1. Post #201
    November 2007
    897 Posts
    To me, Anders seems to have kept similar vocals in pretty much all of the albums I've got (Clayman -> ASOP), and I think they're excellent.

2. Post #202
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,679 Posts
    Been listening to Arch Enemy quite a lot past 2 days. Didn't used to like them but I think I've sparked a like of them :slick: pretty great.

3. Post #203
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,776 Posts
    I just don't like the album, it's not because it's different than the melodic death metal stuff. It's mostly the vocals that ruin it for me. I really don't like Anders's "whiney" vocals. Some of the riffs are alright though but the vocals just kill the album for me. Although it was better than STYE. Colony was amazing, Clayman was too, Reroute felt like a water downed version of Clayman to me but it's still a great album. I like when bands evolve, I just don't like the way In Flames evolved. Dark Tranquillity was pretty good about evolving, I'm not the biggest We are the Void fan but it's still a pretty good album.

Anyways, enough arguing about In Flames. Here's some music.

Sacrilege

Fun fact: Daniel Svensson (In Flames) does the vocals and drums.

A Canorous Quintet
    I don't really much care for A Canorous Quintet. Their reincarnation (after a what, ten year hiatus?), though, This Ending are amazing. I love This Ending. :slick:

Edited:

Been listening to Arch Enemy quite a lot past 2 days. Didn't used to like them but I think I've sparked a like of them :slick: pretty great.
    I honestly don't know what to think of Arch Enemy. I have Rise of the Tyrant for Frets on Fire, and I love playing the album because the guitar work is quite inventive. I'm not sure what to think of it, though; Angela's vocals are impressive, but the fact they're modified is somewhat offsetting. From the reviews I've seen, it's an unanimous agreement, apparently, that Arch Enemy has gone down the shitter with Angela on board.

I don't think I like Arch Enemy enough to get any more of their albums, really.

Edited:

Also, for you fans of Sybreed (mikeyt), have you listened to Sybreed's debut demo before they changed vocalists and name? Not exactly melodeath, but I think it can fit here anyways.

Rain - BioActive (Sybreed - BioActive)

Rain - Static Currents (Sybreed - Static Currents)

Rain - Contamination (Sybreed - Technocracy)

Rain - Deleted Memories (Yet to be rerecorded into a Sybreed song)

Rain - Rusted (Sybreed - Rusted)

4. Post #204
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,679 Posts
    This is awesome :frogc00l: Current Amorphis lineup is better than the old, I think. Jousten is a better vocalist than Kouvisaari.

Amorphis are redoing their first 3 albums, with the current lineup. The Karelian Isthmus, Tales From The Thousand Lakes, and Elegy. I've been asking for this for ages, and the one band I want to do it are the only band I know to actually do it. Fuck yeah.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=141862

They're considering doing Tuonela, Am Universum and Far From The Sun as well.

5. Post #205
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,462 Posts
    This is awesome :frogc00l: Current Amorphis lineup is better than the old, I think. Jousten is a better vocalist than Kouvisaari.

Amorphis are redoing their first 3 albums, with the current lineup. The Karelian Isthmus, Tales From The Thousand Lakes, and Elegy. I've been asking for this for ages, and the one band I want to do it are the only band I know to actually do it. Fuck yeah.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=141862

They're considering doing Tuonela, Am Universum and Far From The Sun as well.
    So they're re-releasing the albums? I might get them.

6. Post #206
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,679 Posts
    Yeah, basically. I will as well.

Also their live DVD+CD, Forging the Land of Thousand Lakes came out a few days ago. Gonna get the special edition. 2 DVD's and 2 CD's :iia:

7. Post #207
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,462 Posts
    Yeah, basically. I will as well.

Also their live DVD+CD, Forging the Land of Thousand Lakes came out a few days ago. Gonna get the special edition. 2 DVD's and 2 CD's :iia:
    I need a job to buy all this stuff :argh:

8. Post #208
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    784 Posts
    I like Arch Enemy. Angela is pretty hot.
    I don't really care if her vocals are modified; to me, music is mostly about the end product, not the process used to achieve it.

I need to listen to more of Amorphis. Good shit there.

9. Post #209
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,679 Posts
    Amorphis are fucking AMAZING. Gonna see them live in Novemberrrrr :gizz: should be insane. I was HOPING to see them at Bloodstock, seriously fucking AWESOME music festival here in the UK (better than most in Scandanavia ) but clashing issues and plans made without my consultation have led to this 10th anniversary super awesome'd up better than ever before music festival, impossible for me to attend :frog: :saddowns:

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,462 Posts
    Amorphis are fucking AMAZING. Gonna see them live in Novemberrrrr :gizz: should be insane. I was HOPING to see them at Bloodstock, seriously fucking AWESOME music festival here in the UK (better than most in Scandanavia ) but clashing issues and plans made without my consultation have led to this 10th anniversary super awesome'd up better than ever before music festival, impossible for me to attend :frog: :saddowns:
    I read that a few times to understand it :psyduck:

But don't worry, they'll have Bloodstock next year and Amorphis will go to other festivals.

11. Post #211
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    5,163 Posts
    The Funeral Pyre mix Melodic Death Metal with a Black Metal.

12. Post #212
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,679 Posts
    I read that a few times to understand it :psyduck:

But don't worry, they'll have Bloodstock next year and Amorphis will go to other festivals.
    Bloodstock is literally the only decent sized metal festival here in the UK. You'd think that being the place where metal pretty much started, it'd be more popular.

But yeah I'm really hoping to go next year, but it'll not nearly match up to this year's lineup :c

http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/

seriously. Almost Goddamn perfect.

13. Post #213
    October 2009
    202 Posts
    I used to like Kalmah and Wintersun a lot but then I kind distanced my self from them. Oh btw why is Wintersun's follow up album taking so long wasn't is supposed to be out like two years ago.

14. Post #214
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,679 Posts
    Because Jari isn't like other musicians. He wants it to be completely, utterly, perfect. He's going around doing this album the wrong(or more, right) way. It is going to be astoundingly complex. He's making every bit of sound incredible. Not a second of music is being left untouched, it's all being edited and stuff over the past few years (plus, he's not working on it all the time. From August 08 to Jan 09 he did nothing on it, for personal reasons)

Jari Maenpaa posted:
    The reason why Iīve been and will continue to be "under the radar" is because Iīve needed to focus on the album 100% and needed to "get away from it all" until itīs finished.

The reason why people are upset is because they canīt understand the situation from the outside. Iīve tried to explain it few times, but it seems that some people still donīt understand. This isnīt your "basic traditional metal album" or not even a "basic traditional orchestral metal album". Only way people can understand if theyīll come to my humble home studio and see/hear the projects/music for themselves.

I have to make this album complitely the wrong way (the hard way) how orchestral albums like this should be made, because Iīm a poor bastard. It takes weeks to make orchestrations and all the synths, samples and FX to one riff/part, because I canīt do it all in one project, in real time and in a big template. And a song could have 10-20 riffs/parts, so you get the picture why it is taking so long. Actually considering the circumstances Iīve worked quite fast.

15. Post #215
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    5,163 Posts
    That reminds me, I have not listened to Wintersun in ages. Time to fix that.

16. Post #216
    THE TRUE SAN DIEGAN WARLORD
    Dennab
    June 2008
    2,932 Posts
    Time will fix that once it comes out.

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    784 Posts
    Shit, I didn't know Jari was struggling that badly financially. That sucks :(

18. Post #218
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,679 Posts
    Yeah. Most awesome bands like this are just really average guys. They don't bring in much money. And since Jari only has one album, and doesn't tour, he's really not bringing in anything at all, really. Which is a really huge shame. He deserves to be rich and famous

19. Post #219
    July 2010
    880 Posts

Allegaeon "A Cosmic Question"

Don't know if this was already posted or not. The lyrics are a little bit pretentious IMO but they flow well, and the instruments are all really good too. These guys aren't popular and if you like this song spread it around a little bit, they need your help.

20. Post #220
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,462 Posts
    Yeah. Most awesome bands like this are just really average guys. They don't bring in much money. And since Jari only has one album, and doesn't tour, he's really not bringing in anything at all, really. Which is a really huge shame. He deserves to be rich and famous
    The masses of sheep minded people like rubbish music instead of genius music.

21. Post #221
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,679 Posts
    Yeah. Sheep ios often what I use to describe them. They listen to what the radio tells them to like, with no real opinion in there. Radio plays a song and says it's great, everyone thinks it's awesome.

It's really stupid. And it's really bad here in Scotland. My year in school has about 80 people, and I'm genuinely the only real metalhead in it. There's people who do like some metal but not the proper good stuff, like the lesser known things. Melodeath being one.

22. Post #222
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,462 Posts
    Poor bastard. Least my friends all like metal.

23. Post #223
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,679 Posts
    Haha yeah... It sucks :c Where're you from?

You'd think that being the place where metal started, it would be more popular. It isn't.

And everyone has a totally obscured vision on metal. Thinking it's all shitty noise rawrawrawr no rhythm shit.

:|

24. Post #224
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,462 Posts
    Australia. Nothing good here except for about 3 bands.

Ya, my whole family hates metal and bug me about it being just people making "noise"

25. Post #225
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,679 Posts
    My stepbrother's into the same stuff as me, which is cool though. And my stepdad's pretty big on thrash and stuff, not really sure of his views on things like melodeath etc

You got Be'lakor though man :frogc00l:

I've probably posted them here before. The only Scottish melodeath band broke up and they were more metalcore than melodeath really. I forget their name.

26. Post #226
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,462 Posts
    We also have Psycroptic and Pendulum. Psycroptic are fucking amazing shit

Edited:

Yeah, its not melodeath but still good stuff.

27. Post #227
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,679 Posts
    Cool shit.
    Also AC/DC

makes me proud to be Scottish :frogc00l:

28. Post #228
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,462 Posts
    Best band to come out of Scotland. Shit's awesome. Especially the keytar, however dorky it is.

29. Post #229
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    My stepbrother's into the same stuff as me, which is cool though. And my stepdad's pretty big on thrash and stuff, not really sure of his views on things like melodeath etc

You got Be'lakor though man :frogc00l:

I've probably posted them here before. The only Scottish melodeath band broke up and they were more metalcore than melodeath really. I forget their name.
    Mendeed are probably who you're thinking of. I dunno where about in Scotland you are but there's a pretty strong unsigned scene over here in Edinburgh man, you should check out some local gigs. I've really been exposed to the amount of local talent since coming to college. There are some great bands out there who deserve recognition

30. Post #230
    August 2009
    2,055 Posts
    I'm trying to get into Dark Tranquility. What album should I listen to first?

31. Post #231
    November 2007
    897 Posts
    When I first listened to Dark Tranquillity, I listened to Fiction. Great album.

32. Post #232
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,679 Posts
    Mendeed are probably who you're thinking of. I dunno where about in Scotland you are but there's a pretty strong unsigned scene over here in Edinburgh man, you should check out some local gigs. I've really been exposed to the amount of local talent since coming to college. There are some great bands out there who deserve recognition
    Yeah that's it.

And yeah there's a big unsigned scene.I don't know anywhere that would actually let a death metal band perform though

Well there's one place but I think it's 18+, it is some of the time at least. I'll check out the website I think, see what they actually do. I think it's just, alternative music. Anything that isn't mainstream.

Edited:

"heavy metal night on Saturdays"

fuck yeah :frogc00l:

Edited:

" Downstairs plays an extensive repertoire of modern music, from cyber-goth to current thrash, while upstairs is devoted to cult classics from the 70s and 80s, from AC/DC to Slayer and from Led Zeppelin to Venom, everything gets played!"

Brb going to Studio 24

33. Post #233
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,776 Posts
    Cyber-goth fuck yeah.

They better play some of Paradise Lost's Believe in Nothing. Nothing like Gothic Doom/Death bands playing Gothic synth-pop. :frogc00l:

34. Post #234
    THE TRUE SAN DIEGAN WARLORD
    Dennab
    June 2008
    2,932 Posts
    I'm here in Canada and I bought an In Flames shirt finally :frogc00l:

35. Post #235
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    "Downstairs plays an extensive repertoire of modern music, from cyber-goth to current thrash, while upstairs is devoted to cult classics from the 70s and 80s, from AC/DC to Slayer and from Led Zeppelin to Venom, everything gets played!"

Brb going to Studio 24
    I wouldn't bother, 90% of the time it's filled with underage scene kids

36. Post #236
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,679 Posts
    :o have you been there then?

37. Post #237
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    Yeah it's one of the only metal bars in Edinburgh that has an underage night so I used to go when I was 15-16. It's a great venue for gigs but I was never impressed with it for a club. Opium is a pretty decent rock/metal nightclub, the Black Rose Tavern is an amazing metal pub, same with the Banshee Labyrinth.

Don't really have much to offer you aside from that though

38. Post #238
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,679 Posts
    Are any of them under 18's?

39. Post #239
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    Are any of them under 18's?
    Only Studio 24 on Mission night (or whatever it's called now). Opium is pretty lax about ID and Black Rose is a pub so you'd probably be fine in there

40. Post #240
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,679 Posts
    Wait

The Mission is Studio 24? I thought that was a place of itself.

Eugh yeah that's a real scene place. (the Studio 24 website's down, I saw other stuff on it so yeah I couldn't tell)

And I don't really look 18, so I doubt I'd get into Opium. But I'll try Black Rose (I assume it's all ages then?)

Also, I assume you live in Edinburgh, so do you know any good metal record stores? I've looked but I can't find any that sell proper good shit.