1. Post #1521
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,644 Posts
    I see this get mention a lot and while I'm really interested in these kind of posts,
    the thing is I never found Highway 17 to be creepy.
    Could you please explain to me in alottle more detail why you found Highway 17 to be unnerving?
    it's just a really desolate chapter, y'know? the road's more or less totally absent of (human) life. that whole time, Gordon's just driving, driving, driving, never stopping for more than a few minutes, never completely sure of his destination other than that it's at the end of the road. it's just you, your car, the wind and the shore.

it's just an impenetrable ambience that you're alone. and you are, because it's one lonely damn road you're driving down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

2. Post #1522
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,466 Posts
    Or that boy just ain't right

Edited:

I like the more desolate parts of Half-life 2, hope we get to see more extremely unnerving shit in Ep3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

3. Post #1523
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,408 Posts
    gabe said that ep3 would be full of horrible shit

Edited:

more or less

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...eeds-to-scare/

Edited:

wouldn't mind another balls to the walls scary chapter like ravenholm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #1524
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    I still don't see how Ravenholm is scary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 37Optimistic Optimistic x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #1525
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,408 Posts
    pretty scary stuff when you're 12 and playing for the first time

let me rephrase: they should make another chapter where they focus on making it scary, instead of just mildly unsettling things
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 25Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #1526
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,466 Posts
    what about ep3 is scary in its entirety instead of just a chapter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #1527
    January 2009
    339 Posts
    what about ep3 is scary in its entirety instead of just a chapter
    I don't see how this can be a downside. I liked beta style which was pretty damn creepy all the time.

Good scary games give you thrill, and Valve makes pretty good games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

8. Post #1528
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,825 Posts
    Or that boy just ain't right

Edited:

I like the more desolate parts of Half-life 2, hope we get to see more extremely unnerving shit in Ep3

The stalker train scene is somewhere no player can be comfortable at any point.

Feel bad for Alyx too, it's bad enough that she couldn't get away from it, but it must have been screaming at her for ages till Gordon woke up from the crash.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 41Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

9. Post #1529
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,644 Posts
    I wonder why the Stalkers scream. maybe they're self-aware to some degree.

it's just weird looking at all the citizens and rebels looking up to you and thinking to yourself "Every single one of these people could be a Stalker tomorrow and I wouldn't even recognize them."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

10. Post #1530
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,150 Posts

wouldn't mind another balls to the walls scary chapter like ravenholm
    I want something more horrible that makes you shake your fucking eyes out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #1531
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    334 Posts

I only just noticed.

EDIT: so...many...clocks...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 27Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #1532
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    966 Posts
    I think the whole reason that Black Mesa East and White Forest were assaulted so heavily was because of Gordon being there. Rather odd that both bases were assaulted heavily while Gordon was there.
    The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 21Winner Winner x 3 (list)

13. Post #1533

December 2010
    95 Posts
    At the end of the Meet the Pyro video when he frys the Sniper he tilts his head like a confused dog, really shows how oblivious he is to what his is doing.....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

14. Post #1534
    August 2008
    2,625 Posts
    At the end of the Meet the Pyro video when he frys the Sniper he tilts his head like a confused dog, really shows how oblivious he is to what his is doing.....
    I could've sworn I heard some really high pitched screaming.

15. Post #1535
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,113 Posts
    I could've sworn I heard some really high pitched screaming.
    One of them thinks he's making flowers grow, everyone happy, and everything sounds like a baby laughing and the other is being burned alive. Which one is screaming then?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

16. Post #1536
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,885 Posts

The stalker train scene is somewhere no player can be comfortable at any point.

Feel bad for Alyx too, it's bad enough that she couldn't get away from it, but it must have been screaming at her for ages till Gordon woke up from the crash.
    That's interesting, because I actually found that scene to be quite erotic...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Funny x 40Friendly x 4Informative x 1Agree x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #1537
    January 2012
    94 Posts
    I've always thought the Consul, Manhack Arcade, and the Air Exchange were pretty unsettling. The Consul was supposed to be a ruthless dictator and revealed that later on in the story, he was to become an immortal creature off of combine life support technology. The Manhack Arcade was pretty messed up too because what the citizens thought was a simple arcade game where you play as a manhack, they are actually controlling real ones and murdering both citizens and refugees. The Air Exchange idea was to show how the Combine was ridding vital resources including oxygen from Earth and replacing it with their own deadly gas, causing all citizens to wear gasmasks and aprons and if they took the mask off, they'd be "coughing up bloody foam."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

18. Post #1538
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,644 Posts
    I think the idea of the Manhack Arcade is kind of silly. it's unsettling to imagine people killing eachother with an arcade game, but how stupid do these people have to be to not find it in the least bit odd that this alien empire brought their video games, out of no profit to themselves, to Earth? "oh yeah these aliens came and enslaved all of Earth and they hate humans, but look guys! they brought us video games!"

where the fuck is all the savviness? it's like they've been given a cup of tea by their absolute worst enemy, and absolutely no one is suspicious that it might be poisoned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 27Winner Winner x 2 (list)

19. Post #1539
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,408 Posts
    Maybe it worked like the gladiator games of ancient Rome, in that it entertained the masses and kept them from rioting, while also having the citizens kill political defectors and rebels.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 11Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #1540
    September 2009
    1,850 Posts
    Yeah but it would be pretty suspicious that the games are set in the exact same world as the one they live in. Especially since you're killing refugees and citizens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP France Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #1541
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,408 Posts
    Maybe people just accepted the belief that it was propaganda, but played it anyway since there were no alternatives.

I don't know, I think it could work, in a reality that is so detached from ours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

22. Post #1542
    August 2008
    2,625 Posts
    I think the idea of the Manhack Arcade is kind of silly. it's unsettling to imagine people killing eachother with an arcade game, but how stupid do these people have to be to not find it in the least bit odd that this alien empire brought their video games, out of no profit to themselves, to Earth? "oh yeah these aliens came and enslaved all of Earth and they hate humans, but look guys! they brought us video games!"

where the fuck is all the savviness? it's like they've been given a cup of tea by their absolute worst enemy, and absolutely no one is suspicious that it might be poisoned.
    Well the combine don't actually hate humans, they're just draining the planet of its resources and the Earth happened to have sentient life.

23. Post #1543
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,644 Posts
    Well the combine don't actually hate humans, they're just draining the planet of its resources and the Earth happened to have sentient life.
    well yeah but the distinction isn't very relevant when you're given a video game by the empire that came the fuck out of nowhere, brutally subjugated the human race, is screwing over Earth, and is gradually turning humanity into cyborg super-soldiers

they might not hate humans but they sure as fuck hate dissenting thought

24. Post #1544
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    1,388 Posts
    Maybe it worked like the gladiator games of ancient Rome, in that it entertained the masses and kept them from rioting, while also having the citizens kill political defectors and rebels.
    Panem et circenses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #1545
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    Yeah but it would be pretty suspicious that the games are set in the exact same world as the one they live in. Especially since you're killing refugees and citizens.
    maybe, like pyro, they see cartoonish characters instead of real people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

26. Post #1546
    September 2009
    1,850 Posts
    maybe, like pyro, they see cartoonish characters instead of real people.
    Well, yeah, if they are sufficiently advanced technologically this would be possible
    Wouldn't really fit with the overall mood of the game, though. Especially since the version of HL2 the arcade rooms are from was a lot darker than on release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP France Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #1547
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,764 Posts
    I think the whole reason that Black Mesa East and White Forest were assaulted so heavily was because of Gordon being there. Rather odd that both bases were assaulted heavily while Gordon was there.
    did you forget the part where alyx and the vort saw the combine fleet already heading for white forest after she was healed
    although the black mesa east part is true since mossman reported his presence to breen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #1548
    August 2010
    1,447 Posts
    The first part of the game has a really lonely depressing vibe to it, and playing highway 17 for the first time is also really eerie, especially that house, but also there's a section of the road before the gas station where there's just burned out cars everywhere, and a corpse beside a bicycle... sad. first moment where I really realised how intense the war must have been. interesting how the game gradually reveals a lot of details to you, like they don't tell you up front what the combine are, but somewhere along the way you realize that what you're fighting used to be human.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

29. Post #1549
    August 2010
    1,447 Posts
    and for the love of god, what was that video of some map with this song playing (about 30 seconds into the video) and some scary shit? I'm looking so hard for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

30. Post #1550
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,669 Posts
    and for the love of god, what was that video of some map with this song playing (about 30 seconds into the video) and some scary shit? I'm looking so hard for it.

I think I know what you're talking about.

It was a modified version of a map from the Found on the Tape ARG (The ARG just kinda stopped)...

Edited:

http://thebronasium.com/foundontheta...hetape_4/maps/

Here is the original version of the map, I'm looking to see if I can find the version you were talking about, But I fear it was lost with Megaupload.

Edited:

Not sure if this is the exact video, but I found one of what I think you're talking about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 22Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #1551
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,190 Posts
    -I'd better snip this before it gets worse-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Vietnam Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #1552
    May 2011
    519 Posts
    I think I know what you're talking about.

It was a modified version of a map from the Found on the Tape ARG (The ARG just kinda stopped)...
    That ARG! The memories...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Agree Agree x 2Late Late x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #1553
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,669 Posts
    That ARG! The memories...
    R.I.P. FotT ARG. (2011-2011) Gone too soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 2Late Late x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #1554
    June 2010
    1,047 Posts
    Not really a mindfuck but I never understood what was going on when Gordon was approaching Breen's room with Judith. He was in the prisoner pod but there were no rails. He appeared to be floating.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #1555
    January 2009
    143 Posts
    Doesn't this look like the room where you wake up in Portal 2?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 13Disagree x 5Dumb x 2Optimistic x 1Informative x 1Late x 1 (list)

36. Post #1556
    June 2012
    528 Posts
    Not really a mindfuck but I never understood what was going on when Gordon was approaching Breen's room with Judith. He was in the prisoner pod but there were no rails. He appeared to be floating.
    Maybe there was hidden advisor somewhere?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #1557
    June 2012
    21 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnhwN_w_0XQ

The soldier is being eaten alive and the first thing he worries about is his teammates. How loving :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #1558
    June 2012
    528 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnhwN_w_0XQ

The soldier is being eaten alive and the first thing he worries about is his teammates. How loving :(
    "Area is not secure"

:(

39. Post #1559
    July 2009
    5,881 Posts
    "Medic?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

40. Post #1560
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,644 Posts
    imagine, as a Combine soldier, hearing a friendly soldier over the radio and only finding a zombie when you go to his last-known coordinates. but then it'd arguably be worse if you never found him, because then you'd have to put up with "Biotics... in sector... help......medic...?" every time you turned on the radio.

some Silent Hill shit right there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11Agree Agree x 3 (list)