1. Post #761
    April 2009
    2,600 Posts
    Nightmare House 2.

That is all.
    That's a mod. :colbert:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

2. Post #762
    March 2011
    1,556 Posts
    Nightmare House 2.

That is all.
    a non-valve mod with cheap jump scares scattered throughout it! what an excellent contribution
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 20Dumb Dumb x 13Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #763
    January 2009
    338 Posts
    a non-valve mod with cheap jump scares scattered throughout it! what an excellent contribution
    You clearly haven't played it, or just rushed it. There was a plenty of pure-mindfuck moments.
    For example, there was part where you would get message "HELP ME" in the subtitles over and over, though you, in fact, can't hear shit. Or whispers you can her from the dark corners. Or those freaky mannequins. Especially the part where one of the soldiers behind the glass asks you to turn off the generator, and when you enter the room, it turns out that it was mannequin, and you were hallucinating. Or those non-euclidian shifting vents, that was a pretty good mindfuck.
    There were few jump scares, but hey, every good horror movie has these.
    So grow a pair and play the mod without rushing and scarequitting. Though, I must admit, this is not a Valve game, but overall, that is a good example of extensive mindfuck use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 29Disagree Disagree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #764
    Community Slacker
    July 2005
    8,006 Posts
    You clearly haven't played it, or just rushed it. There was a plenty of pure-mindfuck moments.
    For example, there was part where you would get message "HELP ME" in the subtitles over and over, though you, in fact, can't hear shit. Or whispers you can her from the dark corners. Or those freaky mannequins. Especially the part where one of the soldiers behind the glass asks you to turn off the generator, and when you enter the room, it turns out that it was mannequin, and you were hallucinating. Or those non-euclidian shifting vents, that was a pretty good mindfuck.
    So grow a pair and play the mod without rushing and scarequitting. Though, I must admit, this is not a Valve game, but overall, that is a good example of extensive mindfuck use.
    Oh shit, that's clever with the subtitle thing. I didn't know about that because I didn't have subtitles on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #765
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    23,293 Posts
    As for the reason there are no sparks its because from what I know, electronics don't catch fire or explode violently when you riddle them with bullets.
    What an idiotic piece of pedantry. When a game wants to indicate that someone or something is robotic, there ARE usually sparks flying around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

6. Post #766
    January 2012
    141 Posts
    Dafuq? The russian zombine video on page 14 or 13 led me to some minecraft video called REMOVE ENDERMEN where pig,enderman and Steve play something that sounds like Serbian music. WTF is wrong with youtube?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

7. Post #767
    Dennab
    February 2010
    1,404 Posts
    i actually wish there were good survival horror mods for hl2. aom to me was a step in the right direction, although that was goldsource

8. Post #768
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,601 Posts
    i actually wish there were good survival horror mods for hl2. aom to me was a step in the right direction, although that was goldsource
    Alchemilla?

Basically Silent Hill ported to Source.

9. Post #769
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,168 Posts
    Imagine you're trapped in this room hearing nothing but the audio in this video.
    I know this is a late quote but what is the sound from, the siren I mean I love it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #770
    January 2012
    141 Posts
    Valve must love their zombie scares. I was playing through Nova Prospekt, testing an OICW skin and kicking ass along the way, when I got to, I dunno, 2nd or 3rd map in the chapter? You go into a laundry area or something, not entirely sure, where a large number of soldiers try to ambush you.

However, I found in that particular playthrough a side passage that led to a backroom - looked like showers or something. Dark lighting. I go deeper and see a bunch of blood on the floor trailing into another side room. Expecting a corpse and maybe some ammo, I turn the corner to see a poison zombie in my face.

Since the OICW skin is for the SMG, I promptly clicked the alternate fire button on twitch reaction. :saddowns:
    I hated that part... ugh,not because of the creepyness,but because i hate that fat decomposing zombie throwing little four legged niggers at me!

(User was banned for this post ("Racism" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Funny Funny x 18Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #771
    March 2011
    1,556 Posts
    not really, the mannequin thing has been done many times over and is completely unoriginal. i saw the video of the "dynamic scare thing" they used, and I wasn't really scared by it. let's not get off topic though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 20Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #772
    April 2009
    2,600 Posts
    I know this is a late quote but what is the sound from, the siren I mean I love it.
    It's the hl2 radio music if that's what you're talking about. If you mean the distorted string-based notes, then that's a sound in the leak called tone_warehouse.wav

13. Post #773
    June 2010
    6,134 Posts
    Anyone else think Valve is gonna break the 4th wall in a sensible way with HL3?

The "rather than giving you the illusion of free choice, I am going to choose for you" and the way he apparently acts outside the laws of physics, appearing and reappearing to observe the player or talk to his rebel clients makes me think he's part of some kind of overmind that determines the outcome of historical events by deploying people like Freeman - and the outcome is up to "the highest bidder".

I mean, the name "Freeman" in a linear game about a protagonist that has no amount of free will as long as the player is in charge of him, but at the same time is the avatar of the only being that's not bound by computer code, is begging for it, isn't it?

I definitely wouldn't put it past them seeing how in the HL2 Beta there was this arcade game where people are flying manhacks around, not knowing it's the real deal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 22Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

14. Post #774
    April 2011
    91 Posts
    Anyone else think Valve is gonna break the 4th wall in a sensible way with HL3?

The "rather than giving you the illusion of free choice, I am going to choose for you" and the way he apparently acts outside the laws of physics, appearing and reappearing to observe the player or talk to his rebel clients makes me think he's part of some kind of overmind that determines the outcome of historical events by deploying people like Freeman - and the outcome is up to "the highest bidder".

I mean, the name "Freeman" in a linear game about a protagonist that has no amount of free will as long as the player is in charge of him, but at the same time is the avatar of the only being that's not bound by computer code, is begging for it, isn't it?

I definitely wouldn't put it past them seeing how in the HL2 Beta there was this arcade game where people are flying manhacks around, not knowing it's the real deal.
    I'm intrigued by this idea. What kind of gameplay mechanic do you think Valve would use to break the 4th wall?

Also, what could anyone possibly offer the G-Man as "payment" for Gordon's services?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #775
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,168 Posts
    It's the hl2 radio music if that's what you're talking about. If you mean the distorted string-based notes, then that's a sound in the leak called tone_warehouse.wav
    I'm referring to the siren, not the string haha

16. Post #776
    October 2007
    1,239 Posts
    not really, the mannequin thing has been done many times over and is completely unoriginal. i saw the video of the "dynamic scare thing" they used, and I wasn't really scared by it. let's not get off topic though
    Why don't you play it? You afraid? You can't give an opinion without trying it yourself so shut it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

17. Post #777
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,408 Posts
    Why don't you play it? You afraid? You can't give an opinion without trying it yourself so shut it.
    Why do you care so much? Maybe he doesn't have the required game. I played it and there's not really much to be scared of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #778
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,540 Posts
    you can't understand a games scariness by watching a video are you retarded
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

19. Post #779
    July 2011
    6,504 Posts
    Am I the only one that has never been creeped or scared of ravenholm?

The only thing that scares me is the fact if you travel into the history of what half life 2 was going to be, like the leak. You've got all kinds of sounds and npc that are scarier then ever. Especially the hydra. That shit gives me a heart attack. I downloaded it for gmod a while back, went near it, it stabbed my face, had a heart attack. Never played with it again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

20. Post #780
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    10,654 Posts
    The same place the SMG grenade launcher is.
    Inside Gordon's mouth?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 22 (list)

21. Post #781
    March 2011
    1,556 Posts
    you can't understand a games scariness by watching a video are you retarded
    i played the fucking game, i was just interested in how they made the sounds random

22. Post #782
    Fat & Ugly
    October 2009
    786 Posts
    Shouldn't have read this before going to bed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #783
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,391 Posts
    I always found it interesting how the One Free Man is the least free person on Earth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #784
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,264 Posts
    I always found it interesting how the One Free Man is the least free person on Earth.
    Even after being released from the G-man's control he wasn't free - the player was still controlling him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 21Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #785
    March 2011
    1,556 Posts
    Even after being released from the G-man's control he wasn't free - the player was still controlling him.
    are you really being that meta
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 24 (list)

26. Post #786
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,264 Posts
    are you really being that meta
    That is how Valve thinks. It's they sort of thing they do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #787
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,235 Posts
    I think Advisors are pretty interesting. There's so many things implied in Half-Life 2, and we don't have answers to them, and people don't ask questions ingame. It's all up to the player to go as deep as they want into the story. That's what I love about Valve games. There's always another level that can fuck with you that some players don't notice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #788
    January 2012
    702 Posts
    I love doing that, though it's less of a mindfuck and more of an easter egg.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 23Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #789
    November 2011
    242 Posts
    On Nightmare House 2: Very creepy right up until the final boss.

The constant yammering gives it a terminal case of the not-scaries.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

30. Post #790
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,882 Posts
    On Nightmare House 2: Very creepy right up until the final boss.

The constant yammering gives it a terminal case of the not-scaries.
    Read the title of the thread twice and then read your post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #791
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,540 Posts
    i played the fucking game, i was just interested in how they made the sounds random
    i was replying to " i saw the video of the "dynamic scare thing" they used, and I wasn't really scared by it."

32. Post #792
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,599 Posts
    Guys, just giving a little hop back on the combine transformation topic.
    I have a question:
    humans go trough a "stalkification" before turning into combine soldiers, stalkers that have lost their hands and feet.
    Yet, there they are, the shirtless combine has perfectly good hands and no signs of scars or any kind of surgery.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Brazil Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

33. Post #793
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    I have a question:
    humans go trough a "stalkification" before turning into combine soldiers, stalkers that have lost their hands and feet.
    Yet, there they are, the shirtless combine has perfectly good hands and no signs of scars or any kind of surgery.
    Stalkers are completely separate from combine soldiers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

34. Post #794
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2009
    14,782 Posts
    it took me so long to realise this after i'd first seen stalkers
    man, i was stoopid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #795
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,086 Posts
    The houndeye sounds always creep me out.

36. Post #796
    March 2010
    1,646 Posts
    The houndeye sounds always creep me out.
    Houdeye sounds like a dog to me.
    Now BULLSQUID is where it gets nasty sounding.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

37. Post #797
    mrawr~
    November 2009
    3,619 Posts
    Walking around in the dark and suddenly stopping, rising into the air slowly

Buhhhhh barnacles give me the heebie jeebies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 3 (list)

38. Post #798
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    2,252 Posts
    Walking around in the dark and suddenly stopping, rising into the air slowly

Buhhhhh barnacles give me the heebie jeebies
    I actually haven't played a HL game in ages because of the Barnacles; there's something about them that makes me fucking petrified and quit immediately. The same applies to Skulltulas in the Zelda games, for some reason.

I think it's the whole hanging from the ceiling thing; somehow, it's just ridiculously creepy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #799
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,599 Posts
    oh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Brazil Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

40. Post #800
    July 2011
    6,504 Posts
    I have a question:
    Stalkers are the product of brutal, extreme Synth engineering by the Combine. They remove muscles so there is only skin and bone, they remove their digestive tract, leaving them with a gastric port, and remove genitalia. The remove their feet and hands, they completely change their way of thinking. They removed their way of speaking, hence why they scream when killed, and make weird groaning noises when walking around.
    Combineoverwiki posted:
    Stalker ' limb extremities (hands and lower legs) have been removed and replaced with bolted-on metallic augmentations which offer reduced agility. The reasoning behind this is unknown, but would be useful in dehumanizing them further, and would cause pain with every movement.

Apparently unable to talk, they will simply roar and make groans, probably because they have been both severely physically and mentally altered.

For ease of maintenance and to bring a dependence on the Combine, the Stalker's digestive tract has been removed, resulting in them surviving solely on a nutrient solution that the Combine provides, as evidenced by the gastric port in their sides. Stalker bodies are heavily atrophied, with very little muscle or fat tissue remaining.

All signs of their genitals have been surgically removed.

They have small plates on hinges next to their "eyes", which can be closed during periods of inactivity. In Half-Life 2: Episode One, during the trip in the stalker train, these plates are closed while the stalkers are in transport. After the train crashed the plates opened, which activated the stalkers.
    From Combineoverwiki
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)