1. Post #201
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,476 Posts
    I know.. Norway is the worlds wealthiest country.. Denmark is number eight! :downsbravo:

2. Post #202
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    no seriously, why the fuck would you buy SSD.

3. Post #203

October 2009
    314 Posts
    I know they get outdated, that's why I want a overclock friendly computer, so I can push my hardware really far. That's also why I am going for watercooling.

Edited:

I changed some things, here is the new build:

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D - $300
    Intel Core i7 920 - $270
    EVGA X58 SLI LE, Socket-1366 - $300
    Asus Radeon HD 5970 (Dual GPU) - $770
    Corsair Dominator TWIN3X DDR3-1600 6 GB (3x2GB) - $240
    Zalman ZM-MFC3 - $90
    Chieftec A-135 Series 1000W PSU - $220
    CoolIT OMNI Interposer Plate AMD HD5970 - $85
    Watercool Heatkiller LT 3.0 CPU - $80
    OCZ Vertex 2 100 GB - $480
    OCZ XTC Cooler - $12

Rough estimate - $2847 [ Which leaves $353 to spend on watercooling. Is that possible? ]

Edited:

I still need help to find a good complete watercooling set, and I don't mind changing the already chosen waterblocks. I need pump + waterblocks + tubing + reservoir / t-line
    You can't run crossfire on an EVGA mobo..

4. Post #204
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    This guy got banned. Mod's doesn't like already built systems?

Edited:

You can't run crossfire on an EVGA mobo..
    That's an old build, the newer one is further up this page, I am happy to change motherboard or anything else to make everything fit together without bottlenecks.

Edited:

I'm buying an SSD to power my OS.

5. Post #205
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    Because an SSD is on of the best upgrades you can buy for a computer right now.

Edited:

OH and OP are you putting the i7 and the two 5870s on that single 360 rad? because it wont be enough. Especially if you want to do some good OC-ing.

6. Post #206
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    Does a 480 rad fit in a 800D case from Corsair?

7. Post #207
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    Because an SSD is on of the best upgrades you can buy for a computer right now.
    wat

what did i miss

8. Post #208

9. Post #209
    December 2009
    2,454 Posts
    SSDs make a huge upgrade for your computer. A bad harddrive can slow your whole pc down.

10. Post #210

11. Post #211
    June 2007
    879 Posts
    Does a 480 rad fit in a 800D case from Corsair?
    Not Sure, but I'm pretty sure a 360 and 240 would fit in there. And that will be enough for the full loop.

12. Post #212
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    Could I place 3x120mm fans on both sides of the rad to exhaust air out?

13. Post #213
    June 2007
    879 Posts
    Could I place 3x120mm fans on both sides of the rad to exhaust air out?
    On a 360mm Rad you can place 6 fans, 3 on each side in a push/pull configuration.

14. Post #214
    December 2009
    2,454 Posts

OH and OP are you putting the i7 and the two 5870s on that single 360 rad? because it wont be enough.

15. Post #215
    June 2007
    879 Posts
    It will work for silence, not great overclocking potential though.

16. Post #216
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    SSDs make a huge upgrade for your computer. A bad harddrive can slow your whole pc down.
    yeah but come on, 128 GB's for 500 bucks which will wear out pretty quick

that's just dumb

17. Post #217
    June 2007
    879 Posts

that's just dumb
    It has TRIM, and modern SSDs are pretty reliable. Why wouldn't you get an SSD when platter based HDD's are the bottleneck in a lot of systems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #218
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts

that's just dumb
    Again, your behind, they dont "wear out" any more due to TRIM which keeps them in mint condition for their entire lifespan.

And regarding cost, yes they are expensive, but most people can afford a <$100 30GB drive which is the perfect size for Windows 7 and a couple of applications

Edited:

Oh and OP, you can fit a 360 rad in the roof of a 800D, and with a bit of modding you can remove the lower HDD cage in the PSU compartment and fit another 240 rad in the bottom, in which case id say use the 360 rad for your CPU and the 240 for your GPU's.

19. Post #219
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,118 Posts
    It has TRIM, and modern SSDs are pretty reliable. Why wouldn't you get an SSD when platter based HDD's are the bottleneck in a lot of systems.
    it's not really a bottleneck

a slow CPU/GPU can make a game unplayable
    a slow hard drive doesn't really limit performance, it just means you have to wait longer for the game to load
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #220
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    Again, your behind, they dont "wear out" any more due to TRIM which keeps them in mint condition for their entire lifespan.

And regarding cost, yes they are expensive, but most people can afford a <$100 30GB drive which is the perfect size for Windows 7 and a couple of applications

Edited:

Oh and OP, you can fit a 360 rad in the roof of a 800D, and with a bit of modding you can remove the lower HDD cage in the PSU compartment and fit another 240 rad in the bottom, in which case id say use the 360 rad for your CPU and the 240 for your GPU's.
    I couldn't just use a more powerful fan?

21. Post #221
    June 2007
    879 Posts

a slow hard drive doesn't really limit performance, it just means you have to wait longer for the game to load
    And Boot times, this does matter to some people... application start times. Yeah its a bottleneck (I didn't specify gaming).

22. Post #222
    November 2009
    129 Posts
    I am also getting a Zalman fan controller, I couldn't just up the speed?

23. Post #223
    June 2007
    879 Posts
    You could, but a 360 wouldn't cut it for 3 items (CPU 2x GPU) You could do a 360 internal and a 240 external with radbox.

24. Post #224
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,118 Posts
    fan controllers let you change the speed, they don't let you pull power out of nowhere

25. Post #225
    December 2009
    2,454 Posts
    Well tbh with my samsung spinpoints f3s in raid 0 i can load anything super duper quick

26. Post #226
    June 2007
    879 Posts
    Well tbh with my samsung spinpoints f3s in raid 0 i can load anything super duper quick
    Quick though they are(and honestly the best value/performance ratio in any storage media) they cant boot win7 in 10 seconds, nor is there no app launch lag characteristic of standard HDDs. With SSDs its the little things that you wouldn't notice unless you Just went from HDDs to SSDs.

27. Post #227
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts

You dont get the point, with an SSD it isn't like buying a 200 graphics card and getting faster games, its buying a 200 SSD and getting a faster computer load times are only one side of the story.

When you actually use a computer with a decent SSD in, even as a boot drive and see that it takes 20 seconds to get to desktop instead of 50+ and that when you are at desktop you can start using programs instantly and not have to wait for everything to load up. It makes a huge difference.

28. Post #228
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    You dont get the point, with an SSD it isn't like buying a 200 graphics card and getting faster games, its buying a 200 SSD and getting a faster computer load times are only one side of the story.

When you actually use a computer with a decent SSD in, even as a boot drive and see that it takes 20 seconds to get to desktop instead of 50+ and that when you are at desktop you can start using programs instantly and not have to wait for everything to load up. It makes a huge difference.
    so suddenly an SSD makes you have better memory and CPU as well?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #229
    December 2009
    2,454 Posts
    No you retard they are saying that if you have a good build, say an i7 witha 5870 and a really bad haddrive or even a WD or something your build will be bottleneck and slowed down by your HDD, but if you have an SSD ( OR Spinpoint f3s in raid 0 :smug ) then your computer will be much faster

30. Post #230
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    No you retard they are saying that if you have a good build, say an i7 witha 5870 and a really bad haddrive or even a WD or something your build will be bottleneck and slowed down by your HDD, but if you have an SSD ( OR Spinpoint f3s in raid 0 :smug ) then your computer will be much faster
    If you have a 7200 rpm drive there is no bottleneck. You're just pretending it is.

The very very small increase in performance isn't worth 500 dollars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #231
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,118 Posts

I see the point, it just doesn't seem to be worth the cost to shave 30 seconds off something I do once or twice a day, and I can't think of a single program that it's important to have open a few seconds earlier

maybe when they're cheaper, faster and bigger (which doesn't seem to be that far away) they'll be worth it, but right now they seem like too much of a luxury to be worth it in almost any case

Edited:

people keep using the term bottleneck when a slower HDD doesn't create a bottleneck

I must be missing something here but waiting a few seconds longer for something to load doesn't limit the performance of any other parts

32. Post #232
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    If you have a 7200 rpm drive there is no bottleneck. You're just pretending it is.

I suggest you read THIS as you obviously have no idea about SSD's and are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

33. Post #233
    December 2009
    2,454 Posts
    you can get 1tb ones

though they are 2k

Edited:

Get one and you'll see

Its like buying a new CPU

34. Post #234
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,118 Posts
    a better term is imbalanced

a slow GPU can't bottleneck a machine used entirely for checking emails but the build wouldn't be balanced for all tasks

fucking automerge

35. Post #235
    December 2009
    6,407 Posts
    So did OP buy anything yet, or did it turn out a huge shitstorm of disagreeing fanboys like all the other multi-thousand dollar builds

36. Post #236
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    it turn out a huge shitstorm of disagreeing fanboys like all the other multi-thousand dollar builds
    Pretty much.

37. Post #237
    January 2010
    760 Posts
    Hi! I'm buying a new computer very soon, and these are the parts I have picked out:

Asus Radeon HD 5970 - $740
    Intel Core i7 930 - $370
    eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI - $615
    Crucial RealSSD C300 2,5" 128GB - $545
    Corsair XMS3 Twin3x DDR3-1600 6GB (3x2GB) - $230
    Corsair Obsidian Series 700D - $260
    Corsair H50 - $90
    Chieftec A-135 Series 1000W PSU - $220

Rough estimate: $3070

I still need help chosing a good cooling sulotion ( watercooling ) for my GPU, or should I just get a cooling system for both GPU and CPU?
    If there are any bottlenecks, tell me. :)

[Questions]

- Is the motherboard overkill?
    - Is there a place I can buy 5970 ready for a waterblock?
    - What waterblock do I need?
    - What is a good watercooling system for CPU and GPU or seperate.
    - Will by hdd/ram need additional fan support other than the natural air circulation in the case?
    - Is the case good for building?
    - Is the case big enough for every single part?
    - Is the case big enough for a watercooling system?

Additional info: I have a WD Cavier 1,5 TB hdd I will put in the computer.
    Get the Toxic 4GB GDDR5 5970.

38. Post #238
    December 2009
    2,454 Posts
    So did OP buy anything yet, or did it turn out a huge shitstorm of disagreeing fanboys like all the other multi-thousand dollar builds
    Stop changing your avatar
    :psyduck:

39. Post #239
    December 2009
    6,407 Posts
    Stop changing your avatar
    :psyduck:
    no

40. Post #240
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,941 Posts

Hey can you stick to GD, thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)