1. Post #1081
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    15,070 Posts
    This happened just a few hours ago, as i was playing through HL2 again just for the hell of it.
    I managed to get to Water Hazard and i stopped the airboat to do that puzzle where you have to get those two blue barrels that are out of reach.
    So as i'm going through the pipe that leads me to them, i suddenly hear a really fucking creepy ambient laugh from behind me and then the game crashes.
    That one little fucking tunnel in the puzzle you're talking about always scared me stiff for no reason whatsoever. Like, just the whooshing ambience that comes out of that long, cramped pipe scares the hell out of me and it's inbetween TWO LARGE OPEN AREAS IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT. It's the first time you hear the 'rush of air' ambience in the game and it shouldn't even remotely scare anyone, yet here I am. I guess headcrab-in-vent syndrome has overtaken me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #1082
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,377 Posts
    Intriguing. Why on Earth would there be an ambient laughing noise in Water Hazard? Just to clarify, were you talking about the puzzle where you use the blue barrels to create a ramp for the airboat?
    Yes, that's the puzzle i meant. I'm going to try and listen for it again tomorrow.

3. Post #1083
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,615 Posts
    The ambient laughing noise was always there, I am pretty sure the soundscape was for City 17
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 6 (list)

4. Post #1084
    Sock the Foot Cloth
    Dennab
    November 2010
    1,952 Posts

I always hated this part, namely when it started to friggin' shake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 44Disagree Disagree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #1085
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    5,042 Posts

I remember going through this part in Smod, on the way back I got scared shitless by a scream, turns out the mod spawns stalkers on the bridge.

Other than that, in general I hated this part too, nothing worse than having to jump and try to land on a thin beam, and having Gordon slide slightly on it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 22Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 2 (list)

6. Post #1086
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    I actually like that bridge part for some reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 51Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #1087
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2009
    14,782 Posts
    I actually like that bridge part for some reason.
    Open air, sea below you, mist around you. Feels free more than anything.
    A bit too free with the tightrope-like framework of the bridge, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #1088
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,287 Posts
    You guys are making me want to reinstall Half-Life 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Vietnam Show Events Agree Agree x 10Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #1089
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,544 Posts
    The ambient laughing noise was always there, I am pretty sure the soundscape was for City 17
    What laughing noise is everyone talking about?

I use plenty of ambience noise in my maps, but don't recall any laughter. Though I am reminded of a wind sound that does sort of sound like a weird chanting if you listen closely.

I'm probably thinking of the wrong sound, but here's the one I'm thinking of, used in my CSS map:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #1090
    April 2011
    480 Posts

after being chased by a helicopter, a lot of combines and the cars with rocket launcher, you can get to this place which is peaceful, you can listen bells somewhere, and then when you go near the resupply box a lot of headcrabs appears
    i dont know why, but i loved it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 25Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #1091
    October 2011
    920 Posts
    Beta Stalkers have the special ability of violating their victim's eardrums.

probably late but still creepy as fuck   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 14Friendly Friendly x 2Late Late x 2 (list)

12. Post #1092
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    713 Posts
    This fucker

I don't know if anyone remembers the old gmod9 map rp_subtransit. It always felt pretty creepy if you were playing alone. Then one time i was in one of the tunnels and for whatever reason i wasn't making a lot of noise and I heard that sound really quiet. Bricks were shat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 9Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #1093
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,457 Posts
    I used to put that in my maps just to creep people out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 23Winner Winner x 3 (list)

14. Post #1094
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,003 Posts
    After playing Portal 2 I thought a little bit about what happened to Rattman after the Lab Rat comic.
    The graffiti you see when you get the portal gun back seems to indicate that he lived long enough to paint it.

But then, a huge amount of time passes between the 2 games.
    If he didn't succumb to his wounds afterwards, he had a plenty of food (remember the cans?) to keep him nourished until help arrived (which it probably didn't)
    So...

Rattman died, alone, deep underground, insane, talking to a cube.

And it's not like things would have been much better above ground, because of the Combine.

edit: upon re-reading the comic it seems that he painted the last murals before he was shot by the turrets

so uh

that's something to take into account

15. Post #1095
    After playing Portal 2 I thought a little bit about what happened to Rattman after the Lab Rat comic.
    The graffiti you see when you get the portal gun back seems to indicate that he lived long enough to paint it.

But then, a huge amount of time passes between the 2 games.
    If he didn't succumb to his wounds afterwards, he had a plenty of food (remember the cans?) to keep him nourished until help arrived (which it probably didn't)
    So...

Rattman died, alone, deep underground, insane, talking to a cube.

And it's not like things would have been much better above ground, because of the Combine.

edit: upon re-reading the comic it seems that he painted the last murals before he was shot by the turrets

so uh

that's something to take into account
    I know where he went

On a less-silly note, I think VALVe should make Half Life 2 a bit darker, show the real toll on the rebels, I think running into some people who just outright break under the pressure and turn against you would be pretty cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

16. Post #1096
    August 2008
    2,674 Posts
    Like, turn on you because you're wanted?

Also, I've always been creeped out by the skeleton couple in Episode 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

17. Post #1097
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,657 Posts

I love and hate this part. Somehow this part thrills me more than the Citadel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

18. Post #1098
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    828 Posts

after being chased by a helicopter, a lot of combines and the cars with rocket launcher, you can get to this place which is peaceful, you can listen bells somewhere, and then when you go near the resupply box a lot of headcrabs appears
    i dont know why, but i loved it
    Found a clip showing that place with bells.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

19. Post #1099
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,657 Posts
    Reminds me of a Tibetan monk's temple.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #1100
    October 2011
    920 Posts

This fucker right here.

The underwater parts of HL1 are scary as hell thanks to him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14Late Late x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #1101
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,322 Posts
    Fucking hate the Ichthyosaur, I've had some awful experiences with those fuckers.

Edited:

Especially the    Nihilanth battle when you get dropped into a lake and there's an Ichthyosaur in it   . I was playing HL:S this Christmas, too scared to go in the water, but I finally decided "fuck it, lets jump in." I jump in, expecting to see him, and he isn't there. I scan the water in front of me and then turn around.

Ichthyosaur all up in my shit.

Edited:

Also

Fuck that shit, this is why I can't go into water in any games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

22. Post #1102
    July 2011
    6,504 Posts
       Nihilanth battle when you get dropped into a lake and there's an Ichthyosaur in it   ,
    It's been 14 years, you don't need to spoiler it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Funny Funny x 11Disagree Disagree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #1103
    Dr. Conro J. Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
    July 2007
    7,712 Posts
    I still haven't beaten it what happens does gordan get the girl????????????
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 34Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #1104
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,322 Posts
    Some people haven't played it. I mean,

It's been 14 years.

[sub][sub]Of silence, it's been 14 years of paaaain[/sub][/sub]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #1105
    October 2011
    920 Posts
    Remember that Fast Zombie in the dumpster in EP2 that throws nades back at you due to glitches?
    Well a while ago I managed to get a grenade stuck in there and explode.
    My joy and surprise lasted about two seconds before a pissed off, on fire, and very much not quite dead fast zombie jumped out in my face.
    So yeah, it didn't end well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 26Winner Winner x 2 (list)

26. Post #1106
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,322 Posts
    Remember that Fast Zombie in the dumpster in EP2 that throws nades back at you due to glitches?
    My joy and surprise lasted about two seconds before a pissed off, on fire, and very much not quite dead fast zombie jumped out in my face.
    Last time I played that part, he threw it out to me and I threw it back in.

Edited:

Zombies should realize that when they grenade juggle with me, they're gonna die.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 30 (list)

27. Post #1107
    July 2007
    346 Posts
    The first time I played though Episdoe 2, and got to the part just before     Alyx gets stabbed by the Hunter     I got incredibly creeped out by the Hunter that's outside of the window. I heard the sound it makes and turned around, only to see it move away because it knew it had been spotted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

28. Post #1108
    The Pain Train's a-comin! Woo woo!
    August 2010
    1,140 Posts
    First time I played, he threw the grenade back and it exploded on my face.

I was a sad panda that day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 9Friendly Friendly x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #1109
    In the final version of the game its not a glitch, its scripted so that when you throw a grenade a trigger push throws it out.
    Although, they came up with the idea from a glitch where a box launched the grenade out.
    source = Dev commentary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Informative Informative x 2 (list)

30. Post #1110
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,567 Posts

I actually loved this part, never died from falling though I did get killed a bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #1111
    July 2009
    6,056 Posts
    There was the part in Episode 2 where you go to retrieve the extract in the mines, and then at some point you fall onto a mine cart and it sends you catapulting into a pit full of water. After I got out of the water, I started climbing up the long ladder. Except...when I reached the top, I was surprised by the vortigaunt who tagged along with me. I was home alone and had just gotten the game, so I had my speakers on full blast. After reaching the top of the ladder, the vortigaunt suddenly popped his head out and the blast of "AHHHHHHHHHHHH, THE FREEMAAAAAAAN," sent me flying back down into the pit.

Scared the hell out of me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 18Agree Agree x 9Late Late x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #1112
    December 2010
    654 Posts
    There was the part in Episode 2 where you go to retrieve the extract in the mines, and then at some point you fall onto a mine cart and it sends you catapulting into a pit full of water. After I got out of the water, I started climbing up the long ladder. Except...when I reached the top, I was surprised by the vortigaunt who tagged along with me. I was home alone and had just gotten the game, so I had my speakers on full blast. After reaching the top of the ladder, the vortigaunt suddenly popped his head out and the blast of "AHHHHHHHHHHHH, THE FREEMAAAAAAAN," sent me flying back down into the pit.

Scared the hell out of me.
    1:30
    I don't know how to get it to start at a specific time with media tags.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 29Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1113
    July 2009
    1,001 Posts
    This happened just a few hours ago, as i was playing through HL2 again just for the hell of it.
    I managed to get to Water Hazard and i stopped the airboat to do that puzzle where you have to get those two blue barrels that are out of reach.
    So as i'm going through the pipe that leads me to them, i suddenly hear a really fucking creepy ambient laugh from behind me and then the game crashes.
    Er wat

Decided to play through HL2 again for the sake of it after reading this thread
    was at that same exact fucking part and I heard a laughing sound, but no crash
    except every map has been on mat_fullbright 1 since then and I can't get it off
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

34. Post #1114
    July 2009
    6,056 Posts
    1:30
    I don't know how to get it to start at a specific time with media tags.
    Yah! Just like that, except without dieing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

35. Post #1115
    March 2011
    1,556 Posts
    Er wat

I literally walked through that tunnel 4 fucking times and didn't hear it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #1116
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,457 Posts
    In all honesty, that part of EP2 scared the fucking shit out of me.

Mainly because it didn't trigger properly for me and I was trying to get into the dumpster to look for supplies and suddenly fast zombie out of nowhere.

37. Post #1117
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    9,310 Posts
    Yes, that's the puzzle i meant. I'm going to try and listen for it again tomorrow.
    Think you can record it and post it on YouTube for us, or maybe someone can find the specific sound in the .gcf files and upload it using SoundCloud?

Edited:

I love the bridge, both because it plays a slightly different version of the HL2 intro theme, and because I'm so good at speedrunning this part. I also get a good laugh or two when I miss a beam and fall to my death, and even more so if I'm on Synergy with my friends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

38. Post #1118
    August 2008
    2,674 Posts
    Think you can record it and post it on YouTube for us, or maybe someone can find the specific sound in the .gcf files and upload it using SoundCloud?
    I'd look through the GCF, but it'd help if I knew what I was even looking for.. there's so many things he could have mistaken it for.. but I'll upload anything that sounds remotely like a laugh (even Grigori's) to be sure.

Hmm.. I was checking the ambient sounds.. could have sworn I heard some faint, backwards talking in one of them. Will upload on soundcloud in a sec.

Edited:

removed for privacy's sake

It plays in the right channel.. Anybody else hear it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

39. Post #1119
    Why do I have to live with a cake roll in my arm? ;_;
    November 2009
    2,278 Posts
    Er wat

Strange, I was on that puzzle as well a moment ago, and I could not hear any laughs whatsoever. But after I read that you guys actually hear it I was pretty much creeped by every ambient in that pipe.

I am going to research right now because I am very curious.

40. Post #1120
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,458 Posts
    Strange, I was on that puzzle as well a moment ago, and I could not hear any laughs whatsoever. But after I read that you guys actually hear it I was pretty much creeped by every ambient in that pipe.

I am going to research right now because I am very curious.
    Sounds to me like a lame attempt at some mild creepypasta
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)