1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    11,151 Posts
    View YouTUBE video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qt9VT2wfN_E

is it a rebel being turned into a stalker? :ohdear:
    End sounded like mah buckit mah buckit...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    9,222 Posts
    End sounded like mah buckit mah buckit...
    I clearly heard "Fuck, fuck it!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 30Funny Funny x 2 (list)

3. Post #123
    July 2009
    1,695 Posts
    I know it's not a Valve game, but the entire level of Medical Pavilion up til Steinman's fight in Bioshock 1

The crematorium, the dental offices, when you first find the shotgun. It's Bioshock's way of saying "Welcome to Rapture, enjoy our own hell."

Admit it, when you first came upon this in the game, you jumped a little.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 108Agree Agree x 2Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    July 2009
    4,163 Posts
    Has anyone got links to backwards sounds from Half Life?

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    195 Posts
    I clearly heard "Fuck, fuck it!"
    It sounded like "Fuck your mother" to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,008 Posts
    protip: on a real grenade, pulling the pin doesn't trigger the explosion, it's flipping the handle. the pin just acts as a kind of safety mechanism.
    But it isn't exactly safe putting it back in your pocket without the pin either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 25Agree Agree x 5Zing Zing x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    Official worst poster 2011
    June 2007
    8,578 Posts
    The fact that the ocean instantly kills you if you fall in it.
    i think it has something to do with the fall, gravity, and the fact it is ice cold russian water a few weeks (or days) before winter rolls on in. same stuff happens in BFBC2 if you decide to take a swim in the water on a snowy map, damn russian water, so fuckin cold.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,195 Posts
    Leaches, actually.

Edited:

But it isn't exactly safe putting it back in your pocket without the pin either.
    But he doesn't so its fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 6Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 4Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    July 2009
    4,163 Posts
    i think it has something to do with the fall, gravity, and the fact it is ice cold russian water a few weeks (or days) before winter rolls on in. same stuff happens in BFBC2 if you decide to take a swim in the water on a snowy map, damn russian water, so fuckin cold.
    Isn't Nelson Bay in Alaska? It happens there too

10. Post #130
    March 2010
    603 Posts
    I was talking about the leeches and trigger_hurt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    The King Of Zing
    September 2009
    14,878 Posts
    The Can
    It possesses a cop and commands you to move it to chekpoint B.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 83Winner Winner x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #132
    July 2007
    1,800 Posts
    The way you have pervert thoughts when you first meet Judith.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Agree x 30Disagree x 15Funny x 7Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #133
    March 2008
    641 Posts
    nevermind
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,935 Posts
    I know it's not a Valve game, but the entire level of Medical Pavilion up til Steinman's fight in Bioshock 1

The crematorium, the dental offices, when you first find the shotgun. It's Bioshock's way of saying "Welcome to Rapture, enjoy our own hell."

This thread is not about bioshock.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 85Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    Glod Menber
    May 2008
    24,571 Posts
    I love how I get rated late for stating my opinion.

Edited:

OMG he's so late with thinking that Zombie screams backwards is creepy, that was like so 2004
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Late Late x 8Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,747 Posts
    It can't be, he gets damaged when he jumps from the helicopter to the canyon face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 35Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    3,033 Posts
    When you reach the playground in the first map of HL2, and hear the faint ambient noise of children playing and laughing and shit. That creeped me out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 82Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,423 Posts
    When you reach the playground in the first map of HL2, and hear the faint ambient noise of children playing and laughing and shit. That creeped me out.
    i was all :byodood:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 26Funny Funny x 2 (list)

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    13,838 Posts
    What freaks me out the most is the fact that Gordon pulls the pin of his grenades, and then puts them back in his pocket.
    Imagine the rebels faces when they see that and then continue following him closely watching his granade pocket..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 72Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 3Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #140
    Imagine the rebels faces when they see that and then continue following him closely watching his granade pocket..
    I didn't remember there was pockets in that suit..?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Bad Spelling x 4Dumb x 3Agree x 3Bad Reading x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    10,783 Posts
    I didn't remember there was pockets in that suit..?
    Oh come on, why wouldn't an armored suit have pockets? For all we know, he could be accidentaly smuggling some Snarks in one of those pockets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 3 (list)

22. Post #142
    Because armored suits are made to take beating, not to carry useless, and potentially dangerous, stuff. This grenade in my pocket is a good exa... *Boom*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Funny Funny x 8 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member

September 2007
    4,144 Posts
    It's a video game, he doesn't need pockets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,542 Posts

View YouTUBE video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I96j56GB2mM

Read the section, read the thread, then snip your post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 32 (list)

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    603 Posts
    Half Life 2

When you come across a children playground, you go by the swing set, and you start to hear the faint sound of children laughing. That was freaky.

Later on, I dont know why, but the tunels part freaked the hell out of me...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Portugal Show Events Late Late x 18Agree Agree x 4Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #146
    January 2010
    1,122 Posts
    You should hide somewehre in Nova Prospekt, and listen a while....Creepy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 3Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #147
    May 2010
    297 Posts
    am I the only one not hearing the children laughing everione is talking about ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 43Disagree Disagree x 9Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

28. Post #148
    January 2010
    408 Posts
    Looks like you are the only one.
    ---
    Btw, there was quite a scary place just past the tunnels. The music... I just didn't feel right.

29. Post #149
    Hi
    February 2010
    12,238 Posts

:ohdear:
    Seriously though. I don't find anything scary with it...(?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11 (list)

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,347 Posts
    If i remember right, that soundfile is called "Memory" or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    963 Posts
    Especially the one where the Combine soldiers just finished burning bodies...
    That would be 'The Cremator'. It's never shown in the game, but it is referenced. Eli talks about it in his lab. It's head is in a jar. It was supposed to be a janitor of a sorts, to burn and destroy bodies left around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 55Informative x 20Dumb x 6Disagree x 2Late x 1Bad Reading x 1 (list)

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,169 Posts
    Being the super uber Hl2 fanboy that i am, i have previously spent a long time reversing various sounds from the game (music, strange ambient noises, advisor sounds and whatnot) and it's truly incredible what valve do to make things so cryptic with things you wouldn't expect to find things in. Some sounds are outright complete reversals of various ordinary sounds.
    Quite interesting.
    It's also fun if and when you find a sound with said properties, to mess around with various techniques to clean it up a little. Fer'instance, you know those Dino noises that foreshadowed portal2? I did a bit 'o snooping meself, and with the file where alyx apprently says "Thats amazing gordon!" I went through the standard procedure of removing the background noise, only to find that the whole thing had turned to morse code. Odd, if only i knew morse code.

Oh, and you have to hand it to the guy that voice acted the zombie, he must have had one hell of a motivation session to do that. And with the zombie sounds, if you reverse them, you obviously get the intelligable speech, but if you change the pitch on them, they turn into an ordinary voice, still crying in pain. Dayum.
    Also am I the only one who finds the wind effects very creepy in a distant, lonely kind of way?

Edit: And yes i've played the "playground_memory" sound backwards, and what comes out is a mix between a nightmare, a slowly dying cat and everything that's wrong with the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 32Funny Funny x 6Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #153
    June 2010
    161 Posts
    Looked at the TV at the part with the "Radio Song" saw gman with a crow and on a boat.HE'S A PIRATE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 21Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #154
    April 2010
    133 Posts
    I went through the standard procedure of removing the background noise, only to find that the whole thing had turned to morse code. Odd, if only i knew morse code.
    any chance of sharing this file, for those who do know morse code?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #155
    May 2010
    3,164 Posts
    That would be 'The Cremator'. It's never shown in the game, but it is referenced. Eli talks about it in his lab. It's head is in a jar. It was supposed to be a janitor of a sorts, to burn and destroy bodies left around.
    No, he means the part at the coast where there's a bonfire outside of a house with human bodies on it and combine soldiers standing around with their APC, not just the burned corpses in general because it's pretty obvious that the soldiers are the ones who burned these particular guys. And in my opinion it's debatable as to whether the scorched bodies in other parts of City 17 are the work of the cremator since the cremator was supposed to walk along the streets cleaning corpses and other organic material, not the sewers where most of the bodies are found. Though that does raise the question of how they did get burned. On the other hand maybe Valve left it open to interpretation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,169 Posts
    any chance of sharing this file, for those who do know morse code?
    Sure, i didn't save it, but i'm sure i could do it again.

Edit: Ok i've done more or less the same thing, but i may have remembered the outcome wrong, as it's come out as a highly strange machine-like noise that sounds almost encrypted. I'll still upload it but i don't think it's as much use. I'll try and get it into morse though.

Alright this is what i've got thusfar, some are practically the same, but have been converted using different methods, and theirs also an extracted version of the "amazing gordon" part for those who haven't heard it. I'll try and actually get somewhere soon. http://www.filefront.com/16799873/various_sounds.zip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

37. Post #157
    June 2010
    2,730 Posts
    what creeps me out is the sound of dying spirits (or zombie moaning sounds , whatever) in hl1 , i cant recall where exactly it happend but i remember being in a spot with water

will be poaking around the sound files in hl1 and see if i can find it (afcourse i will make it backwards)

Edited:

here is the original
    http://filesmelt.com/dl/the_horror11.wav

Edited:

and here is after i did some normalizing,noise reducing,pop removing,backwarding editing to it (to me it sounds like a woman screaming and as a background noise metal scratching of some sort)
    http://filesmelt.com/dl/the_horror1wtfman1.wav
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,169 Posts
    and here is after
    Bloody hell :ohdear:
    It makes you think how they make these sounds.
    Also thats one of the noises played in L4D when a horde is coming via a special event.

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    10,783 Posts
    Bloody hell :ohdear:
    It makes you think how they make these sounds.
    Also thats one of the noises played in L4D when a horde is coming via a special event.
    Actually, it's a mixture of all three thehorror.wavs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #160
    June 2010
    2,730 Posts
    it still scared the crap out of me when i heard it , i mean i didnt expect it,i was alone , it was dark, the only light was my old boxy monitor iluminating the room in a green tint (colors were fucked) and the out of no where , the horror
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)