1. Post #481
    May 2008
    447 Posts
    Haven't slept for a good while, got bored at 3 AM.

I have no idea what this is Best with headphones.

It's a bit off center of what I usually make, but it you guys like it I'll upload some of my other WIP's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #482
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,123 Posts
    It sounds like you just put a bunch of random samples together. It's not good at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

3. Post #483
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,754 Posts
    This a nice chillout tune I'm working on, think I'm going to master it louder, you'll just have to turn it up for now.
    Feedback welcomed!

1000 POST GET!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #484
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    Stop using the word "master" for "mixing", ok?

But anyway, nice track. Sounds very professional.
    Reminds me of the Sim City 4 soundtrack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #485
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    A lot of people don't know the difference. You master the final mix. Mastering isn't done until you have the mix completely finished. Also, the mix and the master usually sound a good bit different. The mix is always a lot softer and more punchy.

There is a bit of an argument as to if amateur producers can really say they master their own work. Part of the issue is that traditionally the masterer is supposed to have not been involved in the making and mixing of the music at all. Beyond that, any good mastering engineer will have so much knowledge and experience that they can apply. They really know what they are doing.

I think that we try to master our own work, but what we do with mastering isn't at all comparable with the pros. If I ever made an album that I thought had potential, I would send it to a professional, no doubt. But until then, I'm just going to use T-Racks and attempt to add something to the mix.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #486
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    Meh, mastering is just the transition process from master to media. The medium in this case is the mp3-file. And with one track, the whole mastering process isliterally just rendering the track from final mix to mp3.
    Yes, "mastering" sounds cooler, but it's not interchangeable with "mixing"! You just end up sounding unprofessional.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

7. Post #487
    April 2008
    443 Posts
    FLStudio Hardstyle
    Pretty Decent ... I think ?
    LISTEN!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

8. Post #488
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,093 Posts
    This a nice chillout tune I'm working on, think I'm going to master it louder, you'll just have to turn it up for now.
    Feedback welcomed!

1000 POST GET!
    Don't compress it just for the hell of it, it's one big mistake now a days, everyone compresses out everything so much that it becomes a big loud mess in the final product.

It sounds interesting, pretty chill-out I would say.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Portugal Show Events

9. Post #489
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Meh, mastering is just the transition process from master to media. The medium in this case is the mp3-file. And with one track, the whole mastering process isliterally just rendering the track from final mix to mp3.
    You're right on a certain level, but there is typically a lot more done to a mastered track such as equalization, compression, limiting, and other stuff. After all of this, the final track is rendered. When you pay a mastering studio to master your songs, you aren't paying them to export what you are giving them into a variety of sound formats, you are paying them to put a final polish on the tracks via their extensive knowledge and expensive equipment. The mastering can often make or break a song commercially.

For more information:
    http://en.audiofanzine.com/mastering...mastering.html

Edited:

FLStudio Hardstyle
    Pretty Decent ... I think ?
    LISTEN!
    What the heck is with that drum sound. It is terribly annoying. This could sound good if it wasn't for that.

10. Post #490
    January 2010
    383 Posts
    What the heck is with that drum sound. It is terribly annoying. This could sound good if it wasn't for that.
    Its a hardstyle kick which tho kinda lacks power. Not your genre perhaps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

11. Post #491
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,754 Posts
    Don't compress it just for the hell of it, it's one big mistake now a days, everyone compresses out everything so much that it becomes a big loud mess in the final product.

It sounds interesting, pretty chill-out I would say.
    Thanks, I do want it louder but if it compromises the quality then I wont.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #492
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Loudness doesn't compromise quality unless your kill the dynamics. The best way for you to kill your dynamics would be to take a compressor, up the level by a lot and put the ratio to infinity. This will act as a limiter because nothing will get above the threshold. Oh, and the threshold would need to be set rather high, although you could set it low and then just up the level after. Doing this will make everything loud, which is generally bad because dynamics are seen as a crucial part of music.

Edited:

Its a hardstyle kick which tho kinda lacks power. Not your genre perhaps.
    No the issue is that it sounds bad. To explain a bit why it sounds bad, it doesn't go with the music, it feels like it doesn't belong, it is cutting into the other instruments, it takes too much focus away from the other parts. I just listened to some music with that in it and it is there but sounds a lot better because it is mixed in better and doesn't take away focus. The sample being used seems to be of poor quality, and the lack of it changing doesn't help it.

It would probably sound alright if it was mixed in better.

13. Post #493
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,093 Posts
    Thanks, I do want it louder but if it compromises the quality then I wont.
    A bit of compression is actually beneficial for the song because it helps the various instruments blend a lot better but it's a "dangerous" weapon, it's very easy to lose perception and you may compress too much due to the way ears perceive the sound (the ears naturally perceive loud sounds more interesting than quieter ones) but as Pepin said compression kills dynamics of the song. It's a thing you must try and see what suits best for you.

14. Post #494
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,061 Posts
    The automation is the first of its kind apparently.
    'ere we go. Though I like how the marketing material claims it has shit that's new or unique which...everything has. Haven't seen that since Protools pretend automatic delay compensation was a new thing. Though the integrated mastering and publishing stuff is kinda neat. Always needed something to equalize my volumes for me on the final render. Still, Presonus + anything makes me squicky. Don't trust them for shit these days.

Yeah, everything's more or less the same (excluding intentional gimping in non-HD copies of Protools), but there's always one "we do this best" thing. With Traktion it's that even an idiot could use it, Mixcraft that even a blind idiot with tuberculosis could use it, Renoise has the tracker, Reason has the inbuilt synthesizer suite, Ableton has the slimmest CPU consumption, Logic has...something, Cubase has the best functionality with VSTs, Soundforge has Izotope mastering tool integration, FL Studio has speed, Cakewalk has a nice ass, and apparently Studio One has some fresh automation method? I didn't see it in the video but I will take your word for it.

I keep wanting to find something that'll let me do orchestral stuff with better articulation control than FL Studio that isn't Cubase, 'cuz the GUI drives me up a fucking wall. Fucking Finale should get Rewire compatibility and have VSL/EW sync their shit with it like Garritan did.

15. Post #495
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Hmm, I'm singing with a piano. I like it. I need to make another song or something.

Edited:

Singing with the piano may be very good for me because I can play the chords in the bottom and then play a melody up higher. I never think about the notes that I'm singing because I usually just improvise. I'd like to be more aware.

16. Post #496
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    Compression is the shit. Dynamics suck. When a song starts, the needles should jump to 0 and stay there, frozen solid, for the entire song. Hell, pretty much all pop, rock, and metal since the late 70's is compressed in this manner. It's just the way it's done nowadays! I love it. You do too. Of course you can over-do it, but it's generally much better to have compressed something too much than too little.
    Doing this will make everything loud, which is generally bad because dynamics are seen as a crucial part of music.
    Genres where dynamics are a key aspect:[list][*]Romantic classical music. [*]Epic movie soundtracks.[/list]Sure, there is also the kind of dynamics, prevalent in dance music for example, where you might want a strong beat.
    But that stuff has also been compressed the hell out of. Then you've just played some with the levels to make the kick stand out more.

Bring on the boxes..!
    :3:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #497
    Dennab
    August 2010
    2,462 Posts
    Would this be the right section to look after someone to do a request? Its about making an extended version of a song in the "rock" genre.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events

18. Post #498
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,093 Posts
    Compression is the shit. Dynamics suck. When a song starts, the needles should jump to 0 and stay there, frozen solid, for the entire song. Hell, pretty much all pop, rock, and metal since the late 70's is compressed in this manner. It's just the way it's done nowadays! I love it. You do too. Of course you can over-do it, but it's generally much better to have compressed something too much than too little.

Genres where dynamics are a key aspect:[list][*]Romantic classical music. [*]Epic movie soundtracks.[/list]Sure, there is also the kind of dynamics, prevalent in dance music for example, where you might want a strong beat.
    But that stuff has also been compressed the hell out of. Then you've just played some with the levels to make the kick stand out more.

Bring on the boxes..!
    Read what I said, it could be beneficial but if it's overused it can ruin a song, and now a days most people abuse it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Portugal Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

19. Post #499
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts

Bring on the boxes..!
    I'd strongly disagree. Actually, any kind of music with more classical instruments needs a larger dynamic range. The loudness war really didn't start until the 90's. It sounds terrible because all you hear is noise. Most kind of pop songs with a loud part will mostly sound like just noise during the loud parts, and even a lot of pop rock songs. Any and every genre does better with wider dynamics. Some genres need less of a dynamic range, but getting rid of the dynamic range all together just doesn't sound good.

Death Magnetic was ruined a good bit by the loudness war. I like the songs, but I really don't like the mixing. I've heard a lot of people complain about over compression sucking the life out of The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

20. Post #500
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,061 Posts

Bring on the boxes..!
    Sarcasm rainbows.

Personally I like trying to find a middle ground between ze soopa modunn hypercompression and still having some room for shit to bodangle. Make your own knees, fight the mane.

21. Post #501
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    Read what I said, it could be beneficial but if it's overused it can ruin a song, and now a days most people abuse it.

Great example. You take something that's already fully compressed, and then intentially overdo it to compare.

The loudness wars is about overdoing it (though personally, I don't even mind that either, since I listen to almost all of my music using headphones and mid-quality speakers). And it's about raising the overall volume, not flattening it (though, that is something you want to do in order to get a louder master. ). But if you want to discuss the loudness war, that's another topic!

Back to what I was talking about...
    For example, the album Thriller by MJ is pretty much fully compressed. There isn't any real dynamics to be found. The volume is very much constant through the entire song, regardless of the number of tracks/instruments playing. And it sounds excellent. It has been the standard ever since the technique was invented.

Look, can you just give me some examples of tracks which you think are dynamic? I'll shut up.

22. Post #502
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Voices by Dream Theater. A lot of the Doors Music has great dynamics. A lot of Pink Floyd, but I'm not sure if the remastered stuff would be good to check out. Shine On You Crazy Diamonds really glimmers because of the dynamics. Much of The Final Cut relies on dynamics, a good example of this is The Gunner's Dream. Bucket Head and Jeff Beck would be good to check out because they are big into using dynamics, and having their guitars being over-compressed would not go well with their music.

As far as Thriller, pop has always tried to be loud, and it's gotten louder and louder over the years. I think it is acceptable for radio material to be overly compressed because if it isn't the piece is far less likely to get attention and that's the entire point of putting songs on the radio. I'm more against doing it to every song because it only takes away quality. You can have a great sounding song that is overly compressed, but it is going to sound better with a greater dynamic range. I always find it incredibly annoying when the soft part of songs are as loud as the loud parts. I also find it incredibly fatiguing when everything is at one volume.

Just to make sure I'm being clear what I'm saying, I am not saying compression is bad at all, what I am saying is that limiting the dynamic range to extremes has a negative effect on the music.

23. Post #503
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,093 Posts
    Great example. You take something that's already fully compressed, and then intentially overdo it to compare.

The loudness wars is about overdoing it (though personally, I don't even mind that either, since I listen to almost all of my music using headphones and mid-quality speakers). And it's about raising the overall volume, not flattening it (though, that is something you want to do in order to get a louder master. ). But if you want to discuss the loudness war, that's another topic!

Back to what I was talking about...
    For example, the album Thriller by MJ is pretty much fully compressed. There isn't any real dynamics to be found. The volume is very much constant through the entire song, regardless of the number of tracks/instruments playing. And it sounds excellent. It has been the standard ever since the technique was invented.

Look, can you just give me some examples of tracks which you think are dynamic? I'll shut up.
    Why would you prefer to make the track more flat to be more louder than to put the volume up yourself?
    What Pepin said is true, it's not bad but it could be if overused, radios are the exception because all the track must be at the same level of volume.

24. Post #504
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Darn, I hate it when I put a lot of work into a song and find that my earlier versions were far better. I guess it is a good thing that I keep a copy of each version.

Edited:

What I'm going for with an opening track. Been working on the guitar part just kind of improvising it and this is what I recorded tonight. When I can't sleep I make music. I think I'm going to have to solidify it instead of just improvising. As much as I like improvising everything, it would turn out a lot better if it wasn't improvised.

25. Post #505
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    Ok I think there are misunderstandings at work here.
    When you mean dynamics, you mean material that hasn't been overly compressed. I pretty much think the dynamics are pretty much the same. Like degrees in hell. Because when I mean dynamics, I mean stuff like this:

I listened to what you suggested, and I think they all sound very consistent, and you probably understand why I'd call them dynamic free when compared to above example. So I guess we just have different values.
    Why would you prefer to make the track more flat to be more louder than to put the volume up yourself?
    Are you referring to my praise of the loudness war?
    Hah, you can literally see the lack of dynamics here! It's just one big rectangle. But it sounds nice I think.

26. Post #506
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,123 Posts
    ALRIGHT! So, I updated my track. What do you guys think?

Edited:

Also, shitty vocal sample is shitty

27. Post #507
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,754 Posts
    I think you can get away with it more when its electronic/synth music.

28. Post #508
    April 2008
    443 Posts
    WIp of a random song I just started ...
    Need advice about the Chorus ... Sounds too similar to the Rest of the Song ...

29. Post #509
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,123 Posts
    I think the snare needs a little bit of extra power. Also, turn the volume up a bit.

30. Post #510
    April 2008
    443 Posts
    If i turn the volume up a little bit it's distorting ...

31. Post #511
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    368 Posts
    If i turn the volume up a little bit it's distorting ...
    turn everything else down in the mix then

32. Post #512
    April 2008
    443 Posts
    I mean the General Volume :)
    If i want to make everything louder It starts distorting the whole track ...

33. Post #513
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Turn down the volume on the master slider. Raising one thing shouldn't risk clipping. Or put it through a compressor with a ratio around 2 and a threshold around 12 db. Mess around with the attack and release. You could also use a limiter

34. Post #514
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    819 Posts
    Red Alert 2 Tension remix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-oLdC67bKU
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

35. Post #515
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,123 Posts
    I really like it. It's too short though.
    Also, I was bored.

36. Post #516
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    My most popular song is a Twinkle Twinkle Little Star parody. Maybe I should sell out and just do parody songs. Another idea would be to have a song build up each day like they do with the 25 days of Christmas. I'm thinking the 420 days of 420.

37. Post #517
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,061 Posts
    Oh fucking fuck fuck fuck fuckity fuckshit fuckdamn.

I completely missed that I had a judge review thread on OCR for some stupid Cybernators remix I did waaaaay back.
    http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29101
    Two yes, three resubmit, one no. Can I resubmit it? Of fucking course not, I deleted that piece of shit a year ago and and the majority of instruments used on it because it was a test run for Omnisphere, which I promptly decided I hated, uninstalled, and broke the disks of.

Though now I at least remember I was trying to get something on there, once upon a time. I should probably have another go at that.

38. Post #518
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Screw Native Instruments and their free Reaktor 5 software that I can't uninstall. I don't like you, get off my hard drive.

39. Post #519
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,061 Posts
    Reaktor 5 isn't free. You mean you got the player for some reason? Because I think then you just use the Windows add/remove function or just delete everything yourself. They're trying to put as little bullshit on the system as possible, not pull a Norton.

Though if you've got the player, you should keep it. I'm going to probably make a synth and effect unit or two once I get the platform down.

40. Post #520
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    They have a the player for free with some a free factory selection.
    http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...ktor-5-player/

The windows uninstall isn't working. With the free version and everything it didn't seem to come with any synths, it would only play presets of sampled sounds if that makes sense.