try importing that to Norway. You have to pay 25% of the total price just to get it in to the country.

35. Post #115
    Dennab
    June 2008
    1,261 Posts
    Try importing that to Norway. You have to pay 25% of the total price just to get it in to the country.

but

it has two processors
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #116
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    I made a two processor build on newegg... You can do it yourself..

37. Post #117
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    But .. I don't want that computer. I want water cooling and one 5970 or two 5870's.

Edited:

I'm building this pc as a project, and I really want to learn how to do water-cooling, because I think I'm going to use that a lot in the future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #118
    June 2007
    879 Posts
    I will see how big my paycheck is, but if it's bigger than my original assumption of $3,200 I will definetely buy two 5870's. Thanks. :D

And btw, visuals do matter. Atleast for me it does. ( not as much as performance though )

CPU BLock

GPU Block:
    1x if you get a 5970
    This
    2x if you get CFX 5870s
    Then This
    Radiator:
    For Silence
    For Performance

PUMP
    Fittings:
    A bunch of these

T Adapter
    Fluid:
    (Distilled water+Antifreeze Please don't pay ridiculous amounts on coolant, and get colored tubing not dyed coolant. Dyed coolant can ruin components.)
    Tubing:
    Feser/PrimoChill/Tygon tubing 7/16inch INNER DIAMETER also known as ID
    Clamps:
    Worm Drives from local hardware store.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #119
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    CPU BLock

GPU Block:
    1x if you get a 5970
    This
    2x if you get CFX 5870s
    Then This
    Radiator:
    For Silence
    For Performance

PUMP
    Fittings:
    A bunch of these

T Adapter
    Fluid:
    (Distilled water+Antifreeze Please don't pay ridiculous amounts on coolant, and get colored tubing not dyed coolant. Dyed coolant can ruin components.)
    Tubing:
    Feser/PrimoChill/Tygon tubing 7/16inch INNER DIAMETER also known as ID
    Clamps:
    Worm Drives from local hardware store.
    This is a solid setup, all I would say is swap the fittings for 1/2" and get 7/16" tubing so you dont need the ugly clamps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    June 2007
    879 Posts
    This is a solid setup, all I would say is swap the fittings for 1/2" and get 7/16" tubing so you dont need the ugly clamps
    I agree with the fitting swap as it makes for a snug fit, however If you are anti Clamp/Worm Drive Just shell out the extra cash for compression fittings for the extra safety.