1. Post #1121
    Why do I have to live with a cake roll in my arm? ;_;
    November 2009
    2,278 Posts
    Sounds to me like a lame attempt at some mild creepypasta
    Kinda does, I've just checked some of the files in source sounds gcf and I didn't find anything interesting. If that is true, someone will eventually post some proof, right?

2. Post #1122
    Kinda does, I've just checked some of the files in source sounds gcf and I didn't find anything interesting. If that is true, someone will eventually post some proof, right?
    You have to search deeper
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Useful Useful x 7Zing Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #1123
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,454 Posts
    If anything we should be able to check the soundscape used in that particular area and see if it is one of the random sounds it will play. Of corse, if no audio file exists with this laughing in it in the first place, then it isn't much longer than that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #1124
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    You don't even have to go through the pipe anyways. You can just climb that log iirc.

5. Post #1125
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,155 Posts
    Okay, I was replaying HL2 and I got to the bit with the pipe that we're talking about. So I figure I may as well turn my sound up, to see if I can hear laughing.

I didn't, but I am now fairly certain that the ambient wind is anything but.

I don't want to sound corny, but... wind doesn't sound like that. It sounded like someone howling from a very, very long distance away. My first thought would be headcrab zombies, but they don't howl in long, protracted draws, they just scream backwards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #1126
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    Okay, I was replaying HL2 and I got to the bit with the pipe that we're talking about. So I figure I may as well turn my sound up, to see if I can hear laughing.

I don't want to sound corny, but... wind doesn't sound like that. It sounded like someone howling from a very, very long distance away. My first thought would be headcrab zombies, but they don't howl in long, protracted draws, they just scream backwards.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52116717/town_zombie_call1.wav

Edited:

I'm guessing that "laugh" is one of these:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52116717/town_scared_sob1.wav
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52116717/town_scared_sob2.wav
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #1127
    November 2009
    2,278 Posts
    -snip-

8. Post #1128
    August 2010
    860 Posts
    There's some black voodo around every half-life game. Also I just finished hl2 again.

That screams in the citadel were not that scary, but there's something creepy about the stalkers.

9. Post #1129
    November 2009
    2,278 Posts
    So I have decompiled the map for the scientific purposes, the soundscape in the pipe is named 'd1_canals.spooky_infested_pipe'.

I am not 100% sure but those are the sound used in this soundscape:
    ambient/wind/wind_moan1.wav
    ambient/wind/wind_moan2.wav
    ambient/wind/wind_snippet1.wav
    ambient/wind/wind_snippet2.wav
    ambient/wind/wind_moan4.wav
    ambient/levels/canals/critter6.wav
    ambient/atmosphere/hole_hit1.wav
    ambient/atmosphere/hole_hit5.wav

They play out at random.

Might have been 'wind_moan04.wav', actually, it could have been any of the 'wind_moan0x.wav' files.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

10. Post #1130
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    I thought they might've used some of the town ambience files. Guess I remembered incorrectly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #1131
    September 2009
    2,159 Posts
    Those are used in Ravenholm if I remember correctly.

12. Post #1132
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    I know that, yes.

13. Post #1133
    July 2009
    1,001 Posts
    Update, had just finished HL2. After making that post last night, I got on today a few hours ago and booted up the game and played it to the very end. Took me until the chapter with the suppression mortar in city 17 to realize that every single map on that save after I had made the previous post wasn't mat_fullbright.

Edited:

And it isn't anything about reloading the map or restarting my computer. I've done every thing I could think of at least twice and nothing seemed to make a difference until after I posted.

Edited:

Ha, also should mention that earlier in the same chapter "Water Hazard" I killed a regular zombie and it died making the laugh of a poison zombie, but I just brushed it off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

14. Post #1134
    August 2008
    2,674 Posts
    Did anybody ever decipher that backwards talking in my last post? The most I can do is get rid of the left channel and then center the right one.

15. Post #1135
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    713 Posts
    Did anybody ever decipher that backwards talking in my last post? The most I can do is get rid of the left channel and then center the right one.
    flip the phase on the left channel then add it to the right. Then you'll just be left with the difference
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

16. Post #1136
    March 2012
    15 Posts
    Mind fuckry #1 - HL1 how the same guys somehow kept meeting me throughout the game and without a scratch on them.

#2 - The whole Philadelphia Experiment project that epicly failed in the beginning of HL1

#3 - HL2 How the Gman looks like my neighbor

#4 - Garry's Mod - How I died from a coffee cup falling on me.

#5 - Garry's Mod - Running server in a cluster with 5 other Gmod servers I was in the game on Space build 3 and Map Gooniverse. I crashed my space ship POS 101 into the map bottom edge and it not only crashes gmod it took the other game servers down with it and the other 5 were idle with no one in them. Thing is there was no crash dump and it hasen't happened again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 41Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #1137
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    1,423 Posts
    So, the sounds are coming from an infested pipe?

I guess that makes sense. Would be creepy if it's some really long water pipe that goes all the way past ravenholm and the sounds are coming from that (which honestly doesn't make sense at all but iunno)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #1138
    April 2009
    844 Posts
    In half life 2 episode 2, this isnt mind fuckery, but when you're getting chased by the antilion guardian underground and you hear him charging towards you from behind.

Every time :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 19Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #1139
    November 2009
    2,278 Posts

I guess that makes sense. Would be creepy if it's some really long water pipe that goes all the way past ravenholm and the sounds are coming from that (which honestly doesn't make sense at all but iunno)
    Actually, this pipe has another route which is blocked, but it would probably go to some other part of the canals. Would make more sense if Ravenholm was just by d1_canals_06.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

20. Post #1140
    March 2011
    1,556 Posts
    Mind fuckry #1 - HL1 how the same guys somehow kept meeting me throughout the game and without a scratch on them.

#2 - The whole Philadelphia Experiment project that epicly failed in the beginning of HL1

#5 - Garry's Mod - Running server in a cluster with 5 other Gmod servers I was in the game on Space build 3 and Map Gooniverse. I crashed my space ship POS 101 into the map bottom edge and it not only crashes gmod it took the other game servers down with it and the other 5 were idle with no one in them. Thing is there was no crash dump and it hasen't happened again.
    what the hell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 30Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #1141
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,155 Posts

Maybe it's like in Metro 2033, where strange, ghostly noises reverberating through the pipes were coming from somebody placing a music box against it.

Perhaps, somewhere far along the line, there's a swarm of zombies banging on the pipes, trying to claw through and get to the rats they hear scurrying within.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

22. Post #1142
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,155 Posts
    So I was replaying HL2 again today, and I noticed the rebels were, as always, constantly telling me to reload.

Then I had a thought; what if, rather than reminding me to reload my gun, they were telling to me reload the game itself after I inevitably die at some point? They would effectively stop existing if I didn't, so perhaps they're trying to convince me to keep them "alive" until the game's over.

no fourth wall in VALV[sup]e[/sup] offices man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 41Funny Funny x 6Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #1143
    July 2011
    6,504 Posts

wtf is this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

24. Post #1144
    So I was replaying HL2 again today, and I noticed the rebels were, as always, constantly telling me to reload.

Then I had a thought; what if, rather than reminding me to reload my gun, they were telling to me reload the game itself after I inevitably die at some point? They would effectively stop existing if I didn't, so perhaps they're trying to convince me to keep them "alive" until the game's over.

no fourth wall in VALV[sup]e[/sup] offices man
    Meta-Life 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

25. Post #1145
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,895 Posts
    Every once in a while, the game freezes, and upon my screen pops up a little transparent block. On this block is written LOADING.

What could it mean?

Either way it creeps me out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 31Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #1146
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,971 Posts
    Is it true that in HL2 when you complete a map, go to the next map and then return all the rebels on the map will be dead?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #1147
    July 2011
    6,504 Posts
    Is it true that in HL2 when you complete a map, go to the next map and then return all the rebels on the map will be dead?
    Doesn't seem likely
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #1148
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    If that happened, they could never change map with you (or at least never twice), which I know they can do.

29. Post #1149
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,971 Posts
    Weird I remember seeing that rebels which don't join you (rebels which hide in the canals, rebels which give you the car) die in an article on some respectable website I don't remember
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #1150
    August 2008
    2,674 Posts
    Weird I remember seeing that rebels which don't join you (rebels which hide in the canals, rebels which give you the car) die in an article on some respectable website I don't remember
    Well I remember that the lady who gives you the airboat dies if you leave then come back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #1151
    Sandy disappears when you leave.
    The airboat lady gets turned into a fast zombie.
    The pipe guy in the canals is found dead if you go back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 17Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #1152
    July 2009
    6,055 Posts
    I think VALVe did that to further enhance the whole "Dark side of the Freeman" thing where bad things happen to others where ever he goes. Y'know, citizens/rebels dieing, Eli being captured, Alyx getting stabbed, bring antlions to Griggs and Sheckley, White Forest being invaded, Eli dieing.

With all that bad Juju surrounding Gordon, I'm surprised the rocket didn't fall back down and blow the shit out of White Forest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 24Funny Funny x 9 (list)

33. Post #1153
    With all that bad Juju surrounding Gordon, I'm surprised the rocket didn't fall back down and blow the shit out of White Forest.
    Well, you seemed to forget that there was a possibility to    close the hatch on that rocket and leave LAmarr in there.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Zing Zing x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1154
    wug
    Tumornator 2: Judgement Day
    June 2010
    2,724 Posts
    Some scary fucking shit happened to me in half life one once. I was playing through it, and somehow the pitworm sounds were playing. The sounds from opposing force, yes. I could hear it all throughout xen. Somehow it had replaced my tentacle sounds and when i got to xen all i heard was that ear piercing scream when it takes damage looped over it's death sound. The tentacle was right ontop of a xen tree and all the textures were fucking up. Scientist facemaps were plastered over most of the rocks, and the alien grunts models were fucked up and stretched and shit, so i decided to play on intrigued by this strange phenomenon. My ears were hurting so i turned off my headphones and played without sound. The tentacle was teleporting around the map, sometimes right infront of me. When i looked at it there was huge lag and the textures of the sky would fuck up and turn into gargantua textures. Speaking of which, when i got up to the gargantua part i was fucking terrified. The texture fucked up and it was the same as what the skybox should have been. It was teleporting around, the animations were fucked up playing 0.1x the speed they should and it was invincible. It followed me all the way to gonarch's lair. Which was also horrifying. The actual crustacean part of the gonarch was all pink and black and the sack was see through and had that "hall of mirrors" effect and whenever it layed babycrabs about 100 came out and i had to use ent_remove and skip to interloper. Interloper was pretty normal, the maximum fuck up came at nihilanth. I felt i was missing alot so i put on the headphones and the tentacle scream was still there and i was in an enclosed room with valve logos everywhere and a skybox textured gargantua next to me. It was that room used for ambient sounds. So i noclipped out and the sound "FREEMAN!" was looping so i had to turn down my headphones, the tentacle scream still going. The gargantua sounds were looping, all the sounds were fucking looping the gravity was fucked up and a gonarch spawned. When i finally used cheats to beat him, gman's texture was pitch black and when i didn't accept the offer it froze. When i restarted it and accepted the offer the game also froze.
    I had a look in the game files and what do you know, they were all fucked up everything sprawled across the place, files from other games spliced in everywhere it was so painful to look at. But it was still horrifying. I can't believe i didnt type in "record" in the console, fuck people would have loved to see it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 19Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #1155
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    Sounds like some terrible attempt at a creepypasta.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

36. Post #1156
    The Pain Train's a-comin! Woo woo!
    August 2010
    1,140 Posts
    Some scary fucking shit happened to me in half life one once. I was playing through it, and somehow the pitworm sounds were playing. The sounds from opposing force, yes. I could hear it all throughout xen. Somehow it had replaced my tentacle sounds and when i got to xen all i heard was that ear piercing scream when it takes damage looped over it's death sound. The tentacle was right ontop of a xen tree and all the textures were fucking up. Scientist facemaps were plastered over most of the rocks, and the alien grunts models were fucked up and stretched and shit, so i decided to play on intrigued by this strange phenomenon. My ears were hurting so i turned off my headphones and played without sound. The tentacle was teleporting around the map, sometimes right infront of me. When i looked at it there was huge lag and the textures of the sky would fuck up and turn into gargantua textures. Speaking of which, when i got up to the gargantua part i was fucking terrified. The texture fucked up and it was the same as what the skybox should have been. It was teleporting around, the animations were fucked up playing 0.1x the speed they should and it was invincible. It followed me all the way to gonarch's lair. Which was also horrifying. The actual crustacean part of the gonarch was all pink and black and the sack was see through and had that "hall of mirrors" effect and whenever it layed babycrabs about 100 came out and i had to use ent_remove and skip to interloper. Interloper was pretty normal, the maximum fuck up came at nihilanth. I felt i was missing alot so i put on the headphones and the tentacle scream was still there and i was in an enclosed room with valve logos everywhere and a skybox textured gargantua next to me. It was that room used for ambient sounds. So i noclipped out and the sound "FREEMAN!" was looping so i had to turn down my headphones, the tentacle scream still going. The gargantua sounds were looping, all the sounds were fucking looping the gravity was fucked up and a gonarch spawned. When i finally used cheats to beat him, gman's texture was pitch black and when i didn't accept the offer it froze. When i restarted it and accepted the offer the game also froze.
    I had a look in the game files and what do you know, they were all fucked up everything sprawled across the place, files from other games spliced in everywhere it was so painful to look at. But it was still horrifying. I can't believe i didnt type in "record" in the console, fuck people would have loved to see it.
    Suddenly a skeleton appeared!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Brazil Show Events Informative Informative x 9Funny Funny x 2 (list)

37. Post #1157
    October 2011
    918 Posts
    In half life 2 episode 2, this isnt mind fuckery, but when you're getting chased by the antilion guardian underground and you hear him charging towards you from behind.

Every time :(
    Even worse is trying to do it whilst carrying that fucking gnome. Carrying stuff disables sprinting, so the moment you hear that roar you have to bunny hop for dear life towards the nearest grub nest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 22Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #1158
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    Even worse is trying to do it whilst carrying that fucking gnome. Carrying stuff disables sprinting, so the moment you hear that roar you have to bunny hop for dear life towards the nearest grub nest.
    You know, you can leave the gnome with Alyx and the other Vortigaunts if you don't want to carry it through all that...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 13Agree Agree x 6 (list)

39. Post #1159
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    1,423 Posts
    Sounds like some terrible attempt at a creepypasta.
    thatsthejoke.avi
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #1160
    July 2009
    6,055 Posts
    Reminds me of

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 2 (list)