1. Post #321
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    I hear you, yeah the end is quite random, probably gonna delete that. And maybe the bass is too loud, I've heard that from other people. But I want the song to have a soft synth. And the whole ropething.. The buildup doesn't create enough tension?
    Right. It's always good to get another opinion though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #322
    August 2005
    3,945 Posts
    I wanted to make some rock song or something, but since I don't have any guitars or anything I just synthesized them instead. The guitars are synthesizers, not samples except the drums. Since it's all synthetic I made some chiptune ish sounds to make it sound more like a chiptune instead.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/244444/weird%20chiprock.mp3

I kind of like its synthetic feel, so it's not like it's supposed to sound realistic.

Edited:

The style is much like Anamanaguchi I guess.

May I also add this is my first time making something like this and I'm not really an expert in this type of music. Maybe I should listen to a few songs to get an idea on how I should write riffs and stuff, cause atm it's pretty much just 1/8 all the way for the guitars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #323
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    I hate the sound of fake guitars, probably just because I play guitar. Probably doesn't bother other people nearly as much. The song sounds well generic yet good.

4. Post #324
    August 2005
    3,945 Posts
    If I could I would've used real guitars. But I don't know about this song, it sounds so cheesy and generic melody-wise.

What do you call this type of music if you look away from the sounds? It reminds me of something but I don't know what.

Edited:

It was a lot of fun to make though because I really love creating bass guitar-like sounds as well as normal guitars distorted in Reason 5. It's just a filtered raw saw, but all those effects make it sound more lively. When I you add room reverb with almost no size and decay plus distortion it becomes interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

5. Post #325
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Stills need a lot of work, mainly with my voice and the a lot of mixing tweaks. I'm trying to experiment with the dynamics of it.

http://soundcloud.com/pepin/what-can-i-say-wip-v2

6. Post #326
    August 2005
    3,945 Posts
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/244444/mod2.mp3

An Amiga inspired song.

All I need now is to code a retro game and use this song for its menu!

7. Post #327
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,942 Posts
    Made this in FL Studio 9 today, it's some sort of House/Electro thing. Hell it even has some Trance in it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #328
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,717 Posts
    Made this in FL Studio 9 today, it's some sort of House/Electro thing. Hell it even has some Trance in it.

I came.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #329
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,746 Posts
    http://soundcloud.com/kilvert/ara

My first soundcloud upload.
    A track I put quite a lot of effort into.
    (Feel free to comment on the soundcloud player)

Oh note, its mellow chill out with strings a nice beat and sorta ambiency.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #330
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,044 Posts
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/244444/mod2.mp3

An Amiga inspired song.

All I need now is to code a retro game and use this song for its menu!
    Awesome. Put that on a Turrican clone and you're golden.

Here, have some random garbage I made for school:
    http://dump.no/files/8ea121404257/C0mm3rc3_PI_Ink.mp3

11. Post #331
    August 2005
    3,945 Posts
    more amiga stuff

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/244444/mod3.mp3

reminds me of some game where you complete a level or kind of like final fantasy when you win a battle and you view what you've earned. at least the beginning of the song, the rest is more jazzy

12. Post #332
    July 2006
    10,217 Posts
    Reminds me of the music by Danger. Awesome stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

13. Post #333
    equalize, distort, equalize
    March 2007
    5,033 Posts
    A little something I've been working on today after watching Alien again :

http://soundcloud.com/nackhe/perfect-organism
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

14. Post #334
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    368 Posts
    A little something I've been working on today after watching Alien again :

http://soundcloud.com/nackhe/perfect-organism
    how'd you make your kick, though hydra/jugalist?

15. Post #335
    March 2007
    5,033 Posts
    how'd you make your kick, though hydra/jugalist?
    Yup, with Hydra.

Great softsynth for kicks. :)

Edit:

It's several layers though, because Hydra kinda has this 'thin' sound to it.

16. Post #336
    pkt
    May 2008
    577 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5bA_su2pyc
    My newest little thing...

17. Post #337
    August 2005
    3,945 Posts
    reminds me of this

18. Post #338
    November 2008
    1,266 Posts
    I'm horrible at making good transitions, any tips?

19. Post #339
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    I'm horrible at making good transitions, any tips?
    Create tension. Things that change or resolve should sound like they want to. Like if you play a I V progression and let it hang on the V, it's going to want to go back to the I chord. A lot of tension is created if it isn't resolved. You can take any phrase, add tension to it over a few measures and then it'll want to resolve and change to something with less tension. Generally you'll want to release as much tension as you create. You can create tension in a lot of ways, one way is to actually repeat a phrase over and over, listen to the the ending of the Stairway to Heaven solo (or a lot of other solos) and you'll see what I mean.

Another option is slowly changing the melody. This happens in classical movement, there will be two completely different melodies that don't seem like they'd be in the same song if you were to listen to them back to back, but through a long transition the composer goes from one to the other.

The easiest way is to just do some V chords. To provide an example, think about Master of Puppets by Metallica, right before it hits the chorus it goes right into a string of V chords (B is the fifth of E). Since the fifth chord creates tension and wants to resolve, they can easily go to into the chorus which starts out with an E (the note it V wanted to resolve to) and the release of tensions allows a new part to be played.

You can get into more complex stuff (although my example is pretty simple) as well if you want and usually you have to think a little bit. For example, in this song I did (you don't have to listen to it but if you want to the part is around 4:30) I wanted to go from the key of A Dorian back into the key of G major. So what I decided to do was to climb up the chords in the transition sequence, the listener's ear is going to to expect me to continue to the V chord or to just go all the way up to A again, but instead I stay on D (which is the fifth of G) and stay on it for a few measures, this creates tension and it also makes the progression want to resolve to a G instead of an A, and after I felt like enough tension was created I went back into the G. A bit of an explanation there, but in some situations you may have to think a bit about how to get from place to place in your song. In the song I posted somewhere above my idea for the ending was the build up a lot of tension through using a I V progression repeating fast, add in some layering, some singing that doesn't resolve, and some dissonant/extended tones, greater volume, and repetition, and the ending sounds good because all of that gets resolved. Even if it doesn't work as good as thought out, thinking about music will aid you later projects.

Hope I've been a bit of help. Analyze your favorite music and see how they do transitions and why they work. There are reasons why it works if you look.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

20. Post #340
    pkt
    May 2008
    577 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUOjj5lUNjI

Makes me feel really at peace and relaxed cept towards the end.

21. Post #341
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,622 Posts
    Anyone got any tips for making a song with vocals and guitar more interesting? I'm thinking of adding synthesizer parts to it once I finish working out the vocals (Which I should do by tonight I hope).

My current stuff, (Which I'll admit is a little shoddy), can be found:
    http://www.last.fm/music/Still+Say+Rad
    http://soundcloud.com/still-say-rad

22. Post #342
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    You need to get some better recordings and mix it better. You're holding back with your singing, and trust me, that always going to make you sound worse. On the first song on your Soundcloud you need to watch the pops with hard P's and T's.

Second song, you're way out of breath and it's really obvious. Again you're holding back. They rhythm is nonsensical a lot of times. Same popping issue.

What I'd recommend you do is get a decent DAW if you don't already have one. I don't at all recommend audacity because making and mixing songs in it is a very frustrating process. Get some drum loops and put them in the song. Record the bass if you have one, if not then you could do a virtual bass or if you really wanted you could just play your guitar like a bass and proceed to pitch shift it down an octave. Record the guitar. Make sure your timing is spot on. Then record the vocals and go all out with them, don't sing soft or half trying because you think you have a bad voice. A drum track and bass would help out your songs a lot. I thought the guitar was decent in your songs. Then all you have to do is to not hold back singing.

You don't need to worry about making anything more interesting yet, especially with shorter vocal songs.

Edited:

Here's a dumb little showing of holding back vs. not holding back.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Sing_compare.mp3

Regardless of how well you think I sing, I'm always going to sound far worse when I hold back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #343
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,622 Posts
    You need to get some better recordings and mix it better. You're holding back with your singing, and trust me, that always going to make you sound worse. On the first song on your Soundcloud you need to watch the pops with hard P's and T's.

Second song, you're way out of breath and it's really obvious. Again you're holding back. They rhythm is nonsensical a lot of times. Same popping issue.

What I'd recommend you do is get a decent DAW if you don't already have one. I don't at all recommend audacity because making and mixing songs in it is a very frustrating process. Get some drum loops and put them in the song. Record the bass if you have one, if not then you could do a virtual bass or if you really wanted you could just play your guitar like a bass and proceed to pitch shift it down an octave. Record the guitar. Make sure your timing is spot on. Then record the vocals and go all out with them, don't sing soft or half trying because you think you have a bad voice. A drum track and bass would help out your songs a lot. I thought the guitar was decent in your songs. Then all you have to do is to not hold back singing.

You don't need to worry about making anything more interesting yet, especially with shorter vocal songs.

Edited:

Here's a dumb little showing of holding back vs. not holding back.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Sing_compare.mp3

Regardless of how well you think I sing, I'm always going to sound far worse when I hold back.
    Thanks for the CC, I'm still working on not holding back with my singing, it's taken me a while to even get the courage to record my voice. I have recorded vocals for a new song, and they're still not as good as I want, but I think they're better. I hope to have the song done by either tonight or tomorrow, depending on if I redo the vocals. I'm also adding a drum loop and possibly synth effects if I can get it to sound right.
    By the way, I use the Lexicon Omega USB for recording, does anyone know how to add a noise gate to an input channel? There seems to be a lot of noise when I record with my mic, (Samson, not sure which model).

Thanks again though, I'm open to any criticism

24. Post #344
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    There are some vsts you can get online that work well. If I'm having a issue I usually use G8.

http://www.gvst.co.uk/ggate.htm

This would also probably work.

http://www.gvst.co.uk/ggate_screenshot.htm

Both are free.

25. Post #345
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Recorded this last night at 4AM. No mixing done. I'm trying out something where I recorded my acoustic guitar from its input, and also from a mic at the same time. Have them both panned hard. Hoping it adds to the fullness. I've also got my strat in the center doing the rhythm as well, but not sure if it is working. I think there may be some timing issues, but I should expect that when I record that late.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/The_Girl_Demo.mp3

26. Post #346
    January 2008
    281 Posts
    New song I made called Garden of Eden, sort of nice chilled out world-esque music:

http://soundcloud.com/afromike/garden-of-eden

27. Post #347
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Worked on that track again today. This is what I got. Especially need to work on the vocals and lyrics. I'm experimenting with rhythm guitar, and I think what I'm doing right now with it is causing a big loss in clarity. I think I've got three guitars doing the rhythm to try to add some depth, but I think it may be best to go to one.

After listening to it, that isn't too good. But I'm working on it.

28. Post #348
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,398 Posts
    Another song I made a few months ago but never quite finished until now:

Down-tempoish I guess. Not really sure what genre to call it. I REALLY need to find a really pro drum library for this kind of music since I'm best at it compared to other genres. I've been "recycling" the same samples for way too long now so I can't really evolve.

Edited:

New song I made called Garden of Eden, sort of nice chilled out world-esque music:

http://soundcloud.com/afromike/garden-of-eden

I posted there if you wanna see my thoughts. Great work man, I dig it.

29. Post #349
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    New version of the above.

What I'm finding hard to do is to balance the acoustic and organ. I've got them panned against each other. I may just stick the organ in the middle and hard pan the two acoustic tracks.

For some reason I really don't like using long delays for vocal effects. I prefer to do it manually.

Edited:

Another song I made a few months ago but never quite finished until now:

Down-tempoish I guess. Not really sure what genre to call it. I REALLY need to find a really pro drum library for this kind of music since I'm best at it compared to other genres. I've been "recycling" the same samples for way too long now so I can't really evolve.
    I don't like the generic structure. I called way ahead of time where each part would be coming in. Most of the electronic piece on facepunch does this. I'd advice you to experiment with creating tension and releasing it. That'll at least add some sense of purpose for changes. For example, if you were to create a lot of tension before you just go to the part of the bass, it would sound really good because then when the bass kicks by itself it will release all that tension and sound really good. When you just go to that without much or any tension, then it sounds more random.

As far as a drums go, I really like Addictive Drums. Not cheap but they are very nice. There are some other cheaper alternatives and I can imagine there is some decent free stuff out there.

30. Post #350
    January 2008
    281 Posts
    Cheers for the comments nubblecakes appreciate it. Yea my mastering isn't the best as you can tell, i think i get a bit too impatient and I end up mastering my songs just after i've finished them which isn't good because my ears won't be fresh and listening out for key things.

I love Memory Random btw, keep it up :)

31. Post #351
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,793 Posts
    I'm not too familiar with the etiquette of this thread, but I would like some input on this recording of the band I am in (Mostly mix wise, vocals have not been tracked yet):
    Things I have noted myself:
    - On some systems the low mids in the chorus are a muddle of mud, I may have to clean that up a bit.
    - Some of the guitar track's amp hiss builds up in places, I am going to have to do some audio surgery.
    - Bass distorts for 2 notes entering the second chorus

A fresh ear is going to be of great help I think.

32. Post #352
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,992 Posts
    anyone know of any delay effect I can use in Ableton to get a dubby kind of delay? like with every echo there's more highpass filter? Kinda hard for me to explain but here's an example of what I mean.

listen around 02:20
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

33. Post #353
    March 2007
    5,033 Posts
    anyone know of any delay effect I can use in Ableton to get a dubby kind of delay? like with every echo there's more highpass filter? Kinda hard for me to explain but here's an example of what I mean.

listen around 02:20
    http://www.voxengo.com/product/tempodelay/

34. Post #354
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,746 Posts
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2897141/Fresh60lyrics.mp3

A minute sample of a Dnb tune with electric guitar & singing I'm working on.

35. Post #355
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,123 Posts
    New version of the above.

What I'm finding hard to do is to balance the acoustic and organ. I've got them panned against each other. I may just stick the organ in the middle and hard pan the two acoustic tracks.

For some reason I really don't like using long delays for vocal effects. I prefer to do it manually.
    Your voice doesn't really fit in with the rest of the song. You sound too young and it isn't deep enough. It's also kind of hard to hear you at times.

This is a dnb song I am working on at the moment. The intro is just there to make the song longer.

Edited:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2897141/Fresh60lyrics.mp3

A minute sample of a Dnb tune with electric guitar & singing I'm working on.
    It doesn't really sound like DnB.
    The vocals and the guitar are pretty good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #356
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,746 Posts
    It doesn't really sound like DnB.
    The vocals and the guitar are pretty good.
    Thanks, thinking about ditching the vocals though.
    Didnt know you could media tag soundcloud, lemme try this.
    Mellow Chillout.

37. Post #357
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,123 Posts
    Thanks, thinking about ditching the vocals though.
    Didnt know you could media tag soundcloud, lemme try this.
    Mellow Chillout.
    Don't remove the vocals. That will leave big and boring spaces in your song. Also, that chillout tune is really good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #358
    November 2009
    6,138 Posts
    I'm not too familiar with the etiquette of this thread, but I would like some input on this recording of the band I am in (Mostly mix wise, vocals have not been tracked yet):
    Things I have noted myself:
    - On some systems the low mids in the chorus are a muddle of mud, I may have to clean that up a bit.
    - Some of the guitar track's amp hiss builds up in places, I am going to have to do some audio surgery.
    - Bass distorts for 2 notes entering the second chorus

A fresh ear is going to be of great help I think.
    I think the only thing that could do with some changing is the clean guitar during the distorted parts, I think giving it a bit more volume could do wonders to a song that already is really good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #359
    November 2009
    6,138 Posts
    Oh and I got a couple of songs in different stages of finishing ;

First, is a song me and a friend finished roughly two weeks ago ;

We're calling ourselves Prettosexuell and the song is called Quad Bakery And The Sexual Neglect!
    So far we haven't done any lyrics to this one, I wrote all the parts (drums, guitar and bass) but I didn't play the guitar though, my friend did that.

We're also working on another song right now (I've written all the stuff by myself in this one too) that we've got lyrics to that my buddy is going to sing (it's about hitler and stalin, it's kinda retarded lyrics).

It's going to be called Velocigina (after a really disturbing sexual fanfic I read about Jurassic Park) ;

And a couple of days I came up with a pretty simple riff, the song is probably going to be an instrumental (unless we can come up with some good lyrics), we're going to add a guitar solo to this one (that my buddy is currently writing) and is going to be the first song with an actual solo in it!

It doesn't end there though, today I came up with yet another riff that I've recorded and added some drums on (I'm currently using guitar pro RSE for that, I should get a real drum program because GP really is computerish in the sound it produces).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this song, my buddy is going to lay on some guitar and hopefully some guitar solo too and I'll write some more serious lyrics. I think this song could work with some lyrics actually!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

40. Post #360
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,746 Posts
    ... I think this song could work with some lyrics actually!
    Last one sounds the most coherent, on Velocigina, the instruments arent playing in the same chords and it makes no sense, sounds kinda nasty.