1. Post #1
    April 2009
    171 Posts
    There was a big project that I had to do for my Advanced English class, and it had to relate to a unit that we did over the year. We read "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston, and so I wrote a Death Metal song about Ebola.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/77035158ba9eae2a/

You can listen to it there... and it might take a little extra time to load. I would give it a minute. I am aware that the drum track that I spent a LONG time making doesn't match up 100% at some spots, but it doesn't sound too bad, and I didn't really give a fuck when I turned it in.

Tell me what you think of it, or hell, post some songs that you have written.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2

April 2010
    217 Posts
    Noice, I wish I could have done a death metal tune back when I was in English classes. I remember reading that book, too, though not for any class. The description of the autopsy in the beginning could easily be a Cannibal Corpse song. One thing about the track: the volume drops too fast at 0:03. Other than that, the production has a nice old-school sound.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    254 Posts
    One word. Brutal

4. Post #4
    April 2009
    171 Posts
    Noice, I wish I could have done a death metal tune back when I was in English classes. I remember reading that book, too, though not for any class. The description of the autopsy in the beginning could easily be a Cannibal Corpse song. One thing about the track: the volume drops too fast at 0:03. Other than that, the production has a nice old-school sound.
    Oh yeah, I think I overdid that a little bit. I think it sounds better if you listen to it with headphones, because that part where it gets quite is only in the right output. Then, the cymbals and chords chime in in the left.

But yeah, I think that I probably put it too quiet right there. Thanks a lot for the criticism! Glad somebody actually gave it a good listen.

5. Post #5
    July 2009
    2,022 Posts
    Only problem is the cheesy drums. Besides that, it's pretty fucking awesome.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,236 Posts
    Guitars are awesome, drums sound weird at times, vocals aren't very good but I get the feeling they're not supposed to be. Overall, good job. I wish I could do something like this for school.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    976 Posts
    I approve of this song. It kinda reminds me of Six Feet Under, especially the vocals.

8. Post #8
    April 2007
    981 Posts
    I like everything, but the vocals could use some work.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    3,361 Posts
    Vocals just sound like "yuuhhuhhhh, uhhuhhh ruhh ruhh yuhhhhhhhhhh"

I lol'd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,782 Posts
    Need to work on your vocals (are you trying to sound like early Decapitated?), and the drums need to be beefed up a bit.

Other than that, though, the guitar part is pretty solid.

Not bad. Work on those things and become a one-man band. Be awesome.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    254 Posts
    Need to work on your vocals (are you trying to sound like early Decapitated?), and the drums need to be beefed up a bit.

Other than that, though, the guitar part is pretty solid.

Not bad. Work on those things and become a one-man band. Be awesome.
    Just FWI, I know OP and co-wrote the song.

12. Post #12
    Resident Dick Master
    Dennab
    September 2008
    38,699 Posts
    Pretty good, but I never was a big fan of that style of growls. Always sounded really lacking in power.

13. Post #13
    August 2005
    6,782 Posts
    Pretty good, but I never was a big fan of that style of growls. Always sounded really lacking in power.
    Well, his growl is pretty amateur.

It looks like he's going for a gutteral (see above Decapitated song, Scar Symmetry's "Quantumleaper" ["Quantumleaper / found-unfound / Voice of reason / Lost its tongue"], etc), but at the moment his growl is closer to a whispered rasp (no examples, because it's an imperfect growl. For rasps though, This Ending are a good example).

If you're referring to the gutter-digger (what I call the style early Decapitated and such use), then I agree. I find it to be pretty weak, and unnecessarily difficult to understand.

If you're referring to rasps, though, rasps are awesome when done right (Devanic, This Ending, God Dethroned [at least on The Toxic Touch].

Edited:

Just FWI, I know OP and co-wrote the song.
    Then join him.

Become a two-man band. Be awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    April 2009
    171 Posts
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments. Somebody hit it spot on with the Chris Barnes comment... I really wasn't trying to imitate him (I like Corpsegrinder more), but it does sound kind of like that.
    Honestly, I wish that I could do better vocals. I have been working on them more, and I think that they have improved, but another factor is that I recorded every instrument (except for the drum track) with a Rock Band Microphone. Honestly, I am a guitar player, but I think it would be awesome to be able to sing as well.

oh yes.

15. Post #15
    August 2005
    6,782 Posts
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments. Somebody hit it spot on with the Chris Barnes comment... I really wasn't trying to imitate him (I like Corpsegrinder more), but it does sound kind of like that.
    Honestly, I wish that I could do better vocals. I have been working on them more, and I think that they have improved, but another factor is that I recorded every instrument (except for the drum track) with a Rock Band Microphone. Honestly, I am a guitar player, but I think it would be awesome to be able to sing as well.

oh yes.
    I don't know how good those are, as far as recording with them goes, but I know when my friend growled DragonForce's "Through the Fire and the Flames" (and was able to hit the pitches :raise:) during a little Rock Band party of ours, the output that the game gives from the microphone input sounded pretty good on our surround sound.

And I think most people would like to be able to sing.

I know I do. I don't really care what kind of vocal ability I could do, as long as I could do it well. That'd make me happy. :unsmith:

:smith:

16. Post #16
    Resident Dick Master
    Dennab
    September 2008
    38,699 Posts
    Well, his growl is pretty amateur.

It looks like he's going for a gutteral (see above Decapitated song, Scar Symmetry's "Quantumleaper" ["Quantumleaper / found-unfound / Voice of reason / Lost its tongue"], etc), but at the moment his growl is closer to a whispered rasp (no examples, because it's an imperfect growl. For rasps though, This Ending are a good example).

If you're referring to the gutter-digger (what I call the style early Decapitated and such use), then I agree. I find it to be pretty weak, and unnecessarily difficult to understand.

If you're referring to rasps, though, rasps are awesome when done right (Devanic, This Ending, God Dethroned [at least on The Toxic Touch].

Edited:

Then join him.

Become a two-man band. Be awesome.
    I like gutteral
    Brilliant example right here I reckon :frogc00l:

Just not really his. Reminds me of Dethklok's growls, never liked them. So powerless.

Weak as shit

17. Post #17
    August 2005
    6,782 Posts
    I like gutteral
    Brilliant example right here I reckon :frogc00l:

Just not really his. Reminds me of Dethklok's growls, never liked them. So powerless.

Weak as shit
    Septic Flesh aren't really guttural, though.

When I mean guttural, I mean drowning-man guttural. Like Nile.

Or Necrophagist (Embedding disabled).

Septic Flesh are far closer to draconic (as in sounding like a dragon), in my opinion. Like awesome bands such as

Fractal Gates

or Draconian (growls start at 1:18)

18. Post #18
    Resident Dick Master
    Dennab
    September 2008
    38,699 Posts
    Draconic is a vocal style?

FUCK YES :frogc00l:

Also, Fractal Gates are amazingggg.

Never listened to Draconian before, pretty damn great. Thank you :3:

Also, I don't think it gets much more gutteral than Chris Barnes

His vocals are so deep that they actually mentioned on the album that it wasn't edited to sound deeper or anything

19. Post #19
    August 2005
    6,782 Posts
    Draconic is a vocal style?

FUCK YES :frogc00l:

Also, Fractal Gates are amazingggg.

Never listened to Draconian before, pretty damn great. Thank you :3:

Also, I don't think it gets much more gutteral than Chris Barnes

His vocals are so deep that they actually mentioned on the album that it wasn't edited to sound deeper or anything
    Yeah, I'll agree with Barnes' vocals being pretty goddamn guttural.

Also, I don't know if Draconic is technically a vocal style, but it's one I use in reference a lot. I like to pidgeonhole my vocals, because there are some vocals I just can't stand (like drowning-man), and there's others I absolutely love (like Draconic).

Most of the death metal vocals I've encountered so far fall under one of these six techniques: Drowning-Man, Draconic / Low Growl, Snarls (Dark Age), Growls / High Growls (Scar Symmetry), Rasps (This Ending), or Screams (As Memory Dies)

20. Post #20
    Resident Dick Master
    Dennab
    September 2008
    38,699 Posts
    Mm yeah I agree, it definitely is better to sort them like that, otherwise people may well get the wrong idea about how they sound and stuff

I, too, am rather picky about my genres and stuff

Like whenever I think melodic death I think Insomnium

But most people think In Flames, Arch Enemy, bands like that.

(Insomnium are far better than both if you ask me :frogc00l:)

21. Post #21
    August 2005
    6,782 Posts
    Mm yeah I agree, it definitely is better to sort them like that, otherwise people may well get the wrong idea about how they sound and stuff

I, too, am rather picky about my genres and stuff

Like whenever I think melodic death I think Insomnium

But most people think In Flames, Arch Enemy, bands like that.

(Insomnium are far better than both if you ask me :frogc00l:)
    I was actually considering making a thread on melodic death metal addressing that. I was thinking, rather than giving a dried up and boring Wikipedia-esque definition of the genre, I'd show it as it really is, and show it's three main sectors: Finnish Melodic Death Metal ("Children of Bodom" metal), Swedish Melodic Death Metal ("Soilwork" metal), and Gothenburg Melodic Death Metal ("In Flames" metal).

Only thing is, I can't think of any bands to throw under the Gothenburg scene, since I mostly listen to Swedish metal.

(Note: I got these names from how I often see reviewers refer to bands that play these styles as, and then associate them with the well-known band that plays that style. I intend to add more bands per category, such as Major Players and Minor Players).

What think you of the idea?

(I also think we should take this conversation to PMs from this point on - we're cluttering up this thread, and it's not really on topic.)

22. Post #22
    Resident Dick Master
    Dennab
    September 2008
    38,699 Posts
    True true. And yes, I've been meaning to do something similar, but just never got round to it :P May do at a later date.

23. Post #23
    June 2010
    64 Posts
    Pretty good man, I like the harmonics on the guitar, vocals need work though.

24. Post #24
    April 2009
    171 Posts
    Actually... you guys have been a great help. I am now more motivated to work on my vocals...

Just wondering... what did you guys think of the solo? I improvised it, but I think it sounds OK with the song... I would like to hear your critiques on that.

Thanks again.

25. Post #25
    April 2009
    2,433 Posts
    FUCKING BRUUUTALLLLLLLL.

/metalhead

Edited:

Growling seems to be a bit too slow though, look at Cannibal Corpse, George Fisher matches the pace of the guitar riff at pretty much all times.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    254 Posts
    it's pretty cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)